Photo

Inventory Size

10 replies to this topic
Neon_Dreaming
  • Neon_Dreaming

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

This is something that was brought up several times in the Toning Down Weaponary thread so I thought I'd create a thread to discuss it specifically.

Since Gta 3 the weapon inventory has consisted of the following. 1 melee weapon, pistol, smg, shotgun, assault rifle, sniper, heavy weapon, and a throwable weapon. You could carry plenty of ammo for each of these.

Gta V increased the size of the inventory, you could carry multiple variants of the same weapon, 6 pistols, 5 assault rifles, a minigun, rpg, and a grenade launcher etc.

Some people are in favour of a very stripped back inventory, simular to the Max Payne style, rifle and a pistol, or two pistols and a smg for example, and along with this you carry less ammunition.

I can see the appeal in all three options, the classic Gta gives you a loadout for any occasion, the V method gives you an arsenal to cause wide scale destruction with, while the Max Payne inventory allows a more tactical approach, conserving ammunition, having to carefully choose what limited weapons to bring for different scenarios.

So my question boils down to which would you prefer, and your opinions on the other inventory types and how they could effect gameplay? For me the Max Payne method interests me but for it to work the gameplay would need altering, enemies would have to play by the same rules, having limited ammunition like you. Would you have to store larger weapons in a bag or under clothes, if not, then why the limited inventory?

Note: I realise this discussion can be broken down into "if we can drop weapons it doesn't matter" But for discussions sake what is your opinion on the above.

ViceOfLiberty
  • ViceOfLiberty

Prankster

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

Great topic. Reserving this spot

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 4 weeks ago

I do prefer a Max Payne-ish method, maybe with not enough inventory slots to carry every single weapon (maybe 5), and with the ability to carry less ammo than in past games. In some ocasions, you'd have 1000+ bullets for any mission, so you could waste lots and lots of them by killing one enemy, that would drop even more ammo. Also, you'd get tons of money that you could spend on another 1000+ bullets, so I think this takes away most of the fun in missions. I'd love a more tactical approach, however, this would mean that they'd need to improve Stealth and Melee significantly in case you don't have lots of ammo.

Queen Elizabeth II
  • Queen Elizabeth II

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 4 weeks ago

I've seen a couple of topics which were related to that subject. Interesting.

In my opinion there's nothing wrong with having every kind of weapon in our inventory - like in Grand Theft Auto III - IV. In GTA IV I use only a knife, a pistol and sometimes something larger, so I don't care about other weapons - I always change my guns using numbers (1 - 9) so I don't have to go through every single weapon just to take out M4 or Sniper Rifle. That's fine with me.

That doesn't mean that I wouldn't love to see a change - I would, certainly. I want it to be like in Max Payne 3, where we can carry only a limited amount of weapons. I remember that many people speculated (before GTA IV was released) that we could put bigger guns (like Carbine Rifles) in trunks of our cars. Sadly, it didn't happen - I hope that it will happen in Grand Theft Auto: Next. 

I wouldn't like it to be like in Grand Theft Auto V. I think that having all weapons in our inventory is just too much. I hate it.

GTAUrbanCamping
  • GTAUrbanCamping

Urban Camper

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

Its annoying trying to skip passed the musket to get to a good shotgun...or a smoke grenade to get to sticky bomb in the heat of the moment. Might just be me, though

Matrelith
  • Matrelith

Inveniam viam aut faciam

• Facade
  • Netherlands

Posted 4 weeks ago

Actually it's only since Max Payne 3 that players can only carry one handgun and one long gun, or two pistols. Max Payne 1 and 2 also allowed multiple guns of the same kind to be carried. 

Spoiler

As for myself I'm in favor of a large weapon loadout akin to GTA 5, because it caters to everyone's wants and needs. Only want to use one pistol and long gun? Then only use those and don't use the other weapons. Want to quickly blow up a helicopter that's chasing you? Whip out an RPG and deal with it. A group of cars blocking your way out? Whip out a grenade launcher and clear a path. Everybody wins.

GTA-Biker
  • GTA-Biker

Let's Rock

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 4 weeks ago

While it is a bit annoying that in GTA 5/Online we have to scroll through the a bunch of guns in the inventory to find a gun we want,it's actually quite useful to have multiple guns from the same category (for example,MP5 is more powerful and accurate than smaller SMGs like Micro Uzi or Tec 9,but it can't be used for a drive by).It would be cool if there was a decent variety of guns in each category and we could carry multiple of them,but also have the Online's ability to drop any of them in case we don't like it.

Alternatively,my idea is to have one of larger guns of each category (one shotgun, one assault rifle, one sniper rifle, one larger SMG like MP5 and full size Uzi, one heavy weapon) and two of smaller guns (two handguns, two smaller SMGs instead of one larger SMG, maybe a sawed off shotty) in the inventory,and have the option to either use one of the smaller ones or dual wield both (for example,a Glock and a Beretta, a Desert Eagle and a Colt Python, a Micro Uzi and a Tec 9, a Tec 9 and a sawed off shotgun...).

Charlottes
  • Charlottes

911SC girl

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 3 weeks ago

I wonder if it'd be more interesting to have the option to carry 8 weapons, period, like...If you wanted to be traditional you could have one weapon of each type in each slot but, let's say you don't really like shotguns? put another smg or whatever in that space, maximize your potential while not being comically overpowered

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

Gta gives you a loadout for any occasion, the V method gives you an arsenal to cause wide scale destruction with, while the Max Payne inventory allows a more tactical approach, conserving ammunition, having to carefully choose what limited weapons to bring for different scenarios.

Sorry to say, but I think you are missing a couple of important points here.

Firstly, Is Max Payne an open world game?

Secondly, What is the difference between both methods - Max Payne giving you a limited combat options (which means the same; whether you limit inventory size, or amount of weapons allowed to carry for a particular weapon class), and the freedom to choose the amount/type of weapons you wish to carry in GTA V, or even GTA SA?

Lastly, Imagine travelling back and forth to the ammunition store for purchasing weapons due to limited inventory size on massive map (from one end to another) like GTA V, compared to linear, corridor shooter like Max Payne?

The suggestion to "limit inventory size" makes absolutely no sense for GTA, at all. Because, the inventory management part is not developers headache, since GTA V is an open world game, in which the designers cannot force the player to play in a controlled environment as it clashes with the "feeling of freedom" that all the GTA's (except for GTA IV) offered.

I don't understand how hard is it to impose self-rule (roleplaying) that automatically empowers you to manage the inventory the way you want (apart from not being able to drop weapons, which is a separate, but a genuine issue)????

Those who prefer MP/IV style inventory seem quite selfish and one sided in their views, as you guys are completely ignoring to understand the other side who don't like limitations of any kind. 

The only issue that needs to be addressed is to allow the players to drop weapons in the next game.

Neon_Dreaming
  • Neon_Dreaming

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

I don't understand how hard is it to impose self-rule (roleplaying) that automatically empowers you to manage the inventory the way you want (apart from not being able to drop weapons, which is a separate, but a genuine issue)????

Those who prefer MP/IV style inventory seem quite selfish and one sided in their views, as you guys are completely ignoring to understand the other side who don't like limitations of any kind. 
The only issue that needs to be addressed is to allow the players to drop weapons in the next game.

I said in my op that the ability to drop weapons was the obvious solution, I just thought this thread would be a place for people to state their prefences and ideas for their ideal inventory system. I totally get people wanting a large inventory, it's probably the majority view and that's cool. I get why people wouldn't be in favour of a limited system. I don't think anybody is saying the Gta inventory has to be a certain way, we're just spitballing ideas that appeal to us.

ViceOfLiberty
  • ViceOfLiberty

Prankster

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by ViceOfLiberty, 3 weeks ago.

Still haven't had time to post but..

Games are defined by their limitations. Rules are what gives games their own identities. GTA is becoming less of a crime game and more of a Second Life sandbox.

Not being able to hold a gun in my own garage is much more restricting to me than ONLY being able to carry 8 guns at once.

If everyone has every gun all the time with no pros and cons to loadouts, and there is no downside to switching through them during combat, then every character will automatically default to the same weapon, reducing the combat to a repetitive use of the most powerful weapon.

The only way to balance out carrying every weapon is to make it optional with a place to store your crap and have the player lose all carried items upon death. Risk.

I'm in favor of the old system where you had one of each weapon type, and had to scroll through them to swap. This eliminates the ease of switching from melee to rifle to rpg to grenade so quickly, without leaving yourself open to being hit.

Also I would severely limit the amount of explosives carried and have grenades and molotovs be the only weapons to be thrown out of a car.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users