GTA V inspiration?

14 replies to this topic
Tengerecki
  • Tengerecki

Rat

• Members
  • Hungary

Posted 4 weeks ago

A couple of days ago I watched the movie "Heat (1995)" starring Robert De Niro and Al Pacino. It's a masterpiece...a masterpiece just like GTA V.

The first 20 minutes of the movie is about robbing a van and it instantly reminded me of GTA V Blitz Play mission. And then the entire movie reminded me of GTA V. Robert De Niro looked 90% like Michael, dressed like Michael, about as old as Michael, same hairstyle, and so on. So it's more than obvious (to me) that Rockstar was inspired by this movie when they created Michael. There was a guy that kinda reminded me of Lester as well except he didn't have any leg problems.

Similar scenes:

GTA V (trailer)

VNtnMv4.jpg

Heat

c0EZU8c.png

GTA V (Blitz Play)

7THdjjQ.jpg

Heat (see how the van was rammed by a truck just like in GTA V and also the robbers are wearing similar masks and carrying carbine rifles)

onCWqKB.png

GTA V (Lester)

jNpw6nx.jpg

Heat (I think Lester was inspired by him)

ggSZbhc.png

So I think it's safe to say that GTA V's Michael (as well as Lester and maybe some other side characters) was inspired by this movie.

But what were the other 2 GTA V protagonists (Trevor and Franklin) inspired by? Any ideas? (Remember how GTA Vice City was inspired by Scarface ,etc)

• ChiroVette, theGTAking101 and CGFforLife like this

ACM-Jan
  • ACM-Jan

Usually helpful, BUT very defensive upon disrespect

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 4 weeks ago

thats old info, everyone who knows enough about gta 5 knows that!

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

A couple of days ago I watched the movie "Heat (1995)" starring Robert De Niro and Al Pacino. It's a masterpiece...a masterpiece just like GTA V.

I totally agree, great observations. Thanks for taking the time to post all those comparison shots, too. Basing a the game after great LA classic crime dramas and Americana lore is one of the many reasons why V is, as you said, a masterpiece and why I love the story so much.

gonnaenodaethat
  • gonnaenodaethat

Yellow Car!!!

• Members

Posted 4 weeks ago

Those pesky Houser brothers have been on the chorie regards script ideas for years.

Total pauchel merchants...

Tengerecki
  • Tengerecki

Rat

• Members
  • Hungary

Posted 4 weeks ago

Well I just figured it out so it's new for me.

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

Well I just figured it out so it's new for me.

Plus, who cares if its old. We are all GTA fans here, and some of us appreciate seeing stuff we already know shown visually in pictorials.
  • gunziness and Tengerecki like this

ACM-Jan
  • ACM-Jan

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 4 weeks ago

I'ts annoying if people aren't checking up what has been posted and what is new

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by ChiroVette, 4 weeks ago.

I'ts annoying if people aren't checking up what has been posted and what is new

No, what's annoying is people expecting EVERY thread to be vetted through committee and meticulously referenced like a research paper submitted for Peer Review before being published in the New England Journal of Medicine. What's also annoying is back-seat moderating from members who forget that not every single topic should be so thoroughly scrutinized before it can be posted an informal forum like this.

For instance, people who have complaints can easily find the Whinge & Bitch thread or the SP DLC topics because they are on the first page. But threads on this topic are a little more obscure. Not to mention the last topic on Heat Vs V was from about 8 months ago.

• GTAUrbanCamping likes this

GTAUrbanCamping
  • GTAUrbanCamping

Urban Camper

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

Never seen the movie but now may want to.
I loved that mission.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, WILLY!

• Facade
  • United-States
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 4 weeks ago

It's just one of those things that's painfully obvious. Heat is to GTA 5 what Scarface is to Vice City. 

• Pastry likes this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 4 weeks ago

Don't see the issue of it being brought up even if it's common knowledge.

Now we're on the subject does anyone know of any other strong inspirations that are perhaps less known?
  • theGTAking101 likes this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

Don't see the issue of it being brought up even if it's common knowledge.

I know, right? :)

Now we're on the subject does anyone know of any other strong inspirations that are perhaps less known?

This may not be an actual inspiration for V, but I was re-watching a couple of the Lethal Weapon movies, set in LA, and even though Riggs and Murtaugh are cops, the films have an LA vibe loosely reminded me of V. This is a bit of a stretch, because the genres are completely different, but I love the show Californication, and every once in a while, when I have an episode on something in it reminds me of V.

I think that my references are just subliminally because they are set in LA. But I have the feeling that the Housers drew on a lot of the LA-vibe entertainment, not just the obvious criminal ones like Heat.

• Algonquin Assassin likes this

ACM-Jan
  • ACM-Jan

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by ACM-Jan, 4 weeks ago.

OK, this is actually less brought up topic and many don't read every topic in main page daily so it might be useful to have own topic for inspirational material for GTA V.

BUT that don't give the "Mr. argument-heater" (AKA chirovette) any right to start argument from small opinion which can be wrong as opinions quite often are.

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by ChiroVette, 4 weeks ago.

OK, this is actually less brought up topic and many don't read every topic in main page daily so it might be useful to have own topic for inspirational material for GTA V.

BUT that don't give the "Mr. argument-heater" (AKA chirovette) any right to start argument from small opinion which can be wrong as opinions quite often are.

lol Mr. Argument Heater. I love it. I think I want to change my forum name now!

Also, no offense, but when you post things in a public discussion-forum, you should really be prepared to have them, ya know, discussed. So while you may not like me expressing my opinions about your opinions, it isn't accurate to assert that I don't have any right to express them as you are doing.

Seriously, dude, it's all good. But if you want your opinions out there completely unchallenged, might I suggest that you start a blog and disable comments? You could also have kids and beat them regularly every time they talk. But do you really think that getting your panties in a twist because your assertions in a forum are challenged is even healthy?

TheOriginalGunslinger
  • TheOriginalGunslinger

Rocktober!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by TheOriginalGunslinger, 4 weeks ago.

- Neil and Michael each had there own quote they'd often mention at times.

Neil McCauley: A guy told me one time, 'Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner.'

Michael: You forget a thousand things everyday pal, make sure this is one of them.

- Lester was also a tiny bit inspired by Kelso.

- There is also a nod to the movie when purchasing masks for the "Blitz Play" mission setup. (Cliche - Purchase hockey masks for each character) This is seen on the mission objective checklist for a Gold Medal at the end of the masks being purchased.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users