Quantcast

» «
Photo

Would you prefer starting GTA Online with all the content now?

96 replies to this topic
-LN-
  • -LN-

Acquired Taste

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

All this some people say about "Oh, it's so divisive lately" - who is it dividing? How badly can it really be dividing people? That there's a few military vehicles (mostly old ones that have returned) - how many people are going to be divided over that? Were these people who even played the old games in the first place, and remember what they had in them?

There's not enough whiney people for it to cause that much division. If it divides the rest of us from the 10 or so people crying about the Hunter and military vehicles, then so be it - I'd gladly "divide" and not have those people lol.

There's a small handful of things I don't like - but other people do like them, so I'm not about to say they should go on my behalf. Then there's the odd thing most people probably would agree on seeing go - moving while sniping, instant suicide, that kind of thing. Though then again, there's probably a sizeable amount of people who like these things, and for non-obnoxious purposes. Who am I to judge?

In regards to the division (not Tom Clancy's game), I am talking about the direction and feel of the game as opposed to the addition of military vehicles. The vehicles are not necessarily the central part of the equation here; it has much more to do with shifting the focus of the game from individual job modes (contained within actual game mode lobbies) to running businesses and the like within the free roam environment. This is where GTA truly lost me and others that I know; the vast majority of my early friendships from the game were established through a mutual love and appreciation for playing jobs, not grinding our brains out or griefing within public free roam lobbies.

Granted, the game is getting older and older, so naturally people have moved on and/or burnt out for a wide variety of different reasons. However, I do think if the game had neglected individual job modes from the very beginning and always had this raging hard on for doing everything within public free roam lobbies, it would have been much more difficult to find and establish groups of players who were solely interested in playing jobs and the like--especially if things were as expensive back then as they are now.

So, that's my view and it really has nothing to do with adding certain vehicles or any vehicles for that matter. I could unleash some blame towards 'Cunning Stunts' for changing the racing scene so drastically, but that's an entirely different tangent.

• IamCourtney, alkaline_ and Melkor1993 like this

DeXiovi
  • DeXiovi

Peon

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 3 weeks ago

I don't think I would have succeeded as much as I have if I had started now.

*old man voice* Back in my day, all we had were missions to make money. Not any of this new heist technology all them kids have these days. We had to work hard to get what we wanted, and it built *CHARACTER*. :p :p :p

Really though, I'm somewhat proud and grateful for the BS time and effort I had to put to get what I have today from 2013. And I have a certain respect for everyone else that had to do the same from then. People these days have it too easy.
  • Rafae likes this

Rafae
  • Rafae

OG

• GTAF Crew
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

I've been doing contact missions and Heists only these last two days just for old times' sake

Gotta say they felt far more entertaining and thrilling than the fetch quests we've been getting for more than a year now 😂
  • elfoam, Smooth Longsack, -LN- and 1 other like this

IamCourtney
  • IamCourtney

Homie

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 3 weeks ago

All this some people say about "Oh, it's so divisive lately" - who is it dividing? How badly can it really be dividing people? That there's a few military vehicles (mostly old ones that have returned) - how many people are going to be divided over that? Were these people who even played the old games in the first place, and remember what they had in them?

There's not enough whiney people for it to cause that much division. If it divides the rest of us from the 10 or so people crying about the Hunter and military vehicles, then so be it - I'd gladly "divide" and not have those people lol.

There's a small handful of things I don't like - but other people do like them, so I'm not about to say they should go on my behalf. Then there's the odd thing most people probably would agree on seeing go - moving while sniping, instant suicide, that kind of thing. Though then again, there's probably a sizeable amount of people who like these things, and for non-obnoxious purposes. Who am I to judge?

In regards to the division (not Tom Clancy's game), I am talking about the direction and feel of the game as opposed to the addition of military vehicles. The vehicles are not necessarily the central part of the equation here; it has much more to do with shifting the focus of the game from individual job modes (contained within actual game mode lobbies) to running businesses and the like within the free roam environment. This is where GTA truly lost me and others that I know; the vast majority of my early friendships from the game were established through a mutual love and appreciation for playing jobs, not grinding our brains out or griefing within public free roam lobbies.

Granted, the game is getting older and older, so naturally people have moved on and/or burnt out for a wide variety of different reasons. However, I do think if the game had neglected individual job modes from the very beginning and always had this raging hard on for doing everything within public free roam lobbies, it would have been much more difficult to find and establish groups of players who were solely interested in playing jobs and the like--especially if things were as expensive back then as they are now.

So, that's my view and it really has nothing to do with adding certain vehicles or any vehicles for that matter. I could unleash some blame towards 'Cunning Stunts' for changing the racing scene so drastically, but that's an entirely different tangent.

For me it works the other way 'round. From day one, Freeroam is where I wanted to be, and I spent the vast majority of my time there even back in the days where it had few real opportunities for making money or ranking up. I looked at the instanced game modes as something I needed to do to get some cash or grind to lvl 120, and I generally liked them well enough, but I always felt GTAO was wasting so much potential by treating Freeroam as not much more than a lobby between entirely segregated game modes. The game didn't truly open up for me until the VIP update and what followed after.

Having said that, I don't like the neglect of instanced modes, especially the PvE modes like Contact Missions and Heists. I still appreciate them and enjoy hopping into a few jobs a lot more now that they aren't the only show in town, and it really is the best place to meet new people within the game, at least in my experience. The cooperative nature of them tends to make friends and allies out of people who would either ignore you or attack you on the streets of FR...

The only real additions we've seen to the PvE side have been Special Vehicle missions, many of which can be fun and challenging but are low-paying and largely abandoned after the first week once most people have unlocked the discount for their associated vehicle. I'd love to see a new batch of content that combines the freedom-of-method offered by Contact Missions with the challenging and potentially rewarding Elite Challenges from Heists, possibly with some kind of light narrative element running through them. I always enjoy seeing Courtney interact with NPCs a bit during cutscenes, its a nice way to add a bit of personality to the game so long as it isn't overdone.

The way I see it, the main division in GTAO's community lies between the people who play it as a 'main game,' regularly over the long-term and those who hop into it for an hour or two every so often to just goof of and blow off steam with some friends or whatever. The former type of player is likely to focus on Freeroam, whether it be running businesses, PvP or some mixture of the two, probably with some PacStan in the mix. They're likely to be self-sufficient and able to buy what they want/need through in-game earnings, with some Shark Card sales coming in from those short on time or patience.

Meanwhile, R*'s development of the other side, separated game mode side of GTAO has lately been almost entirely focused on Adversary Modes which appeal to the latter type of player by showcasing the hottest new toys in a gimmicky gamemode which they hope will entice such players to buy themselves a Bombushka, Oppressor, etc. to mess around with and sell some Sharks in the process. Those who want to stick around long-term but prefer instanced PvE are left without much to do :(

tl;dr: Freeroam has had its share of the attention for quite a while now, why not focus elsewhere for a while R*?

• Rafae, Smooth Longsack and -LN- like this

AredTarg
  • AredTarg

Arthur Morgan! Keep her in all black!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

I've been doing contact missions and Heists only these last two days just for old times' sake

Gotta say they felt far more entertaining and thrilling than the fetch quests we've been getting for more than a year now 😂

I'm not surprised! Lol
  • Rafae, elfoam and Melkor1993 like this

-RP-
  • -RP-

Producer

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by -RP-, 3 weeks ago.

No, It would be overwhelming. Glad I'm a day 1 player and experienced it the way it was meant to be.

• Rafae likes this

-RP-
  • -RP-

Producer

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by -RP-, 3 weeks ago.

Nope, heh, imagine loading into the game and seeing how f*cking expensive everything is as a level one!

It's funny, I did this for my channel to show low ranks how to make money. The amount of calls you get for million dollar properties is asinine.  Also very little calls from contact missions. Shame none of the new players get the day 1 experience. Always got to start with contact missions and then move your way up.

• Rafae likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users