Quantcast

» «
Photo

Would you prefer starting GTA Online with all the content now?

96 replies to this topic
AredTarg
  • AredTarg

Arthur Morgan! Keep her in all black!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

GTA Online has changed so much since 2013, those who played since the beginning know how it was then. But now it's 2017, a whole new period. If GTA Online started in 2013, with all the content it has now, would you enjoy it much more? I personally would. The only downside would be having no idea where to start, where to begin, and which direction to take.
  • Matrelith likes this

Prince_Polaris
  • Prince_Polaris

Where did I park my Tornado?

• Members
  • United-States
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner

Posted 3 weeks ago

Nope, heh, imagine loading into the game and seeing how f*cking expensive everything is as a level one!

• Mattoropael, askinnywhitedildo, Arrows to Athens and 6 others like this

elfoam
  • elfoam

OG

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 3 weeks ago

Hell no, the game is impossible to get anywhere starting from nothing now. Like you'd be stupid and mad to even attempt that.

DangerZ0neX
  • DangerZ0neX

It's K-Logg, dammit!

• Members
  • Saudi-Arabia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 3 weeks ago

No, I actually preferred it when Freeroam was just that; a map to roam freely and relax in with friends.

I liked having activities like deathmatches and Heists being kept in their own area and place. I could join people who know how to efficiently finish each set-up in record time and complete the entire heist with no sweat one minute, I could be duking it out with skilled players in Forced weapons-only deathmatches the next minute, and I could just get in one of my cars and drive around at high speed towards a clothing store to give my character something new to wear with the cash I earned without ever hearing any explosion or gunshot around me or see my feed literally fill the entire screen.

If GTAO started out to what it is now, I would rather buy the PC copy of GTA V and enjoy modding it to my amusement as the Trio while having fun with the Online-only content.

• puredorian, Insane Clown, askinnywhitedildo and 16 others like this

BumpyJohnson
  • BumpyJohnson

Original Gangsta

• Members

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by BumpyJohnson, 3 weeks ago.

No.  I hate all the army crap in the game now.  I also liked evolving my character along with the game.

• puredorian, robban, Alvarez and 3 others like this

0CypherP
  • 0CypherP

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 3 weeks ago

It doesn't matter to me,but i am pretty sure many people who played back there in 2013,feels ashamed by the way this game took,from simple criminals on the streets we have now a lot of military stuff,flying bikes and an broke PVP that hasn't been fixed and isn't going to be fixed.

The only thing that would change would be that,people who left this game behind in maybe 2014-2015 or last year would have left the game much more time ago

Also many people still play today this game because they can't just leave,not after all the work they had to get stuff in this game,but if they knew this game would become this we see today,they wouldn't still be here.
  • puredorian, Arrows to Athens, BLACK DYNAM1TE and 3 others like this

Rewdalf
  • Rewdalf

Can't tell if I'm being sarcastic or not? I probably am.

• Facade Corporation
  • Bulgaria

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Rewdalf, 3 weeks ago.

Almost certainly not.

There's nothing wrong with having expensive items in a game. Gives you a goal to work towards, thus giving the game reason.

But there's no balance in GTA:O.

Not to mention, it forces PvP so maliciously that advancement is worse than pulling teeth, especially when everyone else has better gear than you.

See, in a normal game higher level players eventually graduate to a higher level area where they meet opponents with similar skills and resources.

Here, not only can a level one with zero resources be fighting a level 8000 kingpin with billions of dollars and every weapon in the game in their back pocket, but the AI have one single difficulty that's pound-you-in-the-ass annoying even if you're the level 8000 with everything...

Only reason I still play is because I'm that guy who owns everything, and buys all the new sh*t when it releases.

Only difference is I find joy in sharing it with others rather than being a massive c*ck in freeroam lobbies.

• hei3enberg, Arrows to Athens, BLACK DYNAM1TE and 5 others like this

Slippin' Jimmy
  • Slippin' Jimmy

it's all good man

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

No, I actually preferred it when Freeroam was just that; a map to roam freely and relax in with friends.

I liked having activities like deathmatches and Heists being kept in their own area and place. I could join people who know how to efficiently finish each set-up in record time and complete the entire heist with no sweat one minute, I could be duking it out with skilled players in Forced weapons-only deathmatches the next minute, and I could just get in one of my cars and drive around at high speed towards a clothing store to give my character something new to wear with the cash I earned without ever hearing any explosion or gunshot around me or see my feed literally fill the entire screen.

If GTAO started out to what it is now, I would rather buy the PC copy of GTA V and enjoy modding it to my amusement as the Trio while having fun with the Online-only content.

there were no heists in 2013, member?

• robban, MisFit-138, Opzeker and 3 others like this

ragedandcaged
  • ragedandcaged

UNPHASED

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

Yes. Due to the fact that jets would never be an issue.
  • junior731657, Arrows to Athens and MisFit-138 like this

ARlS
  • ARlS

in wonderland

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

I'm glad it didn't start out with these prices cause I would've been tempted to buy sharkcards...

• sh*t and Simon Le Tocq like this

AmyStone
  • AmyStone

Amy Stone

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by AmyStone, 3 weeks ago.

No. I wouldn't know were to start. When I first played the game it was really all about missions, heists and buying that first apartment. I'd be totally confused if I'd only just started playing.

• 0CypherP and ARlS like this

Matrelith
  • Matrelith

Inveniam viam aut faciam

• Facade Corporation
  • Netherlands

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Matrelith, 3 weeks ago.

Maybe. One of the plus sides of being a day one player is that you were there when the game evolved and added new content along the way. It started out pretty simple with a couple of jobs that were worth doing, a few cars worth keeping and modifying and just general shenanigans with friends. Then the major updates came. One month you were busy with heists, a couple of months later you were caught in the middle of gangfights with lowriders, then you could start your own business and later expand on that business, etc etc. If all that content was available from the get-go I'd imagine it would be pretty overwhelming but at the same time there would be something for everyone.

But as I type this I remember a lot of people commenting  that ''stuff like this should've been there since the release'' on recent additions to the game. One of the best examples being the addition of VIPs and bodyguards, which allowed random people to play together more coordinately.

I guess it's a mixed bag for me. On one hand I enjoyed watching the game get bigger piece by piece and my character evolving with it. On the other hand if the good stuff that we have now would've been present at the launch, I guess I would enjoy it more? I can't say that with a 100% certainty though. I'm basing it mainly on the fact that these days I enjoy the content that was added later the most. 

• Rafae likes this

SmokesWithCigs
  • SmokesWithCigs

recovering addict

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

i  already started a new game with a newly created second character after deleting my original. i just simply went in the inventory  in the hide option menu and hid all the free mode events and whatever else until i'm ready to play them at a certain level. right now i'm just doing races and contact missions and recently i've started lamar missions. i wont start heist untill i've completed all the contact mission and since i've just completed flight school i sometimes work as a bodyguard for friends in their organizations. 

DangerZ0neX
  • DangerZ0neX

It's K-Logg, dammit!

• Members
  • Saudi-Arabia

Posted 3 weeks ago

And how does that negate my point, exactly? Heists were around for a full year before they added the Public-only bullsh*t that infests freeroam.

• Arrows to Athens, Slippin' Jimmy and 0CypherP like this

Slippin' Jimmy
  • Slippin' Jimmy

it's all good man

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

And how does that negate my point, exactly? Heists were around for a full year before they added the Public-only bullsh*t that infests freeroam.

it doesn't, i just had a bet with myself that you would take the bait. guess i won! 

• SuperHolySheep, TheKingChivas, MisFit-138 and 8 others like this

sleepwalk1980
  • sleepwalk1980

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • England

Posted 3 weeks ago

I think R* got carried away with themselves and found themselves caught in an avalanche of their own making.

They should have kept with the small DLCs like Hipster etc and between each one done a big bug fix & clean up . They've created a monster in more ways than one...

A friend of mine recently got GTAO fo rthe first time, just before SR came out and had NO clue what to do. I had to babystep him through the bare basics.

I think he went online a couple times and never touched it since.

• We Are Ninja and Arrows to Athens like this

Sanches
  • Sanches

Rider boi

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Sanches, 3 weeks ago.

I wouldn't even start.

• Mattoropael, sh*t and Simon Le Tocq like this

deadx23
  • deadx23

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

I did start a new game on a banned account not that I play it much but on and off from rank 0 and $0 cash + strangely enough $4mill refund (I was banned and deleted so I don't understand the refund) I now have in that account level 15 with all properties, a office, bunker with all research unlocked, and a hangar with some aircrafts with over 200 mill in bonds. It's not that bad :p

DangerZ0neX
  • DangerZ0neX

It's K-Logg, dammit!

• Members
  • Saudi-Arabia

Posted 3 weeks ago

it doesn't, i just had a bet with myself that you would take the bait. guess i won!

If saying stupid stuff for the sake of attention is all it takes to win an award, then yeah, you sure have won.
  • Arrows to Athens, deadx23, Silencer555 and 1 other like this

chr0n1k Halo
  • chr0n1k Halo

SAMCRO Loyal

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

My buddy actually just started playing GTA Online. It's near impossible if you're on your own, but I am a level 105 and I invite him to my CEO and MC and work with him to get him money. If you have someone to assist you, it isn't that bad. But if you're solo... good luck to ya (coming from someone who did 95% things by my own army of one from Level 1 to now)

• 0CypherP likes this

IamCourtney
  • IamCourtney

Homie

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 3 weeks ago

I was just thinking about this yesterday actually. A friend of mine just got the game and asked for my advice on where to start. I had to really sit back and think about it in a way I never have before as a day 1 guy who has always been able to jump into each update right away.

It was hard to answer because there's the side of me that knows the ins-and-outs of the cash game, the side that likes to goof around with toys, the side that brawls in the streets for no good reason... these aspects all emerged and evolved over time and through the influence of what was available in the game at the time. Not to mention the various instanced game modes which, aside from the odd Contact Missions and Heists here or there, I've never really taken part in... how do you tell someone where they should start???

The best I could give him was: "I don't know. Lets just try lots of stuff, I'll answer specific questions about it and tou can decide what you like."

Now that's well and good for a new player with at least a veteran friend to rely on but for someone coming in brand new and all alone? Yikes. Personally I would dive into as many forums, subreddits and wikis as I could find but as we all know the majority of gamers rarely if ever make use of such resources. I can see how GTAO could be one hell of a brick wall for someone in that position.
  • Cutter De Blanc, Rafae and ntinoskonsta like this

ntinoskonsta
  • ntinoskonsta

Lawless Inc. CEO

• Members
  • Greece

Posted 3 weeks ago

God no. At this point you need a Megalodon Card just to get started, it's a travesty.
  • mrgstrings likes this

Alvarez
  • Alvarez

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

Even though i would know the ways of acquiring cash, like Criminal Mastermind, Flight School, etc., there will be still far too much grind to even get the "basics". I'd hate that. It is far too late.

• Rafae and mrgstrings like this

Gaffa™
  • Gaffa™

The miserable fart!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 3 weeks ago

I was only thinking the other day about a thread which was essentially "2014 GTA Online vs 2017 - which do you prefer", of course remembering to negate the obvious enhancements the updated console versions provide. 

Although there's a lot more to do now... I can't help but have the occasional feeling that "things were better back then" and I don't even know what I'm referring to. 

• Cutter De Blanc likes this

mrgstrings
  • mrgstrings

Now let's take the news from behind!

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 3 weeks ago

Well a year ago the start for me was way better than it would be now with all the more and more expensive things, so hell no. Was a bit overwhelmed at first by all the things you can do in online, the way more cars etc. you have compared to SP and so on.

GTAUrbanCamping
  • GTAUrbanCamping

Urban Camper

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

Things were more simple...any freeroam wasnt a war zone with tanks, armored vehicles etc. Now...its just crap. Like many of you say about the story, the online is the same way. empty with no meaning. My favorite dlc was the heists. Would like another.

Rafae
  • Rafae

OG

• GTAF Crew
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

Can't re-iterate enough how Rockstar made it more difficult for new players to get started so they'd purchase shark cards instead just to afford the luxury of actually playing the game. That's just disgusting.

Basically paying an additional price in the way of shark cards on top of the $60 base price for the game.
  • Mattoropael, Arrows to Athens, IamCourtney and 4 others like this

IamCourtney
  • IamCourtney

Homie

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by IamCourtney, 3 weeks ago.

To expand on what I posted before (and hide a doublepost)

I don't necessarily think one can't or shouldn't start fresh now. There's still a sensible path of progression one can follow:

Entry level:

• Contact missions are a safe place to earn basic money, RP and skill points as well as actual skills (driving, flying, shooting etc.) and maybe even meet a few friends.
  • VIP work is a low-risk way to learn how to operate in public lobbies now that the bar for entry is so low
  • General Free Roam shenanigans help acquaint you with the map itself

Mid-level:

• Heists are there once your rank and general competence are such that you aren't instantly kicked for a big influx of cash and discounts on handy hardware...
  • Working for other CEOs/Presidents, same criteria apply and you can learn how businesses work without risking your own assets

High-level:

• CEO/MC ownership, assuming you haven't been chased away from the game by the time you can afford it... :p

This is just a bare-bones outline of course, but if you aren't a total impulse spender I think it gives you a perfectly reasonable path to follow. The problem is that the game itself gives essentially nothing in the way of guidance. Nobody wants to be railroaded onto a rigid "ladder of progress" and of course its possible to mix and match the steps and still succeed, but some sort of in-game outline would be nice.

I was in party chat with my aforementioned friend as he went through the "tutorial" last night and having totally forgotten what it entailed, I was scratching my head the entire time as he described it. IIRC, it consisted of:

• Race with Lamar
  • A short contact mission
  • An LTS match
  • Instructions on robbing stores, buying clothes and saving/upgrading PVs

So the last step is useful enough, but the stuff that comes before was barely helpful way back in 2013... in 2017 its downright misleading as a demonstration of where the bulk of the game's content lies. All in all, you can definitely get into it this late in the game, but without some sort of outside guidance you're in for a bad time and whole lot of trial 'n' error.

↓↓↓↓lol, this is what I get for posting from our signal-proof concrete bunker of a work bathroom...↓↓↓↓

• Rafae likes this

Rafae
  • Rafae

OG

• GTAF Crew
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

Courtney have you been drinking again :lol:

Shadowfennekin
  • Shadowfennekin

Proud Saints Row and Pokemon Fanboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

It's too overwhelming.

If I had to start now, or even got a NG console for the first time now that transfers are over..... heck no. I'd not play Online.

There is way too much to do and the Smuggler Run prices are ridiculously overpriced. THAT is the one that would scare me off.

• Rafae likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users