Quantcast

» «
Photo

Do your real life gaming buddies laugh at you for playing GTAO?

87 replies to this topic
Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

prettier n nastier

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 4 weeks ago

They play it too, so they can't judge me.
  • MisFit-138 and Melkor1993 like this

HamwithCheese
  • HamwithCheese

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by HamwithCheese, 4 weeks ago.

And all my friends from high school pretty much play on xbone, whereas I'm on psn. I might just have to buy an Xbox if GT sport doesnt pan out.

R3CON
  • R3CON

Cesar Vialpando

• Van Society
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

I'm on the other side of 25 and very few of my friends in real-life play videogames in general, let alone GTA. Games don't really come up in conversation like that and when they do it's either those that just came out/coming soon or games they already have.

Everyone I know has played GTA to some degree at some point (80 million copies sold), but they all talk about it in the past tense. The game came out four years ago and it certainly feels like it outside of sites like this. Folks have the been there, done that vibe. There's never any judgment about playing, but there's certainly no enthusiasm towards it either. My age group grew up with the 3D era and thus was very story mode focused; much of their stories and mental images of the game focused on single-player. There's far fewer friends who've tried Online but eventually they either got over it quickly or got burned out by high prices and the tedious grind. No matter what I say about new DLC it's met with total indifference.

GTA hasn't been relevant to people I actually know in years which is one reason I came to GTAForums in the first place. Like MisFit-138 or Kushology, I'd get more shade for being on here talking about GTA than I would for playing GTA. There's not many people who see value in being active on forums, especially one based on a game. If I'm to get judged over GTA it'd be about this more than anything.
  • Rafae, MisFit-138, -LN- and 2 others like this

Skeve613
  • Skeve613

Cargobob at heart.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

Someone in reference to GTA Online:

"How can you still be playing the same game years later?"

Me in reference to Call of Duty:

"How can you still be playing the same game years later... and constantly rebuying it?"

Fun is ultimately whatever you make of it, and GTA Online is one of the few games where so many different interests can overlap and exist side by side in the same game - some of those interests can last years, while some will naturally wear out much more quickly.

• MisFit-138 and Melkor1993 like this

Kushology
  • Kushology

Bleeding Green

• Members
  • Canada
  • Biggest Pervert
    Nicest Canadian

Posted 3 weeks ago

I am a 6'3" 260lb Army combat veteran.

Thanks for your service. <3

My moms boyfriend served 15 years in the army too. He plays video games. I think it's actually cool.
  • Mach1bud likes this

EkaSwede
  • EkaSwede

PC Player

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by EkaSwede, 3 weeks ago.

The only time anyone's real life game buddies are justified laughing at you for playing gtao is if they play actual FPS games and you try to be just as cool as them while you do nothing but roll, go in and out of passive for cheap kills, and blow yourself up any time you get hit.

That deserves eternal shame.

EDIT: But to be on topic, not too much. I generally don't care. Then again, during my school years I was one of the two Nintendo kids in a class full of Sega and Playstation kids. THe 90's were... something alright.

• Rafae likes this

Mogg
  • Mogg

Kupo!

• Members
  • Norway
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner

Posted 3 weeks ago

i grew up as a part of a group of 6 friends where all of us went through the same schools (or in some cases dropped out of that school) and we all have had, and still have different interests. some of us music and instruments, some of us sports, some of us cars, but all of us have played games together. we did peak in world of wow tho, many years ago. we played in the same guild pushing for euro top 5, and even into it, but that flame burned out very quick. by the time of the first expansion pack, most of us had moved on.

as for what games we play now, i am the only one playing gtao. others have kept on following blizzard games - mostly casual diablo 3 or stuff like that. 

we do talk games occasionally, but since we play different games now, we don't exchange much between us before topics move on.

and out of the 6 people, only two of them have kids. like-minded, i suppose. 

i do however see some criticism against other people's friends here tho. i dunno, banter between friends has always been a thing for me. banter is the best word i can use in my translation, but i'd call it 'hard banter' between my friends, he he. whether it is whatever someone else is voting, driving, playing, listening to, doing, have done, will do, we do exaggerate the criticism some times just for fun. but i suppose that's what 20-25 years of friendship is between faaairly young adults.

me, i am partially with whomever wrote about retail - the world is filled with awful people as well as awful kids - i won't have any of that. i prefer cats.

luckily i sell planks and flooring and stuff like that, so the kid and stressed mother thing is a rarity.

• Rafae and -LN- like this

Melkor1993
  • Melkor1993

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • Italy

Posted 3 weeks ago

What the f*ck is a friend ? :p

It’s what video game players could have before the game makers decided that every player needed to own their own copy of the game to play “together”
Old-school split-screen! If you peek, you cheat, and that’s a smack to the back of the head!
Man...been a long time since i played co op on a game...good times...

Da Elite Ninjah
  • Da Elite Ninjah

Ninja

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 3 weeks ago

more the opposite.... They are jealous that i still play and enjoy a 4 year old game While they are bored with the one they bought a couple of weeks ago...

• Spadge and EkaSwede like this

EkaSwede
  • EkaSwede

PC Player

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 3 weeks ago

more the opposite.... They are jealous that i still play and enjoy a 4 year old game While they are bored with the one they bought a couple of weeks ago...

Holy cow I think this is it. I used to get so much flak for "playing old games for so long" and "Not getting with the times".

• Da Elite Ninjah likes this

Quinn_flower
  • Quinn_flower

S.T.A.R.S Unit/The Dear R* Girl

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 3 weeks ago

Friends? Lol

#foreveralone
  • Rafae, the J is for Julia, Happy Hunter and 1 other like this

Spadge
  • Spadge

Hoochie Coochie Man

• Members
  • Olympics

Posted 3 weeks ago

I don't have friends.  I'm a Republican.

A Republican in Canada must be the loneliest person in the world.
  • Kushology likes this

Kushology
  • Kushology

Bleeding Green

• Members
  • Canada
  • Biggest Pervert
    Nicest Canadian

Posted 3 weeks ago

Definitely.

xDatxJunkyx
  • xDatxJunkyx

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 3 weeks ago

We have the "Conservative" party... Further left than a repub but we have it!

Big Molio
  • Big Molio

Oop North

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 3 weeks ago

My best mate who I grew up with plays more than I do. He’s not been on GTA for a while though, he’s into Destiny at the minute. My other friends don’t play much if ever, and my work colleagues don’t at all as far as I know.

Both my lads have XBox one in their bedrooms and occasionally drop into GTAO

Watain
  • Watain

Ridin' motorcycles and makin' mayhem in GTA since 1998.

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Watain, 3 weeks ago.

I have one friend who asks me from time to time why I keep playing this "sh*tty" game. I usually laugh with him because in reality I share his opinions regarding what is "sh*t" about GTA V/Online. The difference between me and him, I suppose, is that I find other things in the game to make up for the bad parts.

The same friend, on the other hand, perfectly predicted GTA V before it was released. We were hyped and I was all like, "dude, it can never go wrong with a GTA game", to which he replied, "sooner or later they will make a bad one". Having fanboyed GTA since 1998, we were both rather shocked to how those words of his echoed into GTA V. It's just so pale in all areas compared to previous 3D/HD-era installments.

So, while he likes to bash me for sticking with the Online portion of the game (although barely these days), I also understand why he does it. But I can't help to still hear his words echo inside my head everytime R* releases a new DLC, which are all increasingly destroying the gaming experience one after another.

-LN-
  • -LN-

Acquired Taste

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

The funny thing is, I do have all of the things you mentioned. Ongoing marriage of 15 years, three kids still living at home, two dogs and two cats (and a budgie [only joking, no budgie])

It's got nothing to do with being married, being single, being an astronaut or living in a basement. It's about doing what you want with your life and your spare time. I used to think that if I had too many burdens then I wouldn't be able to cope, and then the burdens came along and I found that I coped rather well, with life, with family and everything else. For every burden you assume, you release a different burden onto the shoulders of someone else, it's called delegation, proportioning responsibilities, or something like that.

What this means is that I have as much time to play GTA online as I had for other things 30 years ago, amazingly. Just be determined, pig-stubborn and do the things you want, irrespective of age or responsibilities.

That all makes sense; you're very fortunate though! :) I cannot even imagine having one with the way the costs of living have skyrocketed over the last decade, but I suppose with determination, most things are possible or have a way or working themselves out. I'd still most definitely stick with having cats as opposed to kids though; so much less stress!

It seems that most gamers I know within the real world are into ultra fantasy type games, which is something I've never been able to get into. When I tell them this, they will ignore it and keep talking about casting spells, slaying dragons, or something of the like. When they've finished, I just sort of stand there with a blank look on my face as if I had just listened to a foreign language that I cannot understand. However, when I speak of GTA, I often get the same blank stares in return.

• deadx23 and alkaline_ like this

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 3 weeks ago

Occasionally I'll hear my coworkers discussing it ("Did you see the new car in GTA?") and I'll try to chime in and they'll stop talking about it completely.

My city is filled with assholes though.

Daedalheidis
  • Daedalheidis

#coloredstockrimsexuality

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

No. They love the game so much they'd refer to real life Chargers as Buffalos and once referred to a random CH-46 as a Cargobob.

• Kushology likes this

Kushology
  • Kushology

Bleeding Green

• Members
  • Canada
  • Biggest Pervert
    Nicest Canadian

Posted 3 weeks ago

No. They love the game so much they'd refer to real life Chargers as Buffalos and once referred to a random CH-46 as a Cargobob.

I am guilty of this occasionally.

Although, there's a AC-130 used by a nearby flight school, I get all Nutty Professor on it. "Hercules, hercules, hercules!"

fw3
  • fw3

I SMELL FISH!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic Creator 2016
    Contribution Award [GTAO]

Posted 3 weeks ago

How many you guys and gals get laughed at for playing this game?

If anyone is laughing at me for playing GTAO, then it's behind my back.
I mean, I could certainly laugh at others for watching horrible sitcoms and renting bad movies.
But I don't, because whatever gets people to chill out and not hurt others IRL, then I'm all for it. ;)

• -LN- likes this

Dr WGA Labriskagni
  • Dr WGA Labriskagni

Dr WGA Labriskagni

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 3 weeks ago

I live in South Africa some township in Soweto, sure its so bad here that the kids are acting like teenagers and the teenagers act as the adults, and yes I'm the only gamer that plays this at its fullest, so when I'm talking about the lasted updates I turn all "geek" on them, whilst I'm (sorry to sound narcissistic) an inspiration to other people for playing this with bad internet at an arcade where I'm the only one that plays this in some circles.

If its anything, I've yet to meet anyone that plays this at a personal level...

SkittleMick
  • SkittleMick

FastFuriousCruisers Moderator

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 3 weeks ago

Play what you like to play and dont be ashamed if you let people know what you play. I bet the ppl that give any of you a hard time for it play some sort of game, wheather it be on a Console, PC or Mobile/Tablet and if itS be the latter 2 in this case tell them to play a real game. Damn iv got friends who are ashamed to admit they like playing and try to hide it. Saying tht my friend who got me playing online (2010 I finally became an online gamer) no longer plays, I know he wants to but another who thinks what others think about him. I have friends who I know irl tht play GTA but occasionally. Id play it occasionally if it wasnt for car meets thats what I enjoy about this game meeting others who like collecting cars and chilling. If I do stop playing GTA for a while I always find my way back, always have even GTA IV id drift off either not playing or playing something else and then one day just be in the mood to drive, shoot and almost do what I want. I dont care how old I am(im 30 have kids and still game) and who knows I play games in my free time its what I like to do, ill be playing games until theres no game that interests me know more but the way gaming is progressing and more ppl playing games theres always going to be something for everyone. And thats the beauty of it, sometimes I feel like its watching a film tht never ends 👍

JakeHorgrove
  • JakeHorgrove

Thug

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

My friends definitely laugh at me for still playing this game.

PNutterSammich
  • PNutterSammich

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

Real life?  That's like, outdoors, right?

HAHAHA! Yeah, right. Like I want the sun to touch my virgin skin.

How's about you and your "real life" friends can go "interact" with each other while I continue my awesomeness online.

• Rafae and Elektra like this

WHAT!?
  • WHAT!?

WHAT!?

• The Precinct
  • United-States
  • Best Member Named after a Stone Cold Steve Austin Catchphrase

Posted 3 weeks ago

Only when I pull my friend out of his car and start kicking him. Then they'll be like... "Oh he is emulating that stupid game again! Knock it off!"

They don't get me.

Nah, really though I had been playing it with my wife, her sister, and my brother in-law. Then Rockstar decided to take everyone's cash (They cleaned everyone out before the last update, now for some reason they decided to do it again even though no more hacked money had been dropped on any of us). Seems to be the final nail in the coffin so to speak for our merry band of vidya game criminals. I still load it up every now and then, but every time I do my wife walks in and is just like "their just going to randomly take all of your cash, why do you bother?" She's probably not wrong. So, I've more than less moved on to Quake Champions now. I think we'll start playing as a group again when Destiny 2 hits PC.

GTA-Biker
  • GTA-Biker

Let's Rock

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by GTA-Biker, 3 weeks ago.

No,most of my friends are people around my age (in their early to mid 20s),they grew up playing video games and most still play them,so even those who are no longer playing video games aren't shaming anyone for playing them.It's not the 90s anymore,these days most people (at least those under 50) know that video games are not just entertainment for kids and nerds.

Rykjeklut
  • Rykjeklut

Peon

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 3 weeks ago

>implying I have friends.

No but, I've got maybe two acquaintances who play games, and both of them play GTAO with me.

The only thing I'm embarrassed about is how many hours I've spent in this game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users