Photo

The Official Math Rock Thread

2 replies to this topic
The7thOne
  • The7thOne

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

Was surprised to see there wasn't a thread on this equation-riddled genre, and the post-rock thread is 10+ years old (plus math rock is also very distinct in style) so I thought I'd make one.

From Wikipedia:

Math rock is a style of indie rock that emerged in the late 1980s in the United States. Math rock is characterized by complex, atypical rhythmic structures (including irregular stopping and starting), counterpoint, odd time signatures, angular melodies, and extended, often dissonant, chords.

Some examples:

From the Cab's second album, "Don Caballero 2":

If you want a heavier album I recommend For Respect, which came out before 2. For an easier listen, try American Don.

And a personal favorite from the defunct Chicago group Ghosts and Vodka:

Some of the members went on to join or form other bands, such as Owls and Joan of Arc.

Post your recommendations/favorite groups below!

• Mister Pink likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpunk

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Mister Pink, 4 weeks ago.

I don't listen to much math-rock but have seen Battles who played before Aphex Twin when I seen him a few years back. They were very impressive. I know Wiki says math-rock began in the 80's but I always though a lot of math was inspired by Yes. Well, the Wiki page does say it was inspired by prog-rock and I think it's a modernisation of prog-rock, kind of ditching the cheesy and fantastical parts of prog-rock and condensing it down to something a little more grounded or stripping it down to the fundamentals if that makes sense? 

If you like math rock, I'll highly recommend Close To The Edge by Yes. The opening of this album screams math-rock. It's just got all those unorthodox time-signatures, breaks and changes. It's great. (Well the first song)

And this is sounds math-rocky too.

• The7thOne likes this

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Nškyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 4 weeks ago

I do have a bit of a soft spot for the heavier end of the Math spectrum, particularly bands like Beecher who draw a lot of influence from sludge and stoner metal, and dark ambient.

• The7thOne likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users