Photo

European Interest in American Football is interesting

6 replies to this topic
lazloisdavrock
  • lazloisdavrock

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:14 PM Edited by lazloisdavrock, 19 September 2017 - 08:18 PM.

If you only live on the Internet you will gather that most European countries dislike American Football for whatever reason. This is evident on social media and general forums. Especially those in the UK. I thought this was 100% true until I recently visited London.

In real life these sentiments you find on the internet seem completely false. I was in London for a week this past month on a business trip and on a down day I was out and about and had multiple positive comments on my Baltimore Ravens jersey that I had packed in plans of doing this sort of social experiment. I thought maybe the team was only recognizable to some because they are playing in London this season. I got to talking to a fan who invited me to visit a pub called Bodeans Soho, that also serves some excellent BBQ. So as an American of course I was drawn to some good BBQ. The Place was packed with rowdy NFL fans watching a preseason game. A freaking PRESEASON game. Talking to these London natives about players and teams made me feel like I had never left the US as their knowledge and love for the sport was totally unexpected. 

I was told the English love the NFL and that Wembley Stadium is always at capacity when the NFL visits each season. (90k-100k) fans for each game attend. Its pretty incredible given If you take the internet at face value you would get a totally different story. I understand Football is the wolds sport first but I think its awesome we can all enjoy different sports together. There is massive amount of "soccer" fans here in the US and lots that follow the European leagues as well.

Jason
  • Jason

Sporadic

• Daily Globe
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:57 PM

Sorry bud, but it's still very much true. NFL isn't particularly popular in the UK by any means. It's growing, definitely, but the Wembley sell outs are because it's a one off occasion more than it is because the sport has a big fanbase. If you look around in London you'll find places to watch NFL, certain pubs and what not but London is one of the most diverse cities in the world and has something for everyone. The rest of the UK has little to no interest in the sport.

There is talk of more NFL games coming to England though, I believe Tottenham are planning to host a few a year once their new stadium is finished, they even have a retracting pitch to support it.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:28 PM

if the NFL expanded across the pond it would effectively mark the end of the NFL as we know it.

the occasional promotional game is one thing but I would be surprised if they did anything more than that in my lifetime...

• gtamann123 likes this

Bare
  • Bare

mass debater

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:13 PM

In Europe we think that American interest in European football is growing too. It seems like we're both wrong since I can tell you almost nobody cares about American football here.

DOOM!
  • DOOM!

yessir

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:26 PM

if the NFL expanded across the pond it would effectively mark the end of the NFL as we know it.
the occasional promotional game is one thing but I would be surprised if they did anything more than that in my lifetime...

Funny you said that, because I've read the NFL would be ready to make London a home for a NFL team by 2020. I just don't see how it'd work with the rigorous traveling plans they'd have to make.

Nice Person
  • Nice Person

The Ultimate Supreme B)

• Members
  • Olympics
  • Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:52 PM

The NFL only has a niche fanbase overseas, like Euroleagues in actual football are in America. Both are usually people from the native base that were fans at home.

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 September 2017 - 10:57 PM

The NFL only has a niche fanbase overseas, like Euroleagues in actual football are in America. Both are usually people from the native base that were fans at home.

This is spot on. American Football has the same interest in Europe as European soccer does here. Maybe even less. It's certainly a niche sport and I have no idea why the NFL thinks that's selling out the games in London means that a full time team would be viable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users