Quantcast

» «
Photo

GTA VCS or GTA VC which has the better 80s atmosphere?

20 replies to this topic
Bamboozle
  • Bamboozle

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:33 AM

Despite having the same map, these two games have very different atmospheres.

The soundtrack is a factor as well because it sets the tone of the game.

Personally I prefer VCS because the atmosphere there is perfected with the neon, sky and color. The songs also actually corresponds to their radio stations more. Flash fm finally sounds like an actual pop station, V rock has got heavier rock, something it should've had, VCFL was a big plus, Emotion 98.3 was massively improved and so on. 

Auxillary VII
  • Auxillary VII

Player Hater

• Members
  • Puerto-Rico

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:21 PM

I feel like vcs has the better 80s atmosphere, empire building would fit due to all the drug dealing in the 80's

ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:14 PM

I think VCS has the better atmosphere, but VC's atmosphere was more fun to play in.

• lol232, Ivan1997GTA, InkJaw and 1 other like this

jaljax
  • jaljax

Taking A Liberty

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:02 AM

I think VCS has the better atmosphere, but VC's atmosphere was more fun to play in.

I agree.

Bamboozle
  • Bamboozle

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 September 2017 - 11:18 AM

How?

ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 September 2017 - 11:30 AM

How?

Due to higher graphics, VCS had better looking lights, neon, etc etc, but VC is my favourite GTA of all time, thus I enjoyed the atmoshpere a lot more.

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Members
  • Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:36 AM

Vice City. VCS was too cartoonish to me. Vice City literally felt like Scarface in GTA form at the time. A sunny and vibrant location with dark undertones.

IndogamersPro
  • IndogamersPro

Busta

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:55 PM

GTA VCS atmosphere, and storyline is a lot better IMO. too bad it wasn't available for PC.

Bamboozle
  • Bamboozle

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 September 2017 - 04:24 PM

Vice city made me think the 80s was cool.

Vice city stories made me want to go to the 80s.
  • Lexyz. likes this

Coops95
  • Coops95

Camhack Video Editor

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:47 PM Edited by Will Lorenzo Cooper, 21 September 2017 - 05:48 PM.

10 years ago I would of said VCS over VC because of vibrant colours but getting older, I can very well see Vice City have this "unexplainable magic" in the atmosphere around you. I do like VCS colours, neons and atmosphere but Vice City atmosphere for me.

Like Algonquin Assassin says, Vice City has nice sense of colours but has dark undertones with Scarface's theme that perfects it.

AmigaMix
  • AmigaMix

human being

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:31 PM Edited by AmigaMix, 21 September 2017 - 08:35 PM.

I don't get the Vice City/Scarface-comparisons (apart from the obvious stylization and aesthetics).

IMO, Scarface was a movie about a toxic, socially inept (with some freudian tendencies) person's demise into a broken shell of a man (With the american dream/rise to power-theme as juxtaposition).

Tomy Vercetti was more ruthless (or "badass"), more stable than Tony Montana and lacked any form of inner conflict. 

To stay on topic: 

Vice City, to me, came closer (e.g. more gritty) to my perception of 80's Miami. The neon-stuff in VCS was really over the top (but pretty :) ).

I will say that VCS's soundtrack felt less like a best-of cd and more like a collection of "real radio stations".

• Algonquin Assassin and Bamboozle like this

Bamboozle
  • Bamboozle

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 September 2017 - 01:53 AM

Huh, i always liked how despite having the colorful and happier atmosphere, VCS had the darker storyline. It's as if a parallel was drawn there on purpose.

• Gummy  likes this

GrudgefromSanAndreas
  • GrudgefromSanAndreas

Straight outta Pluton's Ass

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 22 September 2017 - 08:58 AM Edited by GrudgefromSanAndreas, 22 September 2017 - 09:03 AM.

If VC is more like Miami Vice than VCS, then i'll go for VC, but on the other hand, VCS had Phil Collins! Hard to decide  :/  :whuh:

Bamboozle
  • Bamboozle

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 September 2017 - 02:55 PM

If VC is more like Miami Vice than VCS, then i'll go for VC, but on the other hand, VCS had Phil Collins! Hard to decide  :/  :whuh:

VCS is more like Miami Vice. Vice city is more like scarface.

GrudgefromSanAndreas
  • GrudgefromSanAndreas

Straight outta Pluton's Ass

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 22 September 2017 - 03:36 PM

Well i didnt play VCS yet but from the videos i've seen VCS had "more normal" and smoother atmosphere. Then i'd probably go for VCS also because of the singer i've mentioned

Terrc87
  • Terrc87

Snitch

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:28 PM

VCS is more "shiny" rather than VC atmosphere and from my POV VCS isnt feel 80s enough even tho the setting is early-middle 80s but I dont get the 80s feels, but it still a goos game with a driven storyline

Bamboozle
  • Bamboozle

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 October 2017 - 01:26 PM

All this time I still could not understand why people prefer Vice City over Vice City Stories.

Vice City was my very first GTA so nostalgia bias definitely has nothing to do with it.

I don't know, Vice City Stories felt more lively and happy, compared to the darker tones of Vice City. The soundtrack of VCS is a very big plus. The only game where I have trouble deciding on one station.

VC felt like try-hard 80s. While VCS was still try-hard 80s, it was perfected and felt more natural. VCS depicted the city like a paradise you want to go to with all the neon at night.

Like I said, VC made me think the 80s was cool. VCS made me want to the go to the 80s.

ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:59 AM

The only reason VCS looks better is because of the improved graphics. If VCS came out in 2002 and VC came out in 2006, then it'd be the other way around, wouldn't it? Because everyone would say that VCS felt super 80s but also gritty, and that VC had the better atmosphere due to neon lights etc etc.

Bamboozle
  • Bamboozle

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 October 2017 - 05:15 PM

No not really, the graphics are a given thing but the art direction is obviously different in both games.

VC was more similar to Scarface, with it's gritty atmosphere and tone of the story.

VCS on the other hand was more similar to Miami Vice or something. The 80s is depicted as a paradise for party with the soundtrack, neon and stuff.
  • Ivan1997GTA and jaljax like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Members
  • Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:18 AM

All this time I still could not understand why people prefer Vice City over Vice City Stories.

Vice City was my very first GTA so nostalgia bias definitely has nothing to do with it.

I don't know, Vice City Stories felt more lively and happy, compared to the darker tones of Vice City. The soundtrack of VCS is a very big plus. The only game where I have trouble deciding on one station.

VC felt like try-hard 80s. While VCS was still try-hard 80s, it was perfected and felt more natural. VCS depicted the city like a paradise you want to go to with all the neon at night.

Like I said, VC made me think the 80s was cool. VCS made me want to the go to the 80s.

VCS has no enterable Malibu Club though.

80s atmosphere flushed down the toilet. :p

Bamboozle
  • Bamboozle

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 October 2017 - 12:40 PM Edited by Bamboozle, 19 October 2017 - 12:42 PM.

I never understood why people make a big deal about that club. Sure I'm sad too that I can't enter the club along with many other interiors.

I may not be speaking on behalf of everyone but I think the only reason I liked the club is because that, along with Ocean beach, Washington mall, pole position and other places are the only places in GTA VC that gives off that "happy happy party" vibe with the neons and stuff.

However in VCS Rockstar tried to make every inch of that city give off that vibe. Mostly everywhere you go, you would still feel like you're in the party zone. Take Mainland, which was a sad old sh*t hole in GTA VCS is now amped up to new levels. You can say the neons were overkill but it does a great job at making the city feel so much more lively. Though an actual club would still add to the atmosphere but I digress.

Not to mention the soundtrack in VCS gives off a different vibe compared to the one in VC despite both being 80s themed. Music is subjective so you definitely have to listen to both soundtracks yourself to come to your own conclusions but I think the VCS soundtrack was better and a big improvement due to being more consistent.

GTA VCS depicts the city as a true neon paradise where everyone's high on coke, wearing pastels and is partying (more similar to Miami Vice) while GTA VC depicts the city in a more realistic way as a city that's dark but is still a great place to be in (more similar to Scarface)

All in all it depends on your own style but seriously who would choose anything over paradise?
  • B Dawg likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users