Quantcast

» «
Photo

[GTAO] The Friendship Thread

39 replies to this topic

Poll: [GTAO] The Friendship Thread (114 member(s) have cast votes)

How many friends that play GTAO?

1. 1-3 (27 votes [23.68%])

Percentage of vote: 23.68%

2. 4-8 (31 votes [27.19%])

Percentage of vote: 27.19%

3. 9-15+ (43 votes [37.72%])

Percentage of vote: 37.72%

4. None. I have no friends. (13 votes [11.40%])

Percentage of vote: 11.40%

Are your friends from real life or online only?

1. Real life friends only (15 votes [13.16%])

Percentage of vote: 13.16%

2. Online friends only (45 votes [39.47%])

Percentage of vote: 39.47%

3. A mix of both real life friends and online friends (45 votes [39.47%])

Percentage of vote: 39.47%

4. Neither. I have no friends. (9 votes [7.89%])

Percentage of vote: 7.89%

Is your experience playing with friends mostly positive or negative?

1. Positive (75 votes [65.79%])

Percentage of vote: 65.79%

2. Negative (2 votes [1.75%])

Percentage of vote: 1.75%

3. A little of both (23 votes [20.18%])

Percentage of vote: 20.18%

4. Neither, really, we just play (6 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

5. Neither. I have no friends. (8 votes [7.02%])

Percentage of vote: 7.02%

Vote Guests cannot vote
fw3
  • fw3

I SMELL FISH!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic Creator 2016
    Contribution Award [GTAO]

Posted 4 weeks ago

You and I had a blast the other night doing the CEO missions and selling Air Freight with only eight people in the lobby.
I've already spent most of the money we made, and now I can finally enjoy tooling around like everybody else who owns that car! lol!

But, dude, I gotta tell you, while it was seriously a lot of fun hanging out and playing the other night, once your friends came online, everything just turned sour.
That one guy, BagelBytes420... what was his deal? I mean not just once or twice, but EVERY single time?

And the other friend of yours, xXo.ReeperDeeth.oXx. Is he even aware that's not how you spell "reaper" or "death?"
Not for nothing, bro, but once they joined, even you started to become kind of an open-mouth chewer. That's why I quit. I was getting really annoyed.

SO, this is a possible scenario of two random players meeting and enjoying GTAO together... until the friends/crew of one of them join and ruin the fun.

The purpose of this thread is to open a discussion about the kinds of friends you play with in GTAO, what kinds of personalities they exhibit, how you know them, whether you like playing with them or let out a deep, eyes closed sigh like Napoleon Dynamite when they appear online.

There's a thousand types of players out there, as we've discussed in the 3,512 Types of GTAO Players thread, but this is more specifically geared toward friends.

For example, I'm more of a "lone wolf" type in GTAO, and prefer to play alone. However, I have a few friends that join me online that affect my game and level of immersion.

They might be labeled as:

Pothead: My friend Mick is a good guy, but he's a ridiculous stoner. I'm not, so whenever he gets online he always screws up missions and goes AFK at the worst times. In real life, he's kind of the same way, always showing up late or not at all.

Ruiner 2017: Razzle is a guy I only know from my crew. Don't know him IRL. While most of my crew like to do missions and make money, he's the guy who always fails out missions. Always! His most popular quote would be, "sorry guys!" and "my bad!" Whenever he shows up online, we all just roll our eyes. We've stopped doing missions when he joins.

Let's Do This, Not That: One of my close friends, Denny, is a great guy. We hang out in real life, paintball, mountain bike, etc. and he's got a great sense of humor. But, in real life, we always kind of have to do what "he" wants to do. It's never "hey, you want to..." It's, "hey, let's..." In GTAO, he's the worst. No matter what I'm in the middle of, he'll start with, "hey, stop doing that and let's go do this," whatever it is. When he's the only one online, I'll just do it because it's better than playing alone. But, even in the middle of a mission, he'll be like, "Hey, you want to get out of this and go do a Survival?" ugh.

Chilly McChillz: There's a person in my crew who I've never met and who doesn't talk over a mic. He/she only sends messages. I assume it's a guy, but I don't know for sure. What I do know is that when he/she is online, everyone gets really excited and shouts, "McChillz is online!" The reason is because this person is just the most fun person in our crew to hang out with. On those nights when everyone else leaves, McChillz will just do whatever I'm doing. Bikes, cars, Golf, flying, whatever. Messages I send, like, "Armwrestling?" are always met with, "Hellzyeah!" It's kind of to the point where if McChillz doesn't show up when my crew is online, I don't like it as much.

So, what are your experiences with friends online, either people from real life whom you engage with in GTAO, people you've never met in a crew, or even randoms you come to know in a long, one night session of jobs and missions?

The good, the bad, and the ugly are all welcome. As always, just curious how you handle friends in this game and how they affect your immersion and your gameplay.

Cheers! :)

Randy waited all night for his friend to show up in GTAO, but he never arrived. After several hours, he began to rethink the friendship.
UVwW11MQJE2y2RdfHRWJ7A_0_0.jpg

• Crimie Marston, askinnywhitedildo, CaliMeatWagon and 8 others like this

deadx23
  • deadx23

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner

Posted 4 weeks ago

Hey im the stoner, and I don't mess up I mean not all the time, it's usually not my fault anyway im on time even though I haven't been around lately can't you just wait another minute :(
  • fw3, Cackling Jack and -LN- like this

fw3
  • fw3

I SMELL FISH!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic Creator 2016
    Contribution Award [GTAO]

Posted 4 weeks ago

Hey im the stoner, and I don't mess up I mean not all the time, it's usually not my fault anyway im on time even though I haven't been around lately can't you just wait another minute :(

lol! my friend mick will text us saying, "on my way... 10 minutes!" and then, three hours later, when we're all leaving, he'll show up. lol!

• deadx23 and -LN- like this

Sanches
  • Sanches

Rider boi

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Sanches, 4 weeks ago.

Being with your friends is always cool. No matter is it ingame or not.

Vq6qul-gF34.jpg

Spoiler
  • fw3, Arrows to Athens, Pedinhuh and 4 others like this

Rafae
  • Rafae

OG

• GTAF Crew
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

I'm more of a lone wolf nowadays but I played heavily with my crew this past summer both pre and post Gunrunning. We all have the same mindset of getting stuff done in freeroam and helping each other earn big bucks while doing it so there's never any havoc or tension in our sessions unless a random joins, then it turns into WWIII but that's besides the point.

I enjoy playing with them alot and no doubt will continue to with future Rockstar multiplayer experiences beyond GTA Online.
  • fw3 and -LN- like this

ragedandcaged
  • ragedandcaged

OPPRESSOR OVERLORD

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

I enjoy playing with friends whenever I can. We are all Irish assassins named shooty mcpewpew.
  • fw3 and TheKingChivas like this

jwdrinkwaterjr
  • jwdrinkwaterjr

Thug

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

I haven't really played enough with others to make any friends. Which is my fault. I'm weird.

This reminds me, though, I should really send Prabinator a msg and see how he's doing.
  • robban and fw3 like this

AfroKloud
  • AfroKloud

AK .

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by AfroKloud, 4 weeks ago.

Alrighty. So currently, almost none of my friends in real life play it anymore except for one. The rest would be online friends.

Friends? It's a mix between real friends and online friends with online friends outweighing the real ones.

How many? I have like maybe 1, and that's my best friend that I truly feel as a real friend. The friends that my best friend would bring at his birthday parties would be like I know that person and that's it. Basically just acquaintances. Same if it was my cousin's friends except the friendship is a bit deeper than that at an acquaintance level. Now for online friends, it's more, and still to this day I'm open to making more online friends somewhat than doing it in real life. Mostly, I'm not open to making friends in real life and online. So it's rare for me to be open about it.

My experience? Well it's mostly just play. Neither of us make an effort to further the friendship. We may message each other back and forth a little bit more which symbolizes the furthering in the friendship in some fashion. It's more positives that outnumber the negatives. Strange negatives for me would be when I get added by somebody as a friend, and they unfriend me right after or a few days later for a nonsensical reason whatsoever. And I communicate with at least one of them by mic. Another would be when this "online friend" try to dodge me anyway they can. Hopping to the next session, or moving as far away from me as possible in a Heist or a Mission. I wasn't even hostile when we added each other. Which leaves me to figure it out rather to ask why for each online friends that use to be friends with me.

What I'm labeled as? If there were more label options that you labeled your friends, I would be the ChillyMcChillz in some sort of fashion. Lol. Except it's rare for me when everyone gets excited when they see me join. I'm labeled as that, and labeled as a Loner or a Lone Wolf.

In conclusion, I'll have to say that this is one hella interesting thread, op 😊. I enjoyed this thread a lot. And I'm pretty sure others will too.
  • fw3 likes this

Matrelith
  • Matrelith

Inveniam viam aut faciam

• Facade
  • Netherlands

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Matrelith, 4 weeks ago.

I have a group of friends I play with regularly (be it GTA 5 or a different game) and we hang out in our own Discord server a lot. We're all immature idiots when it comes to gaming, which makes playing together a ton of fun. Favorite moments are probably from Chase the Fat Kid, where one guy drivers around town in a large vehicle and the others, in faster vehicles, try to stop him by any means necessary.

If you wanna see what an average crew sesh of ours looks like (and you have four minutes to spare);

Spoiler

• fw3 likes this

namelss123456799
  • namelss123456799

Juggalo

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

None of my real friends really 0lay gta or any online games. Most of my online friends i play with only when we need each others help.
I barley ever join randoms anymore espucally on heists or lamar missions. Or any job like that.
I dont want to get stuck helping and keep failing
  • fw3 likes this

TankGirl
  • TankGirl

Follow me get a proxy for free

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

I have lots of friends who play Xboxone. For most part I am always hanging out with my crew mates. I have other friends too that I spend time with. I am pretty much always playing with friends. Sometimes when I just want to do my own thing I will mark myself as offline.  I use to be a lone wolf when I first started but I got lonely, for me GTAO is so much more fun with friends.

I dont know any of them in real life. All my real life friends do not play video games. I have over 100 friends on my list but of course I have people who I consider good friends and who I hang out with more often than others. For most part me and my friends like to make money, just do silly stuff and partake in some RnG. I hang out with fellow female gamers pretty much everyday and we like to make outfits so we are in the clothing store a lot. 

• fw3, IamCourtney and -LN- like this

HamwithCheese
  • HamwithCheese

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by HamwithCheese, 4 weeks ago.

I really enjoy playing with my friends. I know a guy that likes cars as much as I do. We drive around talking about cars and sh*t, and maybe do some very informative and scientific drag races.

Then I've got another friend that likes to do jobs, trying to earn enough money for that new thing whilst talking about where the game is going.

I also have a friend that wanted to be a freeroam warrior and she was almost there.

However none of them have been playing this game lately, and I'm ok with that.
  • fw3 likes this

PaeganLoveSong
  • PaeganLoveSong

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

I pretty much only play with friends these days. The crew is a mix of RL friends and a couple game-related friends, we all get along overall, and sessions together are fine for grinding and selling together, or even just goofing off and doing stunt jumps around the map.

I've made a few GTA-only friends but I don't nevesssrily jump into the game for them. I will, though, for the crew.
  • fw3 likes this

IceDree
  • IceDree

Concierge Of Crime 💀

• Members
  • Saudi-Arabia

Posted 4 weeks ago

My IRL friends are on PS4 (I'm on Xbox). Almost every GTA "friend" I made falls into the "Let's Do This, Not That" category & wants me to help him\her make money. Don't get me wrong, I'll happily help with a business sale or the occasional heist, no problem. But the stupid "I need X amount of money for Y ... today" gets both old & annoying fast. Look, I'll help every now & then, but don't ask me that every single time you see me online. I too have sh*t to do. #DeadbeatFriends
  • fw3 likes this

IamCourtney
  • IamCourtney

Homie

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by IamCourtney, 4 weeks ago.

I have my "competent-and-chill" friends: know how to play and enjoy the money-making aspects of the game, but not gonna lose their minds over failure or do every goddamn contact mission in a Hydra/Buzzard/Kuruma. Always repay one favour with another without being petty about it and still down to just goof around and play other ways when the working day is done

I have my "goofball/hardcore PvP friends" who come into every session just looking to go hog wild with little regard for who ends up caught in the maelstrom. Up for more than just snipedance contests on the beach with actual skill levels ranging from "absolute scrub" to "really quite good." I'm happy to help out on the rare occasion they decide to run an actual mission but when they offer to help me with my sales I tactfully decline and save it for later, either solo or with a friend from the latter group... XD 

• fw3 and -LN- like this

DrRumpleSweatyForeSkin
  • DrRumpleSweatyForeSkin

Jet Lover & Freemode Terrorist Since 2013

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 4 weeks ago

Only 2 of my IRL friends still play this game online. I have 5 family members who play online (2 in same house with me) so I help them rank up. One wants to be a terrorist but doesnt have the money for the juicy stuff, the other is a peaceful player who does laugh when wars are started but is not a jet person whatsoever.

The rest of my friends we grind and cause terrorism. The Hunter can not come soon enough.

• fw3 and Happy Hunter like this

FlacidJack
  • FlacidJack

Gangsta

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 4 weeks ago

Playing online alone is ok but once I joined a good group of chill friends i asked myself what the hell took me so long to realize online is made to be played with others instead of against them.

I'm the pothead btw, i'm constantly afk dealing with reality and i feel bad when my friends are waiting but there's not much I can do about it. Papa bear needs time sometimes, luckily my friends understand and have plenty more friends to help.

None of my real friends really 0lay gta or any online games. Most of my online friends i play with only when we need each others help.
I barley ever join randoms anymore espucally on heists or lamar missions. Or any job like that.
I dont want to get stuck helping and keep failing

maybe it's because you have fat thumbs ;)
  • fw3 and -LN- like this

Mach1bud
  • Mach1bud

Gearhead

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-States
  • Best GTA Photographer 2016
    Coolest Member 2016
    Best Character [Snap] 2016
    Mister Los Santos 2016 Winner
    [Snapmatic Awards 2015] Best Male Character

Posted 4 weeks ago

About 98% of my friends are Online only, with a handful of military buddies that I see playing random games. I feel like I have a unique friend situation, as all 500 or so people on my friend list were added from GTA in some shape or form. Many I do not know well, some I don't know at all, some I play with religously for extended periods, some I have only played with once. Most I have never spoken to, but there are many I know from here, Twitter, etc etc.

At any given time I have 30-100+ friends all playing GTA, which I consider myself lucky to have. Everyone is always willing to help with whatever I am doing.
  • fw3, Cackling Jack and -LN- like this

Kushology
  • Kushology

Bleeding Green

• Members
  • Canada
  • Biggest Pervert
    Nicest Canadian

Posted 4 weeks ago

When I first started playing, it was mostly with friends I actually know or family.

They mostly moved on from GTA and don't play anymore, actually haven't played in a LONG time.

One family member does still play, but he plays single player only with mods.

Majority of the people I play with these days, are from the GTAForums* or Paleto Bay Mayors Office crew.

Spoiler

There's also a select few that I've befriended throughout this seasons Clash of The Crew** that I see once in a while.

Spoiler
  • fw3, Cackling Jack and Amy Vinewood like this

ThreeIIIPercent
  • ThreeIIIPercent

Embrace The Succ

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

Forever alone. Feelsbadman.jpg
  • fw3 and DrRumpleSweatyForeSkin like this

budcat
  • budcat

Clam Digger

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 4 weeks ago

I'm down to just 1 real life friend who very rarely plays these days.  He clearly hates himself less than I do.

• fw3 and DrRumpleSweatyForeSkin like this

-LN-
  • -LN-

Acquired Taste

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by -LN-, 4 weeks ago.

I'd always rather play this game with a friend or several friends; if you have a good group of people who mesh well together, it can make all the difference in the world. Whenever I first started playing (January of 2014), I either played solo or with randoms, but my frustrations led me to find a crew, which I did, and from there I've been able to cement some truly rewarding friendships with like-minded players.

There are people on my friends list who I game with quite often and those I cannot even remember adding. However, back in the day (2014-2015), my job was less demanding and I had a lot more gaming time as a whole; it wasn't uncommon to game with forty or so different friends over the course of a single day. Unfortunately, people burn out, real life matters get in the way, and you often find yourself struggling to make time to see and game with everyone on a regular basis. I don't delete friends that I haven't gamed with in years; I've had random names turn up for jobs that I hadn't seen in months or years, and the experience has been generally quite rewarding, often as if no time had passed and nothing had ever changed.

These days, I have my close friends, casual friends, and obscure friends. The obscure friends are generally the ones I know absolutely nothing about aside from their PSN user names, but who will turn up for missions, races, etc every now and then. I have lots of those, but generally if I'm online playing GTA, I'm either incognito getting caught up with organising cars or showing online and actively gaming and conversing with those I consider close or casual friends. The game is quite stale for me on the solo level, so if no one is on or keen on doing anything, I'll switch over to a different  game entirely.

I'm hesitant about adding people I know in real life (especially from work) to my PSN friends list--there are a few that I've added in the past, but I either don't game with them regularly or haven't ever gamed with them at all. There's something a bit unsettling about the thought of co-workers seeing you online at certain times. :O Most of my closer friends are former or current crew members (and sometimes their friends) or people that I have met from this forum. I do have one friend from the forum that I talk to every day and we will often game together three, four, or more times per week if our schedules allow us to do so. :)  Though as time has passed, we find ourselves playing other games far more frequently than GTA. The vast majority of my other close friends are Aussies; oi, oi, oi! :D

As far as personalities go, I don't know where I fall; I'm usually very casual, easy-going, and always laughing. I'm sure that I can give a bit of credit to what I'm usually doing before or while I'm playing. :p  However, I'm also competitive and I love a fair, fierce, and healthy battle among friends in races, deathmatches, etc. Most of my closer friends seem to share the same mindset and playing style, so it often works out rather well for the most part. When competition is in the mix, emotions can sometimes ignite, but in the end, what is important is how we handle ourselves afterwards and knowing how to respectfully win or lose at whatever we're doing.  At any rate, I suppose that deep down, most of the experience depends upon what exactly we're doing in the game and who's in the group with us.

However, with all of that said, do yourself a favour and perhaps step outside your comfort zone and find some like-minded players to game with. It's truly a game changing experience; without my friends, I definitely would not have been able to enjoy playing as much as I did in the past and likely would have given up on the game years ago. I'm definitely not the most social person in real life, but when it comes to gaming, I'd much rather be around others--especially if we have similar approaches to the way we game as a whole.

• FlacidJack, fw3, Rafae and 5 others like this

ryannata
  • ryannata

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

I only have <5 friends in gtao, rarely play together because we're the lone wolves, only join a session together when we're doing heists, it's great no f*ck ups no rambo players (the one that always go in without planning thinking he's unstoppable

the problem is the timezone when it's afternoon in my zone my other friends is already sleeping at night, so i have to play in the morning to get all the friends together which is rarely happening due to my workshift
  • fw3 likes this

Quinn_flower
  • Quinn_flower

S.T.A.R.S Unit/The Dear R* Girl

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 4 weeks ago

Lone wolf here anti social
  • fw3, ShimmerDoll, Happy Hunter and 1 other like this

Rafae
  • Rafae

OG

• GTAF Crew
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

What a shame
  • fw3 and -LN- like this

stofegad
  • stofegad

OS80

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

I must say, I didn't believe too much in Social entertainment on console before GTA Online (4 years ago).
Now I can say I was wrong, I love to play with mi crew and share fun with them :D

• fw3 and -LN- like this

Cackling Jack
  • Cackling Jack

Hold My Beer And Watch This!

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by JackIrish, 4 weeks ago.

One of the only reasons I play gtao. My Friends/Crew. I had 2 years of bs with old crew then I found new friends/crew and have had a blast since. I love playing with them when I can mainly timezone difference is a pain, I have become close to them and really feel good being around them more than my real life friends who have either been killed serving their country or have completely crapped on me from a great height. So yeah that sums that up. 

• fw3, -LN-, Amy Vinewood and 2 others like this

Professional Amateur
  • Professional Amateur

Pyro Maniac

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 4 weeks ago

The vast majority of my other close friends are Aussies; oi, oi, oi! :D

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, oi oi oi!

Friendships really make this game a lot more fun. I mostly play with real life friends, but whether I met them in Sydney, New Zealand, Sweden, Britain or Los Santos, it doesn't really matter as they're all still mates. I seem to have ended up in a pretty good place as far as their personalities go- we all get along fairly well and we're interested in some of the same things (aviation and cars, for example.)  Some of them are free roam PvP types that, on the rare occasion, will also bring me along for a bit of a firefight.

GTAO's versatility really shines when playing with friends or crew members. We can all enter a deathmatch, race, contact mission, skydive, survival or heist and just chat whilst having a laugh, possibly at the expense of other mates. I enjoy a race or deathmatch every once in a while but it's so much more enjoyable when you know the people you're competing against/teamed up with. I can spend about an hour or so in GTAO solo, however,  I'll stay in a session for hours when messing about with friends. I don't usually play too much nowadays, but I know it'll be a damn good time when I load into a session and see 'Friends in Session: *gamertag(s)*' just above the minimap.

As for labels? I'd have to be that one fairly chilled out guy who won't shut up for a while when aircraft are mentioned in a conversation. Thankfully some of my friends are fans of aviation so they're willing to put up with it!

• V4S, fw3,  and 3 others like this

Blaquerayne
  • Blaquerayne

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

Me too. I wish there was a way to do heist missions by yourself, they seem interesting but playing with other people? No thanks.
  • fw3 likes this

Mrnrfan182
  • Mrnrfan182

Hustler

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Mrnrfan182, 4 weeks ago.

Lone wolf...

I've lost a step or two in my old age. Once GTA became COD my general interest in playing with others faded. Where I once could dominate a session with bullets and some strategy, the new GTA landscape has left me behind. I'm not into explosive rounds or flying bikes. Many of the "friends" on my friends list are people I swapped kills with for hours until finally sending that "great shot" or "good fight, really enjoyed it" text and friend request. I just don't end up in those scenarios anymore. i can't remember the last time I even got a friend request...I can tell you the last time I got a "u suck" text from a flying bike riding, explosive sniper using sh*t head...
  • fw3 and SirWillC like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users