Quantcast

» «
Photo

Nothing lasts forever, when will GTA franchise die?

59 replies to this topic
AnimalFather
  • AnimalFather

Crackhead

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 17 September 2017 - 10:35 PM

Any predictions and why?

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:39 AM

It did when Shark Cards were introduced and GTA:Online was created.

But seriously, Rockstar will surely try to replicate the success of GTA:Online into another GTA game.

• Mister Pink, Official General, Humzz and 5 others like this

Gtaman_92
  • Gtaman_92

Token black guy.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:06 AM Edited by Gtaman_92, 18 September 2017 - 03:08 AM.

Lol it died already thanks to GTA Online.
  • Humzz, Light Syde Riandy, Niobium and 2 others like this

Yinepi
  • Yinepi

Wepwawet Wannabe

• Members
  • Egypt

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:36 AM

Online was just the start of New Rockstar. Eventually all of the franchises we love will be complete freemium model. GTA, being their most popular game was only a start. They will see shark cards as a success in the general scheme of things and start adapting a similar strategy aimed at their other more cliche audiences. The fall of GTA is caused by it's own need to stay relevant in the industry.

MojoGamer
  • MojoGamer

Ultra Instinct

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:41 AM Edited by MojoGamer, 18 September 2017 - 03:42 AM.

Yes, it already died with Gta 5. But if they make Gta 6 better then all their games combined in 4K resolution. Plus finish up the remaining cities Vice City, Las Venturas and San Fierro for a prologue. Since San Fierro didn't make it into Gta 5. They also need to shorten the RDR2 delay to January and sell Gta 6 in Spring 2018.

That will resurrect the Gta franchise and continue selling millions worldwide.

deadasdisco
  • deadasdisco

Rat

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:56 AM

Its up there with mario and stuff in terms of Sales and popularity so probs not for a very long time.

ViceOfLiberty
  • ViceOfLiberty

Prankster

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:08 AM

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:36 AM

Single player in the franchise has certainly reached an all-time low. HD Era has proved to be a massive disappointment, so far. It will take many years for the franchise to die, but the single player is moving closer to becoming worth nothing more than a tutorial mode. 

• Humzz, gtafan26, Light Syde Riandy and 1 other like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:50 AM

As much a I would love to see HD Vice City I do hope another city gets a go before R* pull the pin for good.

I'd say it'll stick around for atleast another decade to squeeze in a couple more games. If recent development cycles are anything to go by.
  • MojoGamer likes this

Gokuzbu
  • Gokuzbu

Luis and Niko will not be touched by Trevor.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:25 AM

Creative disputes like Kojima and Metal Gear.

• Humzz and Pedinhuh like this

Efreet
  • Efreet

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:01 AM

When it stops being profitable to Take 2 Interactive. 

VictorVince1239
  • VictorVince1239

Thug

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:27 AM

Can't see it going away anytime soon. They're milking the hell out of online right now but eventually they will make new locations one way or another. 

I still think they will eventually look into building a main story with the option to have multiplayer. Could be a interesting spin.

jdv95
  • jdv95

grotti enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:02 PM

GTA in it's true form ended when rockstar decided to go with that idiotic mindset of "every game must be online/co-op".

it could be ressurected with 6 but taking their rdr2 statment with the whole online thing,i'm afraid they have killed it.

• Official General, Humzz, gtafan26 and 1 other like this

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:17 PM Edited by Official General, 18 September 2017 - 01:19 PM.

But seriously, Rockstar will surely try to replicate the success of GTA:Online into another GTA game.

This.

The beginning of the end for GTA is already here. By that, I mean of course the franchise will remain active for a long while yet, but the greatness it was once known for will soon be no more. 

• anthony, Light Syde Riandy, R3CON and 1 other like this

steve bambar
  • steve bambar

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:08 PM Edited by steve bambar, 18 September 2017 - 02:11 PM.

pes and fifa never die

but gta dies when they went full online

Neon_Dreaming
  • Neon_Dreaming

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:14 PM

The brand name of GTA will be around for the foreseeable future, however the quality and focus of the game, whether it's focused more on single player or multiplayer is yet to be seen.
  • R3CON likes this

Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

prettier n nastier

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:21 PM

It's already dead to me tbh.

Trooper Fera
  • Trooper Fera

Are you late to the abortion clinic?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:46 PM

Why is it even Grand Theft Auto anymore if you are forced to buy, instead of steal in online?

• Official General, Humzz, uJhatafart00 and 4 others like this

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

Why is it even Grand Theft Auto anymore if you are forced to buy, instead of steal in online?

LOL fair point 100 percent. 

(Ambient)
  • (Ambient)

Three stars

• Facade
  • Poland

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by (Ambient), 4 weeks ago.

I think that the series is slowly dying with thanks to GTA Online and Rockstar's Shark Cards policy.

ViceOfLiberty
  • ViceOfLiberty

Prankster

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by ViceOfLiberty, 4 weeks ago.

I think that the series is slowly dying with thanks to GTA Online and Rockstar's Shark Cards policy.

I agree. But sometimes I can't help to think that all of this is really, in its most basic rite, a result of the psychology of the average person who plays games in modern times. It's not just nerds and people who want food for their imagination anymore. Now it's typical douches and other sections of society who don't care for cohesive, immersive, experiences as much as they care for the cheesy Hollywood gimmicks that make their eyes light up... Special effects, explosions, ridiculous humor, and getting one up on the next player to feed their ego. Sh*t that can please even the lowest common denominator. 

It's like going from movies like Death Wish with Charles Bronson or Goodfellas to Fast 7 and XXX. 

• Mister Pink, B Dawg, gunziness and 6 others like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpunk

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Mister Pink, 4 weeks ago.

...It's like going from movies like Death Wish with Charles Bronson or Goodfellas to Fast 7 and XXX. 

Great comparison/analogy.

I agree with Online and Shark Card thing. I think this new GTA era is not appealing to me. It's appealing to another generation or type of gamer. Maybe I matured or became more of a hardcore gamer. Some times I wonder if it's just me growing out of GTA but other parts of me knows what I want and Rockstar or GTA isn't ticking the boxes for me any more. 

I think Rockstar are good a listening to the fans. I mean they're not going to straight-up admit it but I think they do. My issue is that IV, while I love it was an extreme change from the trajectory that 3D era seemed to take and it was stripped-down on many fronts but then V went the complete opposite way. The series keeps swinging to these extremes and it just seems like it doesn't quite know what it is any more. Because when you make a game in an extreme other direction, you alienate original fans and then when you swing it the other way, you alienate the fans that arrived after.

For example, Fans that arrived during GTA III, saw a progression from III to VC which didn't change the formula, just the location and added new features. San Andreas just went bigger again and added more features. Then if you arrived and IV was your first GTA, I suppose that's great but you would probably be a different kind of fan from someone who started with GTA V as their first GTA V. I know they want to make each GTA unique and different but GTA is so great to me that a new location would have sufficed for me instead of online. I could play the GTA "formula" a few more times without many drastic changes like Online focus and be content because it's not like it comes out every year. Just a new setting, new city to explore, new storyline. 

A whole new breed of GTA fan is here. They had the island unlocked from the start. No need to complete the story. I know people that didn't bother with the story. GTA is an online game for them. Glitching, cheating and griefing is a GTA past-time.  

I don't know, I'm hoping Rockstar win us over with a the most compelling single player story yet with no yoga,but drug dealing missions, decisions, new location for a change, more than one city and the drug-dealing or business features that were in Online in singleplayer, empire building and buying properties. 

• Algonquin Assassin, venom62, Humzz and 5 others like this

AnimalFather
  • AnimalFather

Crackhead

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 4 weeks ago

i dont think rockstar will remove the amazing storyline from GTA, that wont happen. im not buying to your fearmongering. 

what could happen is that the brothers decide to retire and sell off the IP to EA.

• MisFit-138 likes this

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 4 weeks ago

i dont think rockstar will remove the amazing storyline from GTA, that wont happen. im not buying to your fearmongering. 

what could happen is that the brothers decide to retire and sell off the IP to EA.

That also won't happen because T2. Rockstar is their most famous creation, and GTA is the most famous creation of R*. Even if Rockstar decides, for some reason, to "Retire", they will hold GTA with their teeth and pass its ip to the next big company on their list, 2K, possibly to Hangar 13, since they're already known for the Mafia series.

Terrazi Terrajin
  • Terrazi Terrajin

I want you to feel the pressure.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 4 weeks ago

Next GTA? They will pull that sh*t with Red Dead 2 before we even hear about GTA6.

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 4 weeks ago

Next GTA? They will pull that sh*t with Red Dead 2 before we even hear about GTA6.

I don't think Red Dead Online will be that much of a success, because GTA V is set in recent times, so adding futuristic things into the game won't be that much out of place, but adding a Tron bike into the old west would be as out of place as you can get.

VictorVince1239
  • VictorVince1239

Thug

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by VictorVince1239, 4 weeks ago.

Wouldn't surprise me if they do come up with some futuristic looking stuff like48EPv1.gifthis for Red Dead 2 online.

And also Armored horse carriages. Flying unicorns and whatever else they come up with to get shark card money.

• Humzz, gtafan26, Niobium and 1 other like this

Supermario401
  • Supermario401

Player Hater

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 4 weeks ago

GTA will still be alive as long as there is a PC version that can support mods. That's the only way IMO to make GTA still appealing to us fans of the franchise.

AnimalFather
  • AnimalFather

Crackhead

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 4 weeks ago

surely if the brothers decide to retire. that is the end of the franchise..

• MojoGamer likes this

xXxKAMIKAZExXx
  • xXxKAMIKAZExXx

Stunt Pilot

• Members
  • England

Posted 4 weeks ago

All jokes aside, I think we will get at least two more GTA games. Regardless if you like GTA Online or not, it's making Rockstar too much money to abandon. GTA V alone broke many records because of how many copies they sold.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users