Quantcast

» «
Photo

Why is GTA V hated so much

782 replies to this topic

Poll: Hater (240 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you like GTA V

1. Yes (161 votes [67.08%])

Percentage of vote: 67.08%

2. No (79 votes [32.92%])

Percentage of vote: 32.92%

Vote Guests cannot vote
GrudgefromSanAndreas
  • GrudgefromSanAndreas

Straight outta Pluton's Ass

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 4 days ago

• Well, i don't like the story in general but there are some missions i'd always love to replay, especially involving Franklin and Lamar (including the mission of the same title), but i once played in cafe a mission involving Trevor & Michael where Mike looks to assassinate some Armenian i think while Trevor is torturing some guy and at the end of mission bringing him to airport. I liked the mission, because the assassination reminded me of Hitman games, which i like, while the torturing part looks like Punisher with a "happy ending", still kinda weird but it shows how "normal" and caring Trevor can be. But in general i'd prefer to play as Trevor cause i don't like to be in the role of an assassin/bank robber and film producer with annoying kids (even if Mike wasn't a high-end criminal and producer at the same time)
  • Even tho i'm used to car handling the way it is, it's still annoying sometimes, but mostly in cutscenes, director mode and cinematic camera view, just feels like a huge contrast/misfit in a movie compared to everything else, killing the ambient/atmosphere while trying to imitate real life
  • Not sure how good is playing with BAWSAQ to gain money but i prefer all other ways to earn cash cause they're mostly safer
  • The game as HD has lots of non-HD stuff like models of cups, cans, some parts of vehicle interiors, even shapes of some roads and maybe land (it looks blurry at many places), but i'm astonished how weapons and cars have extremely HD models and exteriors (they might even be 4k)

Overall i do like the game despite disliking the story for the most part, but i would probably finish the storyline to get all weapons and 100% armour for any car, skipping all annoying cutscenes if possible

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 days ago Edited by Official General, 4 days ago.

@ ChiroVette

Trust me when I say this, with a good enough sound system, IV's gun shot sounds are spectacularly realistic and ear-shattering, especially during intense gunfights - just to get invloved in a gunfight with all these brilliant effects never gets old. The loud, crisp bang and pop of the Glock and the thunderous clatter of the Micro SMG, the AK47 and M4 assault rifles were brilliantly crafted - I'm at a loss as to why Rockstar decided to change the sounds in V for much more inferior ones. Even to this day, when a gang member pulls out an Uzi on me in a confrontation and fires at me, I'm totally taken by surprise by the sound, and I sometimes still jump with shock !

However, what I love about V was the blowback mechanics effect on the pistols, it was very realistic and fulfilling, I love that, and IV does not have this - I'm guessing due to the technology not being available at the time. But still V gets one over IV for this feature.

Listen, if you like the stuff in V, just play TBOGT, as the two games share many similarities, so there is very little reason for you not to like it, end of story.

For me I liked it, simply because it included a good number of missing features that I really enjoyed were not seen in IV (especially the hugely fun Drug Wars, Cage Fighting, and Gambling). I also loved the fact you had a chance to experience the bright lights and bustling nightlife of Liberty City, that experience in itself was pure gold. In short, TBOGT made up for a lot IV's shortcomings, so backpedal or not I was quite satisfied with it. 

I liked it a lot too, its just a very, very slight feeling I have toward it. Im all for the glitz and glamourous tone, but as a tie-in to IV and TLAD it strayed too far from the story a bit with a lot of unnecessary craziness. It seemed a little forced tbh rather than being a natural change in tone like TLAD.

Storywise, Luis does not match up to Niko or Johnny as a character, I thought Rockstar made him out to be some kind of psycho to justify the lunacy of the missions.

Fair point, but it was not quite unrealistic craziness that made me like TBOGT a lot - it was more the wacky, crazy stuff was still more within the realm of realism - the crazy nightclub scenarios, the failed drug deals and drug-deal set ups, the mob confrontations, and the brilliantly fun side mission of Drug Wars. 

• Cheatz_N_Trickz likes this

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 4 days ago

Plus in TBOGT you can do the Bus Stop dance in a gay night club with a load of people and get challenged to a dance off by an angry gay man.

That is like the most evolved thing from San Andreas in the HD era. :D

Cheatz_N_Trickz
  • Cheatz_N_Trickz

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 4 days ago

The Nitro in TBOGT is also amazing, was very surprised that didnt return in V (though all vehicles have ridiculous top speed anyway).

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 days ago

Totally forgot about the nitro, although outside of the main and side missions/online (where it lowers the traffic) using it in free mode was chaos and you were more likely to smash into a load of oncoming cars :p :D

But yeah, considering how wide and open the roads are in LS I'm surprised it didn't come back but I guess Franklin's ability is meant to compensate for that.

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

GTA V = The Anti-Snore (IV) AKA The Snore Killer!

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 days ago

Totally forgot about the nitro, although outside of the main and side missions/online (where it lowers the traffic) using it in free mode was chaos and you were more likely to smash into a load of oncoming cars :p :D

But yeah, considering how wide and open the roads are in LS I'm surprised it didn't come back but I guess Franklin's ability is meant to compensate for that.

Yeah you guys are totally talking me into it now. lol I had no idea that TBoGT had nitro. Not sure how useful it is with the roads being so narrow in LC and the cars sliding all over the place, but that would have been really nice as a car feature in V given V's car handling, and, as you say, the wide open roads.

@ ChiroVette

Trust me when I say this, with a good enough sound system, IV's gun shot sounds are spectacularly realistic and ear-shattering, especially during intense gunfights - just to get invloved in a gunfight with all these brilliant effects never gets old. The loud, crisp bang and pop of the Glock and the thunderous clatter of the Micro SMG, the AK47 and M4 assault rifles were brilliantly crafted - I'm at a loss as to why Rockstar decided to change the sounds in V for much more inferior ones. Even to this day, when a gang member pulls out an Uzi on me in a confrontation and fires at me, I'm totally taken by surprise by the sound, and I sometimes still jump with shock !

However, what I love about V was the blowback mechanics effect on the pistols, it was very realistic and fulfilling, I love that, and IV does not have this - I'm guessing due to the technology not being available at the time. But still V gets one over IV for this feature.

Listen, if you like the stuff in IV, just play TBOGT, as the two games share many similarities, so there is very little reason for you not to like it, end of story.

Honestly, if I am going to buy the damned thing, I might as well just suck it up and play TLaD, too. The Episodes are not full games, and even if I am not crazy about them, and don't like IV's physics, its not like some huge time commitment to just give them a chance. I am sure they can both be completed in a short enough time that I can deal with whatever issues I have with them being extensions of IV.

I am insanely busy now until the holidays, and have a shelf full of games I have been meaning to pick up, so I will probably snag them after or during the Christmas holidays.

I mean, I might as well. Almost tempted to just do some quick run through just the storyline of IV to get "re-acclimated" to that version of LC. Almost. lol
  • Algonquin Assassin likes this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 4 days ago

I mean, I might as well. Almost tempted to just do some quick run through just the storyline of IV to get "re-acclimated" to that version of LC. Almost. lol

Are my eyes deceiving me or did Chiro really just say he's almost tempted to play GTA IV again? I'm surprised the other guys have talked you into trying out EFLC (Especially TLAD), but if you're going to play them eventually you may as well take the full plunge and play GTA IV again to get the full extent of the story.

It's been a number of years. Who knows. Maybe playing it again might make you appreciate something that perhaps you didn't before. I know I have with a few games I didn't like at first, but revisiting them a few years later. ;)

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 4 days ago Edited by John Smith, 4 days ago.

Speaking of guns, whilst the gun sounds were indeed much louder in IV, they were much more realistic sounding in V. The sounds in IV had that movie-esque OTT sound, which while I agree can make gunfights more intense - as somebody else mentioned in the form of the movie Heat - I had no problem with the sounds in V. I actually quite liked the more punchy sound. The AK47 actually sounded quite similar to the AK in III, I thought. Anything was better than San Andreas' gun sounds - they were absolutely abysmal.

One thing I like better about the weapons in V over all the previous entries in the series was the introduction of the blowback action. After playing Max Payne 3 and falling in love with this animation, it was a pretty huge desire of mine for V, and R* delivered. It gives you a massive sense of actually firing a bullet from your weapon, and looks even more awesome when using Michael's special ability.

Edit: Also, Chiro, you really ought to give EFLC - in particular TBoGT - a shot. They're pretty fun additions to IV, and really great in terms of DLC standards.
  • Algonquin Assassin, Piggsy pls and Misunderstood like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 4 days ago

.Anything was better than San Andreas' gun sounds - they were absolutely abysmal.

San Andreas' gun sounds are by far the worst in the series. GTA III and Vice City were way better so it has nothing to do with age. Whilst some of the guns in GTA V do sound a bit off to me (then again the pistol in GTA IV honestly sounds pretty bad) none of the guns sound like cap guns like they do in San Andreas.

• John Smith, Piggsy pls and Misunderstood like this

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 days ago

@ChiroVette: NO! Don't do that, don't replay IV cause all that will do is remind you how much you hate GTA IV and then you'll avoid EFLC again. Just go straight to TBOGT, then maybe TLAD when you're done THEN IV so you can see how the story comes together knowing what you do from TLAD/TBOGT.
  • Official General likes this

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 4 days ago

San Andreas' gun sounds are by far the worst in the series. GTA III and Vice City were way better so it has nothing to do with age.

Yeah, this was something that always puzzled me. SA had 3 years on III, and 2 years on VC, yet the sounds and cartoonish flashes would have you believe the developers created this aspect back in the 90s. San Andreas was still a phenomenal game, IMO, so I'm certainly not here to bash it. This was just bit of a gripe of mine. Anyway, I guess im getting off topic here.

Cheatz_N_Trickz
  • Cheatz_N_Trickz

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 4 days ago Edited by Cheatz_N_Trickz, 4 days ago.

Theres no such thing as a ''quick run through'' of GTA IV's story (well, there is the LC minute), but my point is that the story of IV requires a certain level of investment. It ain't no dumb popcorn flick like V, it is instead like a Tarantino movie, you need to give it your full attention and think about the events unfolding to understand it.

But if the gameplay isn't to your taste, then naturally the story is not going to be able to work its magic on you.
  • Algonquin Assassin, Official General and ExTerminator like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 4 days ago

Theres no such thing as a ''quick run through'' of GTA IV's story (well, there is the LC minute), but my point is that the story of IV requires a certain level of investment. It ain't no dumb popcorn flick like V, it is instead like a Tarantino movie, you need to give it your full attention and think about the events unfolding to understand it.

But if the gameplay isn't to your taste, then naturally the story is not going to be able to work its magic on you.

GTA IV's story is indeed a lot to take in. It's not for everyone though and I don't think it's really the type of story to be blasting through as you'll overlook a lot of its contextual meaning. Sometimes that's why I think when the game first came out a lot of people found the story to be boring.

Coupled with the fact EFLC actually adds more depth to it essentially if you only play one of the games you only get 1/3rd of the story overall. I've still never committed to a chronological playthough of GTA IV//EFLC yet. Will do it one day.

• Official General, Cheatz_N_Trickz and ExTerminator like this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 days ago Edited by ChiroVette, 4 days ago.

Relax, guys, I don't want anyone's head to explode in here. I was just kidding about playing IV. Hence the "Almost" and the lol

I did, however, have to check my calendar and remind myself that April 1st was a little less than 5 months away.

It ain't no dumb popcorn flick like V

V has a much better story than IV, but if you like popcorn, then by all means, I recommend some fresh popped kettle-corn, not that microwave crap that you may be accustomed to as a fan of IV.

Banana
  • Banana

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 days ago

GTA: IV felt like the series had come to a maturity. V was like a midlife crisis.

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 days ago Edited by ChiroVette, 4 days ago.

GTA: IV felt like the series had come to a maturity. V was like a midlife crisis.

Correction: IV felt like a delusional child with Asperger's who thinks he is more mature than he actually is and takes himself way too seriously, and V feels like a well rounded, articulate, interesting adult with more life expience.
  • Lioshenka likes this

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 days ago

.Anything was better than San Andreas' gun sounds - they were absolutely abysmal.

San Andreas' gun sounds are by far the worst in the series. GTA III and Vice City were way better so it has nothing to do with age. Whilst some of the guns in GTA V do sound a bit off to me (then again the pistol in GTA IV honestly sounds pretty bad) none of the guns sound like cap guns like they do in San Andreas.

I actually changed the gun sounds and effects of SA to the same sound as the ones in IV with a mod, and it feels much better. 

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 4 days ago

Relax, guys, I don't want anyone's head to explode in here. I was just kidding about playing IV. Hence the "Almost" and the lol

I did, however, have to check my calendar and remind myself that April 1st was a little less than 5 months away.

vyJ_eDXv.png

You had me a bit excited.
  • ChiroVette likes this

Cheatz_N_Trickz
  • Cheatz_N_Trickz

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 4 days ago Edited by Cheatz_N_Trickz, 4 days ago.

but if you like popcorn, then by all means, I recommend some fresh popped kettle-corn, not that microwave crap that you may be accustomed to as a fan of IV.

I recommend a stronger ointment for that burn of yours, it is clearly not healing.
  • Official General and ExTerminator like this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 days ago Edited by ChiroVette, 3 days ago.

but if you like popcorn, then by all means, I recommend some fresh popped kettle-corn, not that microwave crap that you may be accustomed to as a fan of IV.

I recommend a stronger ointment for that burn of yours, it is clearly not healing.

LMAO to quote my man Trevor, one of the best characters in GTA history, "I think I have to call pot and kettle on that one, my friend."

You really want to accuse ME of being mad when you guys are basically making the same whinges & bitches over and over again in this forum for FOUR years now? Or do I need to remind you that, like the vast majority of GTA fans, I am actually HAPPY with where Rockstar decided to go with the latest installment. I realize that you small, fractional, angry and always pissed off contingent of butthurt Snore IV fans really are salty about all this. And I am also prepared to accept the fact that you erroneously conflate the fact that I have a great time mocking you for it on a daily basis with your idiotic notion that I am the disgruntled one.

In psychology, that is called projection.

Cheatz_N_Trickz
  • Cheatz_N_Trickz

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 3 days ago

to quote my man Trevor

Save some of that ointment for Trev would you? After that ending, he could seriously use some.

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 days ago

to quote my man Trevor

Save some of that ointment for Trev would you? After that ending, he could seriously use some.

Well I was doing some stuff on my 100% save, and I specifically asked Trevor if he needed some ointment, explaining that some disgruntled Snore IV fan was generous enough to offer it. He explained to me that he needs no ointment at all, BUT that you should use copious amounts to soothe some of that IV-butthurt you are still nurturing after four+ long years. Then we both had a laugh as he turned over his shoe and offered the little smidgen of now-dried brain matter from that Drug-addled, pussy-whipped, washed out Liberty City cuckold some ointment.

For some reason, though, poor, poor Cuckold-Kay didn't answer. So we decided to let you have it all to nurse your malady.

You're welcome!  :r*:  :r*:  :r*:  :r*: 

CesarCorona
  • CesarCorona

Street Cat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 days ago

I wont speak for anyone but myself and personally I love GTA V! its a fun game and lots to do. it is a complete and different element than IV, three or any other game so I dont Hate V! The end:)
  • ChiroVette and Algonquin Assassin like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 3 days ago

I wont speak for anyone but myself and personally I love GTA V! its a fun game and lots to do. it is a complete and different element than IV, three or any other game so I dont Hate V! The end:)

To bring some light back I think this is one of the greatest qualities about the series honestly which is probably why the "which game is better?" debates are so hotly contested. ;)

But for real I think this is one of the things we as GTA fans may take a bit for granted. Where other franchises like COD and Assassin's Creed have been lambasted for lacking innovation and generally feeling no different from one title the next the GTA series has survived for over 20 years with each title evolving in its own way. I like that GTA V feels different to GTA IV, I like that GTA IV feels different to San Andreas etc.

Whilst I don't have the same attachment to GTA V like I do with GTA IV and Vice City depending on my mood I don't mind playing GTA V when I just want to kick back and relax. When I want something a bIt more serious I play GTA IV.

Not to sound fanboyish, but this is the reason I've generally stuck by the GTA series more than any other. R* understands people are different and they have different tastes which IMO is why each game seems to cater for different needs. I don't find that with many other franchises.

• ChiroVette, Official General, woggleman and 2 others like this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 days ago

To bring some light back I think this is one of the greatest qualities about the series honestly which is probably why the "which game is better?" debates are so hotly contested. ;)

But for real I think this is one of the things we as GTA fans may take a bit for granted. Where other franchises like COD and Assassin's Creed have been lambasted for lacking innovation and generally feeling no different from one title the next the GTA series has survived for over 20 years with each title evolving in its own way. I like that GTA V feels different to GTA IV, I like that GTA IV feels different to San Andreas etc.

Whilst I don't have the same attachment to GTA V like I do with GTA IV and Vice City depending on my mood I don't mind playing GTA V when I just want to kick back and relax. When I want something a bIt more serious I play GTA IV.

Not to sound fanboyish, but this is the reason I've generally stuck by the GTA series more than any other. R* understands people are different and they have different tastes which IMO is why each game seems to cater for different needs. I don't find that with many other franchises.

I fully agree with this. Whether or not you like V, IV or whatever at least Rockstar doesn't just regurgitate the same cookie cutter crap every year. 

• ChiroVette, Algonquin Assassin, Official General and 2 others like this

CesarCorona
  • CesarCorona

Street Cat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 days ago

I fully agree with this. Whether or not you like V, IV or whatever at least Rockstar doesn't just regurgitate the same cookie cutter crap every year. 

I see what you mean. I have and at times go back to IV or my personal fave of that era San Andreas. GTA 3 and VC! To Episodes of Liberty City, in a particular TBOGT. Didnt care much for Tlad. And of course V. Every game brings a different cards to the table....I respect all that you said.
Now, off to play V. Its been 6 Months.

• Algonquin Assassin and Official General like this

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 days ago

@ Algonquin

Totally agree. Whenever I want the gritty, dark streets and concrete jungle blocks, hustle/bustle NYC vibe, I stick in IV and EFLC. Sometimes I might want that SoCal sunny, LA-styled glamour and laid back West Coast livin', it's gonna be GTA V. When I want a whole map with 3 different cities to explore its SA. 

• ChiroVette, Algonquin Assassin and Am Shaegar like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 3 days ago

@ Algonquin

Totally agree. Whenever I want the gritty, dark streets and concrete jungle blocks, hustle/bustle NYC vibe, I stick in IV and EFLC. Sometimes I might want that SoCal sunny, LA-styled glamour and laid back West Coast livin', it's gonna be GTA V. When I want a whole map with 3 different cities to explore its SA. 

That's the beauty of the games OG. Sure we have our personal preferences, but putting aside any personal feelings I might have regarding what I like or dislike from each game I basically see the GTA series as a smorgasbord where we can pick what caters to our tastes. That's a luxury I think is quite rare nowadays.

• Official General and ProKiller93 like this

CGFforLife
  • CGFforLife

Grand Theft Auto V: A huge improvement over snore (IV)

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 2 days ago

GTA all are different, something not seen at every games released nowaday

Lioshenka
  • Lioshenka

KGB agent

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 15 hours ago

I find it funny how seriously some people take the weapon sounds. I was perfectly happy with all of them in all 3d GTAs. GTA 4 car sounds on another hand, pissed me off sooooo badly. It's like all of them were recorded of an electric toy in a basement.

On topic: I don't hate GTA 5, it's an OK game, but it has not lived up to my expectations. SA was much better, and I am not sure if I want to buy GTA 6 after the disappointment of 4 and relative mediocrity of 5. I am not impressed with what the series have become, but would like R* to prove me wrong.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users