Quantcast

» «
Photo

Why is GTA V hated so much

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
823 replies to this topic

Poll: Hater (248 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you like GTA V

1. Yes (166 votes [66.94%])

Percentage of vote: 66.94%

2. No (82 votes [33.06%])

Percentage of vote: 33.06%

Vote
Night_MARE
  • Night_MARE

Gamer, Game Dev, and more.... XD

• Members
  • India

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:38 AM

I really hope they go to the roots next time. When you are "Wasted" or "Busted", a sound (a heartwarming dialogue it was) should play as in GTA 2.

You know - 

"Wasted!"

• CGFforLife likes this

AUScowboy
  • AUScowboy

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:03 AM

My only major gripe was it being a singular land mass. Other than that, it achieved the same reaction i got when playing III and VC way back in 2001/2002. I also very much love online, so nice to be able to play with friends from IRL without having to meet up like we used to for the 3D era. Flawless? Nah, but pretty damn close for me at least.
  • ragedandcaged and CGFforLife like this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

GTA V = The Anti-Snore (IV) AKA The Snore Killer!

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:22 AM Edited by ChiroVette, 18 September 2017 - 09:23 AM.

No likable characters, no fun minigames, no interiors, no secluded forests, no DLC, no max payne 3 gunplay, downgraded euphoria, downgraded visuals, storyline sucks, theme song sucks, 'wasted' screen sucks, can't crouch, animals call cops, cops use aimbot, nothing to buy, multiplayer ruined over time

Yeah. That. We've all heard these before.

lol Yeah, a few people do feel that way. I don't see it at all. Especially since I love the characters, love the maps, I think there are plenty of secluded areas, some of which are green, absolutely amazing visuals, and on and on. I think this game is a HUGE upgrade to a Euphoria Engine I hated in V. Still not crazy about the engine in V, but very happy to see the realism reins were lifted enough to have a lot of fun.

I definitely think that all games have flaws, including V. Online may be a huge, and celebrated extravaganza, but my biggest gripe is Rockstar has used that as a platform to completely abandon SP support in a transparent attempt to sell more Shark Cards. But overall, big picture, V is such a huge evolution forward in terms of gameplay, visuals, and more importantly, since this is a videogame....Fun!!!

My main gripe with IV was that I used to refer to it as "All show, no go." It did look great for a 2008 game on last gen consoles, and I was initially impressed, but that's where it all ended for me. To be completely honest, V is such a fantastic leap forward in story, gameplay, map, visuals, variety, and pure, unadulterated fun, that I am very happy, even with its minor flaws.

There are other niggles I have, some of which I agree with guys like Yinepi about. I wouldn't mind having a lot more interiors, but this is window dressing to me. I have the Open Interiors mod for the PC and that has a huge number of enterable areas. Yet as excited as I was by it, I never go in them. They are boring and lifeless, as all buildings are in sandbox games. Fun as nothing but a novelty. But its still cool to have them, so that's a point.

Then there are common complaints around here like, "I can't get lost in a secluded forest!" which I don't get at all. This is a game that mimics the city sprawl and desert of Los Angeles and its surrounding areas. In California, there are plenty of forests, BUT not a lot near Los Santos. I know you can go to Yosemite, but that is like an 11 hour drive from LA. There are closer forests and national parks, but my point is what would this lack of forest be a deal breaker for some? I mean this is not Grand Theft Lumberjack. There are plenty of green areas, and some stunning scenery.

Can't crouch? Yeah, I kind of agree with that. But it is such a minor thing I never missed it ONCE. Cops having ridiculous aim and rocks and animals calling cops I agree with, but these are minor issues. At least they are with regard to the totality of what V brings to the table.

Someone said it best in this thread, in this forum, "People don't like it because it isn't IV."

And to answer the implied thread question, V is and has remained wildly popular both with regular gamers and GTA fans, not to mention massive critical review. It just isn't IV. And for some reason, some GTA fans, in my opinion, cannot see past their IV-Colored-Glasses.

• Ronno, Pastry, CGFforLife and 2 others like this

gunziness
  • gunziness

Homie

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:18 PM

I really like GTA V, its an amazing game really. The thing is that it has the potential to be a masterpiece, but bad decisions affected that. IMO R* dropped the ball in a lot of aspects about the game like in no other GTA before, and GTAO is a lot to blame really (not entirely, but it has a lot to do with it).

I still play it a bit daily, but sometimes it feels like its really lacking.
  • CGFforLife likes this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:29 PM

I really like GTA V, its an amazing game really. The thing is that it has the potential to be a masterpiece, but bad decisions affected that. IMO R* dropped the ball in a lot of aspects about the game like in no other GTA before, and GTAO is a lot to blame really (not entirely, but it has a lot to do with it).

I think lacking is a general term, but Rockstar does seem so determined to sort of emotionally e-bully people to play Online.

For me the worst part is now I refuse to play online NOT because I don't think it would be fun, but out of sheer stubbornness. I won't be bullied or coerced into Online. So if that means I have to deprive myself, then so be it. But Rockstar is not going to manipulate me into it.

LMAO not that my little protest-of-one would matter one iota to Rockstar, since millions of people love it. But there is no way in hell I would EVER buy a shark card even if I did play Online.

• gunziness, j7n, BurnettVice and 2 others like this

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:16 PM Edited by Official General, 18 September 2017 - 01:17 PM.

My main gripe with IV was that I used to refer to it as "All show, no go." It did look great for a 2008 game on last gen consoles, and I was initially impressed, but that's where it all ended for me. To be completely honest, V is such a fantastic leap forward in story, gameplay, map, visuals, variety, and pure, unadulterated fun, that I am very happy, even with its minor flaws.

I'm very sure this thread is not about IV, nor is it supposed to be a specific and detailed comparison of IV to V :blink:

Just sayin' bro. 

I think lacking is a general term, but Rockstar does seem so determined to sort of emotionally e-bully people to play Online.

For me the worst part is now I refuse to play online NOT because I don't think it would be fun, but out of sheer stubbornness. I won't be bullied or coerced into Online. So if that means I have to deprive myself, then so be it. But Rockstar is not going to manipulate me into it.

LMAO not that my little protest-of-one would matter one iota to Rockstar, since millions of people love it. But there is no way in hell I would EVER buy a shark card even if I did play Online.

We can 100 percent agree on that. I'd rather spend my little bits of money betting on a horse to lose rather than buy a shark card. Slight difference is that I don't find online fun at all. 

• CGFforLife likes this

AUScowboy
  • AUScowboy

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:25 PM

They were comparing and contasting V to IV, a perfectly logical thing to do. You measure a game by the past entries in the series... no need to be triggered by somebody doing so.
  • Ronno, SchizNitz, The Deadite and 1 other like this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:18 PM Edited by ChiroVette, 18 September 2017 - 02:19 PM.

They were comparing and contasting V to IV, a perfectly logical thing to do. You measure a game by the past entries in the series... no need to be triggered by somebody doing so.

Agreed. But the other side of the coin is I also understand where Official General is coming from. Even though I disagree with him about it, as do you obviously. The problem with ditching the comparisons between those two games specifically, by that I mean IV and V, is that in this forum, it is my position that they are inextricably bound by the fact that most of the haters are IV fans whose sole gripes with V are that it is, quite simply, not IV.

The vast majority of the complaints that I have seen are in V's intrinsic not IV'ness.

Look at some the comparisons:

-While I believe that V has an amazing story, one of the best in GTA history, many people here complain about the storyline, characters, writing, dialog, and plot. These are ALWAYS the same people who will claim, if being honest, that IV is the epitome of a GTA story, or at least it is one they really love! They feel that IV embodies all of those attributes I mentioned a moment ago.

-While many people, myself included, believe the driving is MUCH BETTER in V, for whatever reason, some people love the realistic slidey-cars of IV.

-IV is more like a sandbox crime Sim (short for simulator). The inherent ideology behind a SIMULATOR is that it should be as realistic as possible to simulate real life. My position is that IV was the FIRST (and thankfully only) game in the series that is an actual simulator. All of the other GTA games have a balance between realism to add immersion and arcade-like fun and unbridled amusement. Many people in this forum resent V's foray into wild, untamed fun, and act as if V is the odd man out in this regard. Though I would assert that IV is the exception, not V. V recaptures a lot of what made San Andreas great.

There are a lot of other comparisons, but suffice it to say, it is very easy to spot the people whose complaints about V are derived from their love of IV. Yes, over the past year or so, they have become a little more sophisticated in their commentary, by not specifically citing IV. But we all know who they are, and not just by their forum history, either. It is so easy to spot people who may be slick enough to leave out IV specifically but whose entire list of complaints are derived from their love of IV.

And there is nothing wrong with this. Lively debate is good in a forum. However, in the context of complaints about V, it is almost impossible NOT to cite IV in comparison, particularly when someone complains about something in V that is clearly so fundamentally opposite of what was in IV. lol

• Algonquin Assassin and CGFforLife like this

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 September 2017 - 04:40 PM Edited by Official General, 19 September 2017 - 11:02 AM.

You prove my point, you said it yourself - you measure a game by the past entries not entry in the series. So therefore is no need to specifically target IV for comparisons to V in this case, when you consider the general question for the thread's title is Why is GTA hated so much ?, NOT Are comparisons to GTA IV the reason many people hated GTA V ? 

The problem with ditching the comparisons between those two games specifically, by that I mean IV and V, is that in this forum, it is my position that they are inextricably bound by the fact that most of the haters are IV fans whose sole gripes with V are that it is, quite simply, not IV.

The vast majority of the complaints that I have seen are in V's intrinsic not IV'ness

This is where you're kinda going wrong, it's a very skewered way of looking at the matter. The problem with this line of thought is that it's not entirely true at all, in fact I'd say it's probably not true for most part, but only to a very small extent. The majority of V's critics on these forums are certainly not predominantly IV fans. You will find that a huge number of the V critics on here are more fans of San Andreas and Vice City (like myself), than they are of IV. I'm actually more of a VC and SA fan than I am of IV. I really do get that you really despise IV and don't think too highly of the opinions of those that love IV, but don't let your heightened emotions on that subject cloud your judgement. 

The simple fact of the matter is that regardless of what GTA title that is preferred or bias is given to, V was widely regarded as a disappointment and disliked a lot due to significant flaws and shortcomings of the game itself alone, with comparisons to previous entries not really in the equation. IV really shouldn't be a significant component in this discussion in my view. The bottom line is what people found disappointing about V as a game by itself, barring comparisons to previous GTA titles in the series. The previous entries are only a peripheral factor in this. An excellent game relative to expectations and period of time will be recognized by many as one if it genuinely and truly is. In this case, I don't feel V achieved that, as do many others on here. That feeling of a game being a true masterpiece was not felt with V like it had been with previous GTA titles on this forum, and that's what it boils down to, not influence by comparisons to previous entries. 

• anthony likes this

Trooper Fera
  • Trooper Fera

Are you late to the abortion clinic?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:41 PM

Ok, here's my perspective on why I dislike V. 

This is coming from someone who has played 1, 2, III, VC, SA, IV, EFLC, and V. 

In my personal open world game collection, my favorite two games are GTA IV and Saints Row 2. I like GTA IV for it's realism and immersion, and I like SR for it's amount of fun, unrealistic stuff to do. 

On the other hand, V is a game that did a terrible job at both realism and chaos. It feels like they half-assed both aspects. It's not fun or immersive. It's neither. It's a half-assed shell of ideas that were never followed through. 

• anthony likes this

ACM-Jan
  • ACM-Jan

Usually helpful, BUT very defensive upon disrespect

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:16 PM Edited by ACM-Jan, 18 September 2017 - 09:17 PM.

This may feel ike half assed game because it is, it had many things done first time in series and basically V became testing ground for different experiences in one game and features BUT to make test results feedback and money flow faster they (R/T2) moved testing area over to Online, GTA V continues to be beta if you consider online part of the game.

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:53 PM Edited by ChiroVette, 18 September 2017 - 10:56 PM.

This is where you're kinda going wrong, it's a very skewered way of looking at the matter. The problem with this line of though is that it's not entirely true at all, in fact I'd say it's probably not true for most part, but only to a very small extent. The majority of V's critics on these forums are certainly not predominantly IV fans. You will find that a huge number of the V critics on here are more fans of San Andreas and Vice City (like myself), than they are of IV. I'm actually more of a VC and SA fan than I am of IV. I really do get that you really despise IV and don't think too highly of the opinions of those that love IV, but don't let your heightened emotions on that subject cloud your judgement.

First off, I actually don't "despise" IV, per se. I kind of "nothing" IV. The last time I ever played it was way back in 2008, and once I got 100%, after forcing myself to, I was done with it. I was also done criticizing it. I didn't go and spend time in IV forums once I put the game down forever.

My seeming "hatred" of IV is really nothing more than noticing that a lot of V haters are really IV fans (to that in a second). The reason I believe I am right about that is because I am NOT talking about people who have criticisms of V. I am not painting ALL V critics with the same brush. Hell, I have criticisms of V, in many ways that the game departed from old school 3D Era motifs and ideas. But that is not my point.

The reason why you may be misunderstanding me is because when I make that assertion about IV fans hating V, I am not talking about people who are longtime GTA fans, who are all right with V (like it or love it or can take it or leave it) but have criticisms. I am also not talking about people who would be like yourself and Algonquin Assassin, who like V, but it isn't their favorite game.

Clearly there were a lot of amazing things that Rockstar did right in III, VC, and SA that have MANY people, myself included, referring to those games as lightning in a bottle.

As much as I LOVE V, and think that on a technical level, in terms of graphics, evolution of gameplay, map, visuals, and so on, it is a huge leap forward from the 3D Era, is NOT because I think V is a better game.

This may not make sense to you, but if I were to grade GTA V purely as a game, on its own merits, and purely using technical criteria, it would have my vote as the best game. BUT, if I were to grade all the GTA games on a curve, factoring in over TEN years of gaming technology, the fact that V had a budget maybe FIFTY times that of III, VC, or SA, the power of the current Gen of consoles verses the PS2 and PC's from 01 through 05, then on that curve, I think that the PS2 GTA games would be better games.

See, Rockstar didn't have even the architecture of the PS3 and 360, much less modern PCs, the PS4, and the XBox One when making VC, your game of choice. So if you want to argue that if Rockstar were to, for whatever reason create remakes of SA, III, and VC they would be better than V, assuming development on modern tech consoles and PCs, AND if they were restricted to the ideas, motifs, gaming paradigms and philosophies of those original titles, not to mention not tethered to Online as a cash cow, I think you can make that case, and I would probably agree.

However, the point I was making when stating what I said about overt and closet IV fans was NOT to suggest that anyone criticizing V for a myriad of reasons, or who have another GTA game as their favorite (even IV) is a "butthurt" IV fans.

I am specifically talking about the angry, venomous haters who spend more time hating on V than they probably do playing any game, even though the game is four years old. See, I don't think that criticizing GTA V, preferring a story of another game over V (say IV), or having another GTA as a favorite is grounds for what I was accusing at all.

If I am honest, and again grading on a curve of TEN years, I think I may like VC and SA especially more than V.

I guess my point is that while V is not lightning in a bottle in the way that the 2D era games were, it gets attacked (and its fans are labelled as stupid and low brow) for too vehemently  by some people for me to believe that the true haters are thinking rationally.

I mean, I may mock IV incessantly, and I mostly do it in fun and to banter a little with Algonquin, but I don't even think that liking IV over V is grounds for ridicule, its just one's taste. But where I take out the "Snore stick" is when people post what I can only deem are ridiculousness and blatant IV-fanboy-trolling of the V community. Yeah, and to mess with Algonquin, now and again, too.

• Algonquin Assassin and Official General like this

~Tiger~
  • ~Tiger~

• Members
  • None
  • Best Ledby 2015
    Best Ledby 2014
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]
    Contribution Award [GTA V]
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:02 PM

This topic is turning into yet another GTA IV versus GTA V comparison thread. If it continues I see no longevity in it.

If you guys want to prevent it from being locked alongside all the others, please stay on topic and discuss why there seems to be a perception of hatred for V (without resorting to accusations of fanboyism).

Thanks.

• CGFforLife likes this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:24 PM

This topic is turning into yet another GTA IV versus GTA V comparison thread. If it continues I see no longevity in it.

If you guys want to prevent it from being locked alongside all the others, please stay on topic and discuss why there seems to be a perception of hatred for V (without resorting to accusations of fanboyism).

Thanks.

Tiger, because of the history in this forum, I can see why you are saying this, along with some of the comments in this thread. However, you should be aware that some of us, particularly on this page, including Algonquin, Official General, and me are also discussing why we think that IV and V are getting lumped together. We aren't so much doing a pure "versus" debate, but talking about the reasons why the games are always compared to one another, and why IV can, by some, be unintentionally used as "the yardstick" to bash V.

~Tiger~
  • ~Tiger~

• Members
  • None
  • Best Ledby 2015
    Best Ledby 2014

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:29 PM

However, you should be aware that some of us, particularly on this page, including Algonquin, Official General, and me are also discussing why we think that IV and V are getting lumped together.

Yes, I am fully aware and that is why I said that the topic is turning into the same old debate.

Of course comparisons will be made but what I am suggesting is that instead of repeating tired old arguments, please try to open up and explore new avenues of discussion.

• Official General and j7n like this

ToyGT_one
  • ToyGT_one

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Bahrain

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:39 PM

I actually loved GTA V despite some of the flaws it had, just like every other game tbh. Single player wise, it's fun for messing around with mods and director mode. Story wise isn't that bad but I still prefer the darker GTA 4 one's.

Online wise? Unless I'm playing with friends or relatives which I don't then it's really boring and tedious to play. There's no reason to play GTA Online for me apart from messing around with new content for few moments before losing interest immediately.

I can't believe that I bought GTA V for three times...

razorgames
  • razorgames

screw you, devin weston, where is my money for all those cars

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:58 PM

one thing i dont get, how come you are wanted when you go to the military base, because when trevor is driving with wade to los santos, just after destroying the lost mc trailer park, he tells a story about how he worked for the forces. so that makes trevor an ex-soldier! also, why do you get 4 starts for flying over a dock??

~Tiger~
  • ~Tiger~

• Members
  • None
  • Best Ledby 2015
    Best Ledby 2014

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:24 AM

This topic is also in danger of replicating the Whine and Complain thread.

To address the OP I really do not believe for one moment that the "majority of member in this forum hated GTA V".

They didn't.

There were a lot of disappointments for a lot of people, especially areas such as the racecourse and the prison. I think we all assumed that the prison would feature in a 'Rescue Brad' mission and when it didn't we were confused and disappointed; it was such a waste. I even created a thread about it here on the forum. Then, it transpired that the prison was there for GTA Online gameplay. Great. I personally don't particularly like multiplayer gameplay and so when it became clear that large chunks of the game were not for me, I was even more disappointed.

And then there was the ocean. Dear god, so much ocean. Why so much ocean? Beautiful; but this is Grand Theft Auto not Grand Theft Aqua.

To conclude, as with everything else in life, if you expect a lot (and I did) then disappointment is inevitable. The GTA V landscape is very nice. The snapmatic feature is amazing. But, the story was short and stunted with 'missions' that at times were almost insultingly easy. Overall the game was enjoyable and replayable and to suggest that the majority of members 'hate it' is a mistaken assertion.

• Official General, j7n, jaljax and 1 other like this

VoodooVibez
  • VoodooVibez

🤜Kovic Klan🤛

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:41 AM

No likable characters, no fun minigames, no interiors, no secluded forests, no DLC, no max payne 3 gunplay, downgraded euphoria, downgraded visuals, storyline sucks, theme song sucks, 'wasted' screen sucks, can't crouch, animals call cops, cops use aimbot, nothing to buy, multiplayer ruined over time

This, This, and.... THIS!

I really don't get why they bothered trying to come up with a story that revolves around 3 protagonists and other characters... I'd rather have had the one interesting character and a better plot line. 

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Members
  • Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:56 AM

Yeah, and to mess with Algonquin, now and again, too.

Yeah, but remember dude I have the power to mess with peoples' posts/profiles. Remember the profile sabotage from a few weeks back? lol.

All in good fun though despite our differing views. :)

• ChiroVette and CGFforLife like this

~Tiger~
  • ~Tiger~

• Members
  • None
  • Best Ledby 2015
    Best Ledby 2014

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:56 AM

This, This, and.... THIS!

At the risk of repeating myself, if you just want to complain, use This Topic.

Thanks.

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 September 2017 - 01:12 AM Edited by ChiroVette, 19 September 2017 - 01:17 AM.

To address the OP I really do not believe for one moment that the "majority of member in this forum hated GTA V".

They didn't.

I agree. In fact, I think the game is, and has been wildly popular, both with GTA fans (new and old) and gamers in general.

There were a lot of disappointments for a lot of people, especially areas such as the racecourse and the prison. I think we all assumed that the prison would feature in a 'Rescue Brad' mission and when it didn't we were confused and disappointed; it was such a waste. I even created a thread about it here on the forum.

I definitely would NOT characterize the lack of a prison or a prison-rescue mission as cause for confusion or disappointment. At least not for me. I know Brad gets injured and some players expected some grandiose rescue and tear-filled reunion. I didn't. Nor would I really care that much if I did, to be honest.

In a huge game like a GTA title, I am sure there are MANY, MANY ideas that were initially on the table that got scrapped, You can only put so many things in a game, yes, even one as big as a GTA game. Some things inevitably get scrapped, and some of those things are probably things that you or I may like.

Oh well.

Would an enterable prison like in Saint's Row 2 have been nice? Sure, why not. But not including it is just not including it. So they added something else instead. Again, oh well. Also, as you no doubt already know, Brad is dead, and this is a major plot point for a serious rift between Michael and Trevor. Is this good? Bad? Indifferent?

I like the "Brad is dead" theme just fine. I guess it's down to personal taste is all.

Then, it transpired that the prison was there for GTA Online gameplay. Great. I personally don't particularly like multiplayer gameplay and so when it became clear that large chunks of the game were not for me, I was even more disappointed.

This I COMPLETELY agree with. I was also not aware you could enter the prison online. If that's the case, then, yeah, you are right. Shame on Rockstar for that bit of freemium thuggery. While I honestly LOVE GTA V, I think that Online killed a whole lot of extra SP potential. Rockstar really screwed the SP GTA fans big time with this.

And then there was the ocean. Dear god, so much ocean. Why so much ocean? Beautiful; but this is Grand Theft Auto not Grand Theft Aqua.

To conclude, as with everything else in life, if you expect a lot (and I did) then disappointment is inevitable.

What if you expected a lot and got a lot? I did expect a lot and am very happy with the game, even 4 years later. Well, of course not including the Online bullsh*t and lack of post-release SP support, of course.

San Andreas was the same way with a huge ocean. I liked it because in V there are a lot of undersea wreckage sites to explore, and the underwater scenery is beautiful. But if you don't like the oceans in this game, or, for that matter, SA, I can understand that.

The GTA V landscape is very nice. The snapmatic feature is amazing. But, the story was short and stunted with 'missions' that at times were almost insultingly easy. Overall the game was enjoyable and replayable and to suggest that the majority of members 'hate it' is a mistaken assertion.

I actually thought the story was long enough to be satisfying, but one thing that irked me was calling things like "buying masks" missions, which is ludicrous. It seems like Rockstar was trying to inflate the number of missions.

But, as always, GTA main career stories aren't usually that long. Vice City was painfully short, and it is one of my favorite games to date. If you take out all the asset missions, collectibles, side quests, assassination contracts, lol what is Vice City, like 20 career missions? GTA III was also not a very long game in terms of regular career missions, but also had a lot of sides. San Andreas had a decent amount of career missions, more than III and VC, but still, most of the time you spend in that game is "other stuff" required for 100% completion.

Not for anything, but I have NEVER once judged a GTA game by the length of its regular career missions. Because 75-80% of all the stuff you do toward 100% is side missions.

So say you factor out the clear "bullsh*t" missions like buying masks, getting a certain gun from Ammunation, or buying Boiler Suits, and we are left with, oh, I don't know, 55 actual career missions? I think that is fine, particularly when so many of the missions are really in depth, sophisticated, and multi-layered. You may find them too easy, but I liked the fact that they were easy, because I always go for 100%. I have NEVER played a GTA game once for its career. And I hate when sandbox games bog me down in difficulty for ONE mission when I am spending upwards of 100 hours on a 100% campaign.

I find that to be distracting and tedious. Oh and IV had really easy missions too. Of all my complaints about that game, not one of them was that ANYTHING in it was difficult. All GTA games have easy missions, they always have.

The only games I embrace inflated difficulty in are the short games that if they were not amped up somewhat, you would be left paying $59.99 for a game you beat in 2 hours lol!!! That would leave me feeling cheated. But in a sandbox game, when I am spending many dozens of hours to complete, I don't want the inflated difficulty, and actually prefer they be easier, just for pure smooth progression.

~Tiger~
  • ~Tiger~

• Members
  • None
  • Best Ledby 2015
    Best Ledby 2014

Posted 19 September 2017 - 01:31 AM

It has already been mentioned but to expand; a reason why some hate GTA V is the fact that a DLC was clearly promised for single player story mode, and this was scrapped in the wake of the phenomenal success of GTA Online.

Folks turned on the game for lying to them but of course this change of direction was not the fault of the game.

• ragedandcaged likes this

Axl Rose
  • Axl Rose

Dick Laurent Is Dead

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 19 September 2017 - 01:36 AM

Expectations were far too high and the story was lackluster to say the least. 

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 September 2017 - 01:59 AM

It has already been mentioned but to expand; a reason why some hate GTA V is the fact that a DLC was clearly promised for single player story mode, and this was scrapped in the wake of the phenomenal success of GTA Online.

Folks turned on the game for lying to them but of course this change of direction was not the fault of the game.

Agreed. It is the fault of Rockstar for misleading a huge playerbase, many of whom have been with them for over two decades. There is no excuse for the way Rockstar abandoned SP. I guess GTA V is not the only "entity" obsessed with the Almighty Dollar. Only in the game, its FUN. In real life, with Rockstar doing it....not so much.
  • Algonquin Assassin and BurnettVice like this

StormBreaker
  • StormBreaker

Rockstar Hater

• Members
  • India

Posted 19 September 2017 - 02:36 AM Edited by StormBreaker, 19 September 2017 - 11:28 AM.

I like GTA 5, i just don't like it when people say it's the best GTA ever amd start hating all other GTA fans.

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Members
  • Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 19 September 2017 - 02:57 AM

Despite my gripes with single player I'd still play it over GTAO. To be honest before GTA V was released GTAO sounded awesome on paper as I was hoping it would serve as a companion much like GTA IV's multiplayer did with GTA IV.

But boy was I wrong. I agree though it's not the game's fault. It's more R* shoddy practices and not delivering what they initially promised with regards to the DLC.
  • BurnettVice likes this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 September 2017 - 03:05 AM

I like GTA 5, i just don't like it when people say it's the best GTA ever.

Why?

Why would it bother you if other people think it is the best GTA ever? Not counting the Episodes or the PSP "Stories" games, and even factoring out the PS1 games, there are FIVE games most people would put in the hopper for "Best GTA:" These are III, VC, SA, IV, and V. Why should it offend you that many people think V is the best of the lot?

In many ways, I believe it is. I mean, not grading on a curve (as I stated above) I believe V is the best GTA game in the history of the franchise.
  • Algonquin Assassin likes this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Members
  • Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 19 September 2017 - 06:44 AM

I like GTA 5, i just don't like it when people say it's the best GTA ever.

Why?Why would it bother you if other people think it is the best GTA ever? Not counting the Episodes or the PSP "Stories" games, and even factoring out the PS1 games, there are FIVE games most people would put in the hopper for "Best GTA:" These are III, VC, SA, IV, and V. Why should it offend you that many people think V is the best of the lot?In many ways, I believe it is. I mean, not grading on a curve (as I stated above) I believe V is the best GTA game in the history of the franchise.

It does indeed seem to be a bit fickle to get bothered by people who regard it as the best GTA. I'm not a fan of San Andreas for instance, but I get why it's the best GTA for so many. Just isn't for me.

Maybe I'm just getting more wise with age, but I find it hard to be bothered what's subjective to begin with.
  • Official General likes this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:37 AM Edited by ChiroVette, 19 September 2017 - 10:37 AM.

It does indeed seem to be a bit fickle to get bothered by people who regard it as the best GTA. I'm not a fan of San Andreas for instance, but I get why it's the best GTA for so many. Just isn't for me.

Maybe I'm just getting more wise with age, but I find it hard to be bothered what's subjective to begin with.

Exactly. It is, of course, purely subjective!

That is what so many people who spend such an inordinate amount of time in this form hating on V don't seem to grasp. You know why I stopped posting in IV forums after a couple of months of the game launching, once I realized that the game wasn't for me?

It wasn't just because I had moved on. It was also because I was very well aware that my complaints about IV had more to do with my own tastes and what I, personally, want from a GTA game than anything objective or empirical. Meaning, the things I hated or disliked about the game were the very same things that many people loved about it. People who shared my opinions back then were not right in the face of all of them being wrong, nor the other way around.

That is what is missing from the commentary of many of the people in this forum who simply have a blind, intractable hatred of V, or who can "barely tolerate it." Not that their opinions and tastes are wrong, but that they rail against the game without any sort of humility or acceptance that their opinions are just that, their opinions.

• Algonquin Assassin likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users