• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic
Mysterdogg
  • Mysterdogg

Dig it!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:48 PM

hello people, I was recently viewing the list of member of our GTA Forums community and something that really sparked my interest was a big number of inactive accounts with no even posts. So as far as this is the "Site Suggestions" section I would like to suggest the delete of those accounts, primarily because I think is not right to say we are a more than 700 thousand members community if a big part are inactive accounts, not a contributive part of the forums; and secondly because what if a new member wants to use an already existent name taken by an inactive account? that new member is forced to play with numbers and letters to have the wanted name, so at the end, we have a lot of new users with the same, virtually talking, name.

I could go deeper on this but before that, I would like to know what you guys think, maybe we can get something from all this.

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• United-Kingdom
  • Best Ledby 2017
    Best Poster in Gaming 2017
    Best Topic 2017 [Microtransactions]
    Most Helpful Member 2017
    Most Helpful GTA Member 2017
    Campaign Poster Winner 2017
    Best Certified Crew 2017 [The Daily Globe]
    Next DLC Thread Page 4000 Winner
    Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner
    Best Ledby 2016
    Most Helpful 2016
    Quotable Notable Post of the Year 2016 ["sup"]
    Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:06 PM

Plenty of people create accounts just to to lurk with member features, liking posts and voting in polls - there's no requirement to post. As for usernames, if someone wants a username of an old inactive account, a mod can just change the account's name to free it up for someone else.
  • HalfOfAKebab likes this

Mysterdogg
  • Mysterdogg

Dig it!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:50 PM

Plenty of people create accounts just to to lurk with member features, liking posts and voting in polls - there's no requirement to post. As for usernames, if someone wants a username of an old inactive account, a mod can just change the account's name to free it up for someone else.

I was thinking about that too, as I've seen people that just create an account for voting or similar stuff, and not only here, also on some others web pages, so that makes me say "why we don't have the option of deleting or deactivating our accounts?" "Why we have to get in contact with a moderator or administrator for doing that?" Most of the new users don't know how to contact them but obviously, the fault is by themselves because they just sign in without reading the terms & conditions and the "beginner" guides (forum rules).

One possible solution could be the option of voting as Anonymous, Guest or with external accounts, without the need of creating an account.

• Neptune Homme

• None
  • Best Writer 2011
    Time Traveller Of The Year 1984

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:54 AM

It's a tricky one. When it boils down to it, everybody has a right to register and come back years from now to make a single post and then disappear again. That one post could wind up contributing more than an entire post history by somebody who cares more about quantity than quality. It isn't fair to assume that somebody should have their account deleted/rebranded just because they registered in 2009 and hasn't posted since sharing a GTA IV swing set glitch. Registering an account gives people the option to return if they want to. If it's the forum stats you're concerned about, yeah they're interesting to look at but ultimately they don't reflect much on day to day browsing.

uNi
  • uNi

Feroci

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Official Gang 2014 [Feroci]

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:31 AM

We don't delete accounts. Any taken names being used by an inactive account can be taken over, just contact an admin.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users