I suck at bombing! Tips?

31 replies to this topic
Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted A week ago

I love flying the Starling around, but all of my kills have been with the missiles. I really suck at bombing. I often end up hitting the wrong street entirely. I've never hit anybody with them. I notice I won't crash with the bombing camera activated, but then I can't turn, and end up missing with the bombs anyway. Maybe I'm just overthinking my bombing runs. Any tips on dropping bombs effectively, or am I just hopelessly unable to use a seemingly easy weapon?

HonorableMan
  • HonorableMan

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

I can't really offer too many tips for the Starling- haven't flown it that much. I've found that with the Rogue dive-bombing is probably your best bet if you're going after single targets. Also, release earlier than you think you should, especially with the carpet bombs. Probably the best tip is to fly real low. I've also never found the bombing camera helpful at all. By the time you see your target you're already too close and you'll overshoot with the bombs.

• Gaffa™, Cutter De Blanc, IamCourtney and 1 other like this

Jammsbro
  • Jammsbro

Pogo 4 life

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted A week ago

Thr trick is easy to learn.

Go slow, go low and bomb much, much earlier than you think you need to.

Remember, you not only have a delay between pressing the bomb drop and the actual drop, but you also have a falling distance with the bombs travelling forward as they fall. Once you get your eye in you can start bombing and turning onto second targets mid run. Doing things like the airplane graveyard get really easy once you get some practise.

• Gaffa™, Cutter De Blanc, HARBUJAHN and 2 others like this

namelss123456799
  • namelss123456799

Juggalo

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

dont use the heli or plane they want u to use when it comes to bombing, i either use my hydra or buzzard, mainly buzzard

• PNutterSammich likes this

Rewdalf
  • Rewdalf

Can't tell if I'm being sarcastic or not? I probably am.

• Facade Corporation
  • Bulgaria

Posted A week ago

Start with bombing stationary landmarks to get your bearings.

Pick something easy to see and easy to hit, like the lifeguard huts on the beach.

Once you get good enough at hitting those, move on to moving targets.

Isolate a traffic car and try to hit it; repeat.

Keep practicing, and after time you can start bombing players.

If that's your thing...

• Cutter De Blanc, Skeve613, Goingcrowd9 and 1 other like this

z06z33
  • z06z33

Street Cat

• Members

Posted A week ago

I started by bombing my yacht like just hitting the damn thing,then as I got good at that I started bombing the helicopter on the deck of the yacht aiming at it with only one bomb then finally as I got good aiming for individual boats behind it. Now I'm on to moving NPC cars on the highways

• elfoam likes this

The Sole Survivor
  • The Sole Survivor

of vault 111

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted A week ago

use the rogue

Jammsbro
  • Jammsbro

Pogo 4 life

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted A week ago

One other thing. Line your target up and come in long. Don't try to turn tight and come back in a hard arc.

Fly right out, turn and get a straight line on your target as you fly in low. This will help give you loads of time to get your line correct.

• Cutter De Blanc, Gridl0k, sleepwalk1980 and 1 other like this

HARBUJAHN
  • HARBUJAHN

FREEROAM PREDATOR RANK:529__K/D:16.86 GTAF_CREW

• Members
  • England

Posted A week ago

Which plane is better for bombing free roam? Ive barely flown the new ones and stuck with the old tools so i probably suck as well lol

Jammsbro
  • Jammsbro

Pogo 4 life

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted A week ago

Which plane is better for bombing free roam? Ive barely flown the new ones and stuck with the old tools so i probably suck as well lol

You can't go wrong with the cuban if you are learning.

But the glider and rogue have better defensive maneuverability

The Sole Survivor
  • The Sole Survivor

of vault 111

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted A week ago

You can't go wrong with the cuban if you are learning.

But the glider and rogue have better defensive maneuverability
the cuban is sh*t in every way

there's no point learning to bomb with a plane that doesn't have flares

elfoam
  • elfoam

OG

• Members
  • Australia

Posted A week ago

I've found dive bombing directly from above using the missiles with the Mig is the best way to bomb lol, fire off some flares as you level out.

• Gridl0k likes this

Xiled
  • Xiled

The Truth

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

Here is a god tip :D

• Gridl0k, Jammsbro, Piro and 1 other like this

pooprope
  • pooprope

Player Hater

• Members
  • Australia

Posted A week ago

I started to get kills when I switched from cluster to explosive bombs. Even when cluster bombs hit, chances are they don't do squat. Wasted 600k on those broken things
  • Cutter De Blanc likes this

Gridl0k
  • Gridl0k

Egg schmegg

• GTAF Crew
  • US-Virgin-Islands

Posted A week ago Edited by Gridl0k, A week ago.

Yes, fit standard bombs.

Use contact missions like Judging The Jury or Hit Em Up as practice.

At around 150-200ft, release the bombs (carpet at first) just as, or slightly before, the bomb day doors pass over the target, from your POV; IE from the camera (assuming using far-chase) to the bomb bay doors to the target is a straight line. A crude bombsight.

f*ck the bomb cam, useless unless you're VTOL bombing from Tula as it has no reticules on it. Good autopilot for long flights though :D

The Rogue is a great all-rounder but I can't stay out of my Starling.

• Goingcrowd9 and pooprope like this

StangOne50
  • StangOne50

BEASTMODE

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

Havent really messed with the bombs myself but I would say its all a matter of timing. I would practice by choosing an area to bomb then figure out the timing of when you need to release bombs to hit that area at full speed. Once you are successful you can start making adjustments for speed,altitude etc.

Pedinhuh
  • Pedinhuh

Get down on it!

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted A week ago

Best and quickest way to practice is by doing Headhunter out in the Blaine County, you can start it on Fort Zancudo and usually, there will be a stationary target sitting outside by the water tanks of the base, good place to practice it.

Here are some more tips:

-The slower you are, the most likely to hit a stationary target;

-don't try to bomb anyone at a altitude higher than 100ft, I recommend 50ft;

-If you need a point of reference for dropping the bombs, assuming that you're flying relatively slow and at 50ft, I suggest to switch to third person view and WAIT UNTIL your view of the target has been obstructed by the nose of the aircraft, press X as soon that happens and you're very likely to score a kill;

-You MUST have flares ready to be dispatched in case you need to avoid homing rockets, which is a good reason to not go on a bombing run with a Cuban 800, no flares and it can't out maneuver a missile;

-Armor upgrade is also a must if you're taking on players, because while you line up you airplane to bomb, you are vulnerable to HE sniper shots;
  • Cutter De Blanc and Amy Vinewood like this

IdRatherBeFlying
  • IdRatherBeFlying

Square Civilian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

- Make sure you are NOT using cluster bombs.  They are bugged and despite the impressive sounds/feedback they do no damage.    I use regular explostion bombs.

- Don't use the bomb camera view.   No matter what your altitude the thing you hit will not be in your field of view when you release.  Use the widest angle thrid person view

- Go low and slow.   This gives you the best chance to see their character right before you release.   You want to be as low as possible without hitting trees/light poles.    Adjust your release time for altitude and speed but the closer and slower you are the easier it will be.

- Use the mini map in it's small version during the final approach and use the horizontal tick marks to line up your approach to their icon.

_47_
  • _47_

Fighter Pilot

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

Dive Bomb like you would be using a Hydra and as you are dive bombing, half way down drop the payload of bombs and pull up. It takes some getting used to but it works the same way as the Hydra with dive bombing. 

Also a good tip is look at how WW2 pilots use dive bombing on warships and trains. Very Effective and it works the same way in GTAO.

• Gridl0k likes this

Pedinhuh
  • Pedinhuh

Get down on it!

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted A week ago

Dive Bomb like you would be using a Hydra and as you are dive bombing, half way down drop the payload of bombs and pull up. It takes some getting used to but it works the same way as the Hydra with dive bombing. 

Also a good tip is look at how WW2 pilots use dive bombing on warships and trains. Very Effective and it works the same way in GTAO.

No, it doesn't work like how WW2 dive bombers and jet dive bombing works, as you can't drop bombs in angle steeper than like 30°.

But if you're willing to try this technique, you need to dive bomb a couple of meters away, as your aircraft will only drop the bombs when you reach the "U" part of the dive.

I find it very inaccurate to be fair, we should be able to dive bomb like jets does, it makes no sense why we can't.

_47_
  • _47_

Fighter Pilot

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

• Schumy7 likes this

PNutterSammich
  • PNutterSammich

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

dont use the heli or plane they want u to use when it comes to bombing, i either use my hydra or buzzard, mainly buzzard

This. So much this.

Never EVER use the supplied vehicle if you can help it. Just turn around and re-enter the hangar and grab your Buzzard, Savage or Hydra. The mission payouts are sh*t enough as is, so the faster you get that over and done with, the better your profit per hour will be. 

The aircraft provided are there simply as a reason to introduce them and artificially extend the amount of time needed to complete the missions/increase difficulty.

Use the tools you already have, you`ll be better for it.

• GTP_Monkey likes this

pooprope
  • pooprope

Player Hater

• Members
  • Australia

Posted A week ago

This. So much this.

Never EVER use the supplied vehicle if you can help it. Just turn around and re-enter the hangar and grab your Buzzard, Savage or Hydra. The mission payouts are sh*t enough as is, so the faster you get that over and done with, the better your profit per hour will be. 

The aircraft provided are there simply as a reason to introduce them and artificially extend the amount of time needed to complete the missions/increase difficulty.

Use the tools you already have, you`ll be better for it.
Except for the nokota missions
  • Gridl0k likes this

delorianlazarus
  • delorianlazarus

Trick

• Members
  • France

Posted A week ago Edited by delorianlazarus, A week ago.

Interesting techniques out there, will practice with the Rogue.

Regarding bombing, is it efficient against players? Going low and slow is death penalty for the plane usually, no?

HonorableMan
  • HonorableMan

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

Not in a Rogue. With armor, you might take a couple hits, but the absolute worst that happens is you come away smoking. Unless of course you're up against Gunrunning vehicles- Half-Tracks will tear you up, so stay away from them, and APCs with rockets will wipe you from existence. Aside from that you should be good, and generally even with heavy damage you can manage to get a Rogue back to the hangar.

Schumy7
  • Schumy7

Social Club number 1 World Rankings.

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted A week ago

https://youtu.be/TIGPl28Stbg

This is how it suppose to be.
Dive bombing.
  • Gridl0k and _47_ like this

sleepwalk1980
  • sleepwalk1980

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • England

Posted 6 days ago

One other thing. Line your target up and come in long. Don't try to turn tight and come back in a hard arc.

Fly right out, turn and get a straight line on your target as you fly in low. This will help give you loads of time to get your line correct.

This.

Give yourself time and space. Don't rush it.

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 6 days ago Edited by Cutter De Blanc, 6 days ago.

Thanks for the tips, I'm slowly getting better, I can hit the building I'm aiming for about 70% of the time. I freak out flying so low while focusing on something else though; the Starling likes to dip it's nose down and then needs a boost so I don't crash into a roof, which throws off my aim and timing for the bombs.

One of the things about the bombing camera is that I don't have to control my altitude when it's active (the plane seems to literally abandon it's normal physics), but it's true, I can't hit a damn thing like that, always overshoot with the camera active. Six of one, half a dozen of another.

• Amy Vinewood likes this

Happy Hunter
  • Happy Hunter

Huntèr civil rights activist

• Members
  • None
  • Governor of San Andreas 2017
    Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 5 days ago

Never EVER use the supplied vehicle if you can help it.

Except for the nokota missions

And the glorious Hunter.

Oh, and OP, don't feel bad. I suck a bit at bombing right now too, but can do everything else well.

Just need to get the hang of it.

gtafan26
  • gtafan26

Burnt Spy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 5 days ago

Finally got a bombing run source mission few days back, and oh god, I could not hit anything, so I ended up crashing the damn plane, and called in my APC to get blow all the targets up :lol:

• Happy Hunter likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users