Quantcast

» «
Photo

Has Grand Theft Auto Online jumped the shark?

315 replies to this topic
Semaj 2JZ♢
  • Semaj 2JZ♢

Switch up my style. I take any lane.

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

Isn't jumping the shark doing something absolutely outrageous in order to try keep something relevant?

In essence, yes. However, as a couple others pointed out, the OP could be referencing an episode of a show called Happy Days where they had the Fonz jump over a shark on waterskis. However, it played out very poorly and ultimately led to the shows end.
  • EkaSwede likes this

Tokasmoka
  • Tokasmoka

Trick

• Members
  • Canada

Posted A week ago

If majority that plays this game enjoys these WWIII updates then the answer is no.  For me these last two updates have been horrific and totally killed my interest in the game, but that's just me :lol:

• gtafan26 likes this

dorcy
  • dorcy

"Alright, let's get straight to the biscuits."

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted A week ago

Isn't jumping the shark doing something absolutely outrageous in order to try keep something relevant?

In essence, yes. However, as a couple others pointed out, the OP could be referencing an episode of a show called Happy Days where they had the Fonz jump over a shark on waterskis. However, it played out very poorly and ultimately led to the shows end.

that incident in the show is where the phrase originated from.

• gtafan26 likes this

PSNGTAforumuser
  • PSNGTAforumuser

Derrrr

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

Anyone who's been in a public lobby knows how nigh-impossible it can be to get things done

yeah, ok bud

delorianlazarus
  • delorianlazarus

Trick

• Members
  • France

Posted A week ago

That shark scene is not much worse than everything else in this show, let's be honest.

Regarding GTA O, shark jumping or not, there will still be people playing. Oppressor is one more example of something that arrived, stayed for a while, and is already about to disappear.
And you can still play on your own if you are pissed by public lobbies or keep with what you have instead of going for all the new stuff.

So the metaphor isn't that great.
And that show was awful.

Remapped
  • Remapped

i hate post op vans

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted A week ago Edited by Remapped, A week ago.

Yea kinda almost. I pretty much log in for for crew meets at the weekend now, have slowed down the gta grind.

Ended up getting forza horizon 3 after gunrunning it's now my go to Grind game. It's more rewarding and event weeks gives you limited edition horizon cars. In fact each time you level up you get credits or given a nice car.
  • hei3enberg likes this

Cheesy_wotsit
  • Cheesy_wotsit

Rat

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted A week ago

Not so much jumped the Shark but as a long time racer the game opted to get pissed and throw up in my kettle with the release of Cunning Stunts, in one fail swoop it's as if proper racing suddenly disappeared over night. The races themselves were so massively out of character with the games style, big stupid jumps, neon coloured wall ride pipes, idiotic speed boosters it was like racing through Vegas on acid. However the point were the game truly went out got arse faced came home and then preceded to sh*t the bed before before again throwing up in my kettle (cause it was so much fun the first time) was with the 2nd Cunning Stunts release, not withstanding the fact that the circuits were markedly worse in every single respect it is also the DLC that either introduced or finally highlighted how broken the catch up system showing a bug that literally made it impossible to complete certain jumps under certain circumstances, i.e f*cking leading the race, it also finally proved, to me at least, once and for all that Rcokstar either do not balance, do not play test or simply do not care about the quality of the content they release.

• Jimbatron, R3CON, Xiled and 2 others like this

We Are Ninja
  • We Are Ninja

Supposed Contrarian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago Edited by We Are Ninja, A week ago.

FAFF was the pinnacle of the game's DLC. Gunrunning single-handedly killed my previously unshakable enthusiasm. Between the ridiculous paywalls, the COD/Battlefield vehicles, and being forced to pay victory fees for standing your ground and defeating your armed, armored opponent in the form of insurance, I can't be bothered anymore. I get on to play with friends, but I'm done with the grind.
  • R3CON, -LN-, Parth13 and 2 others like this

flexcreator
  • flexcreator

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Russia

Posted A week ago

Can you really call it huge when a large portion of the content was held back to artificially extend the life of said update, though?

That, to me, screams desperation to keep player numbers up.

Yes, you can call it huge as is. You may not like the content and how it benefits R*, but the huge work was done. Even if you cut away all the locked vehicles, adding a new mechanics to the game is a big deal.

It's a standart model to release content for R*. They are using since 2016, if i'm not mistaken. It's a better way to release content in technical terms, because you can test everythng in a bulk and continue to work on the next DLC. It's a clever model, it makes the process simple and more robust.

Generally, it's nothing wrong with locking the content. The only problem I see is how R* are misusing this model to sell sharkcards. Like releasing a top supercar and releasing even a faster vehicle a week later.

New players keep joining the game. I saw a lot of 20-lvls during last few months. I don't think R* are desperate. 

• TheKingChivas, ragedandcaged and JustCallMeNiko like this

MisFit-138
  • MisFit-138

Thug

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago Edited by MisFit-138, A week ago.

Jumping the shark is a null phrase when something is thriving.
  • TheKingChivas and ragedandcaged like this

clinical oppression
  • clinical oppression

Player Hater

• Members
  • Canada

Posted A week ago

jumping the shark on an oppressor FTW
  • zombieRAGE, MisFit-138 and ragedandcaged like this

GenericGTAO
  • GenericGTAO

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

We are all ("most") still playing, so no. I bump into new players all the time and I see less griefers on. So, it would appear R* is giving players what they are asking for as long as it involves the ability to sell shark cards. Its seems like the only way this game will be killed is no more updates for 6 months or a better open world game which doesnt seem to be on horizon. The amount of cars, crime, griefing, sillyness is not really matched as far as I know. Other games may do speific things better, but hardly any do them all espcially with multiplayer.
  • MisFit-138 likes this

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

GTA Online hasn't jumped the shark, it jumped the whole f*cking ocean.

Seriously, to everyone using the 'GTAO is as popular as ever and many people still play' excuse, bitch please. Rockstar has indeed harvested a new fanbase of casual gamers and younger players but these won't replace the loyal fans on the long term. Casual gamers are, well, casual. They'll have fun with a game for a few weeks, perhaps even months but eventually they'll grow tired and move on to something else.

They surely won't pop GTA IV, San Andreas or even III back in and have as much fun as in 01'. Rockstar is sacrificing long term success for short term gain. So focused on turning GTA Online into a cash cow that they handicapped it to the point where it's no longer fun, and honestly, no longer a f*ckin' game. 

GTA Online : 60$ free to play game with 1,000$ DLCs with built-in microtransactions. Pop the champagne everyone!

• Jimbatron, Ya Boy Punk Fan, R3CON and 3 others like this

GTOSH40
  • GTOSH40

Player Hater

• Members

Posted A week ago

Yea kinda almost. I pretty much log in for for crew meets at the weekend now, have slowed down the gta grind.

Ended up getting forza horizon 3 after gunrunning it's now my go to Grind game. It's more rewarding and event weeks gives you limited edition horizon cars. In fact each time you level up you get credits or given a nice car.

I was going to mention Forza Horizon 3 as well, what a great game. I got it about a month ago and don;t play GTA much anymore. I don't know why R or any developer would make a game that's not playable. i am supposed to get randoms to make me enough money to buy a 5mill hanger and then some or all of the aircraft and a super car, and then another super car. Each random wants to make the 30mill needed to buy the latest G/R items, not happening. R expects every player to personally know someone to play with, i don't know anyone who plays and a lot of other players don't either.

• Remapped and Nossirag like this

RollsReus1959
  • RollsReus1959

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted A week ago

I think people should state how long they have been playing this game.  This forum is filled with veterans who remember the billionaire days and when a mechanic actually delivered your car.  I love this game and I think its the greatest game of all time but I am slowly getting tired of all the DLC's that involve a money making business.

I have played this game for quite some time now and I have seen friends come and go.  Stopped playing.

The game may be popular but it's geared towards new players.

I think we can accurately assess the game if we knew how long everyone has been playing.

• Nossirag and Voodoo-Hendrix like this

Voodoo-Hendrix
  • Voodoo-Hendrix

Slight Return

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted A week ago

I think people should state how long they have been playing this game.  This forum is filled with veterans who remember the billionaire days and when a mechanic actually delivered your car.  I love this game and I think its the greatest game of all time but I am slowly getting tired of all the DLC's that involve a money making business.

I have played this game for quite some time now and I have seen friends come and go.  Stopped playing.

I think we can accurately assess the game if we knew how long everyone has been playing.

I like your idea. Here's my info.

I started playing almost a year before (09/16/2016), circa the Cunning Stunts update.

I have 69 days ( ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ) of playtime.

I'm currently level 471 and I have 16 million of global RP.

My overall income is $367 million, from which $95 million were from duping once. Currently I only have almost 8 million because I'm a bad spender lol.

Hope that helps somehow.

RollsReus1959
  • RollsReus1959

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted A week ago Edited by RollsReus1959, A week ago.

I started playing almost a year before (09/16/2016), circa the Cunning Stunts update.

My overall income is $367 million, from which $95 million were from duping once. Currently I only have almost 8 million because I'm a bad spender lol.

Hope that helps somehow.

Do you like the game? Still fun?

Cunning Stunts player is fairly recent. 

I played for a long time now and stopped.  Picked it back up during Lowriders DLC....from Lowriders up to now....I think GR and Smuggling are very bad DLC's as someone that played the game and witnessed its progression.

Nick1020
  • Nick1020

Furry and Proud. Maybe

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

It only jump the shark with some older fans. Tons of people still play the game. However, the military weaponized vehicles are getting obnoxious.

GTA will last as long as Rockstar or Take Two wants it to. A new location like North Yankton or Liberty City will bring people by the truck loads.
  • MisFit-138 likes this

ragedandcaged
  • ragedandcaged

CHECK YO SELF

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

Been playing since day 1.  About 225 days played.  I find the oppressor to be a wonky addition but I enjoy the ability of it to help me escape ambushes and jets.  I have had friends come and go as well but I constantly make new ones.  I regularly have between 30-50 friends online especially in the evenings when I play most.  I don't get the oppressor but it less of an annoyance to me than jets/cops.  I always have buddies online to help me out and if an unintelligent asshole like me can make friends than anyone can.

john-candy-asshole.gif?w=650&h=251

• TheKingChivas and Nossirag like this

Cheesy_wotsit
  • Cheesy_wotsit

Rat

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted A week ago

Seriously, to everyone using the 'GTAO is as popular as ever and many people still play' excuse, bitch please. Rockstar has indeed harvested a new fanbase of casual gamers and younger players but these won't replace the loyal fans on the long term. Casual gamers are, well, casual. They'll have fun with a game for a few weeks, perhaps even months but eventually they'll grow tired and move on to something else.

They surely won't pop GTA IV, San Andreas or even III back in and have as much fun as in 01'. Rockstar is sacrificing long term success for short term gain. So focused on turning GTA Online into a cash cow that they handicapped it to the point where it's no longer fun, and honestly, no longer a f*ckin' game. 

GTA Online : 60$ free to play game with 1,000$ DLCs with built-in microtransactions. Pop the champagne everyone!

The only issue is that their will always be casual gamers, the main thing is being in the right place at the right time with the right game / content that grabs them long enough that they want as much of the content as you can offer but not holding them long enough that they are willing to grind to get the content, i.e no longer casual but in it for the long haul. Just now GTAO has that and is doing just enough to keep the casual rate constantly refreshed, at least judging by the Top Ten sales each month on Steam.

The side effect of this is the long term fans, that's me by the way, owned EVERY MAJOR GTA released from the day they were released and would have defended Rcokstar to the hilt, not anymore. They have lost any all intrest from me. I might buy the next GTA, but it will be a heavy Steam sale number but otherwise Rcokstar have all but lost any business from this once long term fan. The thing is I don't be grudge them making hay while the sun shines (if they aren't going out of their way to f*ck their players over, which it seems even that scummy tactic isn;t beyond Rcokstar now) but they have certainly pissed away almost every single bit of good will they ever had with quite a lot of the long term fanbase and it's the long term fans that will come back time and time again, it's the long term fans that will be there to help the company when they hit the difficult times, casuals don't do that. They pad your pockets when things are going well for you but when the sh*t hits the fans they will scatter to the next big shiny crome coloured thing that will hold their interest and then what? Your long terms are giving you the finger the way you spent the last 2 years giving them the finger and the casuals are too busy playing fuel thrower baby lawnmower killer 5... what then?

• ThroatSlasher2 and Nossirag like this

-LN-
  • -LN-

Acquired Taste

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago Edited by -LN-, A week ago.

I think people should state how long they have been playing this game.  

I've been playing the online segment of the game since January of 2014. So, I didn't experience the billionaire days, but I do remember countless nights of full lobby, non-gimmicky deathmatches, proper races, and the lack of armed vehicles and militaryesque nonsense. I managed to find a great group of people to game with and cemented a number of lasting friendships. However, the game has moved far away from what I once enjoyed; I truly despise the unrealistic additions as the sense of realism in previous GTA titles are what had always drawn me to the GTA series in the first place. Add to that the paywall content, the game modes I love being neglected or broken, and the overly expensive content that almost forces players to adopt a grind or do nothing mentality and you can clearly see my reasoning for being burnt out and not enjoying the current direction or feel of the game.

• Commander S, JSwartz0181, dieseltech20 and 1 other like this

Xiled
  • Xiled

The Truth

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

Funny part is that you can get GTA San Andreas for $15 on PS4 and upon starting the game you can spawn in a Hydra and a hunter. Or you can play through to Las venturas get the hydra, hunter, and rustler by simply playing the game for free. If you really wanna use those vehicles it is literally cheaper to buy GTA San Andreas and fly them compared having to either grind for money or buy money for them. You can fight enemy hydras when you get 4 stars and take them down with the hunter, Hydra, and the rustler. If you get a missile shot at you, you get damaged but you can still continue to fly for a long time. Your ailerons can get broken and will affect your flying ability.
  • Nossirag likes this

CUTS3R
  • CUTS3R

Nah im good.

• Members
  • France
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner

Posted A week ago

I've been playing the online segment of the game since January of 2014. So, I didn't experience the billionaire days, but I do remember countless nights of full lobby, non-gimmicky deathmatches, proper races, and the lack of armed vehicles and militaryesque nonsense. I managed to find a great group of people to game with and cemented a number of lasting friendships. However, the game has moved far away from what I once enjoyed; I truly despise the unrealistic additions as the sense of realism in previous GTA titles are what had always drawn me to the GTA series in the first place. Add to that the paywall content, the game modes I love being neglected or broken, and the overly expensive content that almost forces players to adopt a grind or do nothing mentality and you can clearly see my reasoning for being burnt out and not enjoying the current direction or feel of the game.

Word for word my experience and feelings about GTAO.

• Commander S, Ya Boy Punk Fan and -LN- like this

GrungeNinja
  • GrungeNinja

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted A week ago

GTA:O would be very different if there were dedicated servers, no easy acess to heavy guns (bazoocas and the like), military vehicles, no magic spawn vehicles, in other words, the old and good GTA we (25+ age ppl) used to know and play. A game based on street criminals, not a battlefield hybrid.

So yes, GTA:O will be going downhill this way based on a kids style game.

• gtafan26, jerryinohio78 and Jamwes like this

gtafan26
  • gtafan26

Burnt Spy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

Well, I am day one player, but didnt actually start playing till a month later give or take, with the bugs at a launch, I created my character , but was not able to complete the race.

ragedandcaged
  • ragedandcaged

CHECK YO SELF

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

GTA:O would be very different if there were dedicated servers, no easy acess to heavy guns (bazoocas and the like), military vehicles, no magic spawn vehicles, in other words, the old and good GTA we (25+ age ppl) used to know and play. A game based on street criminals, not a battlefield hybrid.

So only children like GTAO the way it is now?

Adults cannot like it in the current format?
  • TheKingChivas, MisFit-138, dieseltech20 and 1 other like this

Happy Hunter
  • Happy Hunter

Huntèr civil rights activist

• Members
  • None
  • Governor of San Andreas 2017
    Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted A week ago

no easy acess to heavy guns (bazoocas and the like), military vehicles

That's a massive thumbs down from me.

There's always been rocket launchers, and military vehicles. I will never give mine up.

GTA's classic vehicles and weapons shouldn't die just so that cargo work can be awkwardly crammed into public sessions where they're not really ideal anyway.

• Mattoropael, TheKingChivas and Nossirag like this

GenericGTAO
  • GenericGTAO

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

This game is clearly built with the intent to bilk younger players for the benefit of players such as yourself. The main reason prices are out of control is rampant cheating.

I am sorry but I tried to replay GTA 4. Its utter garabge compared to 5. I think I made it to other island before I quit. It literally has no sentinmental value to me. The story was lame. RDR on the other hand played it all the way through. The character movement is what I think does it for me. Niko moves so akwardly after playing 5.

Voodoo-Hendrix
  • Voodoo-Hendrix

Slight Return

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted A week ago

Hope that helps somehow.

Do you like the game? Still fun?

Cunning Stunts player is fairly recent. 

I played for a long time now and stopped.  Picked it back up during Lowriders DLC....from Lowriders up to now....I think GR and Smuggling are very bad DLC's as someone that played the game and witnessed its progression.

Kinda, I still like the game, but I feel burned out from it, so I rarely play it, I didn't played all the previous week until now, just to buy the Rapid GT Classic.

I actually liked Cunning Stunts and Stunt Racing in general, I consider it more fun than normal racing. I just wish that Stunt Races and Races were fully separated.

I agree about both Gunrunning and Smugglers Run being bad updates, Gunrunning even more with the Oppressor and the explosive rounds that make more harm than good. Also the paywalls.

I don't mind vehicles like the Ruiner 2000 and the Oppressor being in the game, GTA always had its faif share of wackyness, I just don't like how overpowered some of these kind of vehicles are.

If R* actually got their sh*t together, balanced the game (or at least tried to) and buffed associate/prospect payouts, I would be happy.

HamwithCheese
  • HamwithCheese

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

So only children like GTAO the way it is now?

Adults cannot like it in the current format?

You've literally said otherwise.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users