Quantcast

» «
Photo

Has Grand Theft Auto Online jumped the shark?

315 replies to this topic
elfoam
  • elfoam

OG

• Members
  • Australia

Posted A week ago

For legit players yes, it's gone too far. For the true criminals the game is still playable. 

• zombieRAGE and MisFit-138 like this

Biter
  • Biter

MC President

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted A week ago

Game seems to be getting more popular, not less.

Low point of GTA V Online is the Oppressor flying bike imo. A griefers delight and totally ruins any realism or immersing experience in the game. But that's just my opinion.

Despite wishing the game had no military vehicles, I think Smugglers Run is full of fun content and has not spoilt the game further, only added to it.
  • Milesinho likes this

Sanches
  • Sanches

Rider boi

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

Judging by the statistics GTA O is on it's peak. And not coming down.

• MisFit-138, Matrelith, J-Scott-D and 1 other like this

gizmonomono
  • gizmonomono

What ifs are a waste of time

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted A week ago

Low point of GTA V Online is the Oppressor flying bike imo. A griefers delight and totally ruins any realism or immersing experience in the game. But that's just my opinion.

Despite wishing the game had no military vehicles, I think Smugglers Run is full of fun content and has not spoilt the game further, only added to it.

It's the most fun vehicle to drive in Gta. Also, realism? Up to the Oppressor we already had cars that jump with unlimited parachutes and let's not mention the Rocket Voltic.

As for griefing, you wish military vehicles were not in the game, but you approve jets?

Gta has a Huge fan base, and there is absolutely no way they can please everyone. You can say it's too far from what GTA is. But what is GTA to you? To me GTA is a single player experience. And as such is great. The online portion of it is opened for more creativity. AS we near RDR 2 and GTA 6 I see no reason why they shouldn't experiment a little.

Back to the Oppressor, it's just a bike with rockets. It can't get high enough to be a threat to an aircraft, and when you're not in a car I see no advantage in it whatsoever. The only thing i have a problem with is insurance. But that's a whole other bag of problems.

• MisFit-138 and Nossirag like this

jwdrinkwaterjr
  • jwdrinkwaterjr

Street Cat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

No. If anything the game is more successful than ever.

Matrelith
  • Matrelith

Inveniam viam aut faciam

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted A week ago

Not for me, no. I'm still having a good time whenever I play it. 

• gizmonomono likes this

Milesinho
  • Milesinho

Playa

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted A week ago Edited by Milesinho, A week ago.

The game is still hugely fun, unique and addictive in spite of the many balancing issues. Have to agree about the Oppressor being a particularly rubbish addition. It looks so stupid and retarded to see bikes flying through the air. If Rockstar feels the need to include these sort of things, they should be limited to specific game modes and private sessions rather than being allowed to stink up free roam. The same goes for fighter jets and weaponised military vehicles IMO. 

• Biter likes this

UKPortista
  • UKPortista

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted A week ago

GTAO bolted from the stable a long time ago and trying to reign it in now would be folly. I just hope R* dials it back and shows a little more restaint with GTA6 / GTAO2.
  • Milesinho, Hate The Game, Ya Boy Punk Fan and 1 other like this

AUScowboy
  • AUScowboy

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

Nah, it's doing just fine. Usual gripe still apply of course, but it's late in the game now. I'm content to keep getting theme DLCs until RDR2 or a IV remaster drops. Only thing that may take time away from GTAO between now and then for me is LA Noire, but that's relatively short and shouldn't take too long to play through. Will probably only buy it if the visual enhancements are noticeable.

FluxAmbulance
  • FluxAmbulance

Square Civilian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

Jumping the shark is not just adding goofy content to a series. If the series continues to be popular despite such additions, then it is not jumping the shark. There needs to be a steep decline in popularity.

In the case of GTA Online, the game is still popular (if not, more popular) even though we've had so many goofy vehicles added. So no, it has not jumped the shark.
  • TheKingChivas likes this

CrysisAverted
  • CrysisAverted

Formerly Sh4d0wX32111

• Members
  • None
  • Most Missed 2016
    [Snapmatic & R* Editor Awards 2015] Best Unedited
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted A week ago

They jumped the shark when after 5 years they still haven't given us a happy days adversary mode where we have to jump a shark
  • JuniorChubb, Forza Harrd, Coninefan and 1 other like this

elfoam
  • elfoam

OG

• Members
  • Australia

Posted A week ago

I find it the most fun thing in the game, I don't even use it as a weapon most of the time. I just love cruising up to my destination and stalling it out and floating like a feather to my landing spot, on point. It's just pretty cool.

-LN-
  • -LN-

Acquired Taste

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago Edited by -LN-, A week ago.

It's not even a matter of whether or not it has jumped the shark; as far as I'm concerned, it's more of a matter of just how many sharks it has actually jumped!

The introduction of the beast ought to have been a red flag; that was the beginning of the ultimate departure from the semi-realistic perspective of the series. Afterwards, you can thank the Cunning Stunts update for destroying racing and all of this other free roam oriented BS for pushing me farther and farther away from my interest in this game. Where do I even start at this point? I mean, do we truly need this many bloody armed vehicles? Do we need to grind every f*cking moment of our game time away doing the same tedious fetch and grab routine in order to even buy a single new car from a DLC? Not to mention the low pay outs and lack of incentives for individuals who are supposed to help defend you while you're dodging Oppressors and Hydras (who are both alerted and instructed to target you) in a Post-OP van in order to make a bit of virtual cash. Jesus, it's just overkill at this point.

I don't hate the game, but I certainly do not enjoy it a fraction as much as I used to enjoy it. These days, it seems to be either grinding or griefing; I don't enjoy either and the ridiculous pricing for items and free roam businesses that we are constantly spammed with the same bloody alerts about via e-mail, text messages, and phone calls immediately upon loading up the game have left a rather sour taste in my mouth. Oh, oh, and why not buy a sharkcard too? How about kindly f*cking off. If I delete one of the spammy alerts once or hang up on Ron, Malc, whomever, it should take the hint that I'm clearly not interested and need not be reminded. I'm fully literate and if I want to buy or do something from the game, I'll do it when I want.

The features that I happen to enjoy from the game have either been severely neglected or heavily changed, often for the worse. Even most of my custom races that I spent hours upon hours making have now been ruined by a bug which will likely never ever be fixed.

This game could honestly be so much more and so much different, but they have steered and continue to steer it into a direction that I do not particularly care about. I also realise that my opinion is obviously biased and apparently many players truly enjoy the things that I may happen to dislike. However, no one can deny that the game has discarded realism almost entirely at this point and has left us with some bastardised rip off Mad Max meets random war game type scenario with far too many clichés and an economy centered around grind, grind, grind your f*cking life away or buy a sharkcard.

So, yes, the game has already jumped plenty of sharks for me personally, but I've just sort of had to look at it from a different angle. I cannot take it seriously and I am not interested in devoting anything more than a very casual effort into it anymore. I can enjoy it with friends and I can sometimes find others who are interested in doing the same things that I still enjoy, but I don't think there is anything that can be done at this point to steer things completely back towards the direction I enjoy most. So, my hopes are high for whatever is released with GTA VI and I still have great memories from playing this one for so long, but I really, really hope they put more of a focus on what GTA should feel like in the next instalment. Of course, all of the cards are stacked against those of us who dislike the new direction of the game; the thirst for more and more money via sharkcards will only lead things down an even more unsavoury path.
  • We Are Ninja, slowburn29, Commander S and 14 others like this

CrysisAverted
  • CrysisAverted

Formerly Sh4d0wX32111

• Members
  • None
  • Most Missed 2016
    [Snapmatic & R* Editor Awards 2015] Best Unedited
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted A week ago Edited by CrysisAverted, A week ago.

1 car after a 2 week wait
pack it up guys, this is the last update and they're dragging it out until society evolves into a one large sentient gas cloud
  • elfoam likes this

ragedandcaged
  • ragedandcaged

CHECK YO SELF

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

pack it up guys, this is the last update and they're dragging it out until society evolves into a one large sentient gas cloud

Who farted?

gizmonomono
  • gizmonomono

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted A week ago

A huge update came out two weeks ago, and you're complaining already?

• TheKingChivas and ragedandcaged like this

Professional Amateur
  • Professional Amateur

Rustled Jimmies

• Members
  • Australia

Posted A week ago

Can you really call it huge when a large portion of the content was held back to artificially extend the life of said update, though?

That, to me, screams desperation to keep player numbers up. Sure, I honestly wouldn't mind the dripfeed if it only held back small things like holiday-themed items but holding back a large portion of the new aircraft along with some of the new cars? That's just taking the mick. 

• V4S, Mattoropael, CrysisAverted and 8 others like this

elfoam
  • elfoam

OG

• Members
  • Australia

Posted A week ago

Well a third of a massive update came out :)

• Ya Boy Punk Fan, TheKingChivas, R3CON and 3 others like this

ragedandcaged
  • ragedandcaged

CHECK YO SELF

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

You're surprised by this?

This is standard fare.
  • gizmonomono and TheKingChivas like this

gizmonomono
  • gizmonomono

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted A week ago

You're surprised by this?

This is standard fare.

I'm not :D

I understand that people don't want to wait for all the vehicles, but there is plenty to keep us busy until then.

UKPortista
  • UKPortista

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted A week ago

It's not even a matter of whether or not it has jumped the shark; as far as I'm concerned, it's more of a matter of just how many sharks it has actually jumped!
The introduction of the beast ought to have been a red flag; that was the beginning of the ultimate departure from the semi-realistic perspective of the series. Afterwards, you can thank the Cunning Stunts update for destroying racing and all of this other free roam oriented BS for pushing me farther and farther away from my interest in this game. Where do I even start at this point? I mean, do we truly need this many bloody armed vehicles? Do we need to grind every f*cking moment of our game time away doing the same tedious fetch and grab routine in order to even buy a single new car from a DLC? Not to mention the low pay outs and lack of incentives for individuals who are supposed to help defend you while you're dodging Oppressors and Hydras (who are both alerted and instructed to target you) in a Post-OP van in order to make a bit of virtual cash. Jesus, it's just overkill at this point.
I don't hate the game, but I certainly do not enjoy it a fraction as much as I used to enjoy it. These days, it seems to be either grinding or griefing; I don't enjoy either and the ridiculous pricing for items and free roam businesses that we are constantly spammed with the same bloody alerts about via e-mail, text messages, and phone calls immediately upon loading up the game have left a rather sour taste in my mouth. Oh, oh, and why not buy a sharkcard too? How about kindly f*cking off. If I delete one of the spammy alerts once or hang up on Ron, Malc, whomever, it should take the hint that I'm clearly not interested and need not be reminded. I'm fully literate and if I want to buy or do something from the game, I'll do it when I want.
The features that I happen to enjoy from the game have either been severely neglected or heavily changed, often for the worse. Even most of my custom races that I spent hours upon hours making have now been ruined by a bug which will likely never ever be fixed.
This game could honestly be so much more and so much different, but they have steered and continue to steer it into a direction that I do not particularly care about. I also realise that my opinion is obviously biased and apparently many players truly enjoy the things that I may happen to dislike. However, no one can deny that the game has discarded realism almost entirely at this point and has left us with some bastardised rip off Mad Max meets random war game type scenario with far too many clichés and an economy centered around grind, grind, grind your f*cking life away or buy a sharkcard.
So, yes, the game has already jumped plenty of sharks for me personally, but I've just sort of had to look at it from a different angle. I cannot take it seriously and I am not interested in devoting anything more than a very casual effort into it anymore. I can enjoy it with friends and I can sometimes find others who are interested in doing the same things that I still enjoy, but I don't think there is anything that can be done at this point to steer things completely back towards the direction I enjoy most. So, my hopes are high for whatever is released with GTA VI and I still have great memories from playing this one for so long, but I really, really hope they put more of a focus on what GTA should feel like in the next instalment. Of course, all of the cards are stacked against those of us who dislike the new direction of the game; the thirst for more and more money via sharkcards will only lead things down an even more unsavoury path.

A perfect summation of my own feelings. Nicely written, sir.
  • alkaline_, -LN- and Voodoo-Hendrix like this

Semaj 2JZ♢
  • Semaj 2JZ♢

Switch up my style. I take any lane.

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

The whole drip-feed the good, most wanted, sh*t til the very last second, has been pretty scathing, imo. The giant paywall that GR introduced was also damning.

The most dreadful part tho was the migration of the best money making opportunities to the lawless apocalyptic wasteland known as freeroam. Solo public FTW tho and R* will never stop me doing it! 🖕😌 *does the eating a chicken leg lol dance*
  • Nossirag and Voodoo-Hendrix like this

DangerZ0neX
  • DangerZ0neX

It's K-Logg, dammit!

• Members
  • Saudi-Arabia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted A week ago

"You formed a personal opinion over an update a couple of weeks after it passed? What, it's a negative opinion that conflicts with mine?! STOP COMPLAINING!!!!"

Stop being so militant about anyone who doesn't worship Rockstar, it's just pathetic.
  • Xiled, Parth13, Nossirag and 1 other like this

gizmonomono
  • gizmonomono

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted A week ago

"You formed a personal opinion over an update a couple of weeks after it passed? What, it's a negative opinion that conflicts with mine?! STOP COMPLAINING!!!!"

Stop being so militant about anyone who doesn't worship Rockstar, it's just pathetic.

Sticks and stones, my man ;)

DangerZ0neX
  • DangerZ0neX

It's K-Logg, dammit!

• Members
  • Saudi-Arabia

Posted A week ago Edited by DangerZ0neX, A week ago.

Or, in other words, you can't come up with a counter-argument. :lol:

Let people express their rightful disgust with the two-week-long dripfeed process, it is mind numbingly boring to see over half the content being kept hidden in the codes for literal months until the December DLC gets announced.
  • Parth13, Nossirag and Voodoo-Hendrix like this

gizmonomono
  • gizmonomono

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted A week ago

Or, in other words, you can't come up with a counter-argument. :lol:

Let people express their rightful disgust with the two-week-long dripfeed process, it is mind numbingly boring to see over half the content being kept hidden in the codes for literal months until the December DLC gets announced.

Funny. You miss quoted me. And did it in such a childish, sarcastic way too. I feel no need to justify myself. We got an update recently and will be getting vehicles weekly. I'm okay with that. And it's my opinion. Me asking Crysis why he's complaining isn't spiting on his opinion. Much like you're doing here to me.

Now, go love yourself.

• TheKingChivas, MisFit-138 and ragedandcaged like this

Voodoo-Hendrix
  • Voodoo-Hendrix

Slight Return

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted A week ago

A good part of the people who say that GTAO hasn't jumped the Shark (Card) are griefers, tryhards and shills. Gee, I wonder why...

And for me, GTAO jumped the shark with Gunrunning with that disgusting research thing ripped off a mobile game.
  • Hate The Game, Ya Boy Punk Fan, zoso80 and 3 others like this

DangerZ0neX
  • DangerZ0neX

It's K-Logg, dammit!

• Members
  • Saudi-Arabia

Posted A week ago

Funny. You miss quoted me. And did it in such a childish, sarcastic way too. I feel no need to justify myself.

Don't see what's wrong with treating a childish comment as such, to be honest.

We got an update recently and will be getting vehicles weekly. I'm okay with that.

Then I'm pretty sure you'll behave yourself whenever someone states they're not okay with the dripfeed, correct?

And it's my opinion. Me asking Crysis why he's complaining isn't spiting on his opinion. Much like you're doing here to me.

Hmmm...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you spitting on Crysis's post for not being as okay as you are with the dripfeed in this very post? It awfully seems like it, so don't get too comfortable in your fallacies now. ;)
  • Parth13 and Voodoo-Hendrix like this

EkaSwede
  • EkaSwede

PC Player

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted A week ago

Isn't jumping the shark doing something absolutely outrageous in order to try keep something relevant?

• brose_sfr and MisFit-138 like this

ntinoskonsta
  • ntinoskonsta

Lawless Inc. CEO

• Members
  • Greece

Posted A week ago

GTAO jumped the shark with Gunrunning with that disgusting research thing ripped off a mobile game.

Yup. Research easily takes the cake as the single worst thing ever added to GTAO. No dev should ever think about adding paywalls to a paid game and microtransactions should only be a thing in free-to-play games IMO.

It baffles me how R* think that making only ~1/3 of an update's content available on release day will increase the longevity of the update. If anything, players will be bored because of the huge lack of content and lose interest. Hell, it doesn't even help shrek card sales because they're actually giving us more time to grind while we wait to be dripfed... What utter morons...

Hats off to LN for that great post BTW.
  • Ya Boy Punk Fan, alkaline_, R3CON and 5 others like this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users