Quantcast

» «
Photo

Has Grand Theft Auto Online jumped the shark?

315 replies to this topic
Giantsgiants
  • Giantsgiants

Boss

• Members
  • Mauritius

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:18 PM

For those unfamiliar with the term, "jumping the shark" in pop culture lingo refers to when a franchise hits its peak and then starts to go downhill. The term originated from an episode of Happy Days where Fonzie jumps over a shark when waterskiing.

I personally think that the game jumped the shark during the Finance and Felony update, when they started making the money making jobs only doable in public lobbies. Anyone who's been in a public lobby knows how nigh-impossible it can be to get things done, and Rockstar has been trying to force everyone into these war zone lobbies. Furthermore, I feel that this was the point where many players started to open their eyes and realize that all these updates are the same rehashed bullstuff and Rockstar is just trying to milk money out of us. I'd go as far to say that this is where the whole Grand Theft Auto franchise jumped the shark.

Do you think Grand Theft Auto Online has jumped the shark? And if so, at which point did you believe the game jumped the shark? Discuss.

• saintsrow, Mattoropael, Jimbatron and 10 others like this

Big Molio
  • Big Molio

Oop North

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:20 PM Edited by Big Molio, 11 September 2017 - 10:20 PM.

I think that these thinly veiled threads endlessly complaining about CEO / MC / BIKER et al jobs in public lobbies have jumped the shark.
  • gnomefromnome, MrGrandis, theNGclan and 29 others like this

REXX
  • REXX

REXX | ALEXA - Content Creator & GTA Photographer

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:22 PM

Well I'm still playing. So for me at least, its a no.
  • Valdorien, Unruly, TheKingChivas and 2 others like this

The Wandering Hunter
  • The Wandering Hunter

of vault 111

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:26 PM

yes but it's still good
  • Nossirag likes this

Prince_Polaris
  • Prince_Polaris

Where did I park my Tornado?

• Members
  • United-States
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:32 PM

Considering I racked up 1650 hours and then gave up when I realized how expensive all the smuggler's run sh*t was then...  yah

• Dan Dark, gtafan26, Parth13 and 3 others like this

DangerZ0neX
  • DangerZ0neX

It's K-Logg, dammit!

• Members
  • Saudi-Arabia
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:33 PM

Are elephants mammals? The answer is obviously yes.

Unlike you, I believe that it jumped the shark with Lowriders: Custom Classics. It's an update that essentially recycled a previous update, introduced the dreaded script that despawns any Online-only vehicle for anyone who spawns it in Singleplayer via mods on PC or uses a MP-to-SP garage glitch on consoles, started the dripfeed habit that artificially extends the life of an update way beyond its welcome, and the start of the trend of making as many clothing garments by recycling the clothes of previous updates and applying literal hundreds of different colors and textures on them to claim that they added 750 "unique" clothes and call it a day.

Then again, Finance & Felony was just as bad because it started the unoriginal trend of a Public-only business that still goes on to this day and the never-ending saturation of expensive hypercars. I hold both of these update responsible for ruining GTAO beyond repair, but when it comes to which update is responsible for ruining the GTA franchise as a whole, I pin the blame on Gunrunning.
  • saintsrow, Voit Turyv, gtafan26 and 16 others like this

dorcy
  • dorcy

"Alright, let's get straight to the biscuits."

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:38 PM

fonzie1.jpg

i think there's a lot of the threads about recently because people are pissed. i'd pretty much had it by Bikers / I and E, these days i log in if a new car is added. i've a few mil left and once it's gone i'll probably be done with R*.

• DS_NEO, -LN-, CUTS3R and 3 others like this

DrRumpleSweatyForeSkin
  • DrRumpleSweatyForeSkin

Jet Lover & Freemode Terrorist Since 2013

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:28 PM

The flying bike. I own it yeah, fun and all, even let friends who are too low in funds try it. Still stupid though lol

• gtafan26, alkaline_, Tokasmoka and 4 others like this

gtafan26
  • gtafan26

Burnt Spy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:30 PM

I would say yes.

• Ya Boy Punk Fan, -LN-, CUTS3R and 3 others like this

DemonicSpaceman
  • DemonicSpaceman

Homie

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:35 PM

Statistics show that August 2017 had the third highest player count for GTA Online so no, I don't think it's jumped the shark, if anything it's becoming more and more popular.
  • Valdorien, TheKingChivas, kovaandr and 2 others like this

nido997
  • nido997

Living in the City of Dreams

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:44 PM Edited by nido997, 11 September 2017 - 11:45 PM.

according to me , GTA "jumped the shark" with this Smuggler DLC , and it was the beginning of its "downfall" IMO.

the Vehicles are great , so is the new stuff added ... but R* just went too greedy with it : those crazy prices , the tiny small payouts , the difficulty of the mission (as a lone wolf)+playing in a public lobby (i´m not mad because we are playing in those lobbies,  but the global signal man ... I mean does everybody in the city knows about every  illegal cargo beeing transported IRL? )

• Nossirag, Mexicola9302, Voodoo-Hendrix and 1 other like this

_47_
  • _47_

A.L.E.X.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:52 PM

Eh, I cant really tell if GTAO has jumped the shark or not. I still see many lobbies full of players everyday. Even on steam, the amount of active players online still are over 10,000. Maybe for some it has, not for others. Its on perspective. I do agree Smugglers Run is a tipping point for many players.
  • HOONART and ryannata like this

Rafae
  • Rafae

OG

• GTAF Crew
  • None

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:53 PM

I feel like Online peaked with I/E.

Everything since then has been meh/trash.
  • MrGrandis, gtafan26, middevonclown and 4 others like this

That Guy There
  • That Guy There

I'm the king of the world

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:53 PM

fonzie1.jpg

Man that thing freaks me out. Looking like one of those ventriloquist dummies that always turn out to be evil
  • gtafan26 likes this

SuperJude™
  • SuperJude™

Not The Nicest Guy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:07 AM

More like jumped the Shark Card right 😎
  • MrGrandis, Draigon, The_Anti-tragedy and 17 others like this

The Wandering Hunter
  • The Wandering Hunter

of vault 111

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:15 AM

what happens when shark cards jump the shark?

sharknado

get to the bunker (and watch the security feed for free money)
  • saintsrow, SuperJude™, Jimbatron and 5 others like this

HamwithCheese
  • HamwithCheese

President of the LS Coquette Owners Club

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:51 AM

Yes. A long time ago too. And now, updates are being heavily monetized, further in between each other and now, holding more content to sustain player base. Ive got even less friends playing the game (2 actually) and with bigger and new games coming, I hope we are finally arriving to the end of support of gta0 2.0.
  • gtafan26, CUTS3R, Nossirag and 2 others like this

Snoopbr
  • Snoopbr

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:43 AM

Every product has a life cycle and R* is working to extend it more and more (and generate more income). The game is still very popular, but is more sensitive to DLC gaps. If we do not consider the GTA V release, the popularity is now way bigger than 2015.
Dunno about consoles, but there must be something similar during DLC releases.

48PaWcz.jpg

• TheKingChivas, MisFit-138, _47_ and 4 others like this

ragedandcaged
  • ragedandcaged

HYPOCRISY IS THICK HERE.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:11 AM

No. Still rocking along.
  • Valdorien, TheKingChivas, MisFit-138 and 2 others like this

Happy Hunter
  • Happy Hunter

Oft-requested

• Members
  • None
  • Governor of San Andreas 2017
    Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:25 AM

I think Gunrunning was its lowest point. Vehicles for young children, a considerable dripfeed, the quite frankly disgusting research system, etc.

Smuggler's Run was a big step up in my opinion. Some nasty prices, but they can't cost anymore than burning my money to watch some f*cking livery for a gun get unlocked. I can also unlock the discounts this time around (being a lone wolf, all those co-op missions - I couldn't really be bothered with last time).

Then you get to the vehicles. This time we have the Hunter - the H U N T E R. And we've got all these other aircraft, which were long overdue. There's also some kind of muscle car I think? Not sure.

The goofiest it gets this time is that batmobile. Which is goofy. But it's just the one vehicle, and doesn't fly. And I guess it might be kind of feasible that it could be made in reality. Ish. Plus it at least has some appeal as being a well known vehicle, even if you're not a fan.

Overall the vehicles are much more down to earth, add some that have been neglected for a long time. And are actually balanced quite carefully this time too - the explosive cannons aren't just a laser beam of death, lots of stuff has non-explosive cannons, and finally there's a helicopter that's not a sitting duck.

The work isn't lone wolf friendly at all though, and the pay is pretty horrible. And agreed that it's basically reskinned versions of the work before it. Just like gunrunning, bikers, I/E, etc.

The dripfeed is pretty rank too.

All in all it's a big improvement over last update in my opinion.

• Ya Boy Punk Fan, alkaline_, _47_ and 5 others like this

effenG
  • effenG

mr nice guy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:42 AM

Nope.

Mattoropael
  • Mattoropael

Proud Killer of Rate The Car Above You

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:59 AM

I think that these thinly veiled threads endlessly complaining about CEO / MC / BIKER et al jobs in public lobbies have jumped the shark.

Considering they're getting more popular and created more often lately, with each copy-pasta CEO/MC Business Clone Update adding fuel to the fire, I must disagree.

• Insane Clown, Ya Boy Punk Fan, Xiled and 1 other like this

GoodTimesAhead
  • GoodTimesAhead

Trick

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:12 AM Edited by GoodTimesAhead, 12 September 2017 - 03:17 AM.

1.You watching HappyDays? What are you 60yrs old?
2.Fonzarelli would not be caught dead with training wheels on his bike. (Fonz on bike pic)
3.Looks more like Ben Stiller than Henry Winkler
&4. R* was baiting us from the very first update. They knew what they wanted to introduce & when. Dem Dirty Bastards got us by da balls with these last two dlc's & our curiosity couldn't be any higher.
  • polaris23, Voodoo-Hendrix and ryannata like this

Forza Harrd
  • Forza Harrd

Chef

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:52 AM

After being out for four years what else could  they do?

what happens when shark cards jump the shark?

sharknado

get to the bunker (and watch the security feed for free money)

Wrong. Jetsons DLC.

• Voodoo-Hendrix likes this

J1M
  • J1M

APB

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:01 AM

After being out for four years what else could  they do?

Some excercise and a nap. :p

• Forza Harrd likes this

RollsReus1959
  • RollsReus1959

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:04 AM Edited by RollsReus1959, 12 September 2017 - 04:10 AM.

The peak of GTAO was Execs amd Crims. A dlc that many seem to forget. We finally got the high life and it was the pinnacle of our criminal career.

It introduced us to a yacht that was a mini map within a map which paved the way for bunkers and hangars, also big mini maps.

It introduced homes that everyone wanted minus mansions.

Gave us pretty nice clothes.

New armored vehicles that paved the way for other cars.

Yacht parties and invitees would be gifted with money then R* did something right when there wasn't a modder in sight for almost 8 months.

The new interaction menu that allowed us to do various things like calling our vehicle and calling for a buzzard.

This was the all time best DLC imo and was well thought out.

All these bikers and smuggling or gun running is an afterthought to our criminal career.

It was the biggest and most anticipated dlc in history and started VIP and CEO then all hell broke loose with reskin versions of biker and smuggling and running.
  • Mattoropael, We Are Ninja, Ya Boy Punk Fan and 7 others like this

Lucius M. Galloway
  • Lucius M. Galloway

Blood God

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:36 AM

The peak of GTAO was Execs amd Crims. A dlc that many seem to forget. We finally got the high life and it was the pinnacle of our criminal career.

It introduced us to a yacht that was a mini map within a map which paved the way for bunkers and hangars, also big mini maps.

It introduced homes that everyone wanted minus mansions.

Gave us pretty nice clothes.

New armored vehicles that paved the way for other cars.

Yacht parties and invitees would be gifted with money then R* did something right when there wasn't a modder in sight for almost 8 months.

The new interaction menu that allowed us to do various things like calling our vehicle and calling for a buzzard.

This was the all time best DLC imo and was well thought out.

All these bikers and smuggling or gun running is an afterthought to our criminal career.

It was the biggest and most anticipated dlc in history and started VIP and CEO then all hell broke loose with reskin versions of biker and smuggling and running.

Preach
  • Remapped likes this

rlk232
  • rlk232

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:48 AM Edited by rlk232, 12 September 2017 - 04:50 AM.

The game is in big trouble. Everyone I talked to now hates S R and Destiny 2 just came out. Plus, we know Ckstar has all their resources on Rdr again. They are drip feeding mostly useless garbage in between god awful updates. My playing days are on the ropes.

The Housers didn't jump they shark, they f***ed it and veteran players at the same time. Aspiring Trumps they must be. What's next, GTAO University? Only costs 300 megalodon cards!
  • slowburn29, Nossirag and J1M like this

gizmonomono
  • gizmonomono

What ifs are a waste of time

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:05 AM

The game is in big trouble. Everyone I talked to now hates S R and Destiny 2 just came out. Plus, we know Ckstar has all their resources on Rdr again. They are drip feeding mostly useless garbage in between god awful updates. My playing days are on the ropes.

The Housers didn't jump they shark, they f***ed it and veteran players at the same time. Aspiring Trumps they must be. What's next, GTAO University? Only costs 300 megalodon cards!

I hate the game, I hate the developer, but I still play the game, and discuss it online.... Is basically what you said. Do you not see the hypocrisy in that? If you don't like it any more, don't play it.

RollsReus1959
  • RollsReus1959

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:11 AM Edited by RollsReus1959, 12 September 2017 - 06:12 AM.

To add.....

Remember when this trailer dropped and everyone was dissecting the hell out of it.  Gives me goosebumps still.  New players wouldn't understand what GTAO was before this happened.  By adding homes they gave us hope of a mini-map extension and other properties/interiors open for game play.  Sadly they crushed all hopes of it happening.  I think if they slowly opened up game play in interiors and buildings (mini-map) then it would have added to the experience.  Their goal should be that every building and property in Los Santos be playable.  That should be the end goal of a sandbox game.  You can go anywhere on the map so it would make sense to allow game play in the buildings.  Instead they ventured off in the making money aspect of the game which we are quite bored of.  I'm sure daily players and social players have enough money already.  We've been making it for quite some time now and they keep raising prices to keep us going.

This is really part 2 of Execs and Crims but they called it Finance and Felony.

• We Are Ninja, CUTS3R and Voodoo-Hendrix like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users