Do we expect too much for GTA Next?

21 replies to this topic
Sprunkadelic
  • Sprunkadelic

"Ecola Is Better"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:22 PM

In the 3d era Rockstar had this predictable formula, each game was bigger than the last, VC had much more content than lll and SA had more content than VC.

But they really threw everyone a curveball when IV came out. Instead of making the game bigger they made it much more toned down and small compared to the previous. This pretty much let down a lot of people who expected IV to continue SA’s legacy and expected the game to be just as large if not larger

What if Rockstar were to do that again with GTA Next?

Do you think the fans who want more and more will accept another toned down deep GTA game?

Good Hombre
  • Good Hombre

I'm done with this sh*t

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:27 PM

I just hope it'll be more like IV and less like V.

• Gokuzbu likes this

Pink Pineapple
  • Pink Pineapple

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 September 2017 - 12:06 AM

I was fine with GTA IV being smaller and having fewer features than San Andreas since it was the first game on a new console in HD with advanced physics. 

I'll also be fine if they go smaller than V for GTA VI if they do something really impressive like having lots more interiors and interactivity, better AI, and a world that feels real and alive.

• Official General and eCola like this

Sprunkadelic
  • Sprunkadelic

"Ecola Is Better"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 September 2017 - 12:23 AM

I was fine with GTA IV being smaller and having fewer features than San Andreas since it was the first game on a new console in HD with advanced physics. 

I'll also be fine if they go smaller than V for GTA VI if they do something really impressive like having lots more interiors and interactivity, better AI, and a world that feels real and alive.

Yeah, i pretty much feel the same way

also i think IV was toned down not only because they wanted to but because they were using a new engine and were testing new things as they went along and kinda tried to limit theirselves a bit

However, when V came out, they kinda already knew what they were doing thanks to Max Payne and Red Dead.

I feel like they went a bit too adventurous with it, and went to an area they can never return from.

Queen Elizabeth II
  • Queen Elizabeth II

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 11 September 2017 - 12:53 AM

All we need is GTA IV 2.0. Trust me on that.

• MojoGamer likes this

VictorVince1239
  • VictorVince1239

Thug

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 September 2017 - 01:51 AM

IV was smaller but the city was much more alive than any other before or after it so far imo. So for me I don't think it's too much at all to expect/want them to go back to that approach with an even bigger city this time around. Having as many buildings enterable as possible with a purpose. Not to mention new features like possibly interacting with pedestrians out on the street both in the main story and online.

• Gokuzbu likes this

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 11 September 2017 - 02:09 AM Edited by DOUGL4S1, 11 September 2017 - 02:10 AM.

Hype is a dangerous things when it comes to games, and it can be very dangerous for a publisher to play with their public. Take Ubisoft for example, they try hyping the Watch_Dogs games (not too much the 2nd, but still), The Crew, whatever their retarded rabbit is doing with Super Mario, etc so much, that people are not met with the expectation the publisher created, and that's how Ubisoft went on a very steep downhill by their fanbase.

Rockstar tries a different approach, they spend months, sometimes years in silence (ask any RDR fan), so whenever new information is released, it is seen as more special. However, if the companies don't fill the hole on the hype, the fanbase will, with fanfics and wishlist threads. Earlier Rockstar predictibility towards 'bigger is better' helped with the GTA IV hatebase, people were expecting a San Andreas 2.0, even larger and with more things to do, and out came a game that was smaller and more focused on story. And some people didn't like that because the game didn't meet with the expectations they've created.

I personally wouldn't mind a step back from V to master other game elements, be it the story, character development, gameplay, etc. However, I'm sure if that happens, something similar to what happened with GTA IV will happen, with people expecting more and more from the game, but in the end not getting what they wanted.

• MojoGamer and Sprunkadelic like this

beanzinapot
  • beanzinapot

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 September 2017 - 02:16 AM

Hype is a dangerous things when it comes to games, and it can be very dangerous for a publisher to play with their public. Take Ubisoft for example, they try hyping the Watch_Dogs games (not too much the 2nd, but still), The Crew, whatever their retarded rabbit is doing with Super Mario, etc so much, that people are not met with the expectation the publisher created, and that's how Ubisoft went on a very steep downhill by their fanbase.

Rockstar tries a different approach, they spend months, sometimes years in silence (ask any RDR fan), so whenever new information is released, it is seen as more special. However, if the companies don't fill the hole on the hype, the fanbase will, with fanfics and wishlist threads. Earlier Rockstar predictibility towards 'bigger is better' helped with the GTA IV hatebase, people were expecting a San Andreas 2.0, even larger and with more things to do, and out came a game that was smaller and more focused on story. And some people didn't like that because the game didn't meet with the expectations they've created.

I personally wouldn't mind a step back from V to master other game elements, be it the story, character development, gameplay, etc. However, I'm sure if that happens, something similar to what happened with GTA IV will happen, with people expecting more and more from the game, but in the end not getting what they wanted.

This exactly. So many times iv e seen people hype things up and get let down cause the game didn't have a certain thing that they wanted in the game. Now it is the worst game ever and f*ck the company that made it cause they didn't have that one thing I wanted!! Lol just shut up and play the game or don't play it at all.
  • Zello and DOUGL4S1 like this

MojoGamer
  • MojoGamer

Ultra Instinct

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 September 2017 - 02:44 AM Edited by MojoGamer, 11 September 2017 - 02:45 AM.

Ok since Hurricane Irma just hit Miami's surroundings. Its safe to assume that Vice City will remain small and more focused on the story, with hopes of Las Venturas too. For me bigger is not better, look at GTA V.They asked for it and were unsatisfied, that even the Bens left along with the Midnight Club people.

For me a Vice City and Las Venturas remake in 4K, will be a 50/50 win/win situation. Some will have all the silliness they ever wanted with San Andreas 2.0 and i'll have the return of hardcore gameplay in a FPS GTA IV 2.0.

I havn't recieved any premonitions about GTA 6, but seeing them take LA Noire into 4K. Keeps me with a yin yang level between choas and peace, like Deadpool and sh*t.

ViceOfLiberty
  • ViceOfLiberty

Prankster

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 11 September 2017 - 03:12 AM

With a quarter billion dollar budget and at least half a decade of dev time on top of 20 years of experimentation in the genre, I think it's fair to expect alot.
  • Pink Pineapple, Brian_O_Malley and Yinepi like this

Queen Elizabeth II
  • Queen Elizabeth II

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:43 AM Edited by Queen Elizabeth II, 13 September 2017 - 03:33 PM.

Ok since Hurricane Irma just hit Miami's surroundings.

Rest in Peace Tommy Vercetti who can't swim and Ken Rosenberg who loves fish but doesn't want to sleep with them. I guess he has no choice now. 

• Yinepi likes this

Gokuzbu
  • Gokuzbu

Luis and Niko will not be touched by Trevor.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:30 AM

I'm sure there are some people expecting too much, definitely. Personally I just want a worthy follow up to IV and EFLC.

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:48 AM

I think people are expecting too much, but not for the same reasons. Most people here want Rockstar to go back to the style of IV, as do I, but I fully expect Rockstar to take a leaf out of GTA Online's book and make VI even crazier and more idiotic.
  • DOUGL4S1 likes this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Members
  • Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:00 AM

I don't really care if R* make another GTA like GTA IV or not, but I would like to see GTA VI developed with the mentality R* had with GTA IV not caring what the fans think and making a GTA how they want to make it. Listening to the fans isn't always a good thing IMO. Look what it did to the Saints Row series. Now it feels like a 12 year old's interpretation of Prototype and InFamous.

Granted GTA V's still a good game, but I think it would be a lot better if R* made it more a long the lines of their own vision rather than bending to pressure from disgruntled 3D era fans who couldn't accept the series had moved on from a bazillion shallow features with next to no depth employed.

So yes. I think we expect too much from GTA VI already. I think it''ll be as GTAO centric as GTA V. Probably more, but I am hoping for more of R*'s finer touches that make their late 00s/early 2010s games so masterful.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:51 AM

To be completely honest I don't care about GTA VI as much as I don't care for RDR 2. If it comes out I'll see what's about and then decided whether to play it or not. Right now they may kill the series completely for all I care.

• Official General likes this

Queen Elizabeth II
  • Queen Elizabeth II

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:21 AM

I feel the same. In my opinion this should be the last GTA. Or maybe GTA IV should have been the last one. They would have ended the franchise in a perfect way.

deadasdisco
  • deadasdisco

Rat

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:35 AM

I feel the same. In my opinion this should be the last GTA. Or maybe GTA IV should have been the last one. They would have ended the franchise in a perfect way.

No way GTA will and should continue to revolutionise.

• Efreet likes this

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:12 AM

We should expect more, otherwise what's the point of buying the same game after every 4 years, and over a decade since inception?

It seems like HD era fans ( vs 3D era fans) are failing to prioritize expectations that are most important to GTA series. All I read is gritty story, characters, and about physics and graphics.

Oh and yes, MOAR REALISM!!!

Only 3D era fans talk about what matters the most - A FUN Single Player!

From lots of content to unlimited freedom, whether *ahem* it makes sense to the character, story, or not.

JB1982
  • JB1982

Square Civilian

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:08 PM

In answer to the topic's question: yes, I think people do expect too much from GTA VI. I think this is largely because of the gaps between series entries. There was five years between GTA IV and V as opposed to an average of two years between the releases of III, Vice City, San Andreas and IV. We are now four years on from V's release and I think, inevitably and understandably, people are looking forward to the next installment. They've had plenty of time to play and re-play the current and previous versions and work out what they like, what they don't like, what they would like to see in a future release etc. And with no info on what VI is about at the moment all we have is our own imaginations and thoughts on what VI should be.

This in itself creates a problem as what we discuss on here and what is in our heads will inevitably not be what gets released. The question here is how we handle the actual details when they are eventually announced and we find out that not everything we expected from the next GTA will be present. Will our expectations, and subsequent disappointment if we find something isn't there that we really wanted, be a driving force in our view on VI or will we just sit back and be enthused that we are getting another installment?

Tonesta
  • Tonesta

Rat

• Members

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:13 PM

It's funny, I don't view GTAIV as small compared to GTA:SA at all.

Yes, there's fewer activities, and the map's literal area is smaller - but the level of detail is on a completely different plane from the PS2 generation of games. There may be less to do in GTAIV, but there's way more to explore.

GTAV then took that same level of detail, and expanded on the variety of activities, missions and landscapes. It did turn up the crazy a little as well, which some liked and some hated.

Thing is, I'm not sure now that there's any benefit in making VI more detailed than IV/V. When every home, alleyway or billboard is already unique and individually crafted, where else can you go in terms of detail?

So I'd expect VI to continue the trend, and have the same attention to detail, but be a little bigger in size than V - with perhaps a bit more variety in gameplay (and a few more interiors to placate the boo boys!)

Problem is it takes a looooong time to build a map when every building in it has to be handcrafted by an art designer somewhere (rather than cut and pasting polygons like the PS2-era games). And bigger = longer, pretty much proportionally.

• Algonquin Assassin and Tycek like this

Yinepi
  • Yinepi

Wepwawet Wannabe

• Members
  • Egypt

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:25 PM Edited by Yinepi, 13 September 2017 - 03:40 PM.

I like when people say that every alley and billboard are different, when that isn't the case. Simple study of the map and game files will tell you that very often does Rockstar use the same mesh over and over. Mirror Park for example has many of the same house models placed in a circle pattern. That's not miraculous attention to detail. It's just simply designing a city map. So much praise for Rockstar yet other games have the same details.

What I expect from GTAVI is a game that feels alive, but still feels fun. One with originality and complex writing. One with non-whiny third-wheel characters, One with great vehicle physics and animations. One with a destructible and dynamic environment.

GTA maps too often feel like still life art. The maps are too small, the road and city layouts often confusing and disorganized, the geographic features out-of-scale and weirdly placed.

DarthVaper
  • DarthVaper

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:35 AM

As long as they host everything themselves and dnt use P2P anymore, I'll be happy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users