Quantcast

» «
Photo

What do you think works? Being Nice to People or Being Rude?

35 replies to this topic
Rockstargames32490
  • Rockstargames32490

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

So, there was this incident at my work today. Some lady and her friend come into the gas station where I work and are checking lottery tickets, so here's what happens: Most of these tickets are "Not a Winner" tickets and they can't cash them. So here's what THEY do, instead of taking the time to find a garbage and throw them away, they simply put them right on the counter and say "Throw these away"??? So my immediate response without even thinking was: "Garbage can right over there, enjoy the rest of your day!" So this didn't go to well with them, they report me to the manager and the manager didn't really do much to be honest: he just said: next time that happens just throw it away for them, it's not big deal!! What do u guys think? Was it better for me to be nice and throw away their stuff? Or was I right the first thing I did and just said "Have a nice day"??

fashion
  • fashion

Glory to Mankind!

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted A week ago Edited by fashion, A week ago.

Not sure whether this topic will be locked or merged but I'll answer anyways.

Listen to your manager. Saying "have a nice day" to someone who just lost the lottery isn't a good idea. From their perspective, it only fuels their anger, maybe they even think you're mocking them. I believe that's why they reported you to begin with.
Simply throw their tickets away like your boss told you to and don't make a big deal out of it. I've seen worse job situations tbh. I see no big issue here.
  • GrudgefromSanAndreas and PicardsBong like this

SLUMPUSSY
  • SLUMPUSSY

Boss

• The Yardies
  • Unknown
  • Super Special Gold Star 2006
    Draw Contest Booby Prize 2016
    Campaign Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016
    14K Doggo/Catto-Chop Winner 2017

Posted A week ago

find where they live and replace half a bottle of their shampoo with nair hair removal cream

thatll show em

• Shaundi., Gummy , Awesom-0 and 2 others like this

Chiari
  • Chiari

I'm everything you wish you were

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

The way I see it, if she can throw away her money on scratch offs, she can also throw away her scratch offs.

Rockstargames32490
  • Rockstargames32490

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

The way I see it, if she can throw away her money on scratch offs, she can also throw away her scratch offs.

I know right?? From now on, next time they do that: Just gonna let the tickets sit there on the counter and not even touch them. See if someone eventually throws them away!! Not gonna be me though!

Alexander
  • Alexander

she's a Khaleesi not a queen fcks sake mate

• The Yardies
  • Venezuela

Posted A week ago

lol if its "right there"  and the manager told you to throw them out that's probably the way to go.

though she was a bit of an asshole I guess.

• PicardsBong likes this

SLUMPUSSY
  • SLUMPUSSY

Boss

• The Yardies
  • Unknown
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted A week ago

the customer is always right is probably one of the worst mindsets to exist

• fashion, Awesom-0 and Femme Fatale like this

fashion
  • fashion

Glory to Mankind!

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted A week ago Edited by fashion, A week ago.

While I definetly agree, sometimes it's just better to adapt, especially to smaller issues like this. In the end, it's the workers who need to keep the workplace or store clean. Customers sure can make a mess and treat you like sh*t because of their own lack of culture and common sense and it f*cking sucks but there isn't really anything that can be done about it.

As long as you work in a store with custumers, you need to act like you want get on your knees and open their zipper. No boss on earth would like to have a worker who doesn't treat customers the way they think they must be treated.

I hate this whole customer friendly bullsh*t too.
  • Vik and PicardsBong like this

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted A week ago Edited by DOUGL4S1, A week ago.

People who believe in "The costumer is always right" only fuel the "The costumers is always an asshole" stereotype.

Anyways, do they have red hair, wear either sunglasses or glasses with no lenses and drive a Prius?

SLUMPUSSY
  • SLUMPUSSY

Boss

• The Yardies
  • Unknown
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted A week ago

While I definetly agree, sometimes it's just better to adapt, especially to smaller issues like this. In the end, it's the workers who need to keep the workplace or store clean. Customers sure can make a mess and treat you like sh*t because of their own lack of culture and common sense and it f*cking sucks but there isn't really anything that can be done about it.

As long as you work in a store with custumers, you need to act like you want get on your knees and open their zipper. No boss on earth would like to have a worker who doesn't treat customers the way they think they must be treated.

yeah for little things i'd agree but some of the things i hear from people who work retail etc is f*cking awful.

People who believe in "The costumer is always right" only fuel the "The costumers is always an asshole" stereotype.

Anyways, do they have red hair, wear either sunglasses or glasses with no lenses and drive a Prius?

i was thinking more this

tumblr_nfkv1yy1Tw1u42p4wo1_540.png

• 2281, Pavle and Awesom-0 like this

Alexander
  • Alexander

she's a Khaleesi not a queen fcks sake mate

• The Yardies
  • Venezuela

Posted A week ago

I don't she was right.

But idk I dont think its worth it. w/e though your job

HeavyDuke
  • HeavyDuke

Big Homie

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted A week ago

You did the right thing, fat bitch deserves a sh*t to the face.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted A week ago

You weren't being nice in her view, though. If you work with people, you gotta know how to put yourself into their shoes and imagine what they are going through before deciding on your action.

You just saw them waste money on lottery tickets, and likely noticed they had a sh*tty day. The nicest thing you could have done was thrown them away and wish them a nice day.

• Alexander, Vik and PicardsBong like this

HeavyDuke
  • HeavyDuke

Big Homie

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted A week ago

You weren't being nice in her view, though. If you work with people, you gotta know how to put yourself into their shoes and imagine what they are going through before deciding on your action.

You just saw them waste money on lottery tickets, and likely noticed they had a sh*tty day. The nicest thing you could have done was thrown them away and wish them a nice day.

And lick their boots clean while he was at it.

• PicardsBong likes this

PicardsBong
  • PicardsBong

Lazy Astronaut

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

I think it's funny you can tell all the hardcore haxxor kids who have never had a real job or even a sh*tty customer service one; if you have an attitude towards a customer about anything, and you're employed there, you're simply wrong, I'm sorry. They're paying you to, as another poster mentioned, act as though you'd open their zipper. Yes, it blows, yes it's a f*cked up system. Yes, it should be obliterated and changed forever. But until that happens, you gotta abide. Or lose your job. People are dicks. Customer service will expose you to dickatude you'd never have imagined. But ideally you're being paid adequately to deal with this. Often that's the farthest thing from the truth, but that's why we work; to gain experience and move up. It's a slog, but it's the way it is.

Source: Over 5 years in retail as a manager and an associate.
  • Tchuck and 2281 like this

Triple Vacuum Seal
  • Triple Vacuum Seal

If you ♥ the $, then prepare to die for it.

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

You wanna talk to the manager eh?...

• Raavi, Awesom-0, Vik and 3 others like this

HeavyDuke
  • HeavyDuke

Big Homie

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted A week ago

I think it's funny you can tell all the hardcore haxxor kids who have never had a real job or even a sh*tty customer service one

Because i'm not a paycheck slave, i'm a kid? Well, guess again. I work for myself.

• Scaglietti and PicardsBong like this

Neon_Dreaming
  • Neon_Dreaming

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago Edited by Neon_Dreaming, A week ago.

It can be tough dealing with irate people in work, the trick is to just put up a mental barrier between them and you, try and imagine a perspex riot shield between them and you, blocking out all the negativety towards you, not letting anything they say get to you.

Be polite and helpful as the job expects you to be until they eventually leave. You can't stop how people will act towards you but you can control how if effects you. Once you get the hang of this the rude customers won't bother you nearly as much. It can be difficult to put this into practice but it's worth it imo.

Rude people aren't worth getting worked up about, do your day and go home and forget about it until the next day. It's not worth your time fretting and worrying about these people, you've got better things to do.

SLUMPUSSY
  • SLUMPUSSY

Boss

• The Yardies
  • Unknown
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted A week ago

pink underwear works

PicardsBong
  • PicardsBong

Lazy Astronaut

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago Edited by PicardsBong, A week ago.

I think it's funny you can tell all the hardcore haxxor kids who have never had a real job or even a sh*tty customer service one

Because i'm not a paycheck slave, i'm a kid? Well, guess again. I work for myself.
Lemme guess bowse, computer repair?

War21.jpg

And that's it for me, you folks enjoy your topic.

SLUMPUSSY
  • SLUMPUSSY

Boss

• The Yardies
  • Unknown
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted A week ago

this just in: complaining about awful people in retail means you've never worked

• Scaglietti, Awesom-0, HeavyDuke and 1 other like this

DOOM!
  • DOOM!

yessir

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

That's the joys of customer service. You're expected to be nice at all times no matter how big how a douche the customer is acting. Obviously you need to listen to your manager and stay professional, otherwise customer service might not be your calling.

I f*cking hated customer service, there are moments you can be someone's vocal punching bag and you can't do sh*t about it without risking your job.
  • Awesom-0, Neon_Dreaming and PicardsBong like this

HeavyDuke
  • HeavyDuke

Big Homie

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted A week ago Edited by HeavyDuke, A week ago.

Lemme guess bowse, computer repair?

War21.jpg

And that's it for me, you folks enjoy your topic.

So you act childish, cry about the fact that i don't have to serve anyone for cash then run to your mommy?

Interests

Booze, cigars, women, weed, writing, GTA, and traveling through space and time pretentiously as possible.

Basement dwelling pothead confirmed. No wonder you get mad at other people who make money without having someone tell them what to do. Maybe if you would quit being a pothead, you would actually do something with your life you lowlife scum.
  • Scaglietti, Awesom-0, Chiari and 1 other like this

SLUMPUSSY
  • SLUMPUSSY

Boss

• The Yardies
  • Unknown
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted A week ago

this just in: anyone who smokes weed is basement dwelling pothead lowlife scum

• fashion likes this

Craig
  • Craig

Park Head

• None
  • Best Writer 2011
    Time Traveller Of The Year 1984

Posted A week ago

This is less about being nice or nasty to get a result than it is about the self-entitlement customers feel when in a retail setting. Obviously if you work for a company that promotes the policy of the customer being right in every situation, they're going to say that their snotty attitude absolutely works in getting what they want. You can't win that one, because all it will take is a strongly worded Yelp review and they'll get a result regardless. It's entirely situational, and it's delicate ground to tread because there are situations where you can be nice or rude. I've never worked in retail, but I have worked in hospitality and health care. They're similar in that you're working to serve another, essentially. You'll always get some people who believe you should be offering something different based on their expectations. They may not understand that such an action simply isn't possible in your line of work, and the minute you refuse they take it personally and throw a barrage of examples at you that prove why you should.

To me, it isn't a case of being nice or nasty. It's about being smart. It's about reading your customer and anticipating an attitude. If I remain pleasant through-out an ugly confrontation and keep a cool head, I'll more often than not diffuse a situation even if I don't bend over backwards for them. Things dissolve pretty quickly when one person is frothing at the mouth and the other is as cool as a cucumber. I wouldn't advocate being rude back, especially at work, because more often than not you'll feel the wrath of upper management. Unless you're assaulted or an inappropriate comment is made, you'll never win. Being rude is never an option, but being clever is.

• Scaglietti, Awesom-0, Vik and 3 others like this

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

Both.

It depends on what kind of person you're dealing with. If someone is genuinely a good person, no matter the differences, then I'll hesitate to comes off as rude. sh*t people don't deserve any niceties.

SLUMPUSSY
  • SLUMPUSSY

Boss

• The Yardies
  • Unknown
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted A week ago

xxi
  • xxi

• Members
  • Wales
  • The Baddest Female
    Best CL Fan
    Best New Member 2015

Posted 6 days ago

Not sure whether this topic will be locked or merged but I'll answer anyways.

Listen to your manager. Saying "have a nice day" to someone who just lost the lottery isn't a good idea. From their perspective, it only fuels their anger, maybe they even think you're mocking them. I believe that's why they reported you to begin with.
Simply throw their tickets away like your boss told you to and don't make a big deal out of it. I've seen worse job situations tbh. I see no big issue here.

tbh there's more of a chance of them not winning anyway so they had nothing to lose to begin with, who would get mad over that? 

I would've just thrown it away for them but if they asked me like a human and not something they just stepped in

Nitrous~
  • Nitrous~

RACINGM8

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 6 days ago

Depending on society ie: city, country, place (school, work, etc)being nice or rude could work. In most cases being nice will get you more sh*t than being rude sadly.

Leftist Bastard
  • Leftist Bastard

Like tears in rain

• Daily Globe
  • Syria

Posted 6 days ago

is this elementary school

• PicardsBong likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users