Quantcast

» «
Photo

Polybius and other 'Mythical Games'.

3 replies to this topic
Uncle Sikee Atric
  • Uncle Sikee Atric

Everyone's favorite Uncle, but not Led-By.

• Paleto Bay Mayor's Office
  • United-Kingdom
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 09 September 2017 - 03:42 PM

I know there is a previous thread relating to the Myth of Polybius, but since it was last used in 2011, I thought it was best to create a new one and expand the discussion to not just Polybius, but other titles that could be real and either lost to time or myths of gaming.

The story for Polybius is supposed to have begun in the backstreet arcades of Portland Oregon where the game appeared and disappeared a few months later, with tales of side effects in players ranging from amnesia to other more serious problems.  While nothing was ever proven the legend has lingered for a long time.

I do remember tales of Polybius from when I was younger, but never found anything more than old pages on the internet, but now a new investigation has just appeared and seems to have taken 6 months of digging, before making this video :

This film, while on Youtube, does explore the history of the Polybius myth in great detail and calls into question the entire chain of events. It's better than some TV media productions in terms of detail and well worth watching, even if you haven't heard of the myth or anything similar before as the story is a fascinating look at video game history and the more obscure detail in which evidence is lost, even detail from as little as 20 years ago....

But watching this documentary made me start thinking, what other myths and legends exist in gaming? I do remember the tale of Hareraiser and the legend behind that, told here by Stuart Ashen :

But there has to be a lot more, which ones do you remember, or have heard of?
  • Mister Pink, The Deadite, Ivan1997GTA and 1 other like this

Neon_Dreaming
  • Neon_Dreaming

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 September 2017 - 05:06 PM Edited by Neon_Dreaming, 09 September 2017 - 05:15 PM.

There was the myth about the haunted Ocarina of Time cartridge, pure fiction but a fun read all the same, quite an elaborate hoax with accompanying videos, this page explains it pretty well.
http://knowyourmeme....-drowned?full=1

I've heard of Polybius, looking forward to watching the video you posted later, it looks interesting.

Cracked.com also had an article titled "8 Creepy Video Game Urban Legends (That Happen to Be True)" The link is below and Polybius is in the article at no. 1
http://www.cracked.c...to-be-true.html
  • Uncle Sikee Atric and The Deadite like this

Skyline_Mad
  • Skyline_Mad

supercalifragilistic when we drop we go ballistic

• Members

Posted 09 September 2017 - 10:53 PM

I'll get around to the vid in the next day or so but it does look interesting, kinda reminds me of the nude cheat in the first Tomb Raider game, i never could get it working lol, then years later found out it didn't even exist, which is probably a good thing, as i'm not fond of triangle boobs.

Never heard of Polybius until yesterday, but as soon as i saw that youtube video in my suggestions i added it to my "watch later" playlist, as i always look forward to new content by Ahoy, even if it's on a topic i'm unfamiliar with. He puts a lot of time and effort into researching and developing his vids, which is rare these days on youtube. His channel is mostly content around firearm history in real life and video games and a bit of video game franchise history etc... worth looking though his older stuff.

D9fred95
  • D9fred95

10 Franklings out of 10

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 10 September 2017 - 03:52 AM Edited by D9fred95, 10 September 2017 - 08:17 PM.

Not really a myth but apparently there has never been a recorded physical copy of Hong Kong 97, not even a grainy image of one. Probably one of the absolute hardest to obtain a physical copy of by default. Kinda weird but also unsurprising considering the game's... content.

• Mister Pink likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users