• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster in Music 2017
    Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:36 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 11 October 2017 - 12:42 PM.

As stated earlier in the thread, the true roots of GTA is mindless killing and car chases, not immersive cities and compelling stories despite how well GTA does these 2 factors.

That's your personal opinion. GTA was those things you mention and notably Vice City for me and San Andreas were compelling stories and the cities we immersive from III. There was mindless killing and car chases but that was only part of it. You had hours of cutscenes with with all-star Hollywood casts. There wasn't anyone around the time of GTA III making city-based open-worlds. It was huge! I remember being told that if you beat someone up and ambulance would arrive. Then you could beat the ambulance men and steal the ambulance. Doesn't sound special now but that was crazy back then! It was unheard of. There was so much buzz and hype around it. Were you around at the time or old enough to remember? Maybe the story or the city's immersive quality didn't appeal to you back then.

Back to my point..

Doesn't take away from my main point that the 3D era gave us fresh locations and bounced between timelines, giving the look, fashion dramatic changes. Going from III to Vice City gave a stark change in styles of cars. There wasn't other open-world games to compare like there is now. So Rockstar owned those places. Now we have other open world games and Rockstar setting their own games in the same locations makes those locations not very unique. 

Returning to roots, means for me, returning to a time when Rockstar gave us new cities and new timelines.

What are we going to get next? Modern day Vice City? How predictable, if so. 

• B Dawg and Le Shark like this

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:56 AM

There wasn't anyone around the time of GTA III making city-based open-worlds. It was huge!

Sorry to say, but that's not true. Mafia 1 was already in development since 1998 or so. 

>> 10 Years On: Interview With Mafia Director Daniel Vavra <<

@topic

HD era is leaning towards more realism, heavy emphasis on storytelling, even if it means certain sacrifices on the gameplay (and content) front. From my experiences with GTA IV and V, a lot of the fun of 2D/3D GTA's has either been scrapped for realistic design and appeal, or kept reserved for multiplayer experiences to make it a great incentive for the boring single player experiences outside the story.

HD era is just taking the safe option of providing the most basic fun mechanics without taking any risks or evolving the single player experiences any further. Online could be the reason here, but in either way, GTA will not be same any more, that's for sure.

Additionally, there's a large crowd that seems to be favoring story so much over gameplay. 

• Vice City criminal likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Siamese Dream

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster in Music 2017
    Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:00 AM

There wasn't anyone around the time of GTA III making city-based open-worlds. It was huge!

Sorry to say, but that's not true. Mafia 1 was already in development since 1998 or so. 

>> 10 Years On: Interview With Mafia Director Daniel Vavra <<

@topic

HD era is leaning towards more realism, heavy emphasis on storytelling, even if it means certain sacrifices on the gameplay (and content) front. From my experiences with GTA IV and V, a lot of the fun of 2D/3D GTA's has either been scrapped for realistic design and appeal, or kept reserved for multiplayer experiences to make it a great incentive for the boring single player experiences outside the story.

HD era is just taking the safe option of providing the most basic fun mechanics without taking any risks or evolving the single player experiences any further. Online could be the reason here, but in either way, GTA will not be same any more, that's for sure.

Additionally, there's a large crowd that seems to be favoring story so much over gameplay. 

Not, really. In this case, it doesn't matter when things are conceived or in development, what matters is when the gamer actually gets to play it.  Mafia which was a story-focused game that didn't come out on consoles until 2004. By that time GTA III blew us away, Vice City was out nearly 2 years and San Andreas was due to release a few months later.

But I agree with the rest of your post and I love the story side of GTA. I just wish they will make a character's story that suits a wide range of criminal activities. I hope they just remember that what might seem great in a film, may not translate very well in to a videogame. Like Michael's family and him deceiving Trevor all this time. Yeah, that's an interesting story if it was a movie but I don't want to play as someone I can't respect or feel sympathy for.

• Good Hombre likes this

Lioshenka
  • Lioshenka

KGB agent

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:42 PM Edited by Lioshenka, 28 October 2017 - 10:54 PM.

God, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I'm OK with multiple protagonists, but 1 would be better. What I want to see back:

- multiple safe houses in different areas

- no autohealing

- restore the old STAR and bribe police system

- get rid of the silly weapon wheel. I want to switch my weapons fast

- make radio fun again, not even more depressing and realistic

- diverse landscape. Problem with GTA 5 was that even though it had the countryside, it was all hills. Nothing else.

- allow offline mode. Like offline, with no need for a constant internet connection.

- only use the phone to pick up the calls

- also display time and weapons in the corner, like in the good old days

- 2d colourful radar

These are small things... I mean GTA 4 was a total disaster, but if these little things were fixed in the next GTA I would be the happiest gamer alive.

I think GTA 3 had the most atmospheric setting, SA was the best out of all of them (it wasn't THE best, but given the wide range of music, vehicles, activities, landscpape and missions it definitely is the one R* should try and re-create). I remember walking to the Portland safehouse at night, people shouting, listening to Walkmen, steam coming out of mancovers, train wheels screeching in the distance, the sound of waves... Or going back to the hood in the sunset-lit Ganton, with homies chilling on the steps, air filled with heat... Never since I experienced the same level of satisfaction as then.

I recently sold my GTA 4 copy on eBay. Never before I sold anything GTA related. Every GTA that came out I bought it straight away. Now, with GTA 6 I will wait before deciding if it is right for me. I am horrified by admitting the fact that I may not even buy GTA 6 if R* approach doesn't change.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users