Photo

Toning down weaponry in GTA NXT

47 replies to this topic
LincolnClay
  • LincolnClay

F*ck Take Two Interactive...

• Members
  • Australia

Posted A day ago Edited by LincolnClay, A day ago.

I don't care if we can carry an army's arsenal down our pants, but I do want GTA IV's beefy sense of weight and recoil to come back instead of feeling like I'm shooting a cap gun.

Exactly. GTA V and Online felt way too easy at times so long as you had the best gun in the game.

I want Miniguns and heavy machine guns to have a f*ckload of recoil, actually affecting gameplay in some way. It would make the guns powerful, but at the same time making it harder to shoot accurately, thus making it less overpowered and more balanced I guess.

Sounds dumb, but it would be a neat feature to add. I say that because a lot of people would rather keep combat the way it is.

Edit: People are gonna scream at me for this, but Mafia III did this well. I can't be the only one here who loves the combat system in that game.
  • Algonquin Assassin likes this

raebbitos
  • raebbitos

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted A day ago

I think that in GTA:Next weapons would be carried in holsters like a sawn off and a micro smg on each side or two smgs and two sawnoffs and pistols would be carried in your belt I saw a video on youtube of a guy carrying a shotgun in his pants so pump action shotguns would work as concealed carry and rpgs sniper rifles , and assault rifles could be stored in the trunk of your personal car or in the back of your van also you could store extra ammo in the satchels on your bike.

https://www.youtube....h?v=wSL5VMdlDPs

• xXxKAMIKAZExXx and LibertyCityGraffitiKid like this

Ertan Soner
  • Ertan Soner

Thunderstorm

• Members
  • Turkey

Posted A day ago

No, it should stay like that...One weapon for each category, that is enough. Don't change it.

ViceOfLiberty
  • ViceOfLiberty

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A day ago

I think that in GTA:Next weapons would be carried in holsters like a sawn off and a micro smg on each side or two smgs and two sawnoffs and pistols would be carried in your belt I saw a video on youtube of a guy carrying a shotgun in his pants so pump action shotguns would work as concealed carry and rpgs sniper rifles , and assault rifles could be stored in the trunk of your personal car or in the back of your van also you could store extra ammo in the satchels on your bike.

Why the f*ck would a criminal be wearing holsters and sh*t strapped to him like he was some poser about to shoot up a school. lmao.

i have an AK47 variant rifle with an underfolder stock and I can fit it in my pants. There's no way someone could run like that though. 

• universetwisters likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, WILLY!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted A day ago

They should have animations for your character depending on how many weapons he has stuffed down his pants. He could go from a normal walk to a comical straight-legged march that takes 3 minutes to get in and out of cars
  • AmigaMix, LibertyCityGraffitiKid and ViceOfLiberty like this

Pink Pineapple
  • Pink Pineapple

• Members
  • None

Posted A day ago

However I didn't agree about can't drop weapon, because you can just ignore weapon you didn't like

You can't just ignore them when you're in a car. Cycling through a bunch of unwanted weapons to get the one you want is annoying.

• AmigaMix likes this

ViceOfLiberty
  • ViceOfLiberty

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A day ago

They should have animations for your character depending on how many weapons he has stuffed down his pants. He could go from a normal walk to a comical straight-legged march that takes 3 minutes to get in and out of cars

"You can't wear that weapon with this outfit." 

• AmigaMix likes this

Neon_Dreaming
  • Neon_Dreaming

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 hours ago

I think to a certain extent less is more, V had the best selection of weapons yet but it felt stifling, scrolling through 5 assault rifles and 7 pistols felt excessive, I'd like to see a pared back inventory and ammunition limit along with meatier gun physics.

Regarding weapon types I'm not a big fan of being able to buy miniguns, light machine guns, and rpg's in Ammunation. Ammunation should sell handguns, semi-automatic rifles, and shotguns. If you want fully auto firearms an underground dealer would be your go to place, the underground dealer wouldn't be selling brand new merchandise, they would have older model guns, Uzi's, Fn Fals, AK variants, older M16 variants etc.

For the high end stuff there are special weapon merchants who you meet through side missions, whose trust you have to gain before being allowed to buy the good stuff, or maybe a heist, the military are delivering weapons in a convoy, will you hit it?
  • ViceOfLiberty likes this

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

The floor here will kill you, try to avoid it.

• Members

Posted 15 hours ago

No. I like having an arsenal down my pants. I don't care how unrealistic it is, for god's sake, I play Saint's Row games, watch stuff like Excel Saga, FLCL, and Gurren Lagann, and have a casual attitude in general.

GTA is at it's best when it's dumb fun. I know people say "Keep that sh*t in saint's row", but it's true. Look what happens whenever it tries to be all realistic and dramatic and sh*t. We have the downbeaten, grey, serious GTA IV, but with a titty joke making cousin and the same wacky free roam, just toned down a bit. We have GTA V, where the story once again is trying to be about the american dream and the very gritty and serious drama and past lives of the protagonist, but that's totally at odds with a game where you can initiate a cross between terminator and the blues brothers in free roam and have a huge police chase across the state while people say wacky sh*t on a talk radio the whole time.

It's complete and total tonal whiplash, and unless you get rid of everything that makes GTA GTA, from the wacky police chases to the huge weapon variety to the open world mayhem, you're always going to have that tonal whiplash whenever you try a serious story.

And the answer is not to take the dumb fun out of GTA. It's not. It never will be. GTA is dumb fun, has always been dumb fun, and if you take away the dumb fun, it won't be GTA anymore. It'll just be a mafia rip off.

• Am Shaegar likes this

Yinepi
  • Yinepi

Wepwawet Wannabe

• Members
  • Egypt

Posted 15 hours ago Edited by Yinepi, 15 hours ago.

just dont buy all the weapons then, content shouldn't be sacrificed because "muh realism!!!".

Sometimes it should, actually. Sadly, not in my favourite franchise - Grand Theft Auto. They tried to tone the game down with GTA IV and it got negative feedback. 

Yes Rockstar, give them everything. From the most unrealistic weapons to the most unrealistic cars. That is Grand Theft Auto for many of you. But let's not forget that there are many GTA games which were quite realistic in terms of weapons, vehicles etc.- for example GTA 1, GTA 3, GTA LCS, GTA CTW, GTA IV.....

Realism doesn't mean only fueling and washing the car, having realistic graphics and physics.

The most unrealistic GTA games are loved by most players: GTA SA, GTA V (Ugh)...

If only GTA 2 wasn't 2D game. It would be considered the best by 80% of the players.

Sad truth.

GTA2 did a great job at balancing high-tech fantasy with down-to-earth reality while still giving off that game-vibe. I'm not sure 80 percent would consider it the best, but GTA2 certainly was the best balanced game of them all. Personally, in GTA I've been more fond of the "quite realistic" (as you say) GTA games simply because they've had a better sense of belief and a better game atmosphere.

In a GTA game it feels nice to run through alleys hunting down handguns and SMGs until finally you hit the holy grail and acquire a RPG. That just makes the usage of it more fun when a weapon of its type is a rarity. in V that's all you see. Rocket Launchers everywhere.

It's odd I suppose. I love the fantasy over-the-top of Saints Row, but that's mostly because of how the Saints Row series approached open-world games - meaning Its general writing, art style, etc. But personally I feel GTA's approach to open world games works best when GTA does the balanced practical and focused approach like it has with GTA2 and the Liberty City games, and not that over-the-top approach like it has with SA and V.

• Algonquin Assassin likes this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

Osho's Assassin

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 14 hours ago

And the answer is not to take the dumb fun out of GTA. It's not. It never will be. GTA is dumb fun, has always been dumb fun, and if you take away the dumb fun, it won't be GTA anymore. It'll just be a mafia rip off.

Well the flip side to this argument is maybe people are starting to want more than just the same, run of the mill "dumb fun". As I said in my post I don't care so much if they keep the large arsenal of weapons. Just focus more on their performance and how they can be distinguished from each other.

I don't see the point having the ability to carry 20 pistols, shotguns, assault rifles etc if they all perform in a similar manner. Give the players a proper incentive to see what value these weapons actually have. Not just say "Here you go. Suit up like Rambo and away you go".

• Mister Pink and Yinepi like this

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 hours ago

But personally I feel GTA's approach to open world games works best when GTA does the balanced practical and focused approach like it has with GTA2 and the Liberty City games, and not that over-the-top approach like it has with SA and V.

You are undermining the whole point of "roleplaying" in GTA SA to begin with. It doesn't force you to use rocket launchers, nor heavy machine gun. Don't mix GTA SA with V. From Los Santos to Las Venturas, everything unlocks at a steady pace. Don't talk like you are wielding 1000s of weapons, and flying jetpack the moment CJ arrives to LS, and what kind of balanced approach are you talking when it comes to Liberty City games?

GTA 2 was spot on, and so was GTA III. GTA IV wasn't really balanced, it actually regressed by taking away a lot of what was great about GTA 2 and III, while forcing you to "roleplay" according to how the developers want you to play. It actually toned down not just the weaponry, but a lot of other things. GTA V actually managed to bring back the balance which was missing in GTA IV, although it still didn't achieve the same success as GTA SA when it comes to "balance"

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

Osho's Assassin

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 13 hours ago

But personally I feel GTA's approach to open world games works best when GTA does the balanced practical and focused approach like it has with GTA2 and the Liberty City games, and not that over-the-top approach like it has with SA and V.

I think Vice City also deserves a mention here with regards to practical use and focus like GTA II, GTA III, LCS and GTA IV.

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

The floor here will kill you, try to avoid it.

• Members

Posted 13 hours ago

Well the flip side to this argument is maybe people are starting to want more than just the same, run of the mill "dumb fun". As I said in my post I don't care so much if they keep the large arsenal of weapons. Just focus more on their performance and how they can be distinguished from each other.

I don't see the point having the ability to carry 20 pistols, shotguns, assault rifles etc if they all perform in a similar manner. Give the players a proper incentive to see what value these weapons actually have. Not just say "Here you go. Suit up like Rambo and away you go".

Which people? I mean, go on reddit, most of the time if there's a GTA Gif on r/gaming, it's usually someone doing something ridiculous, stupid, and fun.

If you're looking for a more limited experience, fair enough, but that's what other games are for. I like suiting up like rambo and having at everything. I'm not going to pretend everyone likes it, I'm very aware that a lot of people on this very forum would prefer a more subtle and mature experience.

But that's not GTA. Even GTA IV had penis shaped bowling alley signs. Subtlety and maturity just don't fit in with GTA. I don't mean that as an insult. Sometimes you get fed up with the news headlines and whatnot and you need a stupid, fun, violent free roaming experience to take the edge off. That's what GTA is. That's what it's always going to be, no matter how many stories with a subtext of "HAY GUYS THE AMERICAN DREAM IS DEAD" they make, no matter how many rough pasts they put in.

Hell, look at GTA IV, the subtle and subdued one. There's over the top and outrageous parodies everywhere. Even the mission bosses are parodies, with a few exceptions because they needed mafia stereotypes somewhere in the game. Look at the TV channels, the fast food restaurants, the car names, pretty much anything in the game not having to do with the main story. Do there look like subtle and subdued parodies? I mean, they might be if you're 14 or something, but when you're older it's shocking how non-subtle they are. They can still be funny, that LCPD commercial will always be relevant, but they're not subtle or mature.

But that's fine. That's what GTA is. It's stupid, it's fun, it's a delightful romp. Sure, we could have realistic weapon limitations, but then, where are the huge wacky ass blues brothers police chases gonna go? You can't pull those off with limited weaponry. And besides which, what if you find yourself wanting to use a rocket launcher, but the ability to store one in your pants is gone, and you didn't put one in the truck because this adventure was totally unscripted? It's a limiter on potential fun, and that's no fun at all.

• Am Shaegar likes this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

Osho's Assassin

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 10 hours ago

Which people? I mean, go on reddit, most of the time if there's a GTA Gif on r/gaming, it's usually someone doing something ridiculous, stupid, and fun.

If you're looking for a more limited experience, fair enough, but that's what other games are for. I like suiting up like rambo and having at everything. I'm not going to pretend everyone likes it, I'm very aware that a lot of people on this very forum would prefer a more subtle and mature experience.

But that's not GTA. Even GTA IV had penis shaped bowling alley signs. Subtlety and maturity just don't fit in with GTA. I don't mean that as an insult. Sometimes you get fed up with the news headlines and whatnot and you need a stupid, fun, violent free roaming experience to take the edge off. That's what GTA is. That's what it's always going to be, no matter how many stories with a subtext of "HAY GUYS THE AMERICAN DREAM IS DEAD" they make, no matter how many rough pasts they put in.

Hell, look at GTA IV, the subtle and subdued one. There's over the top and outrageous parodies everywhere. Even the mission bosses are parodies, with a few exceptions because they needed mafia stereotypes somewhere in the game. Look at the TV channels, the fast food restaurants, the car names, pretty much anything in the game not having to do with the main story. Do there look like subtle and subdued parodies? I mean, they might be if you're 14 or something, but when you're older it's shocking how non-subtle they are. They can still be funny, that LCPD commercial will always be relevant, but they're not subtle or mature.

But that's fine. That's what GTA is. It's stupid, it's fun, it's a delightful romp. Sure, we could have realistic weapon limitations, but then, where are the huge wacky ass blues brothers police chases gonna go? You can't pull those off with limited weaponry. And besides which, what if you find yourself wanting to use a rocket launcher, but the ability to store one in your pants is gone, and you didn't put one in the truck because this adventure was totally unscripted? It's a limiter on potential fun, and that's no fun at all.

Steady up there cowboy. No one's saying to get rid of the parodies and satire. I mean of course I'm aware of the hidden jokes and whatnot in GTA IV. That's what makes it such a great blend that it's capable to still have light hearted aspects (Sticking it to the it's too serious crowd) which meanwhile doesn't get in the way of the story it's telling.

But this isn't what I was talking about. What I meant is maybe some people are looking for more than JUST "dumb fun" (The keyword here being "just" as I'm not trying to omit it). Clearly judging by some of the comments in this thread more emphasis on weapon performance would be welcome.

Personally I don't care for the gimmicky "stupid" weapons, but I respect there's a choice available. Those of us who value practicality should also compensated for. To reiterate what I said before I miss the beefy weighted feeling of GTA IV's weapons and feel it was lost when R* decided to go all out with GTA V's. Guns often feel stock, lacking distinction beyond aesthetics with a lack of recoll being the most obvious downslide from GTA IV. I mean I like there's a choice to choose from an array, but when their usefulness suffers then something has to be fixed.

If R* can combine the weighted feeling of GTA IV's weapons with the variety and scope of San Andreas/GTA V we'll be onto a winner. I'm not saying to restrict the weapons, but I do want their individual qualities to be improved to give us another reason other than just "dumb fun" to make use.

• Mister Pink likes this

Yinepi
  • Yinepi

Wepwawet Wannabe

• Members
  • Egypt

Posted 9 hours ago Edited by Yinepi, 8 hours ago.

You are undermining the whole point of "roleplaying" in GTA SA to begin with. It doesn't force you to use rocket launchers, nor heavy machine gun. Don't mix GTA SA with V. From Los Santos to Las Venturas, everything unlocks at a steady pace. Don't talk like you are wielding 1000s of weapons, and flying jetpack the moment CJ arrives to LS, and what kind of balanced approach are you talking when it comes to Liberty City games?

GTA 2 was spot on, and so was GTA III. GTA IV wasn't really balanced, it actually regressed by taking away a lot of what was great about GTA 2 and III, while forcing you to "roleplay" according to how the developers want you to play. It actually toned down not just the weaponry, but a lot of other things. GTA V actually managed to bring back the balance which was missing in GTA IV, although it still didn't achieve the same success as GTA SA when it comes to "balance"

When you level up your skills to the Hitman level you'll wield two sawn-off shotguns that are just as powerful as a minigun for drastically less effort to acquire, and you don't have the option to remove one of them. That's not really balanced is it?

When I speak of balance, I'm not talking about how fast you unlock things in the game or even when you unlock them. I'm talking about how consistent the content is. In GTAV there is no balance in its weaponry, as almost every slot type/tier has that one specific weapon that, in relation to the rest of the weapon arsenal, is over-powered. And these over-powered weapons are too easy to acquire, and seemingly you are the only character that uses them so for example you'll never see cops use the AP pistol when you unlock it.

The weapons don't spawn naturally in the world when unlocked, they have over-inflated stats, and they're too easy to acquire once unlocked. All three of those combined causes a reverse effect of making GTAV's supposed "variety" purpose defeating because it encourages the player to use one specific tool set instead of experiment with them all. Variety does not always equate to balance.

• Algonquin Assassin and raebbitos like this

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted 8 hours ago

When you level up your skills to the Hitman level you'll wield two sawn-off shotguns that are just as powerful as a minigun for drastically less effort to acquire, and you don't have the option to remove one of them. That's not really balanced is it?

You talk about RPG and then respond by talking about wielding sawn off shotguns. You seem to be either confused or didn't read my post carefully where I said that the game doesn't force you to USE rocket launchers, nor heavy machine gun and [add any weapon here].

So, if you don't wield a sawn off shotgun then how does that ruin the game balance?

Your commenT ---  "In a GTA game it feels nice to run through alleys HUNTING DOWN handguns and SMGs until finally you hit the holy grail and acquire a RPG. That just makes the USAGE of it more fun when a weapon of its type is a rarity. in V that's all you see. Rocket Launchers everywhere."

It clearly talks about the USAGE and RARITY. Ifyou wield a sawn off shotgun or a rocket launcher, the choice is yours whether you WANT to use them or not. Its the player who ultimately has a ROLE to play in maintaining the balance. 

When I speak of balance, I'm not talking about how fast you unlock things in the game or even when you unlock them. I'm talking about how consistent the content is. In GTAV there is no balance in its weaponry, as almost every slot type/tier has that one specific weapon that, in relation to the rest of the weapon arsenal, is over-powered. And these over-powered weapons are too easy to acquire, and seemingly you are the only character that uses them so for example you'll never see cops use the AP pistol when you unlock it.

Oh dear, then how do you enjoy RPG's?? Be it skyrim, or great classics like Baldur's gate, etc. All offer a variety of weapons and tools/abilities/skills, etc in the game, and yes, there are balancing issues in which you CAN acquire over-powered weapons far too eaily, or early in the game, but like i said, in my experience all the RPG's and including GTA SA obviously try to eliminate these issues from granting you the maximum freedom and choices the way you want to "roleplay" 

How hard is that to grasp? 

Why are you asking the developers do that job for you? 

raebbitos
  • raebbitos

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 8 hours ago

Why the f*ck would a criminal be wearing holsters and sh*t strapped to him like he was some poser about to shoot up a school. lmao.

because concealed carry "lmao"

• xXxKAMIKAZExXx likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users