- - - - -

[V WIP] Aesthetic Added Trees

V WIP
3 replies to this topic
oCrapaCreeper
  • oCrapaCreeper

Soldier

• Members

Posted 04 September 2017 - 05:25 PM Edited by oCrapaCreeper, 05 September 2017 - 08:17 PM.

Note: Name that doesn't suck currently pending

GTAV's map is beautifully well made, even moreso with all the vegetation and trees it has. Unfortunately, due to limitations of the old gen consoles and design choices, a lot of these trees were removed, leaving a lot of empty and bare places on the map. In this mod, I intend to touch up these empty areas by adding new trees to them. To keep some variation, each tree is placed, rotated, re-sized (to be either fatter, skinnier, or scaled up or down multiple sizes), and tilted to match the terrain. I'm even playing around with making trees that appear fallen over. I utilize different kinds of trees depending on how much they add aesthetically. I'm not nearly done and intend to add a lot more.

Unlike most map mods for GTAV currently, this mod does not use scripthookv based map editors such as Menyoo or the one literally named map editor. It adds map data to the game (as DLC) using ymap files, which is how all the other map data in the game is stored. While this makes the mod a bit tedious to install and requires OpenIV, loading them into the game naturally means no prop limits, no weird stutter before loading, and increased performance. All editing is done using Codewalker, a lovely tool made by Dexyfex.

Anyone, enough blabbling, here's what I've done so far.
Spoiler

EDIT: Progress update:
Raton Canyon (added large cedar trees, fallen tree going over the creek is going to be put straight up due to collision issues)
Spoiler

Mount Chilliad
Spoiler

Pacific Bluffs (an area that had no trees at all aside from a few oaks. Probably not geographically accurate with L.A but oh well.)
Spoiler

Subject to change before I upload the first version. Some things may look out of place, and not all trees are rotated yet (I'm not happy with mount Gordo right now)

Known issues:
  • The collision for trees scaled to different sizes does not adjust, it uses the collision from the original size, meaning you can stand inside the giant trees. Unless you on purposely crash into trees I don't see this as a huge issue. While I would like to correct this rather sloppy oversight, I don't think there's a to do this in Codewalker yet, or I'm simply an experienced goof who doesn't know how to change it. (likely the second one, and if that's the case feel free to tell me how)
  • Some graphics mods that change the windspeed do not play well with the rescaled cedar trees and the leaves appear to move away from the branches and trunk. I can't fix this, vanilla and VisualV timecycles appear fine however.
  • While the trees will switch to lower quality textures and models the farther away you are, they do not have proper lod models for very far away like the regular trees do (the 2D looking billboard lods). The current lod distance is 6000 (some smaller trees that don't matter are lower) to ensure they are seen at all times and do not turn invisible after a certain distance. There is barely if any performance impact for me, but I'm unsure about other setups.
  • Some trees might feel like they want to defy gravity and not be properly stuck to the ground (I was sleep deprived when placing some of these)
Download

I'd love to read some feedback on where trees should or should not be. This is my first mod, afterall.
  • Tomasak, Mega, UltraGizmo64 and 5 others like this

D T
  • D T

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 September 2017 - 07:14 PM

Looks fantastic. The model rescaling definitely makes it a huge improvement over previous tree mods. Have you considered throwing the tree models into 3ds Max, rescaling them there, and exporting them as separate models? I'm not too familiar with modding, but I think it would solve collision/lod issues.

oCrapaCreeper
  • oCrapaCreeper

Soldier

• Members

Posted 04 September 2017 - 08:14 PM Edited by oCrapaCreeper, 04 September 2017 - 08:15 PM.

Looks fantastic. The model rescaling definitely makes it a huge improvement over previous tree mods. Have you considered throwing the tree models into 3ds Max, rescaling them there, and exporting them as separate models? I'm not too familiar with modding, but I think it would solve collision/lod issues.

It's something I'll probably look into.

Anyway, here's a progress update:

Raton Canyon (added large cedar trees, fallen tree going over the creek may or may not stay)
Spoiler

Mount Chilliad
Spoiler

Pacific Bluffs (an area that had no trees at all aside from a few oaks)
Spoiler

VisualV's calm winds seem to fix the cedar tree issue.

Download is coming in a bit, just fixing some stuff on mount gordo.

oCrapaCreeper
  • oCrapaCreeper

Soldier

• Members

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:50 PM Edited by oCrapaCreeper, 05 September 2017 - 02:00 AM.

And... here's a download for version1.

Before I upload it to gta5mods I want to ensure people can actually get it to work. If you've never installed an addon mod before I suggest reading the readme carefully.
  • Rachel Amber likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users