Aircraft handling upgrades.

20 replies to this topic
SILENCOM
  • SILENCOM

Car Meet Aficionado

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 August 2017 - 07:32 PM

Has anyone tested this to see which one is best? I've been flying the Rogue and it suffers badly from over input of the controls. I've set it to smooth and it's anything but. I'm not saying it's uncontrollable, but it's certainly twitchy as hell. Anyone know what works best with these new aircraft?

Gaffa™
  • Gaffa™

The controversial one

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 August 2017 - 07:40 PM

From my brief testing, which I've been asking other people to look into themselves... 

they don't do anything. 

Also I'm concerned whether the engine upgrades do anything too - I don't think my Rogue accelerated any quicker or had a higher top speed with the engine upgrade on, but I could be wrong. I'm going to get two on a runway for a grounded drag race, which should tell me whether they're doing anything. 

• Gridl0k and SILENCOM like this

impostor1971
  • impostor1971

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 August 2017 - 07:43 PM

Has anyone tested this to see which one is best? I've been flying the Rogue and it suffers badly from over input of the controls. I've set it to smooth and it's anything but. I'm not saying it's uncontrollable, but it's certainly twitchy as hell. Anyone know what works best with these new aircraft?

I'm wondering the same thing too.  I hate to drop $$ on Race Handling and then having it be ultra twitchy.

• SILENCOM likes this

SILENCOM
  • SILENCOM

Car Meet Aficionado

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:02 PM

From my brief testing, which I've been asking other people to look into themselves... 

they don't do anything. 

Also I'm concerned whether the engine upgrades do anything too - I don't think my Rogue accelerated any quicker or had a higher top speed with the engine upgrade on, but I could be wrong. I'm going to get two on a runway for a grounded drag race, which should tell me whether they're doing anything. 

I first put on race handling and max engine and I noticed a huge difference in handling and speed from the stock aircraft. I know that it changes, but I just don't want to spend 200k testing it out it I don't have to.

*update* I put the handling and engine back to stock. It's still a bit twitchy, but not nearly as bad. Looks like at least some of it has to do with the Rogue itself.

Gaffa™
  • Gaffa™

The controversial one

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:17 PM

Maybe it depends on aircraft, but I can't see and didn't feel or notice a difference with the Alpha-Z1: 

• impostor1971 likes this

Rewdalf
  • Rewdalf

Can't tell if I'm being sarcastic or not? I probably am.

• Facade
  • Bulgaria

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:20 PM

It certainly isn't noticeable unless put under a microscope.

Which I haven't done, so I can't say if it changes anything at all.

I assumed my Rogue was twitchy because I used race handling, but the mission variant seems to control the exact same and those are stock.

I kicked a lot of my more maneuverable planes down to Sport, while leaving Race on the bigger and bulkier ones thinking that it makes a difference.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was just a cash sink for those who buy without doing their research.

Which would be me...

• Arrows to Athens likes this

FallingAway
  • FallingAway

Square Civilian

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:21 PM

I tried all the handling options for the Rogue looking for a good balance, the only difference I can tell is from stock and any of the upgrades.  I don't notice a discernible difference between any of the upgrades themselves, all 3 seemed virtually the same to me.

impostor1971
  • impostor1971

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:22 PM

It's possible the handling aspect is broken and R* will patch it later...  maybe?

Wildfire_08
  • Wildfire_08

Who cares

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:25 PM

To those saying it isn't noticeable, that's absolute bollocks, unless you guys are just not good players and don't dogfight often.

But if you dogfight with Stock & Race, there's a huge difference. 

Logical considerable that you'd assume race handling is solely for that... Air racing... 

But still, I wanna know if anyone has tried smooth handling in dogfighting.

Also I literally posted a thread a while ago about the exact same thing, so you could have just responded in there. 

Gaffa™
  • Gaffa™

The controversial one

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:25 PM

There's also that thing called "placebo", you see, according to the game's information regarding the various mods you can have on these aircraft, it says "VMT_ENGINE" which would be for the engine upgrades, it says "VMT_ARMOUR" for the armour upgrades and "VMT_BRAKES" for the... whatever upgrade, which I'm assuming is actually the handling upgrade. 

• Gridl0k likes this

Gridl0k
  • Gridl0k

Rolling Thunder

• GTAF Crew
  • US-Virgin-Islands

Posted 30 August 2017 - 10:27 PM

It's possible the handling aspect is broken and R* will patch it later...  maybe?

A large number of modifications have zero tooltip help text, including the entirely new Handling options. It's just sh*tty, lazy game design and UI.

Gaffa™
  • Gaffa™

The controversial one

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:41 AM

So I just lined up two Rogues - one was completely stock and the other had upgrades - including engine. On the ground, there was zero difference in terms of accelerating performance, nothing. Got the video to prove it. So i thought "well maybe things are different once you get airborne" - but when I selected the same attitude as my target aircraft, we both pretty much went the same speed. 

I also tested to see if braking - on the ground - was improved by having the most expensive, Race Handling - and it wasn't - both aircraft, which got up to the same speed by accelerating at the same time, engaged their spoilers (brakes) at the same time and both stopped in the same place relative to their original position. 

So I'll have to check things out with other aircraft. 

• Gridl0k and Nossirag like this

IdRatherBeFlying
  • IdRatherBeFlying

Square Civilian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 August 2017 - 01:21 AM

So I just lined up two Rogues - one was completely stock and the other had upgrades - including engine. On the ground, there was zero difference in terms of accelerating performance, nothing. Got the video to prove it. So i thought "well maybe things are different once you get airborne" - but when I selected the same attitude as my target aircraft, we both pretty much went the same speed. 

I also tested to see if braking - on the ground - was improved by having the most expensive, Race Handling - and it wasn't - both aircraft, which got up to the same speed by accelerating at the same time, engaged their spoilers (brakes) at the same time and both stopped in the same place relative to their original position. 

So I'll have to check things out with other aircraft. 

If you are comparing speeds airborne, make sure you test above and below 1000 feet.  High performance aircraft have different top speeds depending on this altitude threshold (possibly 900 feet).

Gaffa™
  • Gaffa™

The controversial one

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 31 August 2017 - 01:26 AM

If you are comparing speeds airborne, make sure you test above and below 1000 feet.  High performance aircraft have different top speeds depending on this altitude threshold (possibly 900 feet).

I was don't you worry, and actually all aircraft apart from helicopters have "reduced speed" below that altitude - and you're right it's between 900 and 1000ft somewhere, it's about 370 z coordinate (in metres) if my memory serves me correct.

tommyguns
  • tommyguns

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 September 2017 - 04:52 AM Edited by tommyguns, 02 September 2017 - 04:56 AM.

It's funny how two people can experience the same thing in very different ways.

I only bought my first new plane tonight, I got myself the Rogue. Remembering this topic, I decided to take it on test flights before & after doing the engine upgrade. I saw a review of the plane by one of the few GTA youtubers I trust.

So, taking it out the hanger I noticed a difference right away, between the taxiing speed I was getting & what I saw in the video. The video plane was fully upgraded BTW. Taking it into the air, again I was seeing a clear difference between the stock handling & the video review, where race handling had been applied.

Looking at the video, race handling made it's responsiveness seem similar to the Mallard before they dialled it back again with the GR update.

After I applied the engine upgrade I noticed an obvious difference in taxiing speed & take off speed. Trying to gauge between the time taken to reach certain landmarks in the video, and me actually flying, is not ideal or likely to be exact. But from that rough method at least, the engine upgrade certainly seemed to effect speed.

Finally, I did both flights with stock handling. I don't understand how people can think stock is twitchy. As far as I'm concerned it's actually less responsive than i would like with stock handling. Steady & easy to manage. Like I said, a BIG difference between stock & what I saw of race handling in the video. If you think stock handling is too responsive, too twitchy, then you really shouldn't get Race.

I haven't seen the other setting in action so I can't comment on that.

Gaffa™
  • Gaffa™

The controversial one

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 September 2017 - 04:59 AM Edited by Gaffa™, 02 September 2017 - 04:59 AM.

Well I did some tests in single player with a Menyoo where I can change the upgrades mid-flight and noticed that the engine upgrades increased the aircraft's top speed anywhere from 5mph to 20mph extra but didn't really improve much else, and the handling upgrade increases the responsiveness of yaw (rudder control). It is only a slight change though, but it's "enough to feel". 

Pedinhuh
  • Pedinhuh

Get down on it!

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 02 September 2017 - 04:59 AM Edited by Pedinhuh, 02 September 2017 - 05:01 AM.

To anyone saying the handling tuning makes no difference:

If you own a Rogue, go ahead and fit it with a smooth handling.

Handles like a normal, unarmed plane, right?

Now fit it with stock handling and tell me there isn't a difference, And I will straight up tell you it's a lie because there is a whole lot of difference in both.

Also, dogfighting with smooth handling is a big NO in my book, turning radius gets too wide putting you in a disadvantage with a jet.

My personal recommendation for dogfights is either stock or sport.

Race handling is just bullsh*t for the Rogue, don't bother with it.

AStiffBreeze
  • AStiffBreeze

Player Hater

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 03 September 2017 - 08:06 AM

Well I did some tests in single player with a Menyoo where I can change the upgrades mid-flight and noticed that the engine upgrades increased the aircraft's top speed anywhere from 5mph to 20mph extra but didn't really improve much else, and the handling upgrade increases the responsiveness of yaw (rudder control). It is only a slight change though, but it's "enough to feel". 

OK, now that's interesting, thanks Gaffa. I bought the Alpha-Z1 and was hugely disappointed with yaw responsiveness, but thought that was a fixed thing. I left it on stock handling because it already felt too twitchy with respect to pitch and roll, but for me I'd prefer responsive yaw controls above everything else in a stunt plane... so it looks like I might have to try the race handling out.

sleepwalk1980
  • sleepwalk1980

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • England

Posted 03 September 2017 - 09:00 AM

So it seems that stock or sport handling is the best for the Rogue?

Any other engine ugrades are neither here nor there?

yaybacon
  • yaybacon

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 3 weeks ago

I spend WAY too much time in planes trying to cut players in half with the wingtips and fly off into the distance like I was never even there...  From my experience the handling upgrades don't affect the maximum speed the plane will turn, they control the speed it takes to get to that maximum.  It is like adding power steering, you still have the same turn radius, just you can turn the steering wheel quicker.  The rogue has a weirdness to it where even if your control stick is only held 5%, it still accelerates to 100% as fast of a roll as if you held the stick at 100%.. Maybe the intention was to make it easier for keyboard flyers, completely ignoring balancing it for analog stick users.   I'm literally inches away from setting a macro on my controller that activates from a secret key-combo for only while I'm in the rogue and alpha. to tap controls instead of hold them =.= keep those 2 stupid planes from spinning out of control..  and has anyone noticed that the new planes throttle persists after you let go of the accelerator/brake instead of going to 50% like it does in the older planes.. you can achieve something like, 30%,50%,70% throttle with your hands off the control by tapping it

• Skeve613 and Forza Harrd like this

Gaffa™
  • Gaffa™

The controversial one

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 2 weeks ago

I spend WAY too much time in planes trying to cut players in half with the wingtips and fly off into the distance like I was never even there...  From my experience the handling upgrades don't affect the maximum speed the plane will turn, they control the speed it takes to get to that maximum. 

They do increase the turn rates. Roll in a helicopter with stock handling and then roll in a helicopter with race handling - of course if you're not on PC the only one you can use is the Havok. You'll see that the actual turning performance or effect is multiplied.

It's easily noticeable in single player on PC - fly an aircraft holding down right rudder and without letting go of the rudder control, upgrade it to race handling. You'll immediately see an improvement (when the accelerating up to speed factor is negated because the control is already being held). 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users