5 replies to this topic
Hackmet
  • Hackmet

Player Hater

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 3 weeks ago

Hey Guys,

I wanted to introduce you to my current game project! As I was always a big fan of GTA2 I also really enjoyed its multiplayer.. that... well... never really worked well when we wanted it to work  :facedesk:

Sooooo... I decided to give it a try and make more or less of a remake of the GTA2 multiplayer. I do not want to have a 1:1 copy but want to move everything to a setting that I personally like much: Cuba. However, I definitely want to keep the essential feeling of GTA2 with its mechanics.

So far the project is a one-man-job (myself...) and I do not have tremendously much time to spend for that project, so everything is evolving relatively slowly. However, I have to say that Iam progressing better than I expected, because I never really learned programming. But with UnrealEngine4 you need surprisingly little knowledge to make something that actually works^^

OK, enough words, here some screenshots (please consider everything you see nothing more than placeholders):

screenshot128smc.jpg

--> An image of a street that I think could be a typical street of the remake. Later it shall resemble streets of Havana, for instance.

screenshot2jcsg1.jpg

--> Overview over a larger spot: Of course I have to include landmarks and recognizable buildings to allow for a better orientation.

However, the level design is really still in its very infancy. Iam currently spending most time for integrating the most basic gameplay elements. Here you can see a video of an early vehicle ai test:

And a more recent video showing that entering and exiting vehicles so far essentially works as well:

I hope to progress nicely with it and to be able to catch the spirit of the original GTA2, but set in a fresh setting. And, thanks to a modern engine, a working multiplayer support :D

I would like to hear what you guys think about the project. As Iam still very early in the entire progress there are still many options to adapt/change/optimize all the aspects :)

Thanks for reading,

best wishes,

Hackmet

• Sektor, Duxfever, BBBean and 4 others like this

Sektor
  • Sektor

GTAMP.com

• GTA Series Staff
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Sektor, 3 weeks ago.

I'm interested. The rotational controls and keyboard aiming are kind of what makes GTA2 multiplayer for me, so I hope you keep that option.

The other GTA2 clones all went directional and mouse aiming which sounds cool but doesn't feel as fun to me.
  • BBBean and Ivan1997GTA like this

Hackmet
  • Hackmet

Player Hater

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 3 weeks ago

Yeah, with that you are actually addressing a key feature that I did not fully got my final opinion about.. I definitely wanted to play around with mouse aiming but generally would like to keep it as close to the original as possible. So probably will not go for mouse support (except in menus, of course). Seen from what we are used to in modern games the old control setup seems weird and uncomfortable, indeed, but I also really liked the behavior in original GTA2. So, as said, I want to try to reproduce that general feeling.

But... what exactly do you mean with "directional" vs. "rotational" ?

Can you maybe point out any GTA2 clone that came with mouse aiming? I would like to have a look how it feels; that would probably spare me the effort to implement it myself for figuring out that it is not what I want to have^^

Sektor
  • Sektor

GTAMP.com

• GTA Series Staff
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Sektor, 3 weeks ago.

I actually mixed up directional and rotational in my last post but I edited it now.

Rotational basically tank controls like Resident Evil/GTA2. If you push left in GTA2, the player just rotates left on the spot.

In Street Arena or most other games, the player walks left if you push left. It makes for very different combat/gameplay. Retro City Rampage has the option for either control method.

Both of these top down games use mouse aiming:

http://store.steampo...0/Street_Arena/

http://store.steampo...8600/Geneshift/

Hackmet
  • Hackmet

Player Hater

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 3 weeks ago

Ah, ok, now I understand what you mean. As I will have to remake the character movement anyways (currently Iam using the TopDownShooter-Prefab that is delivered by epic) I can test a bit. But as said, I tend to keep it the original way ;-)

Hooooly Sh*t, that Street Arena game hurts both my eyes and my ears^^ 

BBBean
  • BBBean

Mad Islander

• Members
  • None

Posted A day ago Edited by BBBean, A day ago.

Very cool! :p Following.

Seen from what we are used to in modern games the old control setup seems weird and uncomfortable, indeed, but I also really liked the behavior in original GTA2. So, as said, I want to try to reproduce that general feeling.

Hehe, today's gamers can't comprehend keyboard only control? :p

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users