Photo

Getting A Gaming PC, Suggestions?

40 replies to this topic
ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 August 2017 - 02:53 PM Edited by ClaudeIzABadAzz, 10 September 2017 - 11:40 AM.

So, I'm getting a gaming PC, either purchased, or I'm getting a friend to build it. I know nothing about PCs, but after doing some research, I've concluded that I should be able to run some of my newer games such as GTA IV, Mafia II and Mafia III with:
I7 Processor or a processor atleast 2.5 GHZ and 8GB ram.
That's all I know so far, and obviously my older games such GTA III, will run at a breeze with these specs. I'm hoping to run the newer games at 60 frames. I also want to run PPSSPP (GTA LCS & VCS) at 60.bAny suggestions? P.S what ever you suggest, don't suggest building one, I already thought of that, but there's no chance.
Sorry for my sh*tty English.

Dealux
  • Dealux

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 27 August 2017 - 03:53 PM

What's your budget and where do you live?

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 August 2017 - 04:23 PM

So, I'm getting a gaming PC, either purchased, or I'm getting a friend to build it. I know nothing about PCs, but after doing some research, I've concluded that I should be able to run some of my newer games such as GTA IV, Mafia II and Mafia III with:
That's all I know so far, and obviously my older games such GTA III, will run at a breeze with these specs. I'm hoping to run the newer games at 60 frames. I also want to run PPSSPP (GTA LCS & VCS) at 60.bAny suggestions? P.S what ever you suggest, don't suggest building one, I already thought of that, but there's no chance.
Sorry for my sh*tty English, I'm tired asf.

you forgot the most important part: the graphics card

AiŽaCobŽa
  • AiŽaCobŽa

Ban Roulette Winner 2017!

• Members
  • Antarctica
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2017

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:45 AM

Sorry for my sh*tty English, I'm tired asf.

We need your budget if we're gonna help you....

What devices have you looked at so far?

ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 September 2017 - 01:18 PM

Wait, everyone scrap what I said earlier. My budget is $2000, however, I have found a desktop that I might purchase instead.

http://www.msy.com.a...TEMS/ryzen7.pdf

Look at Performance Pack A5, $1699.

One of my cousins asked the tech guy at his work about this desktop, and the tech guy said that this desktop will smash any game out the park, including Forza Horzion 3. I live in Australia.

Dealux
  • Dealux

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 09 September 2017 - 02:31 PM

That system has a GTX 1060. Pretty weak for a $1700 system. For $2000 you can buy a much better PC by picking individual parts. If there's any place where you can buy parts instead that would be better.

Acid Burn
  • Acid Burn

pool on the roof

• The Yardies
  • Unknown
  • Super Special Gold Star 2006
    Draw Contest Booby Prize 2016
    Campaign Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016
    14K Doggo/Catto-Chop Winner 2017

Posted 09 September 2017 - 02:42 PM

whilst it's good hardware and I know aus stuff is priced higher I just specced it out on Newegg AU (minus the case):

Ryzen 1600 - 270 AUD 

Average priced 1060 6GB as it doesn't specify which model - roughly 350 AUD

16GB 2X8GB DDR4 (Geil) - 150 AUD

Plextor M.2 256GB SSD - 113 AUD

2TB Toshiba 7200 HDD - 80AUD

Fenvi FV8801 AC WiFi/BT adapter - 48AUD

Masterbox Lite Case - 55AUD

Windows 10 Home - 135AUD

There's no mention of a board so I just chucked on a Gigabyte AM4 B350 board at 126AUD and a Thermaltake 600w 80+ Gold PSU at 100AUD which brings the total cost $1427 AUD. Factoring in assembly etc it's not a bad price but you can definitely do better for 1700AUD or even your budget of 2000. I'd also be wary of the fact they don't specify what gpu brand, motherboard, or even the PSU used.

For 1700 which is the same price as that build you should be getting something like a 1070 (or even 1080)/7600k rig.

Dealux
  • Dealux

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 09 September 2017 - 05:07 PM Edited by ΣΓ, 09 September 2017 - 05:17 PM.

Yeah. There's no point in opting for a 6 core if you're not doing anything other than gaming. Also, the i7 6700K and 7700K have higher clocks which actually count for gaming performance (the latter can reach 5 GHz or close with adequate cooling).

You might be able to build a i7 7700K & GTX 1080 Ti system for $2000 depending on where you live (assuming you're not also getting a monitor with that money). Such a rig will utterly destroy any game that you throw at it but it would be a bit of a waste for 1080p (1440p is more suitable since the GPU can really show its power at higher resolutions).

Edit: Where I live, you can definitely build a super decent rig like that for about $2000. You can throw an M.2 SSD in it as well as a 2 TB HDD.

Acid Burn
  • Acid Burn

pool on the roof

• The Yardies
  • Unknown
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 09 September 2017 - 06:14 PM Edited by SLUMPUSSY, 09 September 2017 - 06:29 PM.

The Ti may be a reach for that budget as on Newegg AU a 7700k/Asrock Z270 combo deal, Zotac 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, 256GB M.2, 2TB HDD and 750w EVGA PSU is already at 2065AUD without a case and aftermarket cooler if that is needed. I mean you could probably remove the M.2 drive in favour of a case and cooler although if you're at a 2k budget I'm sure you have a little breathing room to go over :p I guess it just depends on whatever OP will be using it for, what sort of monitor he's running etc pointless going 1080 Ti if hes just running an old 1080p'er.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 09 September 2017 - 07:35 PM

At that sort of price a 1070 or 1080 and an M.2 makes more sense than going 1080ti. Unless you've got a 144Hz, 2K monitor.

Acid Burn
  • Acid Burn

pool on the roof

• The Yardies
  • Unknown
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 10 September 2017 - 10:37 AM

Yeah speccing it out on Newegg and a 7700k, Z270 board, MSI 1080 (also holy sh*t that green EVGA card is disgusting), 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 250GB M.2, 750w Seasonic, Hyper 212 and a decent case cuts it close to 2k. If you wanted to keep prices down OP could opt for a 1070 instead but if you're already at a 2k budget I don't think it'd be a problem :p

ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:39 AM Edited by ClaudeIzABadAzz, 10 September 2017 - 11:39 AM.

Ok, I have no idea what you guys are talking about, could you try and dumb it down a bit? Thanks. I'll get my cousin to look at this soon.

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 September 2017 - 12:15 PM Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83, 10 September 2017 - 12:19 PM.

Ok, I have no idea what you guys are talking about, could you try and dumb it down a bit? Thanks. I'll get my cousin to look at this soon.

TL:DR they are advising you to buy a desktop with at least a graphics card like the GTX1080 and a processor like the intel i7-7700k

IMO: 1700$ for a desktop with only a gtx 1060 seems a bit high

Acid Burn
  • Acid Burn

pool on the roof

• The Yardies
  • Unknown
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 10 September 2017 - 01:35 PM

tldr the prebuilt is an alright rig but for the price you could do way better as shown by the component suggestions above :)

ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:49 PM

tldr the prebuilt is an alright rig but for the price you could do way better as shown by the component suggestions above :)

Yeah.....but I don't understand any of that component stuff., like I said earlier, I'm not good with PCs. I just want a PC that can run Forza Hoirzon 3 on 60fps max settings. That's what I want.

Dealux
  • Dealux

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 11 September 2017 - 12:23 AM Edited by ΣΓ, 11 September 2017 - 12:31 AM.

Can you at least answer some basic questions? Like where you live exactly? You could potentially order a list of components online and have them assembled by the same company. Your money would be much better spent that way.

For Forza Horizon 3 ultra 60 FPS in 1080p you would need at least a GTX 1070 which would be a good pair with at least an i5 7600K (no point in buying Skylake at this time).

Edit: The GPU in your pre-built system of choice will not do 1080p 60 FPS ultra reliably (if at all). It's also overpriced.

Edit 2: So you live in Australia I take it. What popular PC parts sites are there in Australia?

Bare
  • Bare

fat

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 11 September 2017 - 12:32 AM

buy a console

ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 September 2017 - 01:56 AM

Edit 2: So you live in Australia I take it. What popular PC parts sites are there in Australia?

I don't know. There is this one place called MSY - which is where I found the desktop on that PDF file I sent. 

Acid Burn
  • Acid Burn

pool on the roof

• The Yardies
  • Unknown
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:55 AM

Yeah.....but I don't understand any of that component stuff., like I said earlier, I'm not good with PCs. I just want a PC that can run Forza Hoirzon 3 on 60fps max settings. That's what I want.

you should really try educate yourself on the components/workings of a pc.

the cpu (in this case were mentioning something like an intel 7600/7700k) is essentially the "brain of the PC" despite just being a small chip which handles all the processing.

the graphics card (in this case were mentioning nvidia 1070/1080s) is what handles everything related to graphics, games, etc.

ram is random access memory, these are sticks of storage that store the data of whatever programs are running at the current time. you'll want to make sure theres enough RAM to support the games you want to run.

the motherboard is what everything connects up to, think of it as a central nervous system or a spine or something. all of the components mentioned will connect to this.

the power supply is what powers the whole PC, you'll need something that can adequately power the whole PC hence why I recommended a 750w. dont cheap out on a PSU.

the hdd (hard disk drive) is your standard hard drive storage, an ssd (solid state drive) is storage that uses flash chips instead of an actual disc like a HDD and as such its much faster and an M.2 SSD is an SSD that uses a different connector than normal HDDs/SSDs which allows it to be faster.

the cpu cooler is essentially what keeps the processor cool and it generally consists of a metal heatsink and a fan.

the case is what you'll put all of the above components in, as long as the case will fit all of the components which one you pick is up to you aesthetically.

most of the parts we've mentioned are pretty much your top consumer tier parts whereas the prebuilt machine you mentioned is awful value for the price. out of those prebuilts the "performance pack A6" or "performance ryzen 1700" would be better suited but still underwhelming for the price compared to a custom build.

ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:49 AM

you should really try educate yourself on the components/workings of a pc.

the cpu (in this case were mentioning something like an intel 7600/7700k) is essentially the "brain of the PC" despite just being a small chip which handles all the processing.

the graphics card (in this case were mentioning nvidia 1070/1080s) is what handles everything related to graphics, games, etc.

ram is random access memory, these are sticks of storage that store the data of whatever programs are running at the current time. you'll want to make sure theres enough RAM to support the games you want to run.

the motherboard is what everything connects up to, think of it as a central nervous system or a spine or something. all of the components mentioned will connect to this.

the power supply is what powers the whole PC, you'll need something that can adequately power the whole PC hence why I recommended a 750w. dont cheap out on a PSU.

the hdd (hard disk drive) is your standard hard drive storage, an ssd (solid state drive) is storage that uses flash chips instead of an actual disc like a HDD and as such its much faster and an M.2 SSD is an SSD that uses a different connector than normal HDDs/SSDs which allows it to be faster.

the cpu cooler is essentially what keeps the processor cool and it generally consists of a metal heatsink and a fan.

the case is what you'll put all of the above components in, as long as the case will fit all of the components which one you pick is up to you aesthetically.

most of the parts we've mentioned are pretty much your top consumer tier parts whereas the prebuilt machine you mentioned is awful value for the price. out of those prebuilts the "performance pack A6" or "performance ryzen 1700" would be better suited but still underwhelming for the price compared to a custom build.

OK so you'd recommend the performance pack A6? Thanks for your help, but there's no chance I'm gonna get my head around these components. No chance. I'll try, you have my word, I will try, but there is no way I'm going to understand this stuff. 

Acid Burn
  • Acid Burn

pool on the roof

• The Yardies
  • Unknown
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:54 AM

i'd recommend building it yourself or finding somewhere to do it but if you're dead set on a prebuilt and dont have much choice then that's probably your best bet.

ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 September 2017 - 12:01 PM

i'd recommend building it yourself or finding somewhere to do it but if you're dead set on a prebuilt and dont have much choice then that's probably your best bet.

MSY the place I mentioned before - they build Desktops for you. You can pick the certain components, but as I said earlier, I have no clue what I'm talking about. I was quoted on a ddesktop, but I won't bother showing the specs because it's actually worse than the Perfomance Pack A5.

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 September 2017 - 03:39 PM

OK so you'd recommend the performance pack A6? Thanks for your help, but there's no chance I'm gonna get my head around these components. No chance. I'll try, you have my word, I will try, but there is no way I'm going to understand this stuff. 

the "hardest" part for someone that never did, is picking up the right parts, what motherboard you need for the processor you want and what type of ram it uses

the actual building process is easy, and takes 40 minutes give or take. the cpu only fits on the cpu socket, ram same thing etc

Dealux
  • Dealux

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:05 PM

MSY the place I mentioned before - they build Desktops for you. You can pick the certain components, but as I said earlier, I have no clue what I'm talking about. I was quoted on a ddesktop, but I won't bother showing the specs because it's actually worse than the Perfomance Pack A5.

Their site is a little basic. You have to look at a PDF to see the prices and components they have. If you can visit them at their location then they might be able to help you out. I think you could easily build an i7 7700K and GTX 1080 system for $2000. You can add 16 GB of DDR4 RAM, an SSD for Windows(M.2 would be nice but not necessarily required), and a 2 TB HDD. The rest of components don't matter too much, except for the PSU which should a high quality one (80+ efficiency rating). If they can help you out you should mention the suggestions in this topic and ask them how much the assembly process will cost you (plus testing, presumably).

the actual building process is easy, and takes 40 minutes give or take. the cpu only fits on the cpu socket, ram same thing etc

Never underestimate a noob's ability to break things. I spent like an hour trying to assemble a CPU cooler and I know plenty of stuff about PC component assembly.

Shermhead
  • Shermhead

sivispacem keeps editing my posts and profile info

• BUSTED!
  • Mars

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:19 PM

anyone know of any good PCs that can run the newest games for an affordable price? Don't wanna be paying $1000 or some sh*t

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:33 PM

...affordable...

with ram prices going through the roof and Gpu's high prices due to miners.. affordable is not the right word i would use in pc gaming

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

♪ ♫

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award
    Draw Contest Winner 2016

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:35 PM

anyone know of any good PCs that can run the newest games for an affordable price? Don't wanna be paying $1000 or some sh*t

You can buy whatever you want. You can pay $100 as long as you can live with 1 FPS or so at low settings 720p. It all depends on your demands. $1000 is a completely realistic budget for a PC.

Shermhead
  • Shermhead

sivispacem keeps editing my posts and profile info

• BUSTED!
  • Mars

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:06 AM

but you can do so much other sh*t with $1000 such as paying the bills or buying a used car

ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:19 AM

Their site is a little basic. You have to look at a PDF to see the prices and components they have. If you can visit them at their location then they might be able to help you out. I think you could easily build an i7 7700K and GTX 1080 system for $2000. You can add 16 GB of DDR4 RAM, an SSD for Windows(M.2 would be nice but not necessarily required), and a 2 TB HDD. The rest of components don't matter too much, except for the PSU which should a high quality one (80+ efficiency rating). If they can help you out you should mention the suggestions in this topic and ask them how much the assembly process will cost you (plus testing, presumably).

Never underestimate a noob's ability to break things. I spent like an hour trying to assemble a CPU cooler and I know plenty of stuff about PC component assembly.

They quoted me on a desktop, I'll post the specs later.

Acid Burn
  • Acid Burn

pool on the roof

• The Yardies
  • Unknown
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:33 AM

every time I have to do anything related with a CPU cooler I want to bang my head off a f*cking wall. When I was 10 I managed to somehow remove an Arctic cooler to "clean" it and the f*cking Athlon I was running came out with it stuck to the bottom of the heatsink and in my young naiveness I tried to put it back into the socket all in one piece - lots of bent pins.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users