Quantcast

» «
Photo

What is the standard for reporting

Best Answer Vanzant, 26 August 2017 - 03:43 AM

So what I'm seeing here is you don't understand why you're getting warned for insulting another member but nothing seems to be done about the other guy who insulted you first.

Ok, the deal is when you get  warned for your posts you're hearing it from me. The only other people who would know about it is if another Moderator checks your warn log. I don't send a warning to a member on this board and then go bragging about it to the other guy you got into a conflict with. I'm not here to send warnings and fist bump the other member. That's crazy. No one does that. You're not going to get a status update. You send me the report and I'll deal with the person you reported.

Sometimes it seems like nothing was done because some of the people who get a warning continue to behave like they can't be stopped. If that seems to be the case then report that member again.

Sometimes it seems as if nothing was done because the post isn't removed...this happens because when a member is warned the warning links to the offending post. Often I leave it open so it cannot be disputed. Most times the post is removed or edited.

When you send a report you can't possibly expect a staff member to jump on that report as if we were just sitting here waiting for sh*t to go down. Nor will saying my name three times make me appear in a thread like Beetleguise. ( Although if you're Megan Fox I will do my best )

With that said, send a report and explain what the member is doing wrong. Move on with the discussion or if you think it's best ...find another discussion to partake in so you don't feel like you have to have the last word and win the prize which if you haven't figured it out by now there's no prize.

Go to the full post

8 replies to this topic
Alpha Demigod
  • Alpha Demigod

Worthless deadbeat scumbag who deserves to die

• BUSTED!
  • Canada
  • Best Closet Brony 2016

Posted 25 August 2017 - 10:56 PM Edited by Alpha Demigod, 25 August 2017 - 11:02 PM.

These are Sivispacem's exact instructions.

The problem is your incessant need to respond to obvious trolling despite being told multiple times not to.

Put simply, don't respond to trolling. You've been here long enough to know the rules, and you've been warned enough times to know better.

If you'd simply reported the other posters, they'd be the ones getting a bollocking, not you.

So I've talked about this numerous times before and we haven't really gone anywhere.

The story usually goes:
someone insults me, I insult back, mod swoops in and hands out temps.

After some lengthy discussion we came to the agreement that instead engaging the initial aggressor, I should simply report them and lean back to sip my lemon chardonnay.

I've done just that. Yet still nothing is happening.

But still no actions. In fact, the mods seem to just join in on the circle-jerk.

Curious.

I don't mean this in an offensive way. I'm just curious about the usual turnaround time on reports, or whether you get a "rejection notice" when your report doesn't go through.

I mean, I get it. Sometimes I say controversial stuff, and I have sociopolitical views that others may not agree with. But I ALWAYS voice these in a civil manner with intelligent discourse in mind. I never resort to personal attacks and flaming as the initial aggressor.

But when people do such to me, it seems that there is a "blind eye" turned to it. As if I am held to a different standard. That I can be flamed with impunity, but the moment I dish out some venomous verbage of my own I get infractions.

It's all quite strange. But I do understand this is an internet forum, not the supreme court. Moderators are not judges. You would hope that they don't let personal bias or vendetta come in the way of their moderation, but that's not always the case. And you can't expect otherwise.

I know a lot of the mods here don't like me personally, and as such when they see other members trying to insult me they just laugh along with it. But that's besides the point.
  • Android and ceszayers like this

Alpha Demigod
  • Alpha Demigod

• BUSTED!
  • Canada
  • Best Closet Brony 2016

Posted 25 August 2017 - 11:23 PM

Update: I guess I've come to realize that I don't spend enough time on the forum to really care about the finer details of its moderation.

So I guess you guys can lock this without answer, if you want. If you want to answer it, that's cool too.

I'm going to repost something I've said before:

You see there's something called the "consumer value framework" which pretty much states that a person decides to make a decision based on the objective costs/benefits of that decision.

What do I gain from posting here? The ability to talk about games and random sh*t.

What do I gain from trying to be the little boy who could and fight for my people on the internet forum against the rulers? Um...cookies?

And what I can lose? Time that can be spent playing games, fapping, studying, playing with my neighbour's dog, making movies, etc. The list is endless.

In other words, there's simply no "point" in my entering a verbal joust to stuff here. The brownie points I might get for being the Nelson Mandela of GTAForums are not worth the time investment. The time investment might be the 10-15 minutes it takes me to type up the post. It doesn't seem like a lot of time but it puts into perspective how tiny the brownie points really are.

Particularly because there's no fixed "ruleset" to govern the discussion. On a debate team, there are strict rules everyone must follow to ensure a fair argument. This is a privately owned forum and thus is not subject to that. Hell, theoretically Tank could just ban someone for the lulz.

I only post here in brief 2-3 week stints, then go on hiatus, then come back.

So even if there IS unfairness, objectively and undeniably, the time investment I'd need to combat said unfairness is not worth the gains I'd get from defeating said unfairness.

I have a pretty thick hide and can easily shut-out any flaming towards me. But the academic in me likes seeing any sort of social imbalance and addressing it. I dunno. It's weird.

So maybe this isn't really worth discussing. It'd be a waste of both your time and mine.

That's kind of my new approach. Be a smart businessman and use an asset for all of its gain while incurring none of the liability. In other words, have my fun posting on gaming threads and such while wasting not a second of my time in a discussion that has no fruitful gain.
  • ceszayers likes this

The Deadite
  • The Deadite

ILL SWALLOW YOUR SOUL

• The Yardies
  • None
  • 2nd Prettiest Snowflake 2017
    Most Improved 2016
    Crew Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Most Unwanted Medal 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 26 August 2017 - 12:47 AM

I mean, I get it. Sometimes I say controversial stuff, and I have sociopolitical views that others may not agree with. But I ALWAYS voice these in a civil manner with intelligent discourse in mind...

http://dictionary.ca.../ingles/deluded
  • Voit Turyv, ceszayers and Thugazi like this

Thugazi
  • Thugazi

chichi get the yayo

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 26 August 2017 - 12:49 AM

After some lengthy discussion we came to the agreement that instead engaging the initial aggressor, I should simply report them and lean back to sip my lemon chardonnay.

I've done just that. Yet still nothing is happening.

But still no actions. In fact, the mods seem to just join in on the circle-jerk.

You were being an edgy dick sh*t. The mods aren't obligated to take a completely neutral stance, they're free to have their opinions. 

Post here instead; https://www.reddit.com/r/GTAForums/

• The Deadite, ceszayers and Arrow like this

Vanzant
  • Vanzant

おっぱい 23V

• United-States

Posted 26 August 2017 - 03:43 AM   Best Answer

So what I'm seeing here is you don't understand why you're getting warned for insulting another member but nothing seems to be done about the other guy who insulted you first.

Ok, the deal is when you get  warned for your posts you're hearing it from me. The only other people who would know about it is if another Moderator checks your warn log. I don't send a warning to a member on this board and then go bragging about it to the other guy you got into a conflict with. I'm not here to send warnings and fist bump the other member. That's crazy. No one does that. You're not going to get a status update. You send me the report and I'll deal with the person you reported.

Sometimes it seems like nothing was done because some of the people who get a warning continue to behave like they can't be stopped. If that seems to be the case then report that member again.

Sometimes it seems as if nothing was done because the post isn't removed...this happens because when a member is warned the warning links to the offending post. Often I leave it open so it cannot be disputed. Most times the post is removed or edited.

When you send a report you can't possibly expect a staff member to jump on that report as if we were just sitting here waiting for sh*t to go down. Nor will saying my name three times make me appear in a thread like Beetleguise. ( Although if you're Megan Fox I will do my best )

With that said, send a report and explain what the member is doing wrong. Move on with the discussion or if you think it's best ...find another discussion to partake in so you don't feel like you have to have the last word and win the prize which if you haven't figured it out by now there's no prize.

• SWEETSAPRIK, fashion and Femme Fatale like this

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 August 2017 - 06:34 AM Edited by Am Shaegar, 26 August 2017 - 06:34 AM.

Please excuse for posting about my own issue in this topic as I didn't want to create another thread entirely.

To the respected admin/mods

Can you please tell me why is the display image on my profile ( which is a GIF ) stationary and not animated? Any suggestions to make it animated, since the upload size isn't too big for the site to handle.

That's all. Thanks!

Tacymist
  • Tacymist

Threadbare tapestry unwinding slow

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Doggo-Chop Winner 2016
    Most GIFted Member
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 26 August 2017 - 06:43 AM

Animated gif images need to be 100 pixels or smaller to work I think.

gPHPpGa.gif

Try this one and it should work.

• The Deadite and Am Shaegar like this

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 August 2017 - 06:47 AM

It worked. Thank you so much.

Alpha Demigod
  • Alpha Demigod

• BUSTED!
  • Canada
  • Best Closet Brony 2016

Posted 26 August 2017 - 06:24 PM

A straight answer in a sea of uncertainty, ambiguity, and inconsistency. Thank you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users