Quantcast

» «
Photo

Is Grand Theft Auto VI ever gonna happen?

17 replies to this topic
Darkle
  • Darkle

Player Hater

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:49 PM Edited by Darkle, 22 August 2017 - 06:59 PM.

Grand Theft Auto V, the latest title from the GTA series, launched almost four years ago, on September 17, 2013. It's the biggest, most ambitious and most advanced GTA game ever created by Rockstar North, which probably started developing it in 2008 (in fact, when you launch it, before the actual loading screen with all the various artworks, you can see that the copyright for the game was registered in 2008, so we can suppose that Rockstar started developing the game at around that time). That means that next year, when supposedly Red Dead Redemption 2 will come out, Rockstar will have worked on GTA V for an entire decade. That's a lot of time for a single videogame! They never did something like that before, neither did any major gaming company, as far as I know.

That has happened, as we all know, primarily because of a new, different method that Rockstar attempted to for the very first time with GTA V and, in particular, GTA Online: microtransactions. In fact, thanks to Shark Cards, Rockstar have made a grand $700 million just in the time period between October 2015 and 2016. That of course was the main incentive for them to continue developing free content for GTA Online. But I don't think it is the only one.

Recently Take-Two revealed that GTA V sold 80 million copies worldwide as of May of this year from its initial release, in 2013, and we're talking about only physical copies! This has also been possible for Rockstar only by continuing developing free, new content for the game. (the 'game as a service' business model)

So, because of these reasons, as Take-Two's CEO Strauss Zelnick said during an interview: <<Rockstar's activities have been transformed by Grand Theft Auto Online.>>

These transformations of Rockstar's activities Zelnick is talking about are, in particular:

• Rockstar's frequency to publish a new game: between the release of Grand Theft Auto IV (2008) and Grand Theft Auto V (2013) Rockstar Games published four titles (excluding GTA IV's Episodes from Liberty City, Red Dead Redemption's Undead Nightmare, and the remastered version of Bully for mobile devices): Midnight Club (also in 2008), Red Dead Redemption (2010), L.A. Noire (2011) and Max Payne 3 (2012). So four titles in four years while, since the initial release of GTA V in 2013, we haven't had any new title from Rockstar, only GTA Online content updates, and won't have until next year with Red Dead Redemption 2, so five years without any new game from Rockstar, again, only because of the great success of GTA Online.

• Their new way to make money out of already released games. This means they'll now probably no longer develop any Story-Mode-related DLC for any other of their future games, but they'll only focus their efforts on Online and microtransactions.

What I was personally thinking from all this information, as well as from the recent announcement from Take-Two that is about the necessity for them to extend the lifetime of GTA V and GTA Online in 2018, that a new title from the Grand Theft Auto series, whether it'll be called GTA VI or whatever, will not be announced until GTA V and GTA Online will stop producing money for Rockstar. I used the verb 'announced' because I honestly think Rockstar North have already started development of GTA VI, they'll just keep making the game better and better until GTA Online's lifetime ends. If that's really the case, the time in which GTA VI will be released is determined by those who still play GTA Online frequently and, most importantly, for those who buy Shark Cards which, without realizing it, are delaying the release of GTA VI.

That is all. Thank you very much for your attention. Also, sorry for any possible grammatical mistake, English is not my first language.

- Darkle

Pastry
  • Pastry

you know i had to ring-a-ding do it to em

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:53 PM

It'll happen. Just not any time soon.

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:56 PM

Depends on how many Shark Cards they sell.

• jaljax likes this

DisCrafted
  • DisCrafted

Playa

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:56 PM Edited by DisCrafted, 22 August 2017 - 07:03 PM.

Only because it's been 4 years and we haven't seen it get announced doesn't mean it's not coming. From now on, each cycle is probably going to last longer with the newest game. You admitted yourself that you're sure North is developing VI already and it's correct. The team that's currently working on these Online updates is very small. The whole studio's like 500-600 people. As Spider once mentioned, the performance of RAGE is getting weaker with each Online update they add. This 'extension' won't last that long, apparently there's already been multiple times when a update was supposed to be the last but they extended the lifecycle behind the scenes i guess. The fact that they've sold a lot of copies and have made a lot of money from Shark Cards doesn't mean anything. I really don't get that mindset.

• Prasdana21, Good Hombre and Darkle like this

ViceOfLiberty
  • ViceOfLiberty

Prankster

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:57 PM Edited by ViceOfLiberty, 22 August 2017 - 06:58 PM.

Here's my opinion. They should have built and mastered GTA V on the same engine as GTA IV and released it for the 360 and PS3 as a "King me!" of that console generation. This could have included a refined version of the GTA IV multiplayer, possibly with more RPG elements. Then they should have started development of GTA VI on the new engine for the Xbone/PS4 and released in 2018 with the full fledged online mmo. 

This would have allowed them to push an earlier, more optimized release of V, and given them time to see what other developers were doing with the new consoles before they got into the mix. They totally jumped the gun, and now they have to somehow top V and Online. I think they're going to milk Online to sh*t until they see a revenue drop and then they'll look to finance the prodo for VI. Right now they're probably just working on the concept and framework. 

GTA:O could have very well been the beginning of the death of GTA as a business investment, and as a series because of the fact. 

Innovation and success are never born out of greed. You can feed yourself well without eating everything in sight. Some people never learn. 

Serbian_Wolf194
  • Serbian_Wolf194

Head Hunter

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 25 August 2017 - 12:33 PM

It will happen when it's ready.

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 August 2017 - 06:19 AM

You have put in a lot of efforts in the opening post to basically come to a conclusion that they would not repeat the past pattern, but "are delaying the release of GTA VI" (for reasons as explained by you).

That's all? 

I don't find anything new that even I didn't think before after reading this quite detailed analysis.

It really doesn't matter to me whether 6 comes out or not, or their plans to release the next GTA, after how they handled V (esp. SP) so far. 

The only thing I'll be interested to see is where the SP is heading in future, and how much of ONLINE is going to take all the development time and marketing of the next GTA.

The sooner we come to know, the better to keep our expectations to the minimum (or even bother to have any or not) without speculating too much.

The Paradox
  • The Paradox

Player Hater

• Members
  • Turkey

Posted 03 September 2017 - 03:03 PM

It would happen if morons stop playing online and paying for shark cards. 

• Official General and ViceOfLiberty like this

Giantsgiants
  • Giantsgiants

Boss

• Members
  • Mauritius

Posted 2 days ago

It's gonna happen. It might now happen soon, but it will eventually happen. It would be downright silly if Rockstar stopped the franchise now.

Yes, Rockstar is probably not done milking GTA Online yet, but even when they are, they will still have a sh*t ton of ideas to put into multiplayer, and that is where GTA VI will come in. GTA VI will probably be even more multiplayer-oriented, and will probably have even shadier microtransaction practices, but the game itself will exist, eventually.

AnimalFather
  • AnimalFather

Crackhead

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted A day ago Edited by AnimalFather, A day ago.

yes it is. but rockstar will most likely skip this gen of consoles due to the weak CPU in them. expect GTA 6 in about 2022.

Efreet
  • Efreet

I will keep you in black, on your behalf

• Members
  • None

Posted A day ago

yes it is. but rockstar will most likely skip this gen of consoles due to the weak CPU in them. expect GTA 6 in about 2022.

If they skip this generation, it wouldn't be because of the 'weak cpu' otherwise they wouldn't have released GTA5 on consoles with 'weak cpu' in 2013, just two months before the launch of PS4. They will release it where they will get a maximum return on investment. 

Stoney0503
  • Stoney0503

Buster, Straight Buster

• Members
  • United-Kingdom
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 22 hours ago

They'd be insane to not make a sequel to one of the biggest money making franchises out there.

• TitanR1 likes this

VictorVince1239
  • VictorVince1239

Thug

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 hours ago

They'll have to otherwise GTA will become outdated like anything else after a while. 

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 hours ago

It is already outdated, other than the graphics and physics there's hardly anything I find strong enough that differentiates HD era from the 3D era. Multiplayer is the only aspect that has evolved by leaps and bounds in the series. I think SP is done. Even Rockstar seems to have lost interest in evolving it further. they are more focused on Online potential, which is where the money is.

In truth: frankly speaking - Even the current fanbase has realized that SP in HD era isn't strong enough. They don't want to play through the boring game trying hard to be a movie knowing how the story are nothing original but recycled material stitched together in a new coat of paint that we have already experienced in 3D era. Gameplay is what makes video games, and which is why I think the multiplayer aspect of GTA has clearly surpassed the SP aspect, thus even if Rockstar makes GTA VI, I doubt the SP aspect of the game would be anything spectacular like their previous offerings in the 3D era.

Efreet
  • Efreet

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 hours ago

I disagree. There are more stories to tell and bigger ways to bring the game closer to life technical wise. Simulation of physics, animations and overall graphical effects will always make a newer Grand Theft Auto game an exciting thing to look for and experience. These improvements can affect the gameplay, mainly gun shooting, driving and interacting with pedestrians. In addition, there's a room for rebooting mission design in terms of how one mission can be accomplished. Rather than designing a controlled linear missions experience, it becomes more open ended. Truth be told, the only publisher that keeps pushing the technological edges with every open-world release is Rockstar Games. 

And of course, Online will get bigger with the increasingly improving internet infrastructure. We could end up seeing a whole story campaign being playable Online, co-operative style. 

• Algonquin Assassin likes this

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 hours ago

Rockstar isn't the only one, that would be grossly unfair to other developers, but yes, Rockstar makes amazing looking open world games with so much attention given to details. The problem is that their open world games ends up being just .. pretty!

Pls. list me all the possibilities in terms of gameplay that any HD era game can offer compared to the 3D era GTA's?

Like I said, gameplay is what makes video games. there's no shortage of pretty open worlds but not every open world has great gameplay, and that's where Rockstar is lagging far behind the rest of the developers.

Efreet
  • Efreet

• Members
  • None

Posted 9 hours ago Edited by Efreet, 9 hours ago.

Rockstar isn't lagging behind any developer in terms of gameplay in a crime-themed open-world game. What games compete with GTA? I can't recall any except maybe Watch Dogs and Sleeping Dogs. The first has turned into more of a teenage game and the other will probably see no sequel in the near future. In terms of gameplay features, I could agree, the series might've peaked at San Andreas, but the design of things, such as missions, can be rethought and implemented differently to refresh the formula. It goes without saying that GTA Online has been a radical change and R* is dominating this space with literally no competitor. 

• Algonquin Assassin likes this

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted 8 hours ago

As far as gameplay goes, then I'm sorry, Rockstar is indeed lagging behind. It doesn't matter whether or not in a crime-themed game. There are other open world games in different genre that have already set much higher standards, both in terms of exploration and sandbox gameplay. There's no way Rockstar comes close to fully realizing the potential of the games they make compared to other developers, which may not be big budget titles with millions of copies sold worldwide but they have great fan following and respect in the gaming community as a whole. I mean, HD era is pretty much the same game I had experienced during the 3D era, but in a much more advanced engine.

GTA SA is the best game Rockstar has created so far, which stands out from the rest of the open world games in many ways and even compared to some of the overrated RPG titles, when it comes to possibilities for gameplay. In fact, the graphics and physics are also spot on! I don't find any issues with them. Its still very easily playable.

The sad part is that Rockstar completely changed the direction later by putting more focus on multiplayer, and open world details, rather than pushing the gameplay further in new engine after SA managed to get the series in the evolved state. 

Of course, there's a lot that can be done differently to refresh the formula now that we have better hardware, and an amazing RAGE engine, but unfortunately, they are leaning heavily towards pushing Online further than SP.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users