Quantcast

» «
Photo

Is Grand Theft Auto VI ever gonna happen?

7 replies to this topic
Darkle
  • Darkle

Player Hater

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Darkle, 4 weeks ago.

Grand Theft Auto V, the latest title from the GTA series, launched almost four years ago, on September 17, 2013. It's the biggest, most ambitious and most advanced GTA game ever created by Rockstar North, which probably started developing it in 2008 (in fact, when you launch it, before the actual loading screen with all the various artworks, you can see that the copyright for the game was registered in 2008, so we can suppose that Rockstar started developing the game at around that time). That means that next year, when supposedly Red Dead Redemption 2 will come out, Rockstar will have worked on GTA V for an entire decade. That's a lot of time for a single videogame! They never did something like that before, neither did any major gaming company, as far as I know.

That has happened, as we all know, primarily because of a new, different method that Rockstar attempted to for the very first time with GTA V and, in particular, GTA Online: microtransactions. In fact, thanks to Shark Cards, Rockstar have made a grand $700 million just in the time period between October 2015 and 2016. That of course was the main incentive for them to continue developing free content for GTA Online. But I don't think it is the only one.

Recently Take-Two revealed that GTA V sold 80 million copies worldwide as of May of this year from its initial release, in 2013, and we're talking about only physical copies! This has also been possible for Rockstar only by continuing developing free, new content for the game. (the 'game as a service' business model)

So, because of these reasons, as Take-Two's CEO Strauss Zelnick said during an interview: <<Rockstar's activities have been transformed by Grand Theft Auto Online.>>

These transformations of Rockstar's activities Zelnick is talking about are, in particular:

• Rockstar's frequency to publish a new game: between the release of Grand Theft Auto IV (2008) and Grand Theft Auto V (2013) Rockstar Games published four titles (excluding GTA IV's Episodes from Liberty City, Red Dead Redemption's Undead Nightmare, and the remastered version of Bully for mobile devices): Midnight Club (also in 2008), Red Dead Redemption (2010), L.A. Noire (2011) and Max Payne 3 (2012). So four titles in four years while, since the initial release of GTA V in 2013, we haven't had any new title from Rockstar, only GTA Online content updates, and won't have until next year with Red Dead Redemption 2, so five years without any new game from Rockstar, again, only because of the great success of GTA Online.

• Their new way to make money out of already released games. This means they'll now probably no longer develop any Story-Mode-related DLC for any other of their future games, but they'll only focus their efforts on Online and microtransactions.

What I was personally thinking from all this information, as well as from the recent announcement from Take-Two that is about the necessity for them to extend the lifetime of GTA V and GTA Online in 2018, that a new title from the Grand Theft Auto series, whether it'll be called GTA VI or whatever, will not be announced until GTA V and GTA Online will stop producing money for Rockstar. I used the verb 'announced' because I honestly think Rockstar North have already started development of GTA VI, they'll just keep making the game better and better until GTA Online's lifetime ends. If that's really the case, the time in which GTA VI will be released is determined by those who still play GTA Online frequently and, most importantly, for those who buy Shark Cards which, without realizing it, are delaying the release of GTA VI.

That is all. Thank you very much for your attention. Also, sorry for any possible grammatical mistake, English is not my first language.

- Darkle

Pastry
  • Pastry

you know i had to ring-a-ding do it to em

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 4 weeks ago

It'll happen. Just not any time soon.

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 4 weeks ago

Depends on how many Shark Cards they sell.

DisCrafted
  • DisCrafted

Playa

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by DisCrafted, 4 weeks ago.

Only because it's been 4 years and we haven't seen it get announced doesn't mean it's not coming. From now on, each cycle is probably going to last longer with the newest game. You admitted yourself that you're sure North is developing VI already and it's correct. The team that's currently working on these Online updates is very small. The whole studio's like 500-600 people. As Spider once mentioned, the performance of RAGE is getting weaker with each Online update they add. This 'extension' won't last that long, apparently there's already been multiple times when a update was supposed to be the last but they extended the lifecycle behind the scenes i guess. The fact that they've sold a lot of copies and have made a lot of money from Shark Cards doesn't mean anything. I really don't get that mindset.

• Good Hombre and Darkle like this

ViceOfLiberty
  • ViceOfLiberty

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by ViceOfLiberty, 4 weeks ago.

Here's my opinion. They should have built and mastered GTA V on the same engine as GTA IV and released it for the 360 and PS3 as a "King me!" of that console generation. This could have included a refined version of the GTA IV multiplayer, possibly with more RPG elements. Then they should have started development of GTA VI on the new engine for the Xbone/PS4 and released in 2018 with the full fledged online mmo. 

This would have allowed them to push an earlier, more optimized release of V, and given them time to see what other developers were doing with the new consoles before they got into the mix. They totally jumped the gun, and now they have to somehow top V and Online. I think they're going to milk Online to sh*t until they see a revenue drop and then they'll look to finance the prodo for VI. Right now they're probably just working on the concept and framework. 

GTA:O could have very well been the beginning of the death of GTA as a business investment, and as a series because of the fact. 

Innovation and success are never born out of greed. You can feed yourself well without eating everything in sight. Some people never learn. 

Serbian_Wolf194
  • Serbian_Wolf194

Head Hunter

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 4 weeks ago

It will happen when it's ready.

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

You have put in a lot of efforts in the opening post to basically come to a conclusion that they would not repeat the past pattern, but "are delaying the release of GTA VI" (for reasons as explained by you).

That's all? 

I don't find anything new that even I didn't think before after reading this quite detailed analysis.

It really doesn't matter to me whether 6 comes out or not, or their plans to release the next GTA, after how they handled V (esp. SP) so far. 

The only thing I'll be interested to see is where the SP is heading in future, and how much of ONLINE is going to take all the development time and marketing of the next GTA.

The sooner we come to know, the better to keep our expectations to the minimum (or even bother to have any or not) without speculating too much.

The Paradox
  • The Paradox

Player Hater

• Members
  • Turkey

Posted 2 weeks ago

It would happen if morons stop playing online and paying for shark cards. 

• ViceOfLiberty likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users