Quantcast

» «
Photo

would you want another gta with star power?

38 replies to this topic
Homemade Dynamite
  • Homemade Dynamite

Melodrama

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Concept 2015 [GTA Online: Liberty City Expansion]

Posted 05 October 2017 - 11:27 AM

It really depends on how good they are. I'll admit, there's a certain charm to having a well-known celebrity voice a character in a video game, mainly because it shows that video games as a medium are being taken seriously. Like in the original Mass Effect trilogy, on top of voice acting regulars you had a variety of celebrities that all gave good performances such as Seth Green, Yvonne Strahovski, Tricia Helfer, Adam Baldwin, and Martin Sheen, among others.

It helps that while many of the actors could be seen as celebrities, they weren't of the "tabloids for their personal lives kind" of A-listers that TMZ follows and has people obsessing over them like zombies. Rather, people known mostly for their talent and are prolific because of it. One of the complaints about Andromeda was that there were no voice actors that could be considered a celebrity. To be fair though, the lack of well-knowns was the least of that game's problems.

On the other hand, a celebrity voice actor is not a guarantee of a good performance. Fallout: New Vegas had a lot of good talent, but the worst actor was Matthew Perry aka Chandler from Friends. And as mentioned, it's just more expensive. I feel like using celebrities could potentially divert funds that could be used elsewhere. Basically, what I'm saying is: Talent first, name recognition second.

Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

prettier n nastier

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:41 PM

I like the idea of them hiring a really famous actor to voice the main antagonist. Like Tenpenny. But it doesn't really matter to me, tbh. Besides, there's a lot of talented but unknown actors who deserve a spotlight, so...

simond1986
  • simond1986

Crackhead

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 07 October 2017 - 05:19 PM

no im cool with unkowns

MojoGamer
  • MojoGamer

Ultra Instinct

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:47 PM Edited by MojoGamer, 08 October 2017 - 09:48 PM.

no im cool with unkowns

That Wouldn't be cool, since they will have to be hired off of Craigslist like all the 3D era pedestrians, youtube fake pranks and prostitution.

R* has recently been hiring people with a IMDB website for all their HD era games and 4k games like RDR2. IMDB is the world's most popular and authoritative source for movie, TV and celebrity content.

raebbitos
  • raebbitos

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:47 PM

I think that's a great Idea ,It would make for more memorable characters and better quality voice acting IMO, but really as long as Samuel L Jackson is included and 90 percent of his lines are "motherf*cker" I'll be happy in that regard.

SmokesWithCigs
  • SmokesWithCigs

recovering addict

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 October 2017 - 03:26 PM

I don't think it would fit in with the HD era mould. I could understand why they did back in the early 00s just as the series turned 3D and became more cinematic to give some brand recognition, but the thought now honestly sounds cheesy.

Like something Saints Row would do. I mean I don't even know who the majority of the voice actors are in GTA IV, but it doesn't matter because it's not a famous voice that carries them or makes them interesting.

I'm more interested if the voice actor can deliver a performance that makes me invest in the character rather than "oh hey it's so and so from so and so".

Plus I think it does wonders for careers. Just take a look Steve Ogg. Love Trevor or hate him Ogg wouldn't be on The Walking Dead or Westworld if it wasn't for the springboard voicing Trevor.

don't forget better call saul

Swe78
  • Swe78

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:42 PM

Don't care as long as it's good acting. 

DirtCheap
  • DirtCheap

Cheapskate

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted A week ago

I think R* mentioned somewhere that they don't cast the big stars anymore as voice actors as they want the players to like the character more on their personality rather than on their voice actor.

Darealbandicoot
  • Darealbandicoot

Strange and exotic sailor

• Members
  • None

Posted 5 days ago

I honestly don't mind and if a lesser known actor can get the job done then do be it. Personally if a female protagonist is in the next gta I wouldn't be mad if Ellen Page was cast😶

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users