Quantcast

» «
Photo

would you want another gta with star power?

36 replies to this topic
SmokesWithCigs
  • SmokesWithCigs

recovering addict

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:08 PM Edited by SmokesWithCigs, 22 August 2017 - 01:46 PM.

gta vice city and san andreas was filled with known actors/entertainers and athletes like ray liotta Samuel l Jackson, dennis hopper, james woods, ice -T, phillip Michael Thomas ,Charlie murphy to name a few. in following titles the games did well also with lesser known.  my question is would you  want another gta with star power and big name actors? do you feel it would make a difference? how much does it matter to you?

• Good Hombre, Am Shaegar and raebbitos like this

ViceOfLiberty
  • ViceOfLiberty

Prankster

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:19 PM Edited by ViceOfLiberty, 22 August 2017 - 01:19 PM.

As long as it fits.GTA III had Guru from Gangstarr as 8ball! I'd like to see Joe Pesci play a minor antagonist who gets his face blown off by the protagonist after saying "Why you muthaf*cka, you!"

• SmokesWithCigs likes this

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:30 PM

This topic would probably fit the Next GTA section a bit more.

OT:

I don't care that much as long as the characters are interesting and well played.

Stars tend to create problems and act not very professional, when it comes to money (vide Ray Liotta case), so it's probably safer to hire less known actors, who will do the same job for the less money and with fewer problems. 

• The7thOne, SmokesWithCigs, The Deadite and 1 other like this

ViceOfLiberty
  • ViceOfLiberty

Prankster

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:32 PM

OT:

I don't care that much as long as the characters are interesting and well played.

Stars tend to create problems and act not very professional, when it comes to money (vide Ray Liotta case), so it's probably safer to hire less known actors, who will do the same job for the less money and with fewer problems. 

Yeah, R* proved this by faking Jonah Hill. LOL

SmokesWithCigs
  • SmokesWithCigs

recovering addict

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:08 PM

OT:

I think the problem with ray liotta was he didn't like the violence attached to the game and his character. the 3d games were made before rockstar used mocap so ray liotta only did voice acting he said himself when he saw the game he didn't like the violence or the nature of the game.

ViceOfLiberty
  • ViceOfLiberty

Prankster

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:11 PM Edited by ViceOfLiberty, 22 August 2017 - 02:12 PM.

OT:

I think the problem with ray liotta was he didn't like the violence attached to the game and his character. the 3d games were made before rockstar used mocap so ray liotta only did voice acting he said himself when he saw the game he didn't like the violence or the nature of the game.

I think he was just being a dick and using that as a reason to bitch. How can he complain about the violence when Henry pistol whipped some dude and gave the bloody gun to his girlfriend in Goodfellas? Not to mention being a coked up douche and setting people up. 

I think back in 01/02' people were still confused about what games were supposed to be. He was just being an old douche denouncing video games because the industry was still on the come up and it seemed fitting. My dad used to do the same thing, saying video games were going to enable violence and rot my brain out. Idiot. lol

• SmokesWithCigs and The Deadite like this

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:17 PM

I don't really care who they are as long as they make a great job in voicing said character.

• Tycek likes this

~Tiger~
  • ~Tiger~

• Members
  • None
  • Best Ledby 2015
    Best Ledby 2014
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]
    Contribution Award [GTA V]
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:38 PM

The problem with Star Power is that it tends to be expensive. Big name actors demand big bucks fees.

If it means cutting costs in game development in order to pay Mr Big's voice acting salary...it's a no from me.

• eCola, The Deadite and JuniorChubb like this

ViceOfLiberty
  • ViceOfLiberty

Prankster

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:44 PM

The problem with Star Power is that it tends to be expensive. Big name actors demand big bucks fees.

If it means cutting costs in game development in order to pay Mr Big's voice acting salary...it's a no from me.

Usually, the big name voice acting is seen as an investment to yield a return, I think. 

~Tiger~
  • ~Tiger~

• Members
  • None
  • Best Ledby 2015
    Best Ledby 2014

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:52 PM

Usually, the big name voice acting is seen as an investment to yield a return, I think.

No, I don't agree. GTA V has sold millions of copies without a single big name voice actor. Folks bought it because it was GTA, not because of who voices which character. Paying big money for a star actor would be throwing money away that could be better spent on development.

• The7thOne, eCola and The Deadite like this

ViceOfLiberty
  • ViceOfLiberty

Prankster

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:03 PM Edited by ViceOfLiberty, 22 August 2017 - 07:07 PM.

No, I don't agree. GTA V has sold millions of copies without a single big name voice actor. Folks bought it because it was GTA, not because of who voices which character. Paying big money for a star actor would be throwing money away that could be better spent on development.

Yes, but the characters defined by the voices of Samuel L. Jackson, Ray Liotta, MC Eiht, ICE T, Guru, Frank Vincent, and Burt Reynolds were a huge factor in forging the legacy that created the demand for those millions of copies to be sold. 

~Tiger~
  • ~Tiger~

• Members
  • None
  • Best Ledby 2015
    Best Ledby 2014

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:11 PM

Yes but the characters defined by the voices ... were a huge factor in forging the legacy that created the demand for those millions of copies to be sold.

On what do you base that assertion? Your imagination? There is no quantification for the current success of GTA being directly attributed to past celebrity actors.

As an example, GTA SA was arguably the best game in the world in it's time, but Jackson's voice acting legacy is relatively minor compared to the overall success of the game and to say that it was a 'huge factor' is absurd.

• Zello, The Deadite and DisCrafted like this

ViceOfLiberty
  • ViceOfLiberty

Prankster

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:14 PM Edited by ViceOfLiberty, 22 August 2017 - 07:18 PM.

Yes but the characters defined by the voices ... were a huge factor in forging the legacy that created the demand for those millions of copies to be sold.

On what do you base that assertion? Your imagination? There is no quantification for the current success of GTA being directly attributed to past celebrity actors.

As an example, GTA SA was arguably the best game in the world in it's time, but Jackson's voice acting legacy is relatively minor compared to the overall success of the game and to say that it was a 'huge factor' is absurd.

Do you honestly think that the importance and impact of Tenpenny would have been anywhere near what it was in that game without Sam Jackson's vocal and the sheer psychological bias it has on a viewer by hearing him speak to Carl? I can say that unless they could find someone with just as strong a presence as Sam Jackson for significantly lower compensation, they made a damn good decision. Tenpenny was one of the characters that made that game anything more than a hood shootout with a hippy.

Not to mention the press the games receive with names like those. It saves alot of non-gamer types from disregarding it because they can associate those names to quality material. 

~Tiger~
  • ~Tiger~

• Members
  • None
  • Best Ledby 2015
    Best Ledby 2014

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:18 PM

Do you honestly think that the importance and impact of Tenpenny would have been anywhere near what it was in that game without Sam Jackson's vocal

Yes I do. In the same way that I believe that Trevor's character was acted and voiced superbly...by a relative unknown. To have paid a big star to have voiced Trevor (or any of the other characters) would have been a complete waste of money and may have been detrimental to the game as a whole in terms of expenditure.

• Zello and The Deadite like this

ViceOfLiberty
  • ViceOfLiberty

Prankster

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:22 PM

Do you honestly think that the importance and impact of Tenpenny would have been anywhere near what it was in that game without Sam Jackson's vocal

Yes I do. In the same way that I believe that Trevor's character was acted and voiced superbly...by a relative unknown. To have paid a big star to have voiced Trevor (or any of the other characters) would have been a complete waste of money and may have been detrimental to the game as a whole in terms of expenditure.

If Trevor's character wasn't so outlandish and over the top as a cop-out, then his voice actor wouldn't have been able to compensate by sheer presence. That's an unfair example, as Trevor's success was in his behavior. Is every character to be as shocking as Trevor to compensate? IN a few years, we'll look back in retrospect and see that GTA V's cast is lackluster in comparison to previous titles. Also, you act like they pay those guys a million dollars for their voice acting. With a budget close to $300m if they're falling short on any other aspect of development, it's because someone's using the budget as a slush fund, not because of Sam Jackson. 

• Good Hombre likes this

~Tiger~
  • ~Tiger~

• Members
  • None
  • Best Ledby 2015
    Best Ledby 2014

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:51 PM

you act like they pay those guys a million dollars for their voice acting. With a budget close to $300m...

Actually no. If you read my post properly I said;

Therefore my argument is a no if it means diverting cash in order to pay for 'A Name' rather than unknown (and less costly) talent. If the money is available within budget then the question of having a star name on the bill might be a reasonable consideration. I still don't agree that the 'investment' is a wise one though because I still don't see how such an investment could be properly quantified in terms of a percentage of return.

• The Deadite likes this

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:53 PM Edited by DOUGL4S1, 22 August 2017 - 10:54 PM.

I agree with ~Tiger~, spending money with known names probably wouldn't (or at least shouldn't) be on the top of their budget priority. Also, voicing a main character on a famous video-game was probably just another line on Ray Liotta's resume, but it could really boost the carreer of a smaller actor like Steven Ogg.

As I said, I don't mind smaller actors, as long as they do a good job.

SmokesWithCigs
  • SmokesWithCigs

recovering addict

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:06 PM

i'm pretty sure rockstar can afford it especially with shark card sales.

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Members
  • Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:27 PM

I don't think it would fit in with the HD era mould. I could understand why they did back in the early 00s just as the series turned 3D and became more cinematic to give some brand recognition, but the thought now honestly sounds cheesy.

Like something Saints Row would do. I mean I don't even know who the majority of the voice actors are in GTA IV, but it doesn't matter because it's not a famous voice that carries them or makes them interesting.

I'm more interested if the voice actor can deliver a performance that makes me invest in the character rather than "oh hey it's so and so from so and so".

Plus I think it does wonders for careers. Just take a look Steve Ogg. Love Trevor or hate him Ogg wouldn't be on The Walking Dead or Westworld if it wasn't for the springboard voicing Trevor.
  • Tycek, theGTAking101, Zello and 3 others like this

SmokesWithCigs
  • SmokesWithCigs

recovering addict

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 August 2017 - 06:09 PM

i want john leguizamo to play a protag in the next gta

(Ambient)
  • (Ambient)

Three stars

• Facade
  • Poland

Posted 23 August 2017 - 06:37 PM

I don't think it's really necessary to have celebrities in the cast. There are more important things to be paid for. Though, I wouldn't mind seeing one or two somewhat famous actors. "Somewhat" is a key here.

Gummy 
  • Gummy 

F*ck thyself

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:10 PM

They should at least have one or two guest stars in a main role. Similar to the Call of Duty series?

• SmokesWithCigs and Good Hombre like this

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:21 AM

I don't understand the obsession with big name voice actors. I never found them to be particularly important for a character. Aside from the "hey I know that voice!" factor there's nothing special about the voice acting performances in III, VC, and SA. V had unknown actors yet the voice acting (especially for Michael and Trevor) far exceeds anything in the 3D era.

So that said, they can bring big name actors if they want, but personally I think they have more to benefit from smaller, yet great actors.
  • Algonquin Assassin and eCola like this

Gokuzbu
  • Gokuzbu

Luis and Niko will not be touched by Trevor.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 August 2017 - 06:32 AM

As long as it doesn't eat into the radio budget I welcome big name actors. Bryan Cranston or Nic Cage would be amazing in GTA.

thatstupidbug
  • thatstupidbug

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 27 August 2017 - 08:00 PM Edited by thatstupidbug, 27 August 2017 - 08:04 PM.

Tommy vercetty is my favourite gta character, so I SHOULD be for a huge, A-lister cast... but I'm actually against, because the actors are usually dubbed over in non-english speaking countries.

This is "your" Ray liotta

[youtube] [\youtube]

And this is ray liotta for every italian who never watched the original version

[youtube][\youtube]

Since vice city was in english (with subtitles), I liked ray liotta performance, but it lacked that instant "movie connection" in my mind since i never heard his original voice (99% of the movies here - and in a lot of foreign countries - are still dubbed, often with horrible results)

So, unless an A-list actor is totally willing to also do motion capture (since the non-verbal acting is quite recognizeable and universal even in a dubbed movie), I think it's. just a waste of time if lots of casual consumers won't recognize his voice
The most important thing is a good acting and a perfect script, no matter who's voicing the characters

Neon_Dreaming
  • Neon_Dreaming

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 August 2017 - 12:49 PM

I'm not really bothered about star power. It's true that the likes of Samuel L Jackson gave great performances in Gta but there are a lot of talented people out there who would jump at the opportunity to be part of a franchise the size of Gta. While i'm not a big fan of the character of Trevor, Steven Ogg gave a powerhouse of a performance, he was relatively unknown at that point, now he's getting bigger roles, he deserves them, he's a quality actor.

There are plenty of actors/voice actors out there who are great at doing what they do, Rockstar don't really need A listers imo.

burnstern
  • burnstern

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 August 2017 - 02:17 PM

Immersion-wise, I do prefer the use of talented but lesser known actors in the main protagonist roles. I think it's served the HD era very well.

Good Hombre
  • Good Hombre

I'm done with this sh*t

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 03 October 2017 - 04:21 PM

Yes, at least one, R* can afford anyone. It was great hearing all those familiar voices in SA and the other 3D era games, Samuel L Jackson, James Woods, Frank Vincent, Peter Fonda, etc.

joyrider00
  • joyrider00

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:27 PM

Most of the time the actors are fine. R* should hire better scriptwriters instead!

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:26 AM

I will welcome such a move. GTA SA has such a phenomenal voice talent behind the characters that it literally enhances the gameplay experience, making it more engaging. Its not like the story, and superb writing, alongside interesting characters were any less interesting on their own merits, but the voice actors used for the characters in GTA SA felt so perfect, natural and effortless in their delivery that it became impossible to imagine Tenpenny and Samuel L Jackson were two separate individuals, and not one. He was perfect for this role.

This is why I was so horribly disappointed to find that GTA IV had no good voice talent to match the characters. I'm  not saying that Rockstar should only use popular voices, but if they are using unknown actors then for god's sake get the right people for the job. GTA IV with their fake accents completely broke the immersion. Most of the voice acting was pretty mediocre and passable at best, which is why popular actors charge more money because they have the necessary talent and required ability to enhance the experience with their voices.

GTA SA had a top notch voice talent across the board and it shows in the game. It makes the superb story even more exciting to play each time.

• ViceOfLiberty likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users