Quantcast

» «
Photo

I have this odd feeling (GTA V Dev Theory)

12 replies to this topic
ViceOfLiberty
  • ViceOfLiberty

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 August 2017 - 02:06 PM

That GTA V was meant to be formatted like EFLC. Franklin was going to lead a story about the hood, Michael about the high profile stuff, and Trevor about the grimey outskirts stuff. Each would have differing content similar to the EFLC games. I believe that SOMEONE stepped in mid-development and forced a change in direction toward the 3 protagonist setup (Take-2?). This would explain why there isn't much cohesion between Frank and the other two apart from the robbery, and Franklin's lack of development/Lamar's uselessness. Something just doesn't seem right about the way the narrative plays out and how things are forced/left out in certain areas. 

Anyone else feel like this?

• saintsrow likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, WILLY!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 18 August 2017 - 03:18 PM

Nah, writers just got lazy.
  • saintsrow likes this

Pink Pineapple
  • Pink Pineapple

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:20 PM

Franklin was going to lead a story about the hood, Michael about the high profile stuff, and Trevor about the grimey outskirts stuff. 

I wish it would have been like that.

Bakamomo
  • Bakamomo

Country Fried

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:22 AM Edited by Bakamomo, 19 August 2017 - 09:55 AM.

I guess one reason that the story is rather a mess is that a lot of things changed during the production. As I have understood it, Slink Johnson was supposed to play the protagonist but got into some legal trouble and was replaced by Shawn Fonteno at a late stage. Another might be that Trevor was originally supposed to be an antagonist, but R* realized the potential of Ogg's performance and made the character a protagonist and then had to change the narrative. Or something along those lines. 

• saintsrow, UltraGizmo64 and Pastry like this

ViceOfLiberty
  • ViceOfLiberty

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 August 2017 - 11:33 AM

I guess one reason that the story is rather a mess is that a lot of things changed during the production. As I have understood it, Slink Johnson was supposed to play the protagonist but got into some legal trouble and was replaced by Shawn Fonteno at a late stage. Another might be that Trevor was originally supposed to be an antagonist, but R* realized the potential of Ogg's performance and made the character a protagonist and then had to change the narrative. Or something along those lines. 

That's interesting. Where did you read those things? I feel like take2 stepped in to add some gimmicks to the story because they were anxious about the budget/return. 

• saintsrow likes this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:07 PM

I can't say this is the reason for certain, but I do kinda wish it was like GTA IV/EFLC in the sense of being three overarching, individual stories. I like the student-mentor relationship between Franklin and Michael, but it pretty much halts when Trevor and the FIB come into the into the picture.

It shifts focus onto Michael and Trevor with Franklin really just serving as a middle man.

I always felt it would be way more interesting if the three didn't know each other like Niko, Johnny and Luis apart from minor business related encounters or at the very least keep the student-mentor relationship with Franklin and Michael, but have Trevor as the playable antagonist like that was rumoured prior to release.

I also think it would give the characters more time to flourish. Franklin's actually a decent character IMO, but he clearly suffers the most of the three with the current structure.
  • saintsrow likes this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 August 2017 - 02:39 PM

That GTA V was meant to be formatted like EFLC. Franklin was going to lead a story about the hood, Michael about the high profile stuff, and Trevor about the grimey outskirts stuff. Each would have differing content similar to the EFLC games. I believe that SOMEONE stepped in mid-development and forced a change in direction toward the 3 protagonist setup (Take-2?). This would explain why there isn't much cohesion between Frank and the other two apart from the robbery, and Franklin's lack of development/Lamar's uselessness. Something just doesn't seem right about the way the narrative plays out and how things are forced/left out in certain areas. 

Anyone else feel like this?

In retrospect, four years later, now that we know there is no robust SP DLC, I kind of understand how some people might wish it was the way you are suggesting. Because it would have made an already very long and satisfying game even longer. But personally I love the way it was done, even without SP DLC.

I can't agree, however, that the concept of three protagonists and the initial launched GTA V was somehow forced or an unintentional sandbag by the devs. The fact that there is no initial cohesion between Franklin and Michal nor Franklin and Trevor is intentional since he is the new kid, and the two seasoned criminals act as sort of sociopathic mentors for him. Also, you aren't factoring how well three playable protagonists are implemented in this game.

It is definitely not some sort of an afterthought that adds little to the game or serves as some sort of a detriment. It is incredibly well done. Far too well done for me to believe that someone from Take2 stepped in at the 11th hour and rammed this one down the collective throats of the Roackstar devs.

Think of how well it plays and how it is woven into many missions where you can use switching to set up characters and strategically to find creative ways of playing various missions, adding a lot of replay value. Think of the various scenarios the player finds themselves in, when they leave the action of one protagonist, and switch to another. I have been continuously amazed at how the characters in short switches maintain the basic tasks you started with them. For instance, I have pointed Trevor north, driving in the city, then switched to Michael, pointed him north driving, then Trevor. And unless enough time has gone on where they "get other ideas in their AI heads" they continue what you were doing.

The heists, the missions where the three have to work together, adding in Chop as a limited playable character lol, and having all with their own stories and backstories, cohesively woven into the stories. I love the way the Special Abilities are integrated into the story, and that each protagonist has, in essence, their own nemesis and a robust story with their own supporting characters. I love that each character gets some of their own side quests. Finally, I love the chemistry between them as you get to play all three in the same game, and the same missions.

Tengerecki
  • Tengerecki

Rat

• Members
  • Hungary

Posted 19 August 2017 - 03:25 PM

Yeah and where'd you get that info from?

Bakamomo
  • Bakamomo

Country Fried

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 19 August 2017 - 04:00 PM Edited by Bakamomo, 19 August 2017 - 04:46 PM.

I apologize, I should have been clear on that much of this is pure speculation. However, Slink Johnson's part should have been bigger but, as I understand it, he had to serve time. Also, the three-protagonist-system was developed during production. And if one looks at the first trailer, the dude running from the cops looks a lot like Slink and Trevor is nowhere to be seen.

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 August 2017 - 05:43 PM

Yeah and where'd you get that info from?
He wasn't meant to be a protagonist, but Lamar had a much larger role in the game originally, but Slink got arrested in real life during production, so his role got cut down and the story changed drastically because of this. He confirmed this on a Reddit AMA some time back, I'll try to find the link.

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 August 2017 - 06:38 PM

I apologize, I should have been clear on that much of this is pure speculation. However, Slink Johnson's part should have been bigger but, as I understand it, he had to serve time. Also, the three-protagonist-system was developed during production. And if one looks at the first trailer, the dude running from the cops looks a lot like Slink and Trevor is nowhere to be seen.

First off, that's just one trailer. And one constant in game trailers, particularly the ones released very early in the production of the title, is that they are not very evolved with regard to the final game. Usually they show some key story element or some crazy action. Not every main character would make its way into an early trailer. Those are just meant as PR targeted to people who know literally nothing about the coming game.

Did you see some of the early GTA III trailers and even some of the other trailers for games like San Andreas?

CGFforLife
  • CGFforLife

Bitchass Bullsh*t

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 19 August 2017 - 11:15 PM

First off, that's just one trailer. And one constant in game trailers, particularly the ones released very early in the production of the title, is that they are not very evolved with regard to the final game. Usually they show some key story element or some crazy action. Not every main character would make its way into an early trailer. Those are just meant as PR targeted to people who know literally nothing about the coming game.

Did you see some of the early GTA III trailers and even some of the other trailers for games like San Andreas?
and trailer one (reveal) never show anything related to story, only showing some cool thing to make everyone hyped for the game. Even IV trailer one only show LC landscape

KonradGM
  • KonradGM

GM of himself

• Members

Posted 4 weeks ago

Even then every "first" trailer for rockstar games showed protagonists, even red dead, in gtaV only protagonist not shown is trevor, michael and franklin are both in first trailer, only place where i think trevor could be is either the crop dust or the guy picking up prostitute in alamo sea.

They wanted 3 protagonists since beginning according to interviews though

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users