Quantcast

» «
Photo

Has GTA gone too far with the mobile phone?

34 replies to this topic

Poll: Has GTA gone too far with the mobile phone? (39 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the mobile phone play a smaller part in gameplay?

1. No (GTA should maintain the smart phone and stay in a modern setting) (23 votes [58.97%])

Percentage of vote: 58.97%

2. Yes (Mobile phone should play a smaller role in gameplay) (16 votes [41.03%])

Percentage of vote: 41.03%

Vote Guests cannot vote
ViceOfLiberty
  • ViceOfLiberty

Prankster

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 18 August 2017 - 01:21 PM Edited by ViceOfLiberty, 18 August 2017 - 03:54 PM.

I feel that there is too much importance placed on the mobile phone these days. I would love to see a GTA game set in Y2K as a retro setting (We're getting old). This would allow for us to still have a phone, modern conveniences, and utilize the payphone concept, without feeling obligated for modern cell phone depth and functionality to be an integral part of the game. You receive messages and calls, and focus on the crime!

As of right now you can use your phone to call your contacts, check your email, become a bodyguard, deposit your money, call in an airstrike, lose the cops via lester, order heavy artillery to your location, get your car delivered to you, buy properties etc.

These are activities that could potentially give you a reason to visit a particular neighborhood or building. There would be more NPC's to interact with and enterable interiors if all of these things weren't consolidated in the phone. 

Could you survive driving to waypoints without a guided GPS keeping you from getting lost?!

Not to mention alot of dev time is spent fleshing out the internet that we can access via the phone. When you had to go to the [email protected] location it didn't need to be fleshed out as much since it wasn't as easily and regularly accessible. 

• lopezloo, Ivan1997GTA and Le Shark like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 18 August 2017 - 01:48 PM

I really don't get what you mean that it's gone too far. I mean I suppose it would if we had to install in game updates or make sure it's charged up. That would be going to far.

As a communication device though I think it's been spot on to reflect each time period it's been in. Vice City and San Andreas had the block phones that could only receive calls. GTA IV had the typical mid/late 00s mobile and GTA V has the typical smart phone.

It's only gone as far as the time period/technology has.
  • Pastry, The Deadite and Hugh-Jazz like this

ViceOfLiberty
  • ViceOfLiberty

Prankster

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 18 August 2017 - 02:15 PM Edited by ViceOfLiberty, 18 August 2017 - 02:17 PM.

I guess I mean like, phoning people rather than travelling around to see them, taking away from random payphones ringing, the constant calls from friends to hang out, notifications, being able to deposit money via the internet (how is this even possible?) Ordering cars online, etc. I feel like the world would feel alot more fleshed out with car dealerships, whistling at cabs, using phone booths/payphones, driving around and finding properties to buy in world, etc. Alot of stuff is achieved simply by ordering it online and it takes away from really feeling like you're submerged in this world. 

• lopezloo likes this

MarshDanni
  • MarshDanni

Bamboozling

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 18 August 2017 - 02:46 PM

I guess what you mean is that phones are becoming a more integral part of the GTA series and you don't support it? Well as long as they keep practically everything on the phone optional and not crucial (except for some missions) it's all good

ViceOfLiberty
  • ViceOfLiberty

Prankster

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 18 August 2017 - 02:53 PM

I guess what you mean is that phones are becoming a more integral part of the GTA series and you don't support it? Well as long as they keep practically everything on the phone optional and not crucial (except for some missions) it's all good

Exactly. And I feel that by ingraining the mobile phone too deeply in the core gameplay and the way mission contacts are handled and things are accessed, the possibilities are bottlenecked regarding the time in which the game can take place. For instance, it would be very difficult to create a retro setting without removing content. Not that R* has ever had a problem removing content anyway. 

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, WILLY!

• Facade
  • United-States
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 18 August 2017 - 03:16 PM

It hasn't gone far enough.

We need to be able to use the phone as a weapon.

ViceOfLiberty
  • ViceOfLiberty

Prankster

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 18 August 2017 - 03:18 PM

Can't you call Merryweather for an airstrike or something like that? 

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 18 August 2017 - 03:52 PM

No way, Samsung would sue Rockstar for that.

• universetwisters, assCRACK_98, theGTAking101 and 8 others like this

Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

prettier n nastier

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 18 August 2017 - 04:47 PM

Nah, it's fine.
  • SmokesWithCigs and alkaline_ like this

SmokesWithCigs
  • SmokesWithCigs

recovering addict

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 August 2017 - 06:52 PM

the only thing i agree with you on is bank deposits. as for the other stuff why should i have to go to another location to call in an airstrike when i'm in the middle of a firefight? the phone serves that very purpose.

GTA-Biker
  • GTA-Biker

Let's Rock

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:13 PM

I would love if they would put vehicle dealerships instead of vehicle buying websites in the next game.The websites have only a few photos of each vehicle,which is often not enough to decide do I want it or not.I'd prefer to go to a dealership,take the vehicle I'm interested in for a test drive,see how it drives,check out all the details,and then choose do I want to spend my money on it (or alternatively just take it to my garage instead of returning it,at the expense of a wanted level).

• gunziness and Good Hombre like this

ViceOfLiberty
  • ViceOfLiberty

Prankster

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:28 AM

Well, I could argue against even the possibility of doing a military grade air strike during a shootout in a crime game. That's on the line of jumping the shark imo. 

Queen Elizabeth II
  • Queen Elizabeth II

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:40 AM Edited by Queen Elizabeth II, 19 August 2017 - 01:40 AM.

It's fine. I guess. But I don't think that GTA should be set in modern settings again. It's dull.

• Kevert and Xiled like this

Richie Makyura
  • Richie Makyura

I clawed my way out of Willamette

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:50 AM

Its a mdern era ._. Dont tell me. Another guy who wants San Andreas 2?

slimeball supreme
  • slimeball supreme

off topic > writers discussion > red triangle

• Members
  • GoSquared
  • Best Closet Furry 2016

Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:51 AM

no. it's not been used enough and probably needs more functionality.

text messages in V were basically just glorified emails you couldnt reply to. there was a 'jobs' function that served no purpose. i could go on honestly

• straightupmenace and The Deadite like this

CGFforLife
  • CGFforLife

Grand Theft Auto V: A huge improvement over snore (IV)

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 19 August 2017 - 02:47 AM

Well, GTA was supposed to be satire of america and real life and that's why nearly everything can be possible with a phone ;)

ViceOfLiberty
  • ViceOfLiberty

Prankster

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 19 August 2017 - 11:17 AM

Well, GTA was supposed to be satire of america and real life and that's why nearly everything can be possible with a phone ;)

Vice City was to be a "satire of america in 1986" and Tommy didn't do his hair with a flowbee.

GTA is meant to be an adventure to the depths of various criminal underworlds. The satire is meant to be in the ambiance. 

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, WILLY!

• Facade
  • United-States
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 19 August 2017 - 03:04 PM

Vice City was to be a "satire of america in 1986" and Tommy didn't do his hair with a flowbee.

How do you know what he does and doesn't do between loading screens 

• Stevenslender123, StormBreaker and CGFforLife like this

ViceOfLiberty
  • ViceOfLiberty

Prankster

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 19 August 2017 - 03:05 PM

How do you know what he does and doesn't do between loading screens 

Well played.

R3D-RAB1T
  • R3D-RAB1T

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 August 2017 - 03:23 PM

I say the mobile phones should stay in the modern setting like gta 4 had those rinky dink phones we had in the early 00s before apples iphone but nowa days the phone should play a bigger role kinda, not like watch dogs with the hacking and stuff but with the music and radio app that got cut from the game, maybe some mobile games, the new Polaroid picture taking phone case - stuff like that for more personal use instead of just the internet

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 21 August 2017 - 04:32 AM

I say the mobile phones should stay in the modern setting like gta 4 had those rinky dink phones we had in the early 00s before apples iphone but nowa days the phone should play a bigger role kinda, not like watch dogs with the hacking and stuff but with the music and radio app that got cut from the game, maybe some mobile games, the new Polaroid picture taking phone case - stuff like that for more personal use instead of just the internet

I was thinking it would be cool if we could play mobile versions of the top down GTAs (Even though they don't exist in person). Or any kind of mobile game really. Would be funny to get a parody of Candy Crush.;)

• The American Army 1775 likes this

ViceOfLiberty
  • ViceOfLiberty

Prankster

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:18 PM

I was thinking it would be cool if we could play mobile versions of the top down GTAs (Even though they don't exist in person). Or any kind of mobile game really. Would be funny to get a parody of Candy Crush. ;)

As much as I think this is an awesome idea, I just can't justify the dev time it would take to accomplish such a thing when we're still lacking so many basic aspects of crime in free roam.

Neon_Dreaming
  • Neon_Dreaming

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:37 PM

THE NOKIA IS MIGHTIER THAN THE ASSAULT RIFLE.
Nokia-Mobile-Used-For-Hammer-Hard-Work-V
  • GTA-Biker, Stevenslender123, The Deadite and 6 others like this

Am Shaegar
  • Am Shaegar

Chartered Accountant

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 August 2017 - 07:01 AM

Yes, I prefer the way phone works in GTA SA. Just receive calls at certain points in the story. No reading messages and other nonsense. Phone must have interesting features that could make the game more interesting, but should be left to the player's to decide about what feature to choose and when to activate/deactivate.

Watch Dogs 2 has shown how to make it work.

• ViceOfLiberty likes this

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 25 August 2017 - 11:30 AM

While I understand that all the functionality available through the game phone is signum temporis, but I'm not exactly happy how the phone made the computers redundant in the game.

There's a laptop in the Jimmy's room and Franklin has one as well, but there is absolutely no reason to use them, if you can check all the internet pages via phone. I don't mind the role what the phone has in the game, but I wouldn't mind creating a difference between checking the internet on the computer and the phone (maybe the accessibility of the pages or resolution of the screen), for the sake of reality and necessity of various elements of the features.

Good Hombre
  • Good Hombre

I'm done with this sh*t

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 25 August 2017 - 01:26 PM

Not really, phones play a big role in our lives. I just would like to be able to buy different models.

ViceOfLiberty
  • ViceOfLiberty

Prankster

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:43 PM

Not really, phones play a big role in our lives. I just would like to be able to buy different models.

I like the idea. I'd trade in the iPhone knockoff for a real gangsta go-phone anyday!

• Good Hombre likes this

Riedy
  • Riedy

Player Hater

• New Members
  • Germany

Posted 27 August 2017 - 04:43 AM

I really love the realism of the phone and the effort put into the internet content, but I wouldn't mind it if the next game went retro.

Bare
  • Bare

fat

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 27 August 2017 - 05:12 AM

If possible I would like Rockstar to make both a new gta game set in modern times with a smartphone and also one set back in like the 1980s or 1990s again without one.

I don't particularly care about the phone though I just think setting the game in modern day isn't always the best choice.

• GTA-Biker, Le Shark and ViceOfLiberty like this

Le Shark
  • Le Shark

trustno1

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 27 August 2017 - 08:40 AM

If possible I would like Rockstar to make both a new gta game set in modern times with a smartphone and also one set back in like the 1980s or 1990s again without one.

I don't particularly care about the phone though I just think setting the game in modern day isn't always the best choice.

This.

Although a good GTA game without a smartphone that does everything for you might be quite hard for a lot of modern casual gamers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users