» «
Photo

Official GTA V story appreciation thread

10 replies to this topic
Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:20 PM

Title's pretty self explanatory.

For me two moments from the story stand out in particular. Firstly Michael calling out Trevor for being a hipster in the way to scout out the Paleto Bay bank. Trevor's reaction is honestly one of the funniest things I've ever heard in a video game,

I don't know how Steve and Ned achieved it, but it sounded more like a casual bar conversation than reading lines from a script. Great voice work to pull it off in such a convincing manner.

My other favourite bit is Bury The Hatchet. It's a stark contrast compared to most of the rest of the story, but a good one at that.

It has that New Jersey flashback feel from MP3 which I also loved. The confrontation between Michael and Trevor when Trevor finds out about Brad's fate is also really well acted.

Anyway that's enough from me. Please share your favourite moments from the story.:)
  • UltraGizmo64, Dr. Robotnik, theGTAking101 and 2 others like this

Tonesta
  • Tonesta

Rat

• Members

Posted 17 August 2017 - 06:05 PM

I think the first twenty or so missions - up until Three's Company really - the story is absolutely superb.

Starts with a bang and a bit of intrigue, then slows it down and introduces you to each of the major characters (and their significant others) in turn.

It's sets up Michael's depression, anger and then criminal relapse in a thoroughly believable way; then the background, set up and execution of the Vangelico heist is masterful. Then we're introduced to Trevor, and though it's a bit off the wall, it's another fun section of the story. Finally we get Trevor and Michael's reunion in Fame or Shame which, although it's a bit of a silly mission, is absolutely crackling with tension.

Even Dead Man Walking still makes sense as Michael's past and present collide, and leave him serving at the whims of the FIB.

Unfortunately, I think the story takes a dip after that.

There's still some highlights - the OP includes two of them; I like Caida Libre as well - but I don't think the overall writing sustains the brilliance of its first act.

• Algonquin Assassin and Bakamomo like this

Good Hombre
  • Good Hombre

GTA IV MP > GTA Online

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:22 PM Edited by Good Hombre, 17 August 2017 - 07:29 PM.

This is my favourite part of the story:

Spoiler

Michael's dialogue is the most powerful one in the game IMO. "Surviving is winning, Franklin. Everything else is just bullsh*t, fairytales spun by those affraid to look life in the eye. Whatever you do Franklin, survive."

• Algonquin Assassin, Dr. Robotnik, Roger Cheeto and 1 other like this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:46 PM

Title's pretty self explanatory.

Eh tu, Brutus? How can you betray your core beliefs (or is it Snore beliefs....sorry, kidding and I couldn't resist) by making this thread?

Seriously, great thread!I

I also love all the dialog in Bury the Hatchet. From beginning to end, with Trevor leaving Michael's house in a blind rage, to Cheng and his goons misinterpreting their relationship as a gay love thing, all the way to Trevor mocking Cheng's accent on the plane flying it back to the Airstrip.

Unlike some people in this forum, I love all or most of the story. Even the Frielander scenes with his bored, condescending, pompous advice to Michael. And, yeah, the whole "Proto-Hipster" thing between Michael and Trevor in the car in one of the Paleto Heist setup missions,

• Algonquin Assassin and CGFforLife like this

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:44 PM

Despite my gripes with the story I don't find it terrible. I don't even consider it the worst in the series like a lot of people do, just disappointing compared to the previous game. Up until Trevor comes to LS I really enjoyed it.

Nervous Ron, Crystal Maze, The Long Stretch, Dead Man Walking, and Three's Company are all great missions IMO. Especially Dead Man Walking, the atmosphere in that mission is amazing and the morgue is a great interior to explore with mods. If there were fewer FIB missions, and they had that kind of mystery feeling, I'd like that part of the plot more.
  • Algonquin Assassin, Dr. Robotnik, Payne Killer and 1 other like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:58 PM

Even the Frielander scenes with his bored, condescending, pompous advice to Michael.

I was going to mention these, but it somehow slipped my mind. It's a great way of adding depth to Michael's character IMO and they almost always occur during a significant moment in the story like when he pulls down the house or Trevor coming back in his life.

• CGFforLife likes this

SabreGT
  • SabreGT

And the winner by knockout is...!

• BUSTED!
  • England

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:44 AM

Bury the Hatchet for me, the Graveyard scene is one of the finest written & acted scenes you will see in a video game, it also shows how well multiple protags can work within the narrative when executed correctly.

I love the scene with Mike & Franklin in Father/Son as you can straight away tell that the characters have a natural rapport with each other and again there's some gorgeous Dialogue thrown in with the whole three-bit gangster lecture, and Phil Collins is thrown in for good measure.   :p

I loved The Jewel Store Job simply for how down to earth it is, you forget a thousand things every day, pal. Make sure this is one of em. :cool:  

Whilst I thought it could have been more fleshed out, I did enjoy the Blaine County portion of the narrative with Trevor at war With The Lost Aztecas & O Neils. 

The car theft Missions for Devin are worth a mention, we need more of them in the narrative of the next GTA IMO.

Trevors anger fuelled rant towards Michael when looking over Los Santos was also a highlight. 

Honestly, I have always liked the narrative in V as I do believe underneath the layers of satire & Micheal Bay missions, there is an interesting story centred around betrayal, loyalty, friendship, hypocrisy, shallowness, self-loathing..and most of all greed. the script can be funny, clever, thought provoking, highly quotable & even powerful. could it have been more fleshed out? sure, is it flawless? No, but ill always hold it in a mostly high regard. 
  • Algonquin Assassin and Pastry like this

CGFforLife
  • CGFforLife

Bitchass Bullsh*t

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:45 AM

Like ChiroVette I love all the story, it's just against most people taste. Anyway, Great thread AA :)

For appreciation:
During The Long Stretch, when Franklin find out that D set them out, the three panicked, and the camera keep swaying around really add some feels that they are f*cked

During the Paleto Score Setup, even this is just a heist preparation, this mission has funny thing like:
1.Michael sarcasm rant
2.Michael call Trevor a hipster, they firstly talk about the bank, then it went to how corrupt the police was, then it suddenly went to the way Trevor dress, and finally Michael call Trevor a Proto-Hipster, they really funny
3.Trevor throw rock at Michael for no reason

During Bury The Hatchet, that mission is very emotional, I can really feels how Trevor realizes Michael betrayed him

During Fresh Meat, when Trevor trips on the fence and Franklin burst out laughing (Improvised Scene) it's really funny, this is the only game where I laughed so hard, I mean the scene was unpredictable, I see Trevor actually jumps and he tripped, it's very funny

There's still many, but I will continue it later
  • Algonquin Assassin likes this

KonradGM
  • KonradGM

GM of himself

• Members

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by KonradGM, 4 weeks ago.

I like metacommentary aspect of gta v a lot, sadly the "story aspect " got hurt because of it :/ if you think about it, the main antagonist of gta v is literally capitalism [ i consider devin weston the main antagonist, that you kill at the end of true ending] and not really an antagonist of character if you get what i mean.

bury the hatchet is the mission no doubt, especially from michael perspective, the music, the echoes of the past it was 10/10 for me.

First heist and the jimmy in boat mission were great for michael and franklin relationship, and that scene by the pool with michael and phis Collins music fitted so perfectly into current michael life.

As much as i don't like the merryweather heist aspect of the story that i always found to be the most "unfitting" compared to the rest, i liked when trevor is scoping the port... i guess it isn't exatly story, but i liked the more chill mission in the world where you do something that npc's do, made the world feel more real.

• Algonquin Assassin and Pastry like this

Dr. Robotnik
  • Dr. Robotnik

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 4 weeks ago

Unlike most here, I really liked the FIB portions of the story. Those missions were where the game really hit its stride with regard to its tone; Dead Man Walking, By the Book, The Bureau Raid (the subtle version especially was solid gold), The Wrap-Up, and even Ending A were awesome. The Long Stretch was pretty much the only good mission in the hood plotline precisely because it stuck to that gritty feel.

Seeing Michael get to show some charisma in missions like "Casing the Jewel Store" was also always welcome.

• Algonquin Assassin, theGTAking101 and Pastry like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 4 weeks ago

Unlike most here, I really liked the FIB portions of the story. Those missions were where the game really hit its stride with regard to its tone; Dead Man Walking, By the Book, The Bureau Raid (the subtle version especially was solid gold), The Wrap-Up, and even Ending A were awesome. The Long Stretch was pretty much the only good mission in the hood plotline precisely because it stuck to that gritty feel.

Seeing Michael get to show some charisma in missions like "Casing the Jewel Store" was also always welcome.

I have to admit that despite the FIB part of the story being somewhat drowning I didn't mind Dead Man Walking and By The Book for their gritty, shock value. 

• CGFforLife likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users