Quantcast

» «
Photo

Does the PSP version have a higher resolution than PS2?

37 replies to this topic
ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:11 PM

Um...it's been a week and those cables still haven't arrived...

Veroder
  • Veroder

That guy

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:27 PM

eBay usually gives you the estimated time of arrival, what does it say?

ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 September 2017 - 02:25 AM Edited by ClaudeIzABadAzz, 27 September 2017 - 03:36 AM.

I don't have access to the page. Someone else bought them for me, but I think it was between Thursday two weeks ago, and Wednesday last week.
EDIT: They arrived today. The image quality is a lot clearer, and I mean a lot clearer, although one thing I do notice is that the jagged lines are extremely noticeable, and somewhat bothersome, but I guess I'll have to get used to them. Thank you guys for all your help, it is much appreciated.
EDIT: I have decided to switch back to composite, as the lines running down the screen are extremely bothersome.

demilich88
  • demilich88

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:53 AM

Maybe your component cables are not the best quality and are not shielded properly? I got these a while back from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.c...omponent cables

Also you could take a step higher and buy a ps2 memory card with FreeMcboot preloaded and have to ability to run GSM to force any game run to at 480p instead of 480i. The image is definitely much nicer, especially on my Phillips Widescreen CRT.

There are other ways to de-interlace 480i, but are expensive.

For example with a XRGB mini Framemeister or some other sort of scaler.

http://psx-scene.com...feedback-61808/

But you definitely need the component cables to run games at 480p/

ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 October 2017 - 03:35 AM

Maybe your component cables are not the best quality and are not shielded properly? I got these a while back from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.c...omponent cables

Also you could take a step higher and buy a ps2 memory card with FreeMcboot preloaded and have to ability to run GSM to force any game run to at 480p instead of 480i. The image is definitely much nicer, especially on my Phillips Widescreen CRT.

There are other ways to de-interlace 480i, but are expensive.

For example with a XRGB mini Framemeister or some other sort of scaler.

But you definitely need the component cables to run games at 480p/

Thanks. I have switched back to Component (...Again) only because the colors are a lot better. The crappy blurry quality is still there, but the colors have improved. Do you now where I can get GSM? What does it do, force resolutions?

Foffy
  • Foffy

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 October 2017 - 08:27 AM

Doesn't the PS2 version have some blurry filter applied to the whole game that the PSP version doesn't have?

You can notice this if you compare the game even in emulators.

ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

GTA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 October 2017 - 05:06 PM

Doesn't the PS2 version have some blurry filter applied to the whole game that the PSP version doesn't have?

You can notice this if you compare the game even in emulators.

Ahh, I don't think so. I think you're thinking of the trails effect on VCS.

demilich88
  • demilich88

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 October 2017 - 05:38 PM Edited by demilich88, 03 October 2017 - 05:45 PM.

Yea I don't think GTA LCS has a "trails" options compared to GTA 3, GTA VC, etc. But to be honest I did notice the difference in image quality even when running GTA LCS with component cables compared to GTA 3, GTA VC, and GTA VCS and not a good difference, its much more blurrier in general! Originally I was running my PS2 with component cables on a flatscreen hdtv and thought maybe 480i didn't look good but it was just the 480i resolution of GTA LCS that was looking crappy. Not sure why this is because all of the GTA ps2 games only run at 480i and do not support 480p.

I then ran GSM to force the game to run 480p and also tried it with Xploder which is a boot disc that forces it to run in 480p or higher resolutions. But 480p is probably the only good option with Xploder. It progressively zooms out the screen the higher you go in resolution. GSM on the other hand does not zoom out if you run the game at 720p, 1080i, 1080p, etc. Just keep in mind that if you go higher than 480p with GSM, GTA LCS already has a widescreen option, and if you have it on like I usually do, then running it at 720p, 1080i, or 1080p might look cropped from the top and bottom or sides. I think it really depends on your tv. I usually stick with 480p, but running in 1080i on my widescreen CRT looks awesome! :) It crops a little at the sides but its no big issue. Especially since you can zoom in and out with the Select button.

http://www.ign.com/a...-for-ps2-review

You can get GSM here.

In the first post in attached files.

GSM_038.zip

Once you extract it. Drag the GSM.elf file to a thumbstick and plug in your ps2. But you need a memory card with FreeMcboot, I got mine from ebay for $10 bucks.

Then when you boot up your ps2 with your FreeMcboot memory card and you can run a program called ULaunchELF to run .elf files. Browse to your thumbstick and run the GSM.elf. One thing to note is that some thumbsticks might not be supported by the ps2. I have a PS2 slim.

I keep the FreeMcboot memory card in the second slot and use the first slot for save games only!

I think any ps2 model that is SCPH-90000 or later will not support FreeMcboot. So keep that in mind!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users