Quantcast

» «
Photo

Did you think the friendship system was good or bad?

41 replies to this topic
EtherTakeover
  • EtherTakeover

Player Hater

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 14 August 2017 - 03:00 PM

A lot of people really didnt like the friendship system of GTA IV,but in my opinion it was one of those amazing features that made GTA IV stand out among the other GTAs.
  • simonp92, confederatestatesgta, eCola and 2 others like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 14 August 2017 - 03:17 PM

Most underrated feature in the series IMO. I've been wanting to hang out friends/girlfriends since Vice City. The girlfrirnds in San Andreas were ok, but you couldn't do much with them and their dialogue was boring and robotic.

Not only in GTA IV you can pretty much do everything with then you can do by yourself it's also a great character builder and you get more depth from the dialogue exchange than just from the story alone.

It's a great feature that makes GTA IV feel less lonely than its predecessors.
  • Tycek, simonp92, gunziness and 16 others like this

Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

prettier n nastier

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:05 PM

I loved it, I don't know why people hate it.
  • Mr_Rager likes this

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:44 PM

I think it was great feature that added a lot to GTA IV, as not only you could engage in nicely done mini games (bowling or pool), spend time having great time (drinking and watching shows), but also learn a lot about backstory of certain characters. And there were of course perks waiting for you at certain levels of friendship.

I would really love to see the feature to be back in its full glory, instead of the handicapped system from V.

• eCola and Mr_Rager like this

confederatestatesgta
  • confederatestatesgta

garou the badass hero hunter from one punch man.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:20 PM

yea it was really fun. i liked it a lot. i didint even mind being called either. the only downside is that you cant hang out with people at the same time. i would love to have roman and jacob go bowling. or brucie with roman. or others. that would have been fun.

• Algonquin Assassin, Cr!minal, Tycek and 3 others like this

Titabafon
  • Titabafon

Player Hater

• Members
  • Cameroon

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:57 PM

Hey if some gta5 fan boy was here u would know what will happen 😯😯😯😯😇😇😇😇😟 especially to Algonquin assassin bro
If some gta5 fan boy was here u would have gotten his sh*t concerning this thread especially to Algonquin assassin

TheOriginalGunslinger
  • TheOriginalGunslinger

Rocktober!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:57 PM Edited by TheOriginalGunslinger, 14 August 2017 - 11:01 PM.

It was alright. Some people do overreact a bit when it comes to the phone call aspect of it. You don't get phone calls constantly as some mention it. A bit over dramatic don't you think? The whole "Roman only wanting to go bowling" is too much played out. In my GTA IV he actually wants to go play darts or go to the strip club more than bowling most of the time.

If you get annoyed by Roman or any current friend in your contacts just invite them to any activity > pick them up > drive to the safe house in Bohan > go across the street to the apartment building that's right in front of the safe house > head upstairs to the roof > be the first one on the roof and watch your friend fall off the building and have a good laugh.
  • Algonquin Assassin and AuSsIeThUnDeR36 like this

SMACKED!
  • SMACKED!

Every single day, every time I pray, I'll be missing you.

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:38 PM

It's like "What am I gonna do now? I 100%'ed this game. Nothing left to do here.".

It's a perfect feature whoose dialogues are updatable troughout you go completing the storyline, I always wondered what could the friendship feature could look like once you've killed Big Smoke in San Andreas or before The Green Sabre events.

• theGTAking101 likes this

AuSsIeThUnDeR36
  • AuSsIeThUnDeR36

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 15 August 2017 - 03:41 AM

The only thing I didn't like about the friend thing was if you get called and didn't want to go on an outing you have to accept then they are on the other side of town and you have only an hour to get to them. So your only option is to taxi trip skip or call them back to cancel plans.
My fun thing to do with girlfriends is play pool with them at the Playboy X safehouse.
It was a well executed game mechanic but they should have called less so you are encouraged to call them yourself.
  • gunziness likes this

fashion
  • fashion

f*ck the planet till it spins on a broken axis

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:24 AM

I think it's a pretty neat system and it's a shame GTAV dumbed it down so much. Every single friend and girlfriend is interesting to hang around with. Even though I maxed out everyone before and saw what each friend has to offer, I still do them over again on my new playthrough. I'm early in the game and Michelle already doesn't have anything new to say and I went with Roman about 5 times on a date.

It's kind of addicting to do them between missions. Minigames are fun to do with friends and when you're in a rush, you can just quickly drop by a diner.
  • Tycek likes this

MattedSpam
  • MattedSpam

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:35 AM

For me it was a great feature...It allowed me to get to know the characters more...Good post. :^:

Neon_Dreaming
  • Neon_Dreaming

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:39 PM

I liked it, Niko's friends were fleshed out characters with lots of dialogue so things never felt stale. Hanging out with them doing normal fun activities such as bowling and drinking was a welcome reprieve from Niko's grim life of crime. It adds another dimension to the characters seeing them engage in normal activities, just hanging out. During this time they could pass for ordinary civilians.

Brucie is the funniest with the best lines, some of the sh1t he says is just hilarious, Dwayne and Niko are kindred spirits who understand each other and can share their feelings and experiences knowing the other gets it. Jacob is a loyal friend who is chill af and always has Niko's back. Packie is a hothead but thinks highly of Niko, hoping that Niko will take Kate out. And last but not least kausin Roman, who above all is family, more of a brother than a cousin to Niko. And most importantly introduces Niko to the finest game of the American people, scrap that the finest game in the world, bowling!
  • The Deadite, JB1982 and Mr_Rager like this

Good Hombre
  • Good Hombre

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:00 PM Edited by Good Hombre, 19 August 2017 - 11:43 AM.

It was great, getting to know more about them and hearing their stories added more depth to the story and the characters. In V it was a step backward because they don't call you and the dialogues repeat a lot.

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:23 PM

The same people who complain about friends calling you in GTA IV, also play Online where contacts actually do call you every 5 mins to remind you of sh*t you don't care about.
  • B Dawg, Tycek, ClaudeSpeed1911 and 3 others like this

SmokesWithCigs
  • SmokesWithCigs

recovering addict

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:56 PM Edited by SmokesWithCigs, 15 August 2017 - 09:57 PM.

the only bad thing about the friendship system was the phonecalls. the benefits made it worth it. speaking  of which how do you dismiss dwaynes back up?

Mr_Rager
  • Mr_Rager

Cosmic Warrior

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:03 AM

Lots of worthwhile conversations to hear. Packie and Dwayne especially, Niko opens up around them. Dwayne mentions being poor and they compare lives. Packie talks about some serious abuse from his father iirc, actually difficult to listen to.
  • B Dawg, theGTAking101 and eCola like this

fashion
  • fashion

f*ck the planet till it spins on a broken axis

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:16 AM

The same people who complain about friends calling you in GTA IV, also play Online where contacts actually do call you every 5 mins to remind you of sh*t you don't care about.

Lester completely spams the sh*t out of you, Malc and that Agent guy soon followed when their updates arrived.
  • B Dawg, ClaudeSpeed1911, Piggsy pls and 1 other like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 16 August 2017 - 12:18 PM

the only bad thing about the friendship system was the phonecalls. the benefits made it worth it. speaking  of which how do you dismiss dwaynes back up?

There isn't technically unless you die or get in a car and drive off before the thugs can get into it.
  • Piggsy pls likes this

gunziness
  • gunziness

Homie

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:34 PM

I love it, the only thing I dont like is that once all the conversation lines are played, both characters will stay mute in future hang-outs. There should be two kinds of conversation types: story-related and random-chatter (its kinda like this already but still), the second type being repeated randomly once all lines are played.
  • Algonquin Assassin, Piggsy pls, theGTAking101 and 1 other like this

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:50 PM

There isn't technically unless you die or get in a car and drive off before the thugs can get into it.
Niko dismisses them himself after a certain while.
  • Algonquin Assassin likes this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Death May Die

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:06 PM

Idling too long will probably make them go away.

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:45 PM

Niko dismisses them himself after a certain while.

Oh hang on. Yeah you're right.

It would be better if there was a command to dismiss them though.

• Piggsy pls likes this

The American Army 1775
  • The American Army 1775

Joseph Stalin

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:40 AM Edited by The American Army 1775, 17 August 2017 - 04:41 AM.

It is really annoying when you are in Alderney and Roman calls you to say "Cousin, it's your cousin! Let's go out to eat."
And if you say no, or simply reject their calls, their friendship level will go down.
I never pay attention to those girlfriends. They are not so good in my opinion.

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:01 AM

I love it, the only thing I dont like is that once all the conversation lines are played, both characters will stay mute in future hang-outs. There should be two kinds of conversation types: story-related and random-chatter (its kinda like this already but still), the second type being repeated randomly once all lines are played.

Despite my gripes with GTA V's the one thing it does really well is relaying story infomation/events during conversations. Makes it feels like the characters are still apart of the story and not just segregated in game play.

In GTA IV it's too vague or implied to be anything explicit. The closest we get is when Michelle asks what happened to Vlad. It's probably the only thing I'd change.

I'd love to hear Niko and Roman talk after what happened when they fled to Bohan or to Packie after TLC.
  • gunziness, KonradGM and Neon_Dreaming like this

Neon_Dreaming
  • Neon_Dreaming

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:09 PM

I like how after a first date you can call Roman and Niko will talk about the date with him, I learnt that here.

JF Prodigy
  • JF Prodigy

(눈_눈)

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:09 PM

I liked the friends calling to hang out. It was a nice touch for people like me who start to ask "what do I do now?" after putting in 200+ hours into the game. It added some depth to the characters and their relationship with Niko... I think.

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:06 AM

I liked the friends calling to hang out.

It might not be a popular opinion as such, but i didn't mind them calling. It added some relevance to the system rather than being something pushed to the side to be forgotten about.

KonradGM
  • KonradGM

GM of himself

• Members

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:58 AM Edited by KonradGM, 18 August 2017 - 09:01 AM.

Great feature, love the fact that you can interact with important characters outside of missions, wish it was in san andreas where i could hang out with sweet kendl etc who are living right next to me but i never see them... lol

slightly annoying when they call you at the worst time possible tough, thankfully both tlad and tbogt and V fixed it.

I don't get why they made less activities with friends in V, or at least limited the possibilities, in IV i think you could do everything with everyone

Also am i the only one who didn't mind friends calling you when the game released but during the more recent playtroughts got more annoyed by them? like i feel during my recent playtroughs they call at the worst possible times from all the years of playing this game  :lol:

X-Vector
  • X-Vector

Knight Who Says Nay

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:20 AM

It's a nice feature, but could have been executed better.

Dates should have been player iniated rather than the reverse (with the occasional disgruntled call or text message if you really neglected your friends for a long period), there should have been an option for multiple activities during the same trip and the time window from call to pickup should have been extended by letting the player set the day and time.

I'd also liked to have seen a better approach to "getting lucky", where I'd have chosen to not go after sex on a first night out with for example Michelle and would have thus received a positive note from her rather than a thumbs down and a bad date notification (which doesn't make sense with her).

Then there's the amnesia factor, where you can ask an internet girlfriend out after being dumped by her and she won't have any recollection of Niko - I can see why Rockstar have chosen that approach, but it's still really jarring.  

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:54 PM

Dates should have been player iniated rather than the reverse (with the occasional disgruntled call or text message if you really neglected your friends for a long period), there should have been an option for multiple activities during the same trip

Change regarding the first problem was already addressed with TLaD in which the friends were calling much rarer (I believe in my recent playthrough it happened once), and then it was up to the player if he wanted to call them.

You could actually complete three different activities while on one date.If you want to start another one just simply drive to another activity location. I was doing that many times, first hitting bowling alley with Roman, then getting something to eat and ending in the bar.

• Algonquin Assassin likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users