Quantcast

» «
Photo

Will GTA V make it into the World Video Game Hall of Fame?

14 replies to this topic
Giantsgiants
  • Giantsgiants

Boss

• Members
  • Mauritius

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:10 AM

Before you ask, yes, there is a video game hall of fame. The World Video Game Hall of Fame was founded in 2015 and is run by the Strong Museum of Play in Rochester, New York.

Video games become eligible for the World Video Game Hall of Fame by meeting four basic criteria:

• Icon Status - is widely recognized and remembered
  • Longevity - is more than a passing fad and has enjoyed popularity over time
  • Geographical Reach - meets the above criteria across international boundaries
  • Influence - has exerted significant influence on the design and development of other games, on other forms of entertainment, or on poplular culture and society in general.

I wouldn't be surprised if GTA V made it into the hall of fame. It's easy to see that it passes Icon Status and Longevity with flying colors. It meets Geographical Reach because GTA V remains a top seller in many countries (and it's even still the best selling game in some countries). Now influence is a bit trickier to explain. My best argument is that GTA V's sandbox gameplay did have an influence on other game developers, resulting in a boom of new games and even franchises that play like a GTA V-esque sandbox (i.e. Watch Dogs, Mafia III, Just Cause 3). There's also GTA V's multiplayer. There's so much openness and freedom, combined with ongoing updates. I've seen posts in the Online section of this forum stating that there's nothing like it.

Do you think GTA V will eventually make it into the Video Game Hall of Fame? Discuss.

StangOne50
  • StangOne50

BEASTMODE

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:06 PM

If there really is a video game HOF then yea Im pretty sure this game will be in it lol

Yinepi
  • Yinepi

Wepwawet Wannabe

• Members
  • Egypt

Posted 12 August 2017 - 03:52 PM Edited by Yinepi, 12 August 2017 - 04:13 PM.

No. Simply because I do not think it meets the criteria. Recognized, sure. But remembered? How exactly? Most people I know in reality that played the game when it first released barely remember much from the game other than Trevor.

Influence? To an extent. It has influenced popular culture, but it hasn't influenced much in terms of game design. That would be best reserved for the original GTA. GTA5 didn't influence Mafia III nor Just Cause 3 to much of a major enough extent. Both these series already had established themes and styles to expand upon. It was already a given hint that Mafia series would eventually go full open-world when they released the Jimmy and Joe DLC's for Mafia II back in 2010 and the Just Cause series already had ten years of history to expand upon, and the third mostly takes its game design from Just Cause 2 and attempts to expand upon that than it does the concepts of GTA5.

Longevity? If it weren't for Online and mods most people would not be playing the game much. But technically Rockstar counts Online mode is a separate entity, and mods do not count toward increasing game longevity as they're third party content.

• Algonquin Assassin likes this

ExTerminator
  • ExTerminator

Heil Houser!

• Members
  • Iraq

Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:21 PM

Icon Status - is widely recognized and remembered

I can agree than GTA V is widely recognized and remembered, but so are nearly every other AAA titles released in this decade. 

Longevity - is more than a passing fad and has enjoyed popularity over time

Honestly, no. While Online has seen an increase in popularity, story mode hasn't. Aside from modders, nobody really plays V anymore. And according to The Benz himself, GTA V and GTA Online are technically separate entities, so Online's popularity isn't correlated with V's.

Geographical Reach - meets the above criteria across international boundaries

This is a rather pointless criteria since every mainstream AAA game is popular all around the Earth.

Influence - has exerted significant influence on the design and development of other games, on other forms of entertainment, or on poplular culture and society in general.

A strict no for GTA V again. I don't see any other game directly influenced by GTA V, but I rather see the opposite- V influenced by  elements of the Saints Row, Call of Duty, Just Cause and the general popular culture. 

And the only post 2010 video game nominated in that HoF is Minecraft. Only 3 games winning the nominations were released after 2000, with GTA III being one of them. IMHO V won't be inducted into that HoF anytime soon.

• Algonquin Assassin, D9fred95 and The Deadite like this

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:11 PM Edited by Zello, 12 August 2017 - 06:11 PM.

GTA 3 should get inducted

O.Z
  • O.Z

Trevor Philips

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:24 PM

Short answer. YES

• CGFforLife likes this

Giantsgiants
  • Giantsgiants

Boss

• Members
  • Mauritius

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:54 PM

GTA 3 should get inducted

It has been already.

Tomasak
  • Tomasak

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Spam Commando 2017
    Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:30 PM

what about san andreas? That must be there for sure, even it's quite over rated for me.

• The Deadite and Brian_O_Malley like this

D9fred95
  • D9fred95

10 Franklings out of 10

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:42 PM

I say no. VGHoF seems like it's reserved for games that have had a huge impact on gaming in general. GTA 3 makes sense for it to be there seeing as the amount of clones it spawned in it's wake. GTA V on the other hand? What does V do better than other games besides a detailed world and it's multiplayer?

I'd say San Andreas deserves a spot since much like GTA 3, SA impacted the industry quite well. It layed down foundations that even V itself followed at times.

• Algonquin Assassin and Yinepi like this

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:01 PM

I'd need to see what other video games are in there before making a decision.

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:13 AM

Do you think GTA V will eventually make it into the Video Game Hall of Fame? Discuss.

Absolutely and without question. GTA V isn't just an amazing game, but the great ideas and motifs it brought the the table are truly amazing. And this isn't a fanboy thing, either. I am a HUGE fan of Saint's Row IV, for instance, and can play that over and over again. But I DO NOT see that as Hall of Fame material. So it isn't about what I like, per se.

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:50 AM

Yes. I'm pretty sure R* have more than enough money from shark card sales to bribe in a spot for it. Should be a sweet deal.

• Tomasak, Brian_O_Malley and Yinepi like this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:12 AM Edited by ChiroVette, 13 August 2017 - 06:14 AM.

Yes. I'm pretty sure R* have more than enough money from shark card sales to bribe in a spot for it. Should be a sweet deal.

Lucky for the Housers V is such a huge improvement over Snore that no bribery would be necessary. On the other hand, all the gold in Fort Knox wouldn't get Snore into anything but the Hall O' Shame for garbage games.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Besides, V would get into the Hall of Fame even if it wasn't total awesomeness, just for doing the gaming world and the GTA fanbase a huge favor as illustrated by the .gif in my signature, right?

• CGFforLife likes this

Johnny Spaz
  • Johnny Spaz

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:49 AM

The f*ck is snore?

And No, GTA V is the most relevant GTA right now up until 6 comes out
  • Algonquin Assassin, theGTAking101 and Brian_O_Malley like this

CGFforLife
  • CGFforLife

Bitchass Bullsh*t

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:59 AM

Obviously yes, this masterpiece really deserve it, but let's not forget about older GTA that also deserve it (exception: GTA IV and EFLC of course, which really disappointing)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users