Why does everyone hate Jimmy so much?

34 replies to this topic
ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

I think hate is too strong a word. To be honest, there are worse characters in the game that you can hate as they have been in previous GTA's and I don't think I have ever really hated any character.

What I don't like about Jimmy isn't anything to do with him individually but about Michael's family as a whole. That they blame Michael for everything and are unrepentant regarding their own actions. Jimmy tries selling Michael's boat behind his back and it's Michael's fault. Tracey essentially whores herself to try and get famous and she then says that Michael has ruined her life when he stops her. Amanda sleeps around and, again, it's Michael's fault. Now, Michael is no saint but not everything can be pinned on him. But they do so anyway. I find that attitude annoying.

The key word there is annoying. Because for the most part I find them fun to be around.

I think you touch on good points.  Hate is a strong word, BUT I believe that the intent of the writers is that we were supposed to dislike Jimmy in the story for all the reasons you delineated.

Its the mark of a good story when it creates such controversy and debate. Writers WANT you to be emotionally attached to their stories. They want you to really like certain characters, dislike some, and hate others, at least insofar as while you are immersed in the movie, book, show, or game.

You aren't supposed to LOVE every character, nor do writers want us to be emotionally neutral about them.

• JB1982 likes this

JB1982
  • JB1982

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 2 weeks ago

I think hate is too strong a word. To be honest, there are worse characters in the game that you can hate as they have been in previous GTA's and I don't think I have ever really hated any character.

What I don't like about Jimmy isn't anything to do with him individually but about Michael's family as a whole. That they blame Michael for everything and are unrepentant regarding their own actions. Jimmy tries selling Michael's boat behind his back and it's Michael's fault. Tracey essentially whores herself to try and get famous and she then says that Michael has ruined her life when he stops her. Amanda sleeps around and, again, it's Michael's fault. Now, Michael is no saint but not everything can be pinned on him. But they do so anyway. I find that attitude annoying.

The key word there is annoying. Because for the most part I find them fun to be around.

I think you touch on good points.  Hate is a strong word, BUT I believe that the intent of the writers is that we were supposed to dislike Jimmy in the story for all the reasons you delineated.

Its the mark of a good story when it creates such controversy and debate. Writers WANT you to be emotionally attached to their stories. They want you to really like certain characters, dislike some, and hate others, at least insofar as while you are immersed in the movie, book, show, or game.

You aren't supposed to LOVE every character, nor do writers want us to be emotionally neutral about them.

I agree. I think a lot of it is also down to the individual (in the case of GTA, us the players) and what appeals/doesn't appeal to us and what our viewpoint is. I have recently commented on a poll asking if GTA IV's story is depressing and I voted No but there are people who have voted Yes and it's great to read their reasoning behind it as well as those who voted No like myself just as it's great hearing what people have to say about Jimmy here. Different people take different things from a character or a situation.

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

I agree. I think a lot of it is also down to the individual (in the case of GTA, us the players) and what appeals/doesn't appeal to us and what our viewpoint is. I have recently commented on a poll asking if GTA IV's story is depressing and I voted No but there are people who have voted Yes and it's great to read their reasoning behind it as well as those who voted No like myself just as it's great hearing what people have to say about Jimmy here. Different people take different things from a character or a situation.

Honestly, this is one of the issues I take with many of the IV-fans who are V-haters. They take a viable writing tool like inventing a character whose job it is to annoy the audience, and they point to that as the reason "why the game sucks!"

lol

Yet the annoying characters in IV are all just fine.

ACM-Jan
  • ACM-Jan

Usually helpful, BUT very defensive upon disrespect

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted A week ago

I don't hate any character in any game, dislike or being shortly annoyed by some expressions is most i can feel, rest of the time i find "annoying" characters funny because they are trying more than suppose to.

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted A week ago

It's funny because Jimmy is a satirical, exaggerated take on the stereotypical gamer. Slightly overweight, socially awkward, internet warrior, etc.

So why do so many people hate him? Jimmy is an in-game personification of your average gamer.

i dont know what you mean by average gamer.. we are not in the 80's anymore where gamers were mostly just kids.

the average gamer to me is a familly man, that works all day, and can play a bit when he can.

that stereotype you described is from a spoiled brat, gaming have nothing to do with it

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users