Photo

Why does everyone hate Jimmy so much?

34 replies to this topic
JustRob
  • JustRob

Homie

• Members

Posted 11 August 2017 - 03:51 AM

It's funny because Jimmy is a satirical, exaggerated take on the stereotypical gamer. Slightly overweight, socially awkward, internet warrior, etc.

So why do so many people hate him? Jimmy is an in-game personification of your average gamer.
  • Tomasak likes this

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 11 August 2017 - 04:30 AM

He's a fat entitled insolent sh*thead

• Voit Turyv and The Deadite like this

JustRob
  • JustRob

Homie

• Members

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:15 AM

That's probably describing 90% of the users here

• Tomasak, Voit Turyv, Gokuzbu and 6 others like this

N R G
  • N R G

Press Command-Shift-W for a surprise

• Members
  • Isle-of-Man

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:27 AM

He has literally NO life. I'd be pissed like Michael, if my kid was a drop-kick.

Matty
  • Matty

• Australia

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:06 AM

It's not that he's a gamer or someone who is a deadbeat with no life outside of playing video games - it's that he is a completely stuck up, self-entitled little prick who has no regard for anyone else around him (the same goes for the rest of Michael's family, too).

Despite being completely unlikable (which I feel is the whole point), he is a character whose personality fits the stereotype well a child of a father who was given a lavish lifestyle, and a clean slate, after years on the run committing robberies.
  • Algonquin Assassin, ToyGT_one, VoodooVibez and 2 others like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:11 AM

It's probably because he fits the stereotype of GTAO/COD kids who are too lazy to work and leech off their parents.

And Tracey fits the stereotype of a spoiled little bitch. Amanda the cheating, gold digger wife.

Basically Michael's entire family reinforces negative stereotypes seen in countless movies/tv shows which is why we hate them.
  • Plank., Tomasak, Loosestring and 4 others like this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:07 PM

Exactly.

The answer then is self-loathing. I think that Michael's family functions as the perfect west-coast stereotype parody. Then again, GTA has always satirized American culture, so it is pretty amazing that so many haters take issue with this, as its not exactly a new motif for Rockstar or the franchise.

KonradGM
  • KonradGM

GM of himself

• Members

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:35 PM

TBH it's hard for me to really hate characters, dunno why but i am strange with gta games, i know some characters are more trash in their behavior/personality than the others but they are characters that were made to be this way so i can't hate them.

But most people like to hate things so i guess he is easy target to hate?

Yinepi
  • Yinepi

Wepwawet Wannabe

• Members
  • Egypt

Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:50 PM Edited by Yinepi, 12 August 2017 - 04:54 PM.

Because he's the same stereotype we've seen in films, televsion and internet parody memes numerous times over. It's old, tried, and lacks creativity. But that's GTA5 in a nutshell.

• Algonquin Assassin, Plank., Tomasak and 3 others like this

CGFforLife
  • CGFforLife

Bitchass Bullsh*t

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:11 AM

He's a spoiled kid, just like tracey

O_Cean
  • O_Cean

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 August 2017 - 02:58 AM

Same reason everyone hates Tracey - hes useless, whiney and brings nothing to the game. 

• theGTAking101 likes this

StangOne50
  • StangOne50

BEASTMODE

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:41 PM

What is this nonsense, Jimmy is awesome, he smokes pot and games all day much like most of the members of this forum haha

• ChiroVette and CGFforLife like this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:44 PM

What is this nonsense, Jimmy is awesome, he smokes pot and games all day much like most of the members of this forum haha

LMAO!!!

And don't forget he whinges and bitches all day, too! I find it ironic that the people who hate Jimmy the most are the ones who........

(I'll let you guys finish that sentence)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• CGFforLife likes this

CGFforLife
  • CGFforLife

Bitchass Bullsh*t

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:54 PM Edited by CGFforLife, 14 August 2017 - 01:57 PM.

LMAO!!!

And don't forget he whinges and bitches all day, too! I find it ironic that the people who hate Jimmy the most are the ones who just eat, smoking pot, and just laying in bed playing videogames. Seriously, GET A LIFE

(I'll let you guys finish that sentence)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LMAO!!! I finished the sentence for you  :lol:

The only reason why i hate Jimmy was because:

1. He try to sell Michael boat (but got stolen) and when Michael mad at him, he doesn't even apologize
  2. He drugged Michael, steal his car, and took 5 thousand from Michael account
  3. He's a wannabe gangster
  4. He's a liar

but I still like him though especially since Michael smash his TV

• ChiroVette likes this

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:34 PM

Seems like this whole topic was an excuse to insult 90% of the users here

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:09 PM

I mean, there's some decent discussion in this topic, but a lot of people are just going for the easy insult, "Hits all the fat internet trolls here too close to home"

You ever think some people just don't like fat internet trolls, and it has nothing to do with how they view themselves?

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner
    Best Ledby 2016
    Most Helpful 2016
    Quotable Notable Post of the Year 2016 ["sup"]
    Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:07 AM

Please stop sh*tting up topics with references to GTA IV and fanboys, thanks.
  • CGFforLife likes this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:30 PM Edited by ChiroVette, 15 August 2017 - 09:33 PM.

Look, clearly Jimmy and Tracey are BOTH supposed to be parodies of the typical spoiled, rich, entitled kids of absentee parents, who were born with silver spoons in their mouths and who cry like little babies when they don't get their way. They are restless and bored, spend the vast majority of their time sedentary pursuits, Jimmy gaming on their big screen TV's and mobile devices, and when they aren't doing that, Tracey is out trying to win the attention of all the guys in her life with sex (in a misplaced attempt to win Daddy's approval), and Jimmy trolls the Internet starting fight and trouble since he is otherwise bored.

People in this thread are asking the wrong question about whether you "like" or "hate" Jimmy. The real question or the more relevant question is did Rockstar hit its mark with the way they wrote Jimmy and if they did, then did the voice actor convey this with his acting in the game?

If you "dislike" Jimmy on a visceral level, then I would make the argument that Rockstar hit a home run with the character, because you aren't supposed to "like" him in the sense of wishing he was real flesh and blood and wanting to hang out with him. He is the epitome of ALL that is wrong with American kids today. Not that all American children are like this, but the ones that are, I mean.

I think that using characters like Jimmy and Tracey as an excuse to slam the game smacks of anti-V fanboyism by disgruntled IV fans more than anything else. Because Jimmy is exactly what he is supposed to be in this game.

Think of Jimmy as being kind of like Roman in IV. I absolutely HATE Roman and when I did play the game, chose the ending where he dies, just for spite lol. But if I actually liked GTA IV, then I bet I would say the same things about Roman than I am saying about Jimmy and Tracy, which is that we are NOT supposed to like Roman. He is a weak, spineless, selfish, barely loyal piece of sh*t who lured his cousin to America under mostly false pretenses, and is basically Niko's version of Fredo, if I am generous. More often than not, he was in Niko's way, bumbling through the game with one idiot scheme after the next.

But isn't that precisely what he is supposed to be? You aren't really supposed to like him. But did the writing, context, and voice acting achieve what Rockstar was aiming for with Roman? Because that is the more pertinent question than whether or not "you like him."

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

In my sights

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 16 August 2017 - 02:33 AM

Look, clearly Jimmy and Tracey are BOTH supposed to be parodies of the typical spoiled, rich, entitled kids of absentee parents, who were born with silver spoons in their mouths and who cry like little babies when they don't get their way. They are restless and bored, spend the vast majority of their time sedentary pursuits, Jimmy gaming on their big screen TV's and mobile devices, and when they aren't doing that, Tracey is out trying to win the attention of all the guys in her life with sex (in a misplaced attempt to win Daddy's approval), and Jimmy trolls the Internet starting fight and trouble since he is otherwise bored.

People in this thread are asking the wrong question about whether you "like" or "hate" Jimmy. The real question or the more relevant question is did Rockstar hit its mark with the way they wrote Jimmy and if they did, then did the voice actor convey this with his acting in the game?

If you "dislike" Jimmy on a visceral level, then I would make the argument that Rockstar hit a home run with the character, because you aren't supposed to "like" him in the sense of wishing he was real flesh and blood and wanting to hang out with him. He is the epitome of ALL that is wrong with American kids today. Not that all American children are like this, but the ones that are, I mean.

I think that using characters like Jimmy and Tracey as an excuse to slam the game smacks of anti-V fanboyism by disgruntled IV fans more than anything else. Because Jimmy is exactly what he is supposed to be in this game.

Think of Jimmy as being kind of like Roman in IV. I absolutely HATE Roman and when I did play the game, chose the ending where he dies, just for spite lol. But if I actually liked GTA IV, then I bet I would say the same things about Roman than I am saying about Jimmy and Tracy, which is that we are NOT supposed to like Roman. He is a weak, spineless, selfish, barely loyal piece of sh*t who lured his cousin to America under mostly false pretenses, and is basically Niko's version of Fredo, if I am generous. More often than not, he was in Niko's way, bumbling through the game with one idiot scheme after the next.

But isn't that precisely what he is supposed to be? You aren't really supposed to like him. But did the writing, context, and voice acting achieve what Rockstar was aiming for with Roman? Because that is the more pertinent question than whether or not "you like him."

Without dwelling too much on any GTA IV vs GTA V stuff I have to disagree about Roman.

His optimism and "dreaming in la, la land" perception might not to be everyones' liking, but I don't think he was/is designed to be an inherently unlikable character which many GTA IV fans like anyway. He's a great contrast to Niko's realist views IMO.

Jimmy and Tracey are obviously deliberately designed to piss people by reinforcing negative stereotypes (As I said before), but to me Roman kinda represents the optimism most people want for themselves. As in a lavish lifestyle, chasing girls and basically living life to the fullest.

I bet most of us have always wanted to live the life Roman dreams of in his head. Yes he's deceptive and lies out of his ass, but I just see him as a loveable, but harmless dork.

• gunziness, theGTAking101 and The Deadite like this

ChiroVette
  • ChiroVette

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 August 2017 - 03:09 AM Edited by ChiroVette, 16 August 2017 - 03:10 AM.

Without dwelling too much on any GTA IV vs GTA V stuff I have to disagree about Roman.

His optimism and "dreaming in la, la land" perception might not to be everyones' liking, but I don't think he was/is designed to be an inherently unlikable character which many GTA IV fans like anyway. He's a great contrast to Niko's realist views IMO.

Jimmy and Tracey are obviously deliberately designed to piss people by reinforcing negative stereotypes (As I said before), but to me Roman kinda represents the optimism most people want for themselves. As in a lavish lifestyle, chasing girls and basically living life to the fullest.

I bet most of us have always wanted to live the life Roman dreams of in his head. Yes he's deceptive and lies out of his ass, but I just see him as a loveable, but harmless dork.

But it always seemed like he was in the way. Maybe, through my hiatus from the game of about 9 years, I am remembering wrong. But to me, I always found him immensely unlikable, clingy, needy, always calling with nonsense, and was more like some Slavic version of Fredo Corleone.

Perhaps he wasn't intended to be quite as unlikable as Jimmy and Tracy, but I don't think he was meant to garner any respect from the player, and like Jimmy, I always got the feeling that he was written to be intentionally annoying. Maybe not to the extent that Jimmy and Tracy were, which is why I drew it as an analogy, not a homology. But, as I said, given how much time its been since I played the game, I could be remembering wrong, too.

Acetaminophen
  • Acetaminophen

I'm on Percodans and Demerol

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 August 2017 - 03:40 AM

Hey! I'm not fat. 

CGFforLife
  • CGFforLife

Bitchass Bullsh*t

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 16 August 2017 - 02:26 PM

GTA V was always about satire, Jimmy and Tracey are the example

Also Jimmy are supposed to show us how being a drug and game addict, just look how miserable his life was. If there anything GTA V was supposed to teach us, is that we shouldn't be like Jimmy

thatstupidbug
  • thatstupidbug

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:41 PM

1) jimmy doesn't pay for his stupidity. He even drugs his own father, leave him half naked on the road, try to sell the family boat for drug, and is rarely called out for his action.

2) jimmy ruins one of the few tense moment in gta V

meltdown-22.jpg
  • Carbonox, theGTAking101 and The Deadite like this

Raj Brunner
  • Raj Brunner

"There is no knowledge that is not power"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:08 PM

Because he's an annoying, whiny, fat sh*t.

AiŽaCobŽa
  • AiŽaCobŽa

Ban Roulette Winner 2017!

• Members
  • Antarctica
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2017

Posted 17 August 2017 - 02:05 AM

Cuz jimmy is a douche but Amanda is a MILF

2265dd5ad2033479f6f7a462071fb96e.png

• theGTAking101 likes this

ViceOfLiberty
  • ViceOfLiberty

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by ViceOfLiberty, 2 weeks ago.

Because he's a satire of something that has nothing to do with crime. He should have been a Malibu's Most Wanted wigger type wangsta.

What's the point in satirizing something completely unrelated to the point of the game? Pointless character, waste of Dev time and disk space.

Michael's family should have left him before the game started. They should have just been mentioned in dialogue and that's it.

Loosestring
  • Loosestring

Paranoid Android

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Concepts]

Posted 2 weeks ago

It's probably because he fits the stereotype of GTAO/COD kids who are too lazy to work and leech off their parents.

And Tracey fits the stereotype of a spoiled little bitch. Amanda the cheating, gold digger wife.

Basically Michael's entire family reinforces negative stereotypes seen in countless movies/tv shows which is why we hate them.

This. I can't say I dislike them, but I am absolutely not fond of them very much. As much as Michael's family (and most of V's cast) consists of generic stereotypes, they are not more than stoic characters. Like Algonquin Assassin nailed it pretty much:

• Amanda is your typical self-righteous, cheating, lying hypocrite of a gold-digging wife. No problem with that, as Amanda is the perfect match for being a foil to Michael and his suffering from mid-life crisis.
  • Tracey is one of those young adolescent girls who are eager to take a short turn (like auditioning for stupid talent shows, or being willing to shoot porno movies) in return of money and fame.
  • Jimmy obviously fits the role of that guy who plays MMO games and has sexual intercourse with your mom on regular basis.

The big problem is however that they can't be described more than being clichés. Look, the other games of the franchise have also fed on stereotypes (even GTA IV which has the most well-built characters IMHO), but in the end they go through a personal transformation which makes them very different from what they were before, or come with a clear explanation of why do they behave in the way they do, or they intelligently trick us into take who they are for granted. However, when GTA V did the same with Michael's family, it didn't just work. For example, by the end of the game, Tracey is said to be going to college, presumably deciding to be more than a fame-maniac sex doll. But "why and how?" you end up asking. Unfortunately, the game doesn't offer you much explanation for this except for that "Dad, you're a dick but Fabien is a bigger dick. So we are coming back home." part. The same is valid for Jimmy as well: unlike Tracey, Jimmy shows some potential to be a stronger character in the future ( like him basically being more subtle with his dad), but every time those build-up prove to be for nothing, with Jim keep being the bunghole he is.

What better way to create a character by thinking of a certain stereotype? Look at every single beloved fictional character of pop culture, they're based off on stereotypes in one way or another, but there's something about them that makes them unique: which GTA V characters respectively are and not. Actually to explain it with one golden picture, the situation with GTA V is just like this:

dorpeh.jpg

• Algonquin Assassin, gunziness, Cutter De Blanc and 1 other like this

bulldog385
  • bulldog385

Truck Enthusiast

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

This Reminds me of what Michael tells Trevor in one of the PB Bank Heist Missions (I Think?) Whether you Like it or not ... You're a Hipster, Trev!! LOL

Sorry, just wanted to get that out of the way. LOL

JB1982
  • JB1982

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 2 weeks ago

I think hate is too strong a word. To be honest, there are worse characters in the game that you can hate as they have been in previous GTA's and I don't think I have ever really hated any character.

What I don't like about Jimmy isn't anything to do with him individually but about Michael's family as a whole. That they blame Michael for everything and are unrepentant regarding their own actions. Jimmy tries selling Michael's boat behind his back and it's Michael's fault. Tracey essentially whores herself to try and get famous and she then says that Michael has ruined her life when he stops her. Amanda sleeps around and, again, it's Michael's fault. Now, Michael is no saint but not everything can be pinned on him. But they do so anyway. I find that attitude annoying.

The key word there is annoying. Because for the most part I find them fun to be around.

• JRC99 likes this

JRC99
  • JRC99

Needs an truck

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

Because he drugged his father and stole his car.

Seriously, Michael isn't the greatest father, but he doesn't deserve THAT. At least, not from Jimmy. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users