Quantcast

» «
Photo

Fake News

48 replies to this topic

Poll: Fake News (41 member(s) have cast votes)

Is there fake news?

1. Yes, I believe there is some politically biased mainstream news channels (17 votes [37.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.78%

2. No, I believe mainstream news is legitimate and honest (2 votes [4.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.44%

3. I believe there's both honest and dishonest news, with some hiding their bias better than others (13 votes [28.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.89%

4. All mainstream news is bullsh*t (11 votes [24.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.44%

5. Other (2 votes [4.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.44%

Vote Guests cannot vote
John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:58 AM

Reading some of these posts, I guess I'm feeling quite vindicated after being ridiculed for saying MSM outlets like the BBC and CNN weren't in any way impartial this time last year. Or the year before that.

Triple Vacuum Seal
  • Triple Vacuum Seal

If you ♥ the $, then prepare to die for it.

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:55 PM Edited by Triple Vacuum Seal, 12 August 2017 - 04:57 PM.

As for the reporting of racially motivated killings by police, I think we're in real trouble here. For a few years now, we've been constantly looping footage of black men being shot by police without any facts or context. We have pundits say 'police are racist' or 'this is murder' or 'white supremacist America'.  Almost always, it becomes evident that the killing was justified. The media spends almost no time at all reporting that the killing was justified, and then some psycho racist gets radicalized by MSM and takes to the streets killing a handful of cops because they're white. There is no news anymore. There is only propaganda.

Oh god no! You mean people are ascribing the deviant actions of ‘bad police’ to the masses of ‘good police’, and thus reducing the safety of all officers? How terrible.  That’s like ascribing the deviant actions of ‘bad black people’ to the masses of ‘good black people’, and thus reducing the safety of all….oh wait.

The cops are finally getting a mere taste of what it’s like to be a law-abiding black civilian. Perhaps this is what it took for them to understand.  For too long, folks have allowed the presence of bad apples within the black community to justify a blanket sh*t perception (fueled by corporate media) of all blacks.

There is no news anymore. There is only propaganda.

Then what do you call this...or this?  I agree that the model for distributing public information mirrors propaganda, but that has almost always been the case when $ is involved.

• El Diablo and The Yokel like this

Chiari
  • Chiari

Russian Bump Stocks Can't Melt Steel Beams

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:45 PM

OH yeah, I'm sure that your inane bias that "Almost always, the shooting is shown as justified," isn't a byproduct of drinking O'Reily/Limbaugh/Hannity/insert-some-conservative-talking-head-here brand of Kool-Aid. 

'Almost all police shootings are justified' is a fact, regardless of who reports. It's not up for debate. The rest of your angry, long winded post comes down to you accusing me of supporting Fox, which is strange seeing as I criticized it along with the rest of the MSM. Of course, there is a spectrum of bullsh*t and Fox doesn't sit at the pinnacle of it, that spot is reserved for MSNBC. 

The cops are finally getting a mere taste of what it’s like to be a law-abiding black civilian. Perhaps this is what it took for them to understand.  For too long, folks have allowed the presence of bad apples within the black community to justify a blanket sh*t perception (fueled by corporate media) of all blacks.

The second sentence suggests that you see the racist psychopath that murdered those 5 cops as some kind of hero-of-the-people. If a specific community wants less police interaction they need to make a behavioral change. As it stands now the communities in our city like 3rd Ward, Sunnyside, 5th Ward, Independence Heights, and South Park are easy targets for police. It's not because the people are black, but because they are crime ridden, violent slums where drug dealers and prostitutes hang out in front of every corner store and shootings happen every night. Inb4 "Reaganomics".The Europeans in this thread may not be familiar with this way of life, but this exists in literally every major city in America. 

I agree that the model for distributing public information mirrors propaganda, but that has almost always been the case when $ is involved.

Basically, this tells me that you did understand the context and agree with it, but still, want to be a contrarian.
  • Shermhead likes this

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner
    Best Ledby 2016
    Most Helpful 2016
    Quotable Notable Post of the Year 2016 ["sup"]
    Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:50 PM

'Almost all police shootings are justified' is a fact, regardless of who reports. It's not up for debate.

The number of times you post "what I say is fact" make me wonder why you're posting here at all, if not to just jerk yourself off.
  • El Diablo, Tchuck, mr quick and 2 others like this

Shaundi.
  • Shaundi.

ѕуитн ¢ιту

• Daily Globe
  • Australia

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:01 PM Edited by Shaundi., 12 August 2017 - 07:01 PM.

'Almost all police shootings are justified' is a fact, regardless of who reports.

So you keep saying huh.

What's your opinion on the shooting of Justine Damond by a cop in Minneapolis nearly a month ago? You know, the Australian woman chatting to a police officer sitting in the drivers seat in her pyjamas in the dark after calling to report a possible rape near her house then fatally shot by another officer in the passenger seat?

Let's see you spin this to suit your "all police shootings are justified" vitriol because you can't and the shooting wasn't justified.
  • El Diablo, Tchuck, mr quick and 1 other like this

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Returning Member 2014
    Lifetime Achievement Award

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:08 PM

Oh, shooting a white woman was definitely not OK. But it was sort of OK-ish, because she was foreign. Can't trust Australians.

Of course, they said a noise startled them. But then again, I am not sure I trust cops that shoot at anything if they hear a noise.

Chiari
  • Chiari

Russian Bump Stocks Can't Melt Steel Beams

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:28 PM

So you keep saying huh.

What's your opinion on the shooting of Justine Damond by a cop in Minneapolis nearly a month ago? You know, the Australian woman chatting to a police officer sitting in the drivers seat in her pyjamas in the dark after calling to report a possible rape near her house then fatally shot by another officer in the passenger seat?

Let's see you spin this to suit your "all police shootings are justified" vitriol because you can't and the shooting wasn't justified.

Do you know what the word 'almost' means? Almost all police shootings are justified as evidenced by very few police shootings resulting in criminal convictions. 

The number of times you post "what I say is fact" make me wonder why you're posting here at all, if not to just jerk yourself off.

Do you ever contribute anything to a discussion? From what I've seen you literally just make posts after me begging for my attention and attempt to bait me from time to time.

Oh, shooting a white woman was definitely not OK. But it was sort of OK-ish, because she was foreign. Can't trust Australians.

Of course, they said a noise startled them. But then again, I am not sure I trust cops that shoot at anything if they hear a noise.

I'm not familiar with the case, but even if it is what Shaundi suggests it is, a completely unjustified, cold-hearted murder, it would still only be 1 case in an ocean of others. If your comment was meant to suggest racism on my part, or on the part of other individuals you don't know, then I'm pretty disappointed in you.

• Shermhead likes this

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner
    Best Ledby 2016
    Most Helpful 2016
    Quotable Notable Post of the Year 2016 ["sup"]
    Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:34 PM

Do you ever contribute anything to a discussion? From what I've seen you literally just make posts after me begging for my attention and attempt to bait me from time to time.

I never have much reason to respond to you because of statements like the one I quoted, in which you state that you're not going to debate...that attitude makes it, y'know, kinda pointless to care about what you say.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:54 PM

I'm sure we'll both be watching Maher tonight; the difference is that after I laugh it off I'll put it out of my mind. You, however, will mold his jokes into your political views.

oh look, the old Bill Maher gag.
implying that everyone on the Left believes the exact same things and worships TV personalities. that never gets old.

you couldn't be more wrong... as usual.
my political beliefs were formed long before I knew who Bill Maher was. do you wanna' try again? I'll give you some time to work on some new insults. I'll wait.

Reporters are no longer in the mainstream media, except for in the day time when literally no one outside of a nursing home or break room is watching. What you see on CNN, Fox, MSNBC etc every night are commentators.

lol thanks for proving me right [again].
your narrow mind is missing the big picture.

TV is not the only journalism. commentators like Bill O or Maddow are not reporters and no one was calling them such. reporters work for institutions other than Fox or MSN. the "mainstream media" includes the popular newspapers and news magazines and wires like the Associated Press. these aren't comment sections or OP EDs and they're not giving opinions. network TV is not the only news in the world. there are reporters and news media that still operate without bias and don't rely on commercial revenue or ratings to filter their content.

if your only examples are from CNN then of course it's going to look worse than it is. but you're willfully ignoring huge swaths of legitimate journalism from other sources. I'm not here to defend the media on TV because we already know that it's largely fueled by sensationalism. but this doesn't mean that all reporters are fake or that all news is biased.

try again?
I'll wait.
  • Tchuck, Triple Vacuum Seal and Android like this

Saggy
  • Saggy

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection
  • None
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2016

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:15 PM

OH yeah, I'm sure that your inane bias that "Almost always, the shooting is shown as justified," isn't a byproduct of drinking O'Reily/Limbaugh/Hannity/insert-some-conservative-talking-head-here brand of Kool-Aid. 

'Almost all police shootings are justified' is a fact, regardless of who reports. It's not up for debate. The rest of your angry, long winded post comes down to you accusing me of supporting Fox, which is strange seeing as I criticized it along with the rest of the MSM. Of course, there is a spectrum of bullsh*t and Fox doesn't sit at the pinnacle of it, that spot is reserved for MSNBC. 

The second sentence suggests that you see the racist psychopath that murdered those 5 cops as some kind of hero-of-the-people. If a specific community wants less police interaction they need to make a behavioral change. As it stands now the communities in our city like 3rd Ward, Sunnyside, 5th Ward, Independence Heights, and South Park are easy targets for police. It's not because the people are black, but because they are crime ridden, violent slums where drug dealers and prostitutes hang out in front of every corner store and shootings happen every night. Inb4 "Reaganomics".The Europeans in this thread may not be familiar with this way of life, but this exists in literally every major city in America. 

I agree that the model for distributing public information mirrors propaganda, but that has almost always been the case when $ is involved.

Basically, this tells me that you did understand the context and agree with it, but still, want to be a contrarian.

Lol @ the semi-illiterate always claiming a long post was generated out of anger.  Is that the only way you can muster writing up more than a thousand words?  Sorry I'll try to keep it to Twitter levels for you.  But first I gotta quote what you actually said...

"As for the reporting of racially motivated killings by police, I think we're in real trouble here. For a few years now, we've been constantly looping footage of black men being shot by police without any facts or context. We have pundits say 'police are racist' or 'this is murder' or 'white supremacist America'.  Almost always, it becomes evident that the killing was justified."

We're not talking about police shootings overall ( nice try though ) we're talking about the ones blown into sensation on television and your conjecture that "almost always" it becomes evident the killing was "justified".

Since discourse and covering all the bases is apparently unfavorable for you, I'll keep this to bullet points.

A) Your bias is seeping out that "most" of them are "justified" because in fact, "most" of them are only "justified" internally by the department ( see B )...

B) The term "justified" is completely subjective in every case now because of the total failures of the justice system to fairly charge, prosecute and sentence any officer whose department/union doesn't clear them, and a general public whose bias is always to give the benefit of the doubt to the officer(Go back to A)

Now what I suppose you'll do is tie up a few more posts with the most mundane talking points about the issue, and completely misunderstanding the point that you're simply a pot calling the kettle black.  It's obvious your entire opinion on this subject is manufactured by the same propaganda you pretend that you see through. The very talking-point you harped on in the next sentence you merely regurgitated from Bill O'Reily. Again, you're literally just drinking a different brand of Kool-Aid.  Do you even get the analogy?

Whoops even that was a little long for Twitter... Maybe I should have left some ellipses hanging for minutes on end like our Dear Leader.

• El Diablo, Tchuck and Triple Vacuum Seal like this

Triple Vacuum Seal
  • Triple Vacuum Seal

If you ♥ the $, then prepare to die for it.

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:00 AM Edited by Triple Vacuum Seal, 13 August 2017 - 10:59 PM.

...communities in our city like 3rd Ward, Sunnyside, 5th Ward, Independence Heights, and South Park...

Was this supposed to be your soliloquy of shallow observations regarding various ‘hoods’ in Houston? Impoverished neighborhoods driven even further into decline by a moronic drug war are often crime-ridden? Oh how clever Chiari. Why didn’t I think of that? You’re a little scientist aren’t you?

Never mind the fact that you cherry-picked black ‘hoods’ in a majority-Hispanic city and claimed "it's not because they are black", but with the exception of Independence Heights, I have personal connections to each of those neighborhoods above (and some you didn’t name) in one way or another unlike yourself. And from what I’ve witnessed, the people aren’t inherently any less moral than folks in general who live in such conditions, but then again I avoid the shady characters so ymmv.

Behavior changes when conditions change. No quality banking, grocers, security, or employment in the neighborhood.  When you can more-easily source automatic weapons than a bag of organic produce, then what do you expect?

The second sentence suggests that you see the racist psychopath that murdered those 5 cops as some kind of hero-of-the-people.

In solidarity with the many ethical cops who have this personal predisposition to serve as security patrolman and general civil servants regardless of the dominant political order (so when we control for political variations), I actually condemned the shooter on this very forum. Assertions that the disregard for black lives is not only a black problem often fall on deaf ears. So as Malcolm X famously said, the chickens had come to roost. If you want to be edge lord, then bark this jerky jibberish at someone who actually gives a sh*t about your outrage.

Whatever man. That doesn’t make your falsified claim true. I forgot that you’re still learning how to be wrong.

It's not because the people are black, but because they are crime ridden, violent slums where drug dealers and prostitutes hang out in front of every corner store and shootings happen every night. Inb4 "Reaganomics".The Europeans in this thread may not be familiar with this way of life, but this exists in literally every major city in America.

Yew huffin’ paint boy? Way to argue against a bunch of imaginary points I never made. For someone who claims to have never been wrong, facts seem to really get under your skin.

But back to this media thing.

Being well-informed is boring. If you lack either a sense of humor or sufficient distraction, then being well-informed can be depressing as well. So what we see is a consumption of media that’s analogous to a consumption of comfort food. People don’t want what’s good for them insofar as the good stuff lacks flavor/entertainment value, because they have experienced prolonged over-stimulation; the butter, cream, bread, cheese, salt, and red meat if you will.

And speaking of comedians getting political, don’t right-wingers find it alarming that comedy (more so than comedians) and all of the observational awareness that it’s often accompanied by, lacks a resonance with so-called conservative worldviews? I guess it’s because mainstream conservatism seems completely oblivious to absurdity and is in constant denial of the implications around modernity. More so than fuming at Maher, Oliver, Stewart, and Colbert for siding with the liberal sentiments of the East Coast (mainly NYC) and LA elites who own major studios and thus employ them, pop conservatives ought to be mad at themselves for failing to have a worldview critical of dogmatic customs and traditions, and the resulting sense of humor that stems from it.  That's why there are no 'conservative' late night comedians.

• El Diablo, Tchuck and Fonz like this

.Vooodu.
  • .Vooodu.

MasterDebater

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 19 August 2017 - 02:35 PM

You've probably heard the term 'fake news', which was created by Donald Trump, spewed by someone at one point or another. The question is, do you believe it?

It wasn't Donald Trump that created the term Fake News... It was the mainstream media that blamed fake news for Trump Winning and then Trump used ti against them.  Because its true.

Main Stream Media is fake news..  and always was.   The internet today can easily counter half the crap they spew.  Its not just fake news.. it propaganda.

Looking at Channels like CNN where they need to spin a narrative for 5 mins before they actually get to what they consider news or edit things in a way that fit their narrative.. Is what fake news is all about it.   Real news only needs facts.. not opinions and not narratives.

This is why i usually get my news from all sides and form my own opinions.. To much spin.. to much bullsh*t.  If they don't get to the facts and get to the point ASAP then its not news.  

If Hillary Clinton would have won.> The term Fake news would have never existed.   If Trump leaves anything worth remembering its the fact that he exposed just how f*cked up mainstream media is.  Its propaganda mind control..

• Shermhead likes this

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Returning Member 2014
    Lifetime Achievement Award

Posted 19 August 2017 - 02:48 PM

It's true that Trump revealed how terrible US media is; it practically got him elected. Not that I believe the same media is going to change. It certainly does not appear that way.

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

poetic justice

• Members
  • Botswana

Posted 19 August 2017 - 03:16 PM Edited by Eutyphro, 19 August 2017 - 06:03 PM.

It was the mainstream media that blamed fake news for Trump Winning

If Hillary Clinton would have won.> The term Fake news would have never existed.

Yeah, I thought the same thing. But it turns out some msm were actually already complaining about fake news a few months before Trump won.

It does seem that along with the Russia investigation they have weaponized it to undermine the narrative of Trump beating Hillary, which in reality mostly had to do with Hillary being an awful candidate. If they point to Russia or pro Trump fake news articles on Facebook as the causes of Trump's victory, then they don't have to dig deeper into their own incompetence and dishonesty, which was a far more influential cause.

CNN seems to have started running it as a topic on their tv broadcast around the time that Trump surged ahead in a few key state polls, little over a week before voting. http://edition.cnn.c...s-fake-news.cnn

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 19 August 2017 - 05:51 PM

Main Stream Media is fake news..  and always was. The internet today can easily counter half the crap they spew.  Its not just fake news.. it propaganda.

Problem is, the same could be said about much of the "new" media, including the less structured internet discussion of current events that drives much of the media counter-narrative at the moment. Perceived inaccuracy and bias in the mainstream media doesn't, or more accurately shouldn't, give the alternative media credibility just because they're countering the narratives of the MSM. One just need to look at the Pizzagate nonsense, the tripe that the likes of Infowars have pushed for decades now, and the social media detective operation come clusterf*ck that followed the Boston Marathon bombing to see examples of this.
  • El Diablo, Tchuck, Melchior and 1 other like this

SaveTheZombies
  • SaveTheZombies

We Only Want Your Brains

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:31 AM

While I'm not entirely impressed with the mainstream American news media, it mostly has to do with what they consider newsworthy and really important news stories they ignore.

I used to call CNN fake news because they would report on crap like a cat trapped between two buildings not because I thought they lied about it. 

You've probably heard the term 'fake news', which was created by Donald Trump,

Yea, lol, he came up with 'prime the pump' too. I think it's hilarious how he constantly attacks CNN when they gave him all the free publicity he needed to get elected.

Android
  • Android

• Facade
  • None
  • Snap Battle Season 3 Winner [X360]
    The Congressional Medal of sh*tposting
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]
    Most Talented Graphics Artist 2015
    Most Improved Member 2015
    Best Poster [Technology] 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 31 August 2017 - 02:56 AM

While I agree that reporting about a cat trapped on a major network like CNN is foolish (citation needed), I don't ever recall them reporting anything like that. Also, fake news is not equal to irrelevant news. There's a major difference between deliberately producing false information and spreading it around compared to reporting a non-issue during a major event. CNN does not take part in the former. The whole "fake news" term would be useful if it wasn't used as a defense mechanism so often, like when someone chooses not to believe a certain story regardless of reliable sources. Just because you don't like what you read in an article, that does not give you the right to call it fake. Simple as that.

SaveTheZombies
  • SaveTheZombies

We Only Want Your Brains

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:41 AM

While I agree that reporting about a cat trapped on a major network like CNN is foolish (citation needed), I don't ever recall them reporting anything like that. Also, fake news is not equal to irrelevant news. There's a major difference between deliberately producing false information and spreading it around compared to reporting a non-issue during a major event. CNN does not take part in the former. The whole "fake news" term would be useful if it wasn't used as a defense mechanism so often, like when someone chooses not to believe a certain story regardless of reliable sources. Just because you don't like what you read in an article, that does not give you the right to call it fake. Simple as that.

Sorry I can't provide a citation but I'm talking 10 years ago.

But I agree; I now reserve the term fake news for pretentious nuts who peddle conspiracy theories.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpunk

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:22 PM

Yeah alternative media can produce sh*tty results but that's not to say there isn't good stuff. If anyone thought that because mainstream news media might be questionable, therefore alternative media automatically gets credibility - well that's kind of ridiculous. I'd expect that any smart individual will hold the alternative news media to the same scrutiny as they do the mainstream. But yeah, there are people like flattearthers and people I know IRL that seem to give automatic credibility to something just because it attempts to defy the mainstream, which is kind of a contradiction or double standard.

That's also not to say that there's decent alternative news sources that aim to restore some sort credibility to journalism these days. Guys like Tim Pool that get on the ground during protests and try stream raw footage, speaking to both sides and seemingly having a genuine curiosity to learn of participants motivations.  

I'm happy for the news alternatives. It's all out there on the free market. Good stuff  (in theory) will rise to the top and stick around. We're not just limited and restricted to the old media status quo. It's not to say there's some reporting for alternatives that isn't sensationalist, biased and poorly researched and verified. However, the amount of news alternatives available and being able to compare the spin one outlet may do compared to another is fascinating. We are seeing the old news giants being called out. We all knew our news sources are biased but in this information age we live in it's come to light how bad the reporting has been, often leaving out fundamental details, completely spinning the narrative some times to the detriment of and hurt of real people. 

I have a strong skepticism for any news-media. Like I mentioned in other posts, I'm digesting news-media from both ends of the political spectrum. One side is often good at pointing out or covering a story that the other wont. That and I don't want my news and opinion of the opposition from one source, telling me how I should think. It's like going to Roger Waters for an opinion on David Gilmour. I'm not really going to hear the full story so to speak. But I find myself empathizing with people I never thought I would and that's a difficult pill for people to swallow. 

It's like Marc Maron, one of my favourite podcasters. He had a go at Joe Rogan, on friendly terms, for him giving people with opposing views a platform on his show. Basically he couldn't get why Rogan would have guests that didn't conform to general left-think. Say what you want about Rogan but he has a curiosity and isn't blinded by such narrow-mindedness, not to invite a guest on because he thought he or his fans don't share the same set of political views. He goes to the source, the horses mouth and have the guest on rather than just speculating from a echo chamber.

Thankfully, we have so much choice now. We can check out the old establishment outlets, see how they fare with the new independents, do the same from both liberal and conservative media sources and then you might find your true story somewhere in the middle. 

• krypt0s likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users