Quantcast

» «
Photo

How would you compare Shenmue (1999) to Grand Theft Auto III?

7 replies to this topic
Will Lorenzo Cooper
  • Will Lorenzo Cooper

Basic Video Editor for Grand Theft Auto

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Will Lorenzo Cooper, A week ago.

Both are open world as we know. You see they can be compared but they can't be in a way.

I thought it would be somewhat interesting to compare the very best detailed two open world games at the time even they have completely different playstyle.

I compare them as one being far more detailed to interactions, graphics and storyline but a far smaller restricted world with incredible detailed introverted gameplay and lifelike interactions but I feel like it's less dynamic in a way. (Shenmue)

III has more freedom in a larger world, more dynamic and chaotic world but less graphically detailed. It certainly feels more like open world and detailed in an extroverted way.

A minority said it shamed GTA III in terms of graphics but I personally don't because GTA III is more extroverted in great detail and had to be that way for a larger scale world.

Ghost Pulaski
  • Ghost Pulaski

Pulaski's Ghost

• Members
  • Red-Cross

Posted 2 weeks ago

I have never heard of Shenmue.

Helegad
  • Helegad

Completionist

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 2 weeks ago

Who said it "shamed" GTA III? Fanbois on the Shenmue forums?

They can't compare. This is a stupid question. They have almost nothing in common, and the biggest part of that is one was developed by Americans and one by Japanese, and it really shows in both games; that's not a bad thing, either, just an easy observation.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, WILLY!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted A week ago

People kept saying it shamed GTA III

[citation needed]

gts.
  • gts.

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

What the hell? They are incomparable, a game from 1999 like Shenmue against GTA3 which was released in 2001. They're too different.

Will Lorenzo Cooper
  • Will Lorenzo Cooper

Basic Video Editor for Grand Theft Auto

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted A week ago Edited by Will Lorenzo Cooper, A week ago.

What the hell? They are incomparable, a game from 1999 like Shenmue against GTA3 which was released in 2001. They're too different.

People kept saying it shamed GTA III

[citation needed]

Who said it "shamed" GTA III? Fanbois on the Shenmue forums?

They can't compare. This is a stupid question. They have almost nothing in common, and the biggest part of that is one was developed by Americans and one by Japanese, and it really shows in both games; that's not a bad thing, either, just an easy observation.

My mistake, it was only several people around the internet that made this assumption and I thought it would of been interesting to discuss an "open world detail comparison" on both legendary games that have the best detail only just 2 years apart at the time but didn't go well in the end as I see why it's pointless to make this.

unopieceo
  • unopieceo

Turdler Durpden

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Best Vehicle 2012 [HD GTA Cars]

Posted A week ago

Not even apples and oranges more like apples and risotto.
  • Plank. and universetwisters like this

Helegad
  • Helegad

Completionist

• Members
  • Australia

Posted A week ago

I'm not joking when I say Shenmue has the worst serious script I've ever experienced in my life. I never played much of it but I vividly remember every time I got into a conversation, they would say "Do you remember the time the rain fell from the black sky?" or some bullsh*t like that, it was just so HORRIBLE.

The graphics were very impressive though, I will give it that. From a technical and statistical standpoint, Shenmue is much more detailed than GTA III, but also far smaller and general movement speed is much slower.

• universetwisters and Will Lorenzo Cooper like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users