Photo

Was Johnny gonna be racist?

15 replies to this topic
Johnny Spaz
  • Johnny Spaz

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago Edited by Johnny Spaz, A week ago.

I was going to put this on the TLaD sub forum but that things dead

Now if we see the Johnny Klebitz in GTA 4 he looked way more menacing his tattoos were visible his voice was deeper and raspier.

Also according to Playboy X he was really a f*cking badass who took absolutely no sh*t but at the end Niko asks if he's scared of him and he says no but all those bikers are racist.

So was The Lost gonna be racist like the AoD's? Jim Fitzgerald was Caucasian in GTA 4 then he turned black, so how would it have been controlling a racist biker? Would u love it or hate it?

BTW I really hate how R* made Johnny's tattoos less visible they were cool AF

I wish R* had left Johnny the way he was in GTA 4 a straight savage who took no sh*t but then they turned him into Niko with a leather jacket (same moral code and sh*t) the only really badass scene he has in the game is when he puts Pretty Boy's face against the motorcycle wheel

Was johnny made more family friendly in a way too?

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted A week ago

It's pretty hard to tell seeing as he only makes two physical appearances in GTA IV. I mean even Luis looks and sounds different to how he's in TBOGT.

Nothing really suggests to me he was going to be racist though.

DOUGL4S1
  • DOUGL4S1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted A week ago

Johnny in GTA IV was a stereotypical 1%er, and they developed more of his personality and appearance in TLaD. They probably changed it because they already got in trouble because in Vice City you could kill Haitians, imagine the legal trouble they'd get themselves with a racist character.

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

IDK about Johnny specifically, but The Lost were defintely more stereotypical in IV, compared to TLAD. In IV a lot of Lost NPC's have confederate flag shirts/patches, but these were all removed in TLAD, and Johnny hates the AOD for being racist. As you mentioned Jim turned black/hispanic, and even Clay seems like he was added relatively late into the game's development (no LCPD profile, doesn't speak in any cutscenes). GTA V goes even further and added a lot of black/hispanic Lost NPC models.

Rockstar defintely changed The Lost's image for TLAD/V.
  • UltraGizmo64, Shadowfennekin, AmigaMix and 1 other like this

Plank.
  • Plank.

2*9; 9L; 6+D; 7; (2*45)+C+LS;

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

imagine the legal trouble they'd get themselves with a racist character.

What imaginary legal trouble would they get in? There are no legal censorship restrictions as to what you can and cannot put in a game/movie/TV show/book/etc. (save for copyright, slander, classified gov't info, etc.). Though I am sure they wanted to keep the game rated M for ESRB, and they wanted to make Johnny a likeable character, so any racist dialogue or persona would have been avoided to hold these criteria. Even Packie in vanilla IV drops the n-bomb in a scene or two.

SabreGT
  • SabreGT

And the winner by knockout is...!

• Members
  • England

Posted A week ago

I always thought it was just Playboy getting The Lost & Angels of Death mixed up.

• SMACKED! likes this

Axl Rose
  • Axl Rose

Appetite For Illusion

• Members
  • Italy

Posted A week ago

Johnny in GTA IV was a stereotypical 1%er, and they developed more of his personality and appearance in TLaD. They probably changed it because they already got in trouble because in Vice City you could kill Haitians, imagine the legal trouble they'd get themselves with a racist character.

They wouldn't get in any legal trouble as that would infringe on their 1st amendment.

• Plank. likes this

Colonel _Cortez
  • Colonel _Cortez

Crackhead

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted A week ago

Johnny Klebitz was jewish. He himself suffered racism, especially Brian was very anti-semetic and always picked on Johnny for being a Jew.

I don't think the Losts are a racist Biker Gang, they are a multicultural.

GTA-Biker
  • GTA-Biker

Let's Rock

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted A week ago

I doubt Johnny was supposed to be a racist in GTA 4,since he has no problem working for Elizabeta (a latina) and with Playboy X (a black guy).However,it is possible that TLMC were supposed to be a stereotypical white outlaw motorcycle club and later changed into a multiracial club,because R* didn't want to risk people thinking that the protagonist's gang is racist even if they actually weren't.

I always thought it was just Playboy getting The Lost & Angels of Death mixed up.

I agree.Playboy X himself isn't a biker,and probably knows nothing about outlaw bikers,except that they're white guys on chopper bikes,so he thought both gangs were pretty much the same.Also,it's the same guy who thinks Dubai is in Africa and that Jesus killed John the Baptist,I don't really consider him as an accurate source of information.

Mr_Rager
  • Mr_Rager

Home, like no place is there

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

I don't think the lost were some social justice group or anything lmao they just didn't really give a sh*t about race of their members but I know they had plenty of racial banter between each other
  • dognuts likes this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

People generally would not want to play as a racist especially since the GTA series has a very diverse fanbase.

The American Army 1775
  • The American Army 1775

Omm

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 days ago Edited by The American Army 1775, 4 days ago.

Johnny was never a racist. As we can see in Blow Your Cover / Buyer's Market, Johnny talks mostly with Playboy X.
He is even close to Clay, Malc and De Sean.
He was best friends with his friend James Fitzgerald, who had turned yellow.
He was always good to Elizabeta Torres and Angus Martin too.

Brothers for life man. Lost Forever.

fashion
  • fashion

Glory to Mankind!

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 4 days ago Edited by fashion, 4 days ago.

No, I don't think so. If R* planned the DLC during IV's development and release (most likely did), I really doubt they even thought about making a racist protagonist. Racism is a line R* won't cross for a good reason, definetly not for a protagonist.

Johnny doesn't have to be a lover of all coloured races but he at least tolerates them.

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 4 days ago

Been playing TLAD again and it's obvious to me the AOD were the only ones intended to be racist. Even in GTA IV as GTA-Biker said above Johnny has no problem working with people (such as PBX and Elizabeta) of different races/backgrounds..

It's refreshing to be honest to have broken from the 'bikers are racists" stereotype.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, WILLY!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 4 days ago

Johnny Klebitz was jewish. He himself suffered racism, especially Brian was very anti-semetic and always picked on Johnny for being a Jew.

I dunno if you can count petty jabs from petty people racist, especially when it's coming from Brian.

Personally I wouldn't care if Johnny was racist. If anything, the idea reminds me of some thread that was made in the TLAD section a while ago, "what if Johnny was a more villainous protagonist". Like the IV trilogy protagonists were all crooks with a heart of gold and having one that contrasted that would've been nice, but whether or not racism was involved, I wouldn't care because it's just a game that I'm not being forced to play.

• Honker1944 and AmigaMix like this

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 days ago

I dunno if you can count petty jabs from petty people racist, especially when it's coming from Brian.
If someone is constantly bringing up your racial/ethnic background as a point of insulting you, then they're most likely racist dude. Brian's definitely an anti-semite.

Interestingly, Brian and Billy are the only guys in The Lost who showed any signs of being racist, and they both ended up as antagonists. I don't think Rockstar ever wanted to try to make players sympathetic towards racist characters.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users