Who really was the bad guy in GTA SA?

28 replies to this topic
yohaNi
  • yohaNi

Player Hater

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:16 PM

So, alot of people loved Big Smoke and thought he was the best character before they knew the truth about him, and obviously CJ kills Big Smoke in the last mission, but for me the question is, who really was the bad guy in GTA SA? Big Smoke has always been my favourite character, and to be honest ive never payed attention to what hes saying or what hes doing in the missions, I just liked him because hes so funny, however I watched the introduction of GTA SA and I saw that Big smoke made a deal with tenpenny to kill sweet because tenpenny wanted the leader dead for some reason, big smoke didnt like it at first until he heard the money, he then convinced Ryder to get in on it, and obviously Ryder is high all the time so that wasn't a huge surprise that he decided to go in on it with big smoke. Ryder has always been the biggest asshole in GTA SA, yeah thats what alot of people thought, but know when I've seen everything, I think Ryder was more of a bro than big smoke could ever be, I mean Ryder atleast shot the ballas, and didnt lie to CJ about anything. But the real question is, is tenpenny the bad guy in this scenario or is it big smoke for betraying GSF? Personally I think both of them are real assholes, but I think that Big Smoke deserves to be the bad guy here, betraying your family for money is not something that sweet, CJ, or ryder could ever do, but big smoke could.

Comment what you think about whos the worst guy in gta sa :)

• AuLif likes this

OdysseyTheWarrior
  • OdysseyTheWarrior

Player Hater

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:59 PM

I honestly think Officer Tenpenny is the main bad guy because he's the one who caused all the bullsh*t by making the deal with Big Smoke and Ryder.

• lil weasel, Tomasak, Evil empire and 4 others like this

yohaNi
  • yohaNi

Player Hater

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 04 August 2017 - 06:22 PM

I honestly think Officer Tenpenny is the main bad guy because he's the one who caused all the bullsh*t by making the deal with Big Smoke and Ryder.

I do agree you in some ways, but even with tenpenny doing that, doesnt it really show that if big smoke actually agrees to the deal, hes more of an asshole than tenpenny for actually agreeing to the deal?

Foreverpast
  • Foreverpast

Polite Upon Request

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 August 2017 - 01:31 AM Edited by Foreverpast, 05 August 2017 - 01:31 AM.

Big Smoke was in for it for personal gain with the cost of betraying others.

Tenpenny was pretty much in the same goal set, except he was an officer/supposed to be on the right side of the law.

That fact that Tenpenny was involved with criminal activities such as drugs, killing cops, etc puts him at a higher tier of *Bad Guy* considering his role.

In a sense when it came to legality terms, Big Smoke was a clever wolf whereas Tenpenny was a clever wolf in a Sheepdog's clothing.

Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

prettier n nastier

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 05 August 2017 - 04:07 AM Edited by Femme Fatale, 05 August 2017 - 04:07 AM.

Tenpenny, he's the evil mastermind behind everything.
  • lil weasel, The_Human and Wingate167 like this

watersgta3
  • watersgta3

Snitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 August 2017 - 11:36 PM

You know, a lot of people here on this former come up with so many assumptions that Ryder had hated CJ all because he poked fun out of him. But honestly, that hardly proves anyway. If you ask me, I thought CJ and Ryder had the most complex relationship of all of CJ's relationships with everyone else. When CJ returns back home, Ryder's first words to him since his return is a rather brusque reply ("Keep up, motherf*cker!"), and his attitude towards CJ is really more of him being upset of him leaving to LC in the first place. Sure Ryder was kind of jealous of CJ during the story, and he did insult him at times, but that's just what many friends do. There has been friends that love to poke fun at each other at times (Sonic and Knuckles from the Sonic series being a great example of this), and that's actually what I liked about Ryder. He wasn't too nice to CJ like Smoke was (and let's face it, if Ryder were to just being kind to CJ all the time, he would just be a very dull character without much of a personality), but also wasn't too much of an asshole to CJ like Catalina. He did give CJ some props and even a little respect after the latter would help out on some missions.I feel that deep down, Ryder never wanted to turn his back on the gang and was too down with the Grove, and I would've love to see how CJ's relationship with Ryder would've developed throughout the whole story had Ryder stayed with the gang.

Now back on topic. I still see Tenpenny as the bad guy of the game. Yes, some would say he was simply a cop doing his job, but at the end of the day, he's still a corrupt bastard who got another officer killed, tried to frame the homicide on CJ, was responsible for such an anarchic riot, and pretty much manipulated everyone around him, even his sycophantic lapdog. Sure Big Smoke tried to get some of his friends on his side, but he still was Tenpenny's puppet.

• B Dawg likes this

SMACKED!
  • SMACKED!

Every single day, every time I pray, I'll be missing you.

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 August 2017 - 02:46 AM Edited by SMACKED!, 06 August 2017 - 02:52 AM.

Big Smoke saw a chance to get out of the hood and make something out of himself and he took it unlike Sweet, who was always struggling to stay in the hood. I'm pretty sure that if it wasn't because of Sweet forcing CJ to stay in the Grove then CJ wouldn't even go after Smoke in the first place, no doubt he would go for Tenpenny but Smoke?

CJ and Smoke had something in common: mentality. Both were struggling to make something out of themselves, while Ryder was careless and Sweet was against CJ's principles.

Smoke could've taken CJ to go with him and sell crack but because of CJ being Sweet's brother and being against drugs profit then he decided to take Ryder on him, as Ryder was also his homeboy.

Tenpenny was the bad guy the whole time, even before SA events unlike Smoke who sold himself out later in the game.

Some people say that Rockstar did an awful job in killing off Ryder, sure, a previous dialogue and a cutscene might be needed but people dont' see that Ryder was a careless guy the whole time and that's probably the main reason why he was killed off, no mercy for nobody, not even for his own life, Ryder was more gangster than Sweet and Smoke, even CJ, gangsters sometime die young and alone, sometimes both. This was Ryder's case. That's one of the reasons why I see Ryder fitting the "minor character" role; not the protagonist, not the protagonist's brother, not the sellout one, not the bad guy; the gangster, the first one to go.

Spoiler

• B Dawg, Official General, Jacek_K and 1 other like this

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 August 2017 - 06:23 PM

I think you've missed the point bro. It's a trifle obvious that Rockstar intended for Officer Tenpenny to be the main bad guy, and I'm pretty sure that the OP is not really referring what is already established in the game - he wants to know who you think is an alternative main bad guy aside from Tenpenny.

I'd still say it was Big Smoke for obvious reasons - but for some reason I felt more hurt by Ryder's betrayal. I don't know why exactly, but Ryder just didn't look like the kind of guy to backstab CJ, and when finally confronting him I felt more rage than I did with Big Smoke.

ClaudeIzABadAzz
  • ClaudeIzABadAzz

"Did you turn up to rescue Maria, or to get me back?"

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:14 AM

Tenpenny, he's the whole reason the game exists. Without him, CJ would've stayed in Grove, and never moved to Whetstone, SF, or LV. 

• SanLiberty likes this

Jxcob
  • Jxcob

B47ANCE

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 07 August 2017 - 12:46 PM Edited by Jxcob, 07 August 2017 - 12:46 PM.

everyone in the loco syndicate

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Death May Die

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 07 August 2017 - 02:48 PM

Sweet. If it wasn't for him being so much against pushing drugs and making a profit, everything would have been fine and they'd all live happily ever after.

• Official General likes this

SMACKED!
  • SMACKED!

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 August 2017 - 05:32 PM

Who knows. Maybe Sweet and CJ could be excellent drug dealers, they don't really need to consume, though. 

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:16 PM

Sweet. If it wasn't for him being so much against pushing drugs and making a profit, everything would have been fine and they'd all live happily ever after.

Still will never understand that part of the story. Why the f*ck do the Families have a problem selling crack and making money, yet they are happy to shoot and kill rivals ?
  • B Dawg, Richie Makyura and AuLif like this

SMACKED!
  • SMACKED!

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 August 2017 - 11:46 PM

Still will never understand that part of the story. Why the f*ck do the Families have a problem selling crack and making money, yet they are happy to shoot and kill rivals ?

Because of "no crack eva made a gan tigh :( dat sh*t will steal ur heart :((

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Death May Die

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:25 AM Edited by B Dawg, 08 August 2017 - 08:25 AM.

Yeah. If they're not fighting for crack selling turf, what are they fighting for? Also, how do Grove Street get any income?

• Official General likes this

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 August 2017 - 10:16 AM

Yeah. If they're not fighting for crack selling turf, what are they fighting for? Also, how do Grove Street get any income?

Exactly what I was thinking. How are they gonna earn a regular income ?. I read on GTAWikia that they earn most of their money from armed robbery, gunrunning, protection, kidnapping, etc - but that don't make much sense because drug-dealing is the main, staple money earner for all modern-day American street gangs - the two go hand in hand like bread and butter. I've never heard of any modern American street gang having a main illegal activity that does not involve drugs. Rockstar really f*cked up that part of the story man. 

After closer analysis, it appears that the Families do deal drugs, but they don't get involved in hard drugs like crack, cocaine or heroin, they only deal with weed and PCP, the stuff that's less harmful to the community. However it's still bullsh*t, because any gang that will happily shoot up rivals and their rival's territories will have no problem selling crack to get money. 

• IndogamersPro likes this

SanLiberty
  • SanLiberty

What are you looking at?

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:40 PM

Tenpenny of course, he made it all happen.

XtreemeX
  • XtreemeX

If You Dont Sombody Will Cocked :D

• Members
  • Egypt

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:44 PM

Tenpenny of course, he made it all happen.

Nah Tenpenny is bad guy 9/10 but b dup who lead ballas :p

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:01 PM

There is only One Bad Guy in GTA San Andreas.
Officer Tenpenny from who all other characters radiate.

The other's are just side characters that would not be missed.

Craig
  • Craig

Umbilical World

• None
  • Best Writer 2011
    Time Traveller Of The Year 1984

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:34 PM

The other's are just side characters that would not be missed.

This is true now, but only because we're talking retrospectively. It isn't much of a twist these days because it's a trope that's done to death but I remember seeing Smoke and Ryder's betrayal unfold and I was shocked. Before I knew it, and not long after learning the truth, I was dropped in the middle of the countryside with nothing but a knife and orders from the main antagonist to carry out more cop errands. My point of all this is I don't think the story would have held much weight if Tenpenny's stooges would have been Balla kingpins. We've already dealt with a number of those, most notably Kane of Front Yard territories. By having Smoke and Ryder as his secondary antagonists, we're given a moral dilemma that the plot works around. It's about a fight against loyalty when some of the people that you love actively work to betray you and everything you thought meant something. They're not the best characters in the series, but having them as villains is necessary.

Interestingly enough, the opposite can be said about Toreno. From the very beginning, we're led to think he's an antagonist working from his own agenda. His MO is on a much grander scale than anything happening in Los Santos. We're subconsciously conditioned to think Toreno is a villain - CJ's comments in Photo Opportunity, his mannerisms and how we're ordered to take him out. By the end however, he reveals himself to be quite a valuable asset by arranging Sweet's release, just as promised. It's subtle dynamics like that which keep the relationships between characters complex and motivating.
  • Nico likes this

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:16 PM

Overthinking.

The Question of "Who really was the bad guy in GTA SA?"

Still leaves only Tenpenny. Everybody else is just colour or chrome for the story.

Raj Brunner
  • Raj Brunner

"There is no knowledge that is not power"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:20 PM

It's Tenapenny. That crooked cop was responsible for nearly everything.

• lil weasel likes this

Jxcob
  • Jxcob

B47ANCE

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:30 AM Edited by Jxcob, 13 August 2017 - 01:30 AM.

if anything ryder and smoke was worse, they tried to set sweet up instead got CJ mother killed, they betrayed grove street to work with the ballas all over some drugs while leaving CJ and sweet behind. they were even cool with lying to CJs face about his mother knowing they were the cause of it

Evil empire
  • Evil empire

Homie

• Members
  • France

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:36 PM

Apart for Tenpenny Pulaski is the worst guy because he's also supposed to protect people against the criminals.

33zero33
  • 33zero33

Player Hater

• Members
  • Gibraltar

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:48 PM

Apart from main characters it is policeman on bike. He rarely stops on red light

Arrow
  • Arrow

Good Life

• Facade
  • India
  • Helpfulness Award [WD&P Mega Topic]

Posted 25 August 2017 - 10:32 AM

Tenpenny. I don't think an over-thought reply with justification is necessary. Most other bad guys just played a role in Tenpenny's scheme. He orchestrated it all.
  • Wingate167 likes this

nader91
  • nader91

B.G.

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 3 weeks ago

tenpenny is the root of all evil... crooked a** muthaf*****

IndogamersPro
  • IndogamersPro

Busta

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 3 weeks ago

No, not Tempenny or Big Smoke. but the damn African-American Motorcycle Cop, he never stops at Red light. Damn!

Terrc87
  • Terrc87

Snitch

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 3 weeks ago

Tenpenny is the real bad guy, framing CJ for murdering Officer Pendelbury, saying that CJ is Doberman and all that bullsh*t.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users