Is Max Payne 1 good?

21 replies to this topic
Night_MARE
  • Night_MARE

Gamer, Game Dev, and more.... XD

• Members
  • India

Posted 28 July 2017 - 01:38 PM

I just found this R* Game out there so why shouldn't I try it?

Just need your opinions - is it good and worthwile to play? Or I should get any other game?

Thanks in advance ;)

Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

prettier n nastier

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:25 PM

Yes. /thread

Unless you're a 13 year old who loves over the top and silly games, and hates dark and gritty serious games. Then you'll most likely find it boring.
  • Journey_95 and Payne Killer like this

Matrelith
  • Matrelith

Inveniam viam aut faciam

• Facade
  • Netherlands

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:37 PM

It's probably the best one of the series, so yeah, it's pretty good. 

• ChengizVlad09 likes this

Night_MARE
  • Night_MARE

• Members
  • India

Posted 28 July 2017 - 03:10 PM

It's probably the best one of the series, so yeah, it's pretty good. 

OK Thanks! Getting it soon then!

Unless you're a 13 year old who loves over the top and silly games, and hates dark and gritty serious games. Then you'll most likely find it boring.

XD I am surely not that.

Rucke
  • Rucke

Gangsta

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 28 July 2017 - 04:23 PM

It is! Some things feel a bit dated, but even though it's a 16 year old game it's well worth playing. Timeless classic!

• ChengizVlad09 and Payne Killer like this

Noclue_42
  • Noclue_42

How much for the ape?!

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 29 July 2017 - 11:41 AM

REMEDY ENTERTAINMENT - they created Max Payne 1! and they did so, wonderfully, without any help or whatever from R*. R* just bought the IP or something right after Max Payne 1, so they owned the rights to the franchise from there on in. Because they, we wanted another Max Payne. The 2nd game was kind of 50/50 in terms of development and input I guess, both Remedy and R* involved, then Max Payne 3 was just R*.

it is one of the best franchises in gaming, hands down!

• ChengizVlad09 likes this

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

...I will very carefully explain to you why it cannot be.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Best Poster [Rockstar Games] 2016
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:09 PM Edited by Spider-Vice, 29 July 2017 - 03:10 PM.

Rockstar did help produce the first two Max Paynes. Not for nothing they're credited AND there's an easter egg in Max Payne 1 with an audio recording of Sam (I think) Houser and the Remedy team saying thanks.

(and 3D Realms but man thank God they didn't take full creative control of the game, the E3 1997 trailer looked like Duke Nukem Payne)

• Tomasak and Payne Killer like this

Efreet
  • Efreet

I will keep you in black, on your behalf

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:24 PM

It's good. Want it to be gooder? Play it during chilly winter days, preferably in calm nights and room. I found this strategy to reinforce the bleak and chilly atmosphere of the game. 

• Spider-Vice and Payne Killer like this

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 July 2017 - 06:50 PM

Yes. /thread

Max Payne IS over the top and silly though... just also has a faux serious tone to it.

That's what makes it great.
  • Payne Killer likes this

Noclue_42
  • Noclue_42

How much for the ape?!

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 30 July 2017 - 05:03 AM

Rockstar did help produce the first two Max Paynes. Not for nothing they're credited AND there's an easter egg in Max Payne 1 with an audio recording of Sam (I think) Houser and the Remedy team saying thanks.

for real? Rockstar were on board since MP1? financing it? doing what exactly?! you seem to know it, spill the beans spice!

thalilmythos
  • thalilmythos

Vigilante.

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 July 2017 - 05:54 AM

Yes it is, i just finished the first nightmare level for the first time, and man, everyone should play this, incredible.

• Journey_95, Noclue_42 and Payne Killer like this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 30 July 2017 - 12:51 PM

Its f*cking amazing and has a great story with one of gaming's most compelling main characters. Play through the whole trilogy, in my opinion the second one is the best.

Night_MARE
  • Night_MARE

• Members
  • India

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:20 AM

SO, Buyed it yesterday. Its taking on me - I am addicted. The atmosphere, the graphics, hell, everything is just so fantastic. Nice story as far as i can make out of it - Max payne's wife got killed and its another revenge story - If I am WRONG DON'T TELL ME, LET THE PAGES UNFOLD!

Thanks all for all your suggestion. BTW, its not from R*, right?

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

...I will very carefully explain to you why it cannot be.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Best Poster [Rockstar Games] 2016
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 31 July 2017 - 12:17 PM

You're right, but you gotta let it unfold anyway. :p Also, yes, the first two games were written and developed by Remedy. Rockstar (along with 3D Realms and Gathering of Developers) helped producing it and publishing it but that's about it.

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 04 August 2017 - 06:27 PM Edited by Journey_95, 04 August 2017 - 06:28 PM.

I think the third game really missed Sam Lake, Rockstar's writing just didn't fit Max as well

BurnettVice
  • BurnettVice

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 August 2017 - 06:23 AM

Yes!!! The story and characters are so good. Max's monologues and metaphors are god tier. I like the graphic novel-esque cutscenes. I love how crazy Jack Lupino is, he's my fav baddie in the game. Am I the only who thinks Mona Sax looked better in 1 than 2? Also I love how immersive the game is, its like you can feel isolation from the outside world. Its like your right there beside Max. You can hear the bustling city, sirens, wind, people moving, and making noises.

Alexander
  • Alexander

where's my fccing son

• The Yardies
  • Venezuela

Posted 05 August 2017 - 01:49 PM

SO, Buyed it yesterday. Its taking on me - I am addicted. The atmosphere, the graphics, hell, everything is just so fantastic. Nice story as far as i can make out of it - Max payne's wife got killed and its another revenge story - If I am WRONG DON'T TELL ME, LET THE PAGES UNFOLD!

Thanks all for all your suggestion. BTW, its not from R*, right?

Yeah 1 and 2 are from Remedy.

Abour the story, well just play them. saying "just a revenge story" it's an oversimplification imo :p

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 08 August 2017 - 01:36 PM

I used to have a copy of MP1 on PS2, but I lent it to a mate and never got it back. Bastard.

It's probably been about 15 years since I last played it though. Every time I see screenshots I laugh because Max always looks constipated.:lol:

It was a pretty good game however. I still remember feeling creeped out by the nightmare sequence,
  • Payne Killer likes this

Wingate167
  • Wingate167

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:31 AM

It's a good start to the Max Payne series, the controls are a little wonky and Max always looks constipated.

Evil empire
  • Evil empire

Homie

• Members
  • France

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:47 AM

It's a quality game especially with some mods.

What do you love the most in games?

KilnerLUFC
  • KilnerLUFC

The idiots are taking over

• Members
  • Somalia

Posted 3 weeks ago

It was a pretty good game however. I still remember feeling creeped out by the nightmare sequence,

By far one of the creepiest sequences in any video game ever - hated playing that section when I was younger.

Still got MP1 for my PS2, just not got round to completing it due to lack of PS2 time.

Arrow
  • Arrow

• Facade
  • India
  • Helpfulness Award [WD&P Mega Topic]

Posted 3 weeks ago

MP1 brings back old memories. If you've played Max Payne 2 or 3, you'll know how good the Max Payne games are. MP1 was ahead of it's time in terms of a proper story. The nightmare sequences were creepy and confusing mazes. It's a good old "revenge plot classic".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users