8 replies to this topic
Ai家Cob家
  • Ai家Cob家

Ban Roulette Winner 2017!

• Members
  • Antarctica
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2017

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:46 AM

I don't have much experience when it comes to HDD but i am looking to buy an External HDD that i can download/install PC Games on to clean up my Internal HDD so i'm not left with only 90GB or whatever.

I need a Fast HDD with a good Interface...

I already have a 2TB Seagate Backup Plus so i was wondering if this one is good enough to do what i want.

http://www.bestbuy.c...p?skuId=2944503

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo N鄢yvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 27 July 2017 - 06:11 AM

No external USB HDD offers enough performance to game reliably on. In fact I'd go as far as to say we're reaching a point where HDDs full stop fail to provide sufficient performance for modern gaming. You may get away with a USB SSD drive but to be honest you're better off just buying a bigger internal drive.
  • HaRdSTyLe_83 and Ai家Cob家 like this

Ai家Cob家
  • Ai家Cob家

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 27 July 2017 - 06:45 AM

No external USB HDD offers enough performance to game reliably on. In fact I'd go as far as to say we're reaching a point where HDDs full stop fail to provide sufficient performance for modern gaming. You may get away with a USB SSD drive but to be honest you're better off just buying a bigger internal drive.

Yeah i know but i wasn't thinking when i bought my desktop, I bought prebuilt ROG A20AJ desktop rsz_2rsz_asus_g20aj_us006s_i3_4150_8gb_1 and it has a small slimish tower that makes it very hard to change out the parts in fact some parts are welded into the tower itself so i can't cut it and swap it with a new tower which i was going to do when i bought a 1070 GTX and found it was 2cm too big (newegg put down the wrong specs so i bought the wrong size card) and i couldn't get it to fit because a metal bar as blocking the path otherwise it would've fit just fine 

i was thinking of just building a new system anyways

LevelDockSix
  • LevelDockSix

Sure Shot

• Paleto Bay Mayor's Office
  • India

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:09 AM

An alternative would be to just swap out games you want to play b/w your internal and external drives. This is tedious of course but if you can't upgrade your existing PC then idk.

Ai家Cob家
  • Ai家Cob家

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 28 July 2017 - 12:15 AM

What about installing regular programs on the EHD and installing games on the IHD?

Dealux
  • Dealux

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:41 PM

In fact I'd go as far as to say we're reaching a point where HDDs full stop fail to provide sufficient performance for modern gaming.

In what way are they bad other than loading times?

What about installing regular programs on the EHD and installing games on the IHD?

What about an internal SSD for programs and stuff? If you can afford it, you can obviously buy a bigger SSD to store games on as well. The difference will be significant but big capacity drives are expensive. I basically hoard every game that I play or plan to play at some point and I have about 800-900 GB left of my 2 TB HDD. I'm not planning on dropping below 100 GB of free space.

I think I'll get a 4 TB SSHD next so that I can reliably play games and record videos with no bandwidth issues.

Ai家Cob家
  • Ai家Cob家

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:41 PM Edited by Ai家Cob家, 31 July 2017 - 11:44 PM.

What about an internal SSD for programs and stuff? If you can afford it, you can obviously buy a bigger SSD to store games on as well. The difference will be significant but big capacity drives are expensive. I basically hoard every game that I play or plan to play at some point and I have about 800-900 GB left of my 2 TB HDD. I'm not planning on dropping below 100 GB of free space.

I think I'll get a 4 TB SSHD next so that I can reliably play games and record videos with no bandwidth issues.

I already answered this when replying to Sivipacem post

Yeah i know but i wasn't thinking when i bought my desktop, I bought prebuilt ROG A20AJ desktop rsz_2rsz_asus_g20aj_us006s_i3_4150_8gb_1 and it has a small slimish tower that makes it very hard to change out the parts in fact some parts are welded into the tower itself so i can't cut it and swap it with a new tower which i was going to do when i bought a 1070 GTX and found it was 2cm too big (newegg put down the wrong specs so i bought the wrong size card) and i couldn't get it to fit because a metal bar as blocking the path otherwise it would've fit just fine 

i was thinking of just building a new system anyways

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo N鄢yvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 01 August 2017 - 05:46 AM

In fact I'd go as far as to say we're reaching a point where HDDs full stop fail to provide sufficient performance for modern gaming.

In what way are they bad other than loading times?
Pop-in with particularly high resolution textures (2K/4K+). Some games, like Fallout 4, suffer from quite serious texture glitches caused by textures failing to load in time when run from slower drives.

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Best Poster [Technology / Programming] 2016
    Best Poster [Programming] 2015
    Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 01 August 2017 - 07:13 AM

Many motherboards these days provide an external SATA port, which allows for an external SATA drive. That's option one.

USB 3.1 also provides up to 10Gbps, which is sufficient to run an external SATA III drive via USB. In fact, mechanical drive will be limited by HDD read/write speeds, not by the connection. And even an external SSD will perform barely worse on 3.1. If OP doesn't have USB 3.1 ports on the PC already, it's rather cheap to buy a card these days. I'm seeing them for $15 on Amazon. That's option two.

I still prefer internal drives for games, especially if you have an option of running an PCIe M.2 drive. But externals aren't as bad for gaming as they used to be. Latency is barely worse, and throughput is no worse than that of an internal drive.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users