Photo

[REL|MP] Max Payne: The Leftover Fixes

95 replies to this topic
The Eddo
  • The Eddo

Dead

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:28 AM Edited by The Eddo, 26 July 2017 - 09:27 AM.

Max Payne: The Leftover Fixes
by The Eddo

DESCRIPTION

This mod restores some of the BETA features in the game, fixes game bugs and adds several nice enhancements to make it shine in the next generation.
    Inspired by the Payne Evolution mod for Max Payne 2, but it's more like Leftover Fixes and SilentPatch for MP.

FEATURES

* Removed red flash which appears when getting damage.
    * Bullet Time now lasts for 20 seconds.
    * Bullet Time now regenerates from empty to full in 90 seconds as seen in Max Payne 2.
    * Shootdodging now no longer drains Bullet Time.

* Removed heartbeat sound from Bullet Time.
    * Music now can be heard during Bullet Time.
    * Added the Jump to Chapter option as seen in Max Payne 2, the option works just like in the sequel, you must complete the game once on Fugitive to unlock it.
    * Enemies and bosses now use their fire death screams as their falling to death screams.

* Weapon sounds are now much more audible.
    * Restored a third "Found Painkillers" dialogue which plays when picking up a painkiller for the first time (the dialogue was in the game but unused).
    * Restored Max's death sounds (the sounds were in the game but unused).
    * Projectile, clip, shell and weapon collision sounds are now a bit more varied (the sounds were in the game but unused).

* Now all characters in the game have and use their own voice sets properly in all cases, previously some characters used the generic "mobster" sounds.
    * Fixed game bug where Frankie Niagara, Boris Dime and Angelo Punchinello had two death sounds playing.
    * Removed cigarette from a trenchcoat enemy to help make the game safer for younger and\or sensitive players.
    * Project: Valhalla test subjects now behave like the other junkies in the game and use their voice set as well.

* Added a +75 health bonus for killing bosses (the feature was in the game but disabled), this can prove helpful in various situations.
    * Several weapons are now obtainable early in the game like in Max Payne 2 (only applies to "Roscoe Street Station", "Playing it Bogart" and "Angel of Death").
    * Restored Vinnie Gognitti's death sound (the sound was in the game but unused).
    * Fixed game bug where a particle effect did not play on some weapons when they were dropped.

* Lead Pipe is now available in Part II instead of being absent.
    * Fixed game bug where some levels did not have any skybox model, now all levels correctly have a skybox model (even those where skybox models don't appear).
    * Fixed game bug where picking up one Beretta gave you two Berettas.
    * Fixed game bug where picking up a Sawed-Off Shotgun gave you four bullets, you now correctly get two bullets.

* Now you can carry infinite amounts of ammo, the painkiller "ammo" limit is yet to be removed.
    * Darkened Max's jacket and shirt to match E3 2000 and graphic novel more closely.
    * Restored Max's "get hit" sounds but added them to Max's clone, the one you encounter in the first level of Part III (the sounds were in the game but unused).
    * Restored a texture for the Inner Circle members (the texture was in the game but unused).

* Max's health is now 100 instead of 60.
    * Restored Alex's death sound (the sound was in the game but unused).
    * B.B. now drops a Sawed-Off Shotgun and the Desert Eagle he used to kill Alex when killed.
    * A special music track now plays during the boss fight with Jack Lupino (the music track was in the game but unused).

* Restored all Killer Suit alert dialogues, the game now selects from a total of 32(!) alert dialogues (the sounds were in the game but unused).
    * Restored a Mercenary "get hit" sound (the sound was in the game but unused).
    * Added a +5 health bonus for killing enemies (the feature was in the game but disabled).
    * Killing Max's clone (the one you encounter in the first level of Part III) now rewards you with full health and Bullet Time.

* Police officers now use the Mercenaries' voice set.
    * Fixed game bug where health and Bullet Time bonuses were given for killing innocent characters.
    * Corrected the "get hit" sounds of a mobster in the toilet in "The Baseball Bat".
    * Changed the music playing in the menu to the one heard in graphic novel.

* Restored a "body land after falling" sound meant to play when a character hitted the ground after a long fall (the sound was in the game but unused).
    * Added death sounds to Max in the alternate cutscene at the end of "Pain and Suffering", the one which plays if you fail to take the radio mast down.

PLANNED FEATURES FOR THE NEXT VERSION

These features may (or may not) be added:

* Replace ALL weapon models, weapon clip models, weapon shell models, weapon bullet models, weapon ammo models and weapon sounds with the ones from Max Payne 2.
    * Add Dual Desert Eagles, MP5, Kalashinkov and Dragunov.
    * Remove painkiller "ammo" limit.
    * Make Max say "thank you" when picking up a weapon or a painkiller dropped by an enemy.

* Make a more accurate version of Max's E3 2000 skin.
    * Restore Nicole Horne's unused dialogue where she yells "NOOOOOOOOO!", this dialogue was meant to play in the final cutscene of "Pain and Suffering".
    * Add more variety to Max's sounds by adding the ones from Max Payne 2.
    * Make the "get hit" sounds work on Max.

* Make Max throw his empty weapon at enemies when he runs out of ammo for it.
    * Restore the unused jacket whirling sounds.
    * Add a Hitman: Contracts-like death sequence; when Max's health is below 25%, he must kill enough enemies to regain health before he dies.
    * Turn Lead Pipe into a backup side-arm by replacing it with a functional gun with infinite ammo.

* Restore unused sounds that were meant to be used in the final cutscene of "Pain and Suffering".
    * Make every sound in the game much more audible.
    * Replace skybox textures with the ones from Max Payne 2.

Porting stuff from Max Payne 2 to Max Payne is very easy since both games use the same game engine and the same file formats.
    Every planned feature above is 100% possible to add.

INSTALLATION

Simple, put the provided data folder next to MaxPayne.exe and start the game WITH NO MOD SELECTED or else the game will crash.

And by "no mod selected" I mean to make sure that "<none selected>" is selected in the "Choose Customized Game" drop-down box in the game launcher.

USAGE

Just start the game, mod will take effect instantly, no need to do anything.

SUPPORTED GAME VERSIONS

This mod should work with all PC versions of Max Payne, I designed, developed and tested this mod on version 1.05 of the game and it works well.

FINAL NOTE

Expect updates!

Download Link: http://www.yourfilel...php?fid=1389281.

• Jinx., Mega, Reyks and 6 others like this

Inadequate
  • Inadequate

Midnight Emulator

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 July 2017 - 06:32 PM

No screenshots?

gts.
  • gts.

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:41 PM

What's the leftovers here? Are you using unused content?

ermaccer
  • ermaccer

I can mod everything.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:05 PM

Porting stuff from Max Payne 2 to Max Payne is very easy since both games use the same game engine and the same file formats.
    Every planned feature above is 100% possible to add.

yeah

Helegad
  • Helegad

Completionist

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:00 PM

* Removed cigarette from a trenchcoat enemy to help make the game safer for younger and\or sensitive players.

Are you f*cking kidding me?

• gamerzworld, Luna Lovegood, Frank.s and 15 others like this

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:42 PM

Some of this stuff sounds good, but there's a handful of unnecessary changes and gameplay softeners that sour the rest of the mod.
  • Blackbird88, Jinx., Mega and 3 others like this

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:16 AM

giphy.gif

I mean there's good fixes here that you should show off in a video, but this one? It's a game where you're killing people en mass John Woo style.
  • gamerzworld, Luna Lovegood, Jinx. and 6 others like this

The Eddo
  • The Eddo

Dead

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 27 July 2017 - 06:30 AM Edited by The Eddo, 27 July 2017 - 06:44 AM.

Are you f*cking kidding me?

See my answers below:

(insert image here)

I mean there's good fixes here that you should show off in a video, but this one? It's a game where you're killing people en mass John Woo style.

There's a Parental Lock option in this game which, when enabled, removes all of the adult content not suitable for younger and\or sensitive players (but the game is still playable).

It does a good job removing the adult content but I think it doesn't remove that cigarette from that trenchcoat mobster, so I decided to do this.

And I cannot make a video for this, sorry.

You must play the mod to find out.

What's the leftovers here? Are you using unused content?

Max's death sounds and fire death sounds.

Max's "get hit" sounds.

Vinnie Gognitti's death sound.

Killer Suit alert dialogues (a total of 32).

Mercenary "get hit" sound.

Alex's death sound.

"The Flesh of Fallen Angels" music track.

Unused Inner Circle member texture.

"The pills would make the pain go away for a while" inner monologue.

Health bonuses.

A "THUD!" sound after falling to death.

And TONS, and I mean TONS of other UNUSED and BETA content.

Damn, Remedy cut out so many things I can't describe, there are LOADS of unused enemy skin textures in the game files, but I don't know how to restore them so they are untouched.

True Fact: The game files contain Mona Sax's face texture, meaning she was originally meant to appear in-game, not only in graphic novel .

We should make a BETA topic for this game, I think.

By the way, here's a complete list of weapons that are now obtainable early in the game, I got this idea when I saw Max use a Sniper Rifle in the E3 1998 trailer.

Weapon:                            Found in:

Sawed-Off Shotgun            Roscoe Street Station (on a dead transit cop slumped over his desk)

Ingram                               Same as above, comes with a box of Ingram Ammo

Sniper Rifle                        Playing it Bogart (on a fat mobster lying dead in a bed), comes with two boxes of Sniper Rifle Ammo

Ingram                               Same as above, but without an ammo box

Five Molotov Cocktails       Angel of Death (on a fat mobster lying dead in the basement)

Colt Commando                 Same as above

Two Grenades                    Angel of Death (on a mobster in a dark blue suit lying dead in the basement)

Jackhammer                       Same as above

ermaccer
  • ermaccer

I can mod everything.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:08 AM Edited by ermaccer, 27 July 2017 - 07:08 AM.

Are you sure it's unused? I believe i heard it in Roscoe Station.

The Eddo
  • The Eddo

Dead

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:30 AM Edited by The Eddo, 27 July 2017 - 07:30 AM.

Are you sure it's unused? I believe i heard it in Roscoe Station.

No, you usually either hear "the pills would ease the pain" or "the pills would hold the pain back for a while" without this mod, this new dialogue was unused so I restored it. :)

B_Smiles
  • B_Smiles

now outta therapy and ready to date your sister!!!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:30 AM Edited by B_Smiles, 27 July 2017 - 08:31 AM.

Ey, your mod broke my game and it dispatched two detectives to my house, how could you?!
jk, this is actually pretty good! Ive only played for a couple hours yesterday and heard a lot of dialogues already. Have you thought about making some minor map edits too? For example removing the large cupboard blocking the dining room in max's house?
Also, which levels were missing their skyboxes?
Edit
Why are the weapons so shiny?

The Eddo
  • The Eddo

Dead

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:42 AM

Have you thought about making some minor map edits too? For example removing the large cupboard blocking the dining room in max's house?

I'm afraid I can't do that, the game levels are in .LDB format, a format that no program can edit, so levels cannot be edited.

Also, which levels were missing their skyboxes?

An Empire of Evil

Nightmare (first level of Part II)

Angel of Death

The Drug Trip (first level of Part III)

Hidden Truths

Why are the weapons so shiny?

You mean the ones that appear lying on the ground? The game already has this, it's not my mod's feature.

Helegad
  • Helegad

Completionist

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:46 AM

I feel like you're changing things just to prove you can. It's an M rated game about some poor schmuck's family being brutally slaughtered by druggos and his quest for revenge. A cigarette doesn't make an iota of difference, and if you're a "sensitive" player, maybe you should stick to E ratings.

Max says "bullsh*t" in one comic panel, that's really inappropriate and it might offend some sensitive players too, better go hunt that one down pronto.

• Rachel Amber likes this

The Eddo
  • The Eddo

Dead

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:56 AM Edited by The Eddo, 27 July 2017 - 11:00 AM.

I feel like you're changing things just to prove you can. It's an M rated game about some poor schmuck's family being brutally slaughtered by druggos and his quest for revenge. A cigarette doesn't make an iota of difference, and if you're a "sensitive" player, maybe you should stick to E ratings.

Max says "bullsh*t" in one comic panel, that's really inappropriate and it might offend some sensitive players too, better go hunt that one down pronto.

Parental Lock disables the following:

Blood

Graphic Novels (all of them)

Images with adult content (this includes those dirty magazines and posters lying around in Lupino's Hotel)

Dialogues with adult content (this includes Lupino's shoutings and more)

I am not changing things just to prove I can, I just wanted to remove the only thing Parental Lock couldn't; the cigarette.

I DO NOT play with Parental Lock on by the way and I know removing the cigarette doesn't make a lot of difference, it's just a minor edit, that's all. :)

Look here for more info on Parental Lock:

http://www.imdb.com/...7/parentalguide

EDIT:

Parental Lock can be enabled from the game launcher by adding a password to it and the only way to disable it is to retype the password.

B_Smiles
  • B_Smiles

now outta therapy and ready to date your sister!!!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:05 AM Edited by B_Smiles, 27 July 2017 - 11:14 AM.

Not to mention the dead baby, the syringes of valkyr lying about [someone could prick themselves], rico muerte and that hooker, oh! and the mess left by those addicts in max's home. That could trigger someones ocd D:
Edit hmm parental lock does that..

Helegad
  • Helegad

Completionist

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:04 PM

Who the f*ck plays this game with Parental Lock on anyway? Cigarettes aren't offensive either, you're a big baby.

crying-babies.jpg

The Eddo
  • The Eddo

Dead

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:33 PM Edited by The Eddo, 27 July 2017 - 12:42 PM.

I am NOT a big baby, I'm just appreciating Parental Lock which makes the game safer for younger and/or sensitive players.

Cigarettes not offensive? Cigarettes have killed millions of people, and this poison is STILL killing people.

We cannot let children smoke and die like that.

Now stop whining about cigarettes, the air is already polluted enough.

• Jinx., Jeansowaty and Rachel Amber like this

Jinx.
  • Jinx.

certified forklift driver

• Facade Corporation
  • Uzbekistan
  • Best WIP Mod 2014 [Grand Theft Auto 3D]

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:03 PM Edited by Jinx., 27 July 2017 - 06:08 PM.

-since the cigarette feature is not optional I changed my words. soz helegad-

Cool mod, Eddo! Atleast you did something pretty original for once! Good luck :)
  • Rachel Amber and The Eddo like this

The Eddo
  • The Eddo

Dead

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:54 PM Edited by The Eddo, 27 July 2017 - 03:55 PM.

it's still an addition to that optional mode. Atleast he didn't change it in the normal mode (THANKFULLY)

Regardless of Parental Lock being on or off, the cigarette will never appear now.

But hey, smoking kills, you know? Max said it in the first level by saying "it's bad for the baby".

Cool mod, Eddo! Atleast you did something pretty original for once! Good luck :)

Thank you very much, Mr. Jinx. :)

Note: The Legend of Kazuki Kasen has been renamed to The Painful Memories, just letting you know in case you can't find it.

Jinx.
  • Jinx.

• Facade Corporation
  • Uzbekistan

Posted 27 July 2017 - 06:06 PM

Then I must change my words. Soz Helegad.

Sorry but this decision is really sh*t. I mean keeping it for Parental Lock would make more sense, but outside it? Nah man, that is wrong. Even though smoking isn't good, this decision is really bad. I'd make an optional file to restore it back :)
  • gamerzworld and darkdrifter like this

Helegad
  • Helegad

Completionist

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 July 2017 - 12:27 AM

Eddo is the sort of guy who walks past someone enjoying a cigarette away from everyone else and still goes COUGH and gives them a stupid look.

• Frank.s and Jinx. like this

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 July 2017 - 01:27 AM

Besides the cigarette crap, can we talk about the changes the bullet time, Max's health, and other things that make the game generally easier for no good reason? Restoring beta content is cool, but "restoring" gameplay nerfs should be optional or something.
  • Jinx. likes this

The Eddo
  • The Eddo

Dead

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:03 AM

Eddo is the sort of guy who walks past someone enjoying a cigarette away from everyone else and still goes COUGH and gives them a stupid look.

:angry:

@Helegad: Happy now, Helegad? I restored the DAMN cigarette! And the cigarette will only reappear in the next version of this mod, not this one, now quit whining and get the hell out of this topic.

Besides the cigarette crap, can we talk about the changes the bullet time, Max's health, and other things that make the game generally easier for no good reason? Restoring beta content is cool, but "restoring" gameplay nerfs should be optional or something.

I made Bullet Time last for 20 seconds because I wanted it to match GTA's Adrenaline Pill effects.

And this mod's goal is to make Max Payne more like it successors, Max Payne 2 has regenerating Bullet Time and Shootdodging that doesn't drain Bullet Time so I added these two features in.

Heartbeat sound was quite annoying, so I removed it and allowed gameplay music to be heard in Bullet Time as well.

Max's health was originally meant to be 100, this is a BETA feature.

Health bonuses were disabled so I enabled them again.

Besides, isn't it useful to get a +75 health bonus after a boss fight? This feature really proves it's usefulness when you win a boss fight with no painkillers left and there are more mobsters coming for you.

None of these are "nerfs" nor they are supposed to be "nerfs", they are just nice little gameplay additions.

By the way, here's a feature I forgot to mention:

* The mobster at the vending machine in "Playing it Bogart" now kicks the machine instead of messing with it's buttons (animation was in the game but unused).

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 July 2017 - 03:43 PM

Yeah they were in the beta, but probably removed because they made the gameplay too easy. Just because it was in the beta version of the game, doesn't mean it should be restored.
  • Jinx. and darkdrifter like this

Reyks
  • Reyks

Valar Morghulis

• Feroci
  • Brazil
  • Helpfulness Awards [Mods]

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:20 PM

I really like the idea of this mod and I appreciate the work you've put into it, but I must say the gameplay improvements and generally stuff that makes the game easier should be made optional...

Maybe include an .ini switch or perhaps a separate version with only the essential bug fixes.

• Tomasak, Jinx., Rachel Amber and 1 other like this

The Eddo
  • The Eddo

Dead

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 29 July 2017 - 06:28 AM Edited by The Eddo, 29 July 2017 - 06:44 AM.

Unfortunately, MP engine doesn't support that .ini stuff.

Max's health was 60, and now it's 100, the health has been only increased by 40% and you can still get torn up by Ingram bullets in a 2-3 seconds like in the original game.

I found no difference in difficulty when I played the game, it remains as difficult as before.

However, the next version may include modifications to the game's difficulty levels.

Health bonuses can be quite useful if you don't have any painkillers left or if wish to conserve painkillers for later use.

EDIT:

@Helegad: I have reported you for including an image in your post that is disgusting, disturbing and inappropriate.

Jinx.
  • Jinx.

• Facade Corporation
  • Uzbekistan

Posted 29 July 2017 - 06:57 AM

Yeah, I'd keep the health bonuses. They are pretty useful in case you have low health. And same for the other MP2 stuff too.

I'd remove the in-game music from the Bullet Time, though. It gave you that feeling that the time has slowed down.

fannys
  • fannys

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 July 2017 - 02:48 PM

The Eddo

Glory of windows xp.

Helegad
  • Helegad

Completionist

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 29 July 2017 - 11:28 PM

This mod is rubbish. It's not "the leftover fixes", it's just "Eddo's custom MP game". At least be honest with your title.

• Blackbird88, Tomasak and BobFromReboot like this

The Eddo
  • The Eddo

Dead

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:19 AM Edited by The Eddo, 30 July 2017 - 07:40 AM.

Get the hell out of this topic, both of you.

@Helegad: Why don't you do everyone a favor and F*CK OFF THESE FORUMS?!? You're an annoyance! I feel SICKENED whenever I see a post from you!

@fannys: Get your DISGUSTING AND INAPPROPRIATE avatar and signature outta here! God, you should be banned for such an immoral thing! And I recently upgraded to Windows 7.

Sorry, but this had to be done, you two deserve this rant!

EDIT:

@Jinx.: Mod progress update.

Time now slows down with music, so now when the time slows down, music slows down as well.

Hitman: Contracts-like death sequence implemented.

Removed spinning camera when Max dies.

Increased the variety of Max's death animations.

Getting ready to hack painkiller "ammo" limit.

Getting ready to convert MP2 weapons to MP1.

EDIT 2:

Then I must change my words. Soz Helegad.

Sorry but this decision is really sh*t. I mean keeping it for Parental Lock would make more sense, but outside it? Nah man, that is wrong. Even though smoking isn't good, this decision is really bad. I'd make an optional file to restore it back :)

The reason why I removed the cigarette was that the cigarette stays stuck in that trench-coat mobster's mouth when he dies, that's the actual reason why I did this, feels like he glued it to his mouth.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users