Photo

GPU Usage spiking in GTA V

7 replies to this topic
derajnosbig
  • derajnosbig

Player Hater

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 25 July 2017 - 03:18 AM Edited by derajnosbig, 28 July 2017 - 03:04 AM.

In GTA V I get constant 60 fps on high settings but while this is happening my GPU Usage ranges from goes like 60%, 90%, 12%, 50% and so on. Basically just super unstable. This causes me to get huge lag spikes every minute or so which actually rubber bands me within the game making it nearly impossible to win a race. I don't have any overclocks and GTA V is the only game I see this issue.

PC SPECS: 

Intel i5 6600k (Stock clock speeds)

Sapphire R9 380x 4GB

16GB HyperX DDR3

650W PSU

HyperX 250GB SSD

Edit: After posting I've realized that my CPU usage being around 95-100% is most likely to blame. Any tips for solving CPU bottlenecking. I have tried closing everything else in task manager, and I set GTA V to "high priority" but nothing has worked.

Any help is super appreciated cuz this is so damn annoying.

Edward Nashton
  • Edward Nashton

A Traveler of Both Time and Space.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:57 AM Edited by Edward Nashton, 25 July 2017 - 06:59 AM.

Where do you normally get these frame rate dips? I'm not too familiar with AMD GPUs but I think it's the equivalent of a GTX 960 - I've got a GTX 980 ti and no matter how far I turn down some settings, I still get dips on certain parts of the map. The game Is just not optimized very well, what you're experiencing is normal.

• LoxagosKapotas likes this

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:08 AM Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83, 25 July 2017 - 11:10 AM.

Where do you normally get these frame rate dips? I'm not too familiar with AMD GPUs but I think it's the equivalent of a GTX 960 - I've got a GTX 980 ti and no matter how far I turn down some settings, I still get dips on certain parts of the map. The game Is just not optimized very well, what you're experiencing is normal.

GPU usage going down is anything but normal, means something is not keeping up with it, it has nothing to do with heavier parts in the game, that may give you lower frames per second but not gpu usage going down. (unless the game is cpu dependent that is)

the 6600k is the same i have and it still keep up with my 1080 at 1440p. are you doing something in the background? windows updates or streaming?

how is your CPU / Disk / Ram usage on windows task manager?

Edward Nashton
  • Edward Nashton

A Traveler of Both Time and Space.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:23 PM Edited by Edward Nashton, 25 July 2017 - 12:23 PM.

^I think I misunderstood OP's issue. I mistook his lag spikes as the same as the FPS drops I get when I go to a part of the map with heavy foliage. Unless he's having hardware issues or his GPU driver needs an update, I don't know what's gong on there.

derajnosbig
  • derajnosbig

Player Hater

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:00 PM

Can definitely say this is not normal. I have multiple friends with the same GPU who have no struggle with GPU usage.

derajnosbig
  • derajnosbig

Player Hater

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:19 PM

GPU usage going down is anything but normal, means something is not keeping up with it, it has nothing to do with heavier parts in the game, that may give you lower frames per second but not gpu usage going down. (unless the game is cpu dependent that is)

the 6600k is the same i have and it still keep up with my 1080 at 1440p. are you doing something in the background? windows updates or streaming?

how is your CPU / Disk / Ram usage on windows task manager?

Only things running in the background are discord and NZXT CAM so I can monitor stuff.

One thing I notice is that my CPU is always in the 95-100% range for usage, but in task manager it says all of it is coming from GTA. 6600k shouldn't be working that hard to run the game. As for RAM, it seems stable, using about 8GB while in game. Disk usage stays between 0-7% while in game. 

When I have one of my huge lag spikes, my CPU and GPU usage both go down to below 20, but my GPU is always going up and down.

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:56 PM

mine runs at 75% usage, sometimes it hits 90's or 100% when in a full lobby, but it comes back down quickly. i also have CAM and notice a bit of performance loss, but nothing important. after all its a 4 cores with no hyper-threading so the more programs running, the bigger the performance hit you are going to get. but if you are getting such low CPU/GPU usage they cant be the ones to blame.

You are already running from the SSD and the PSU either supplies enough power and the componentes run, or it doesnt and they dont run at all.

is this problem just on GTA or other games?

derajnosbig
  • derajnosbig

Player Hater

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 28 July 2017 - 03:02 AM

mine runs at 75% usage, sometimes it hits 90's or 100% when in a full lobby, but it comes back down quickly. i also have CAM and notice a bit of performance loss, but nothing important. after all its a 4 cores with no hyper-threading so the more programs running, the bigger the performance hit you are going to get. but if you are getting such low CPU/GPU usage they cant be the ones to blame.

You are already running from the SSD and the PSU either supplies enough power and the componentes run, or it doesnt and they dont run at all.

is this problem just on GTA or other games?

I've only noticed this problem on GTA, but then again GTA is by far the most CPU intensive game I play. I just don;t get it because I have a friend who plays GTA on the same settings and he also has a 6600k with R9 380 and he gets no frame drops.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users