Photo

This is the only place where GTA IV is popular

32 replies to this topic
Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 19 July 2017 - 05:39 PM Edited by Journey_95, 19 July 2017 - 05:47 PM.

I mean its good that there is at least one place that appreciates GTA IV but its really quite disappointing that overall its not very popular or well liked.

Be it on the GTA subreddits, other GTA communities, Facebook etc. people don't like the more serious and grounded style of IV at all and clearly prefer the over the top & lighthearted style of the other games.

Its a shame because the game deserves more appreciation, not to mention this means that we will never see another more serious GTA again..

• Official General, CartmanKusanagi, ToyGT_one and 7 others like this

DimitriFaustin
  • DimitriFaustin

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:05 PM

IV definitely should be more appreciated, but the same thing can be said for really all the other GTAs. (Well, except for San Andreas, maybe.)

There's so far no GTA that floats everyone's boats, so to speak.

I think that Rockstar will make another GTA that takes cues and hints from I, III and IV, maybe not VI, but it'll happen one day. A lot of people on YouTube on GTA related videos speak quite well of the game,

last time I checked.

For what it's worth, I think Rockstar's pretty much been serious with the HD Universe games, Online being another story.

• eCola likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy
  • Best Poster [Vehicles] 2016

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:08 PM

Eh, at this point I kind of don't care. I like what I like. Game is great to me if I enjoy it, doesn't matter if it's very well received or highly criticized.

• Official General, anthony, HaythamKenway and 2 others like this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:14 PM

IV definitely should be more appreciated, but the same thing can be said for really all the other GTAs. (Well, except for San Andreas, maybe.)

I think that Rockstar will make another GTA that takes cues and hints from I, III and IV, maybe not VI, but it'll happen one day. A lot of people on YouTube on GTA related videos speak quite well of the game,

last time I checked.

For what it's worth, I think Rockstar's pretty much been serious with the HD Universe games, Online being another story.

V wasn't really serious at all, they basically had to force cheap jokes into every cutscene and make everyone a caricature. Even the most serious mission of the game (Bury the Hatchet) became a joke towards the end...

Eh, at this point I kind of don't care. I like what I like. Game is great to me if I enjoy it, doesn't matter if it's very well received or highly criticized.

Fair point but the overall reception clearly impacted V and since most people like the latter more we won't see a more serious GTA again. Thats a waste of potential imho.

• CartmanKusanagi and eCola like this

DimitriFaustin
  • DimitriFaustin

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:46 PM

last time I checked.

V wasn't really serious at all, they basically had to force cheap jokes into every cutscene and make everyone a caricature. Even the most serious mission of the game (Bury the Hatchet) became a joke towards the end...

If you didn't think V was "serious" - that's fine. But there were characters who were "caricatures" and "forced cheap jokes" in the GTA series long before V came along. In fact, it's rather

fitting that so many characters in V were caricatures considering the setting, which is extremely superficial and judgmental of everyone.

Both IV and V are great video games though, so I'll just leave it at that.

~Tiger~
  • ~Tiger~

• GTA Series Staff
  • None
  • Best Ledby 2015
    Best Ledby 2014
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]
    Contribution Award [GTA V]
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:24 PM

I mean its good that there is at least one place that appreciates GTA IV 

It is part of the culture of GTA Forums that positive discussion and appreciation is encouraged, and 'bitching and moaning' confined to their dedicated threads. 

Not that we wish to harness freedom of expression or opinion, but it is fundamentally so easy to complain and if unchecked, the complaints just go on and on. This is what you see in social media and general interest message boards and it isn't just GTA IV either. Everyone likes to complain about everything, it seems.

So GTA Forums seeks to celebrate the positives, in all GTA games especially GTA IV which was an eagerly awaited and is still a rightly appreciated milestone in gaming history.

We are a fan site after all...

• Algonquin Assassin, HaythamKenway, UltraGizmo64 and 5 others like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 20 July 2017 - 01:20 AM

Just gives GTA IV an outlaw status IMO. Not very well liked by gamers in general, but its fans can see what an amazing game it is. Regardless if people still want to bitch and moan about it, it kinda proves what impact it made that they're still doing it after nearly 10 years. Look what it did to Osho.;)

Like most long franchises sooner than later a game comes along and causes people to flip their sh*t because the developer hasn't stuck by the conventions they're comfortable with and I guess GTA IV's that game for the GTA series.

• Tycek, gunziness, Official General and 11 others like this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy
  • Best Poster [Vehicles] 2016

Posted 20 July 2017 - 01:51 AM

IV is like many products in a series where there is that one big change and everybody goes nuts. Like Porsche. Used to be water cooled. Once they moved to air cooling it was the end of the world. Once they moved to electric steering people lost it. Once PDK was the only transmission offered in a certain trim of the 911 and purists had a field day. Despite all of these they still make great cars but people hate change so they bitch about it.

• Algonquin Assassin, Journey_95, ToyGT_one and 1 other like this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 20 July 2017 - 01:59 AM

Just gives GTA IV an outlaw status IMO. Not very well liked by gamers in general, but its fans can see what an amazing game it is. Regardless if people still want to bitch and moan about it, it kinda proves what impact it made that they're still doing it after nearly 10 years. Look what it did to Osho. ;)

Like most long franchises sooner than later a game comes along and causes people to flip their sh*t because the developer hasn't stuck by the conventions they're comfortable with and I guess GTA IV's that game for the GTA series.

Yeah people clearly don't like change in a long running franchise, IV proved that.  RDR was quite similiar in many ways but got a lot of praise for the things people bashed IV for just because it was a new IP (deserved praise but still).

Its interestnig to think about how the series would have gone if it was better received but I suppose it doesn't matter at this point,  considering Rockstar's obsession with Online which seems ot leave both types of fans behind. 

• Algonquin Assassin likes this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:15 AM

Yeah people clearly don't like change in a long running franchise, IV proved that.  RDR was quite similiar in many ways but got a lot of praise for the things people bashed IV for just because it was a new IP (deserved praise but still).

Technically it wasn't a new I.P as such, but not many people knew about Red Dead Revolver so the conventions (as I said above) were different. If GTA IV wasn't a GTA game and its own I.P I think it would've been given universal acclaim like Redemption did because lets face it the majority of the criticism it gets is there's "nothing to do" and it takes itself "too" seriously which is all fuelled by bias for the 3D era GTAs.

Redemption never faced that problem being only the second game in the Red Dead series where comparisons to its predecessor were very rare..

• UltraGizmo64 and Payne Killer like this

Gummy 
  • Gummy 

F*ck thyself

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 July 2017 - 04:40 AM

The reception has been getting more positive everywhere else, too.

• EtherTakeover likes this

Neon_Dreaming
  • Neon_Dreaming

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

We're connoisseurs of good taste here at Gtaf 😎
  • Algonquin Assassin and Journey_95 like this

AmigaMix
  • AmigaMix

human being

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 4 weeks ago

Reddit

Facebook

Who would have thought?! ;)

Spoiler

• theGTAking101, Zello, The Deadite and 1 other like this

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

Reddit
Facebook

Who would have thought?! ;)
Spoiler
These are the places where'd you'd get the best idea of what general/casual gamers think about games though, not dedicated forums. Unfortunately it's not as appreciated as it should be outside this place, I find the reaction to it is still pretty much a "love it or hate it" scenario.

Of course, people are allowed to not like the game, but my issue is the criticisms towards it are almost always the same. "It's grey/boring." Like they're just parroting what other people used to say about it and haven't actually played much of it themselves. They can almost never even explain what exactly is boring about it. And the complaints towards the story being too serious just seemed to reinforce the idea that GTA players are a bunch of dumbasses that just want to cause random mayhem and nothing else. Looking at the state of Online, it's probably true for the majority.
  • Algonquin Assassin, Official General, Journey_95 and 2 others like this

AmigaMix
  • AmigaMix

human being

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 4 weeks ago

@Piggsy pls: Reddit and Facebook also think of Skyrim as an rpg, "parroting" is what you'll have to expect in those places (if you're willing to ignore every person that doesn't fit the "f*cking normies"-narrative)... GTA games also aren't really known for their nuanced writing, which was one of IV's "schticks".

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 4 weeks ago

Of course, people are allowed to not like the game, but my issue is the criticisms towards it are almost always the same. "It's grey/boring." Like they're just parroting what other people used to say about it and haven't actually played much of it themselves. They can almost never even explain what exactly is boring about it. And the complaints towards the story being too serious just seemed to reinforce the idea that GTA players are a bunch of dumbasses that just want to cause random mayhem and nothing else. Looking at the state of Online, it's probably true for the majority.

Couldn't agree more. It's just like the driving being "boat like". It's like someone said it now it's spread like a disease because hardly anyone explains how they handle like boats as it's not unreasonable to think most of these people have never driven a boat in their life to know how one handles.

At least when people criticise San Andreas, GTA V, GTAO they give the impression they've played them for more than 30 minutes and aren't just recycling run of the mill criticisms because they saw them elsewhere.

Constructive criticism is always welcome, but the same old "it's grey, brown, boring, there's nothing to do, it's too serious"' complaints at this point are just extremely lazy and not very thought provoking.

• B Dawg, Tycek, Journey_95 and 4 others like this

AmigaMix
  • AmigaMix

human being

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 4 weeks ago

At least when people criticise San Andreas, [GTA V, GTAO] they give the impression they've played them for more than 30 minutes and aren't just recycling run of the mill criticisms

GTAO: yes, V: I guess...

But the amount of people who disregarded San Andreas as a ghetto-simulator is ridiculous. 

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 4 weeks ago

At least when people criticise San Andreas, [GTA V, GTAO] they give the impression they've played them for more than 30 minutes and aren't just recycling run of the mill criticisms

But the amount of people who disregarded San Andreas as a ghetto-simulator is ridiculous. 

It is a ghetto simulator though that has an identity crisis. It doesn't know whether it also wants to be James Bond and Ocean's 11. :p

I can perfectly understand why GTA V has one too. It takes the same cues from this game trying to be the jack of all trades.

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 4 weeks ago

I wish SA was a ghetto simulator, the LS part is by far the best and actually up to par to VC storywise. But then they also try to have mob focus in it, a heist, alien goo and jetpacks, stealing jets etc. and it just jumps the shark.

• Algonquin Assassin, Matty, Official General and 4 others like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 4 weeks ago

Even though GTA IV isn't that popular at least people are still willing to show its strength compared to the more "popular" GTA games.

David crushes Goliath hahaha.

• Scaglietti, Payne Killer and eCola like this

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

Scavenger

• Zaibatsu
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 4 weeks ago

IV is not much of a crowd pleaser, which is fine. V was designed to be as broadly acceptable and marketable as possible, both to recapture the lost audience who was disappointed by IV and to create a bedrock for Online. IV, while following then-current industry trends as well, was more of an artistic effort first. Rockstar obviously build and marketed the game to be a best seller, but the artistic vision took precedence. TLaD even more so. But from TBoGT onwards, Rockstar just decided to give the people what they want and their own creative expression suffered as a result.

Sorry for a bit of a tangent, that's something I'm very much worried in regards to RDR2 too. That instead of some new excercise, a foray into a new territory, like IV, TLaD, Redemption, LAN and even MP3 were at the time, all RDR2 will strive to be is to merely recapture that spark and magic of the first game, just like V wanted to mash together everything people loved about previous GTA titles. Given how strong of a game RDR was an how long it has been since it came out, it would still make for a decent game, but I wish R* would again surprise us and challenge us like they did from 2008 to 2012, instead of just delivering wonders we all already expect.

Still, the critical reevaluation IV underwent in the last four years is something that should not be overlooked. The internet is much kinder to IV than it was nine years ago, partly from V lifting the burden of being the "big, current GTA" from IV and allowing people to look at the game for what it really is, unbound by expectation and partly from, I'm just going to say it, the younger people who played and loved IV in their teenage years having more of a presence in the community and the critical circles, while being able to articulate and frame their arguments better and more efficiently.

For what it's worth IV tends to be respected and appreciated way more these days. It's definitely not just here.

• Algonquin Assassin, Jabalous, B Dawg and 6 others like this

Queen Elizabeth II
  • Queen Elizabeth II

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 4 weeks ago

With Grand Theft Auto IV it is not possible to make stupid videos with stupid screaming people who are recording it in the background. 

Grand Theft Auto IV is calm and classy while other Grand Theft Auto games are created especially for teenagers who like being amused by guys with stupid over-the-top reactions and constantly-screaming syndrome.

• Algonquin Assassin and Journey_95 like this

Neon_Dreaming
  • Neon_Dreaming

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Neon_Dreaming, 4 weeks ago.

Before IV the last most popular Gta was San Andreas. Maybe some people were expecting a game in the same vein of San Andreas, now in a new city with shiny new graphics. Gta IV is a focused game, it knows what it is: A serious story with more grounded gameplay and missions compared to it's predecessors. And it does it very well. It's a bit like a cult movie, it has fans from day one but over time it is appreciated more. Perhaps that could be partly why Gta wasn't as well recieved on other sites. It wasn't a San Andreas 2.0, that maybe some fans were expecting.
  • Algonquin Assassin, gunziness, HaythamKenway and 1 other like this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 4 weeks ago

The thing with GTA IV is long before I even played the game whether it was from screen shots, the trailers or pre-release articles something about it always made it an obvious departure from San Andreas and the 3D era.

I don't believe R* were trying to fool anyone otherwise so I still maintain those that expected San Andreas 2.0 only had themselves to blame for creating their own misdirections.
  • gunziness likes this

Tomas.
  • Tomas.

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • None
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 4 weeks ago

IV's bike dismounts are pretty too much though..

Ertan Soner
  • Ertan Soner

Legendary Commenter

• Members
  • Turkey

Posted 2 weeks ago

There is always one game in the series which not liked by fans. Sometimes it is not liked because it is different, just like gta 4. The reason why people disliked is because it is not like sa...There is no jetpacks, planes, crazy cheats, crazy weapons. People thought it is going to be like sa, but they still don't get it. Not every gta needs to follow sa's steps. Not every game stay same, it will changes over time and gta 4 was a good change. It doesn't has crazy things and it is serious.

• Algonquin Assassin likes this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 2 weeks ago

There is always one game in the series which not liked by fans. Sometimes it is not liked because it is different, just like gta 4. The reason why people disliked is because it is not like sa...There is no jetpacks, planes, crazy cheats, crazy weapons. People thought it is going to be like sa, but they still don't get it. Not every gta needs to follow sa's steps. Not every game stay same, it will changes over time and gta 4 was a good change. It doesn't has crazy things and it is serious.

The thing with San Andreas is unlike most of this forum it represented a point where my interest in the series started to plateau. LCS and VCS were ok, but being hand held games they were limited and always felt like unofficial expansions to GTA III and Vice City.

The 3D era formula was getting stale and the series needed a serious shake up and that's what we got with GTA IV, but because there's apparently a lot of conformists and conservatives in the fan base anything to upset that delicate 3D era balance was never going to be accepted.

However it's refreshing that there are those that can embrace change and that's probably where most of GTA IV fan base come from. I loved the 3D era in its early stages, but San Andreas really opened my eyes how just doing wild and whacky games all the time does more harm than good in the long run.

I'm hopeful R* might revisit the platform they began with GTA IV and whilst I don't want GTA IV 2.0, 3.0 etc it would be nice to see another GTA embrace what GTA IV set out because GTA V sure as sh*t doesn't.
  • Tycek, theGTAking101, Zello and 1 other like this

Axl Rose
  • Axl Rose

Appetite For Illusion

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 2 weeks ago

I think it will be revered in due time. It has aged pretty well.

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

• Australia
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 2 weeks ago

I was just thinking even if this is the only place where GTA IV's popular it's still the biggest and best known GTA forum on the net so that accounts for something right? I've actually never really doubted it isn't that popular in general communities such as IGN and whatever, but the people who play the GTA games almost religiously can see what a great game it is.

Even if we're a minority we're a powerful one.

• theGTAking101, ~Tiger~ and TheOriginalGunslinger like this

Niko'sCousin11
  • Niko'sCousin11

Nightclubs, Women, Titties!

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 2 weeks ago

We win because other games don't have bowling and chasing college girls around the BEEG CEETIE

• Algonquin Assassin, theGTAking101 and StormBreaker like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users