Things that annoyed you in games you enjoyed

17 replies to this topic
Majesty Dreamworth
  • Majesty Dreamworth

Grand Marquess of Slumberdom

• Members
  • None

Posted 6 days ago

I apologize if there is already a thread that's similar to this (I wouldn't count the "clichés" thread, any way). Is there a game that you liked or loved that had a moment that still makes you role your eyes.

For me, in Dragon Age: Inquisition, it has to be when Mother Giselle sings the hymn in the encampment on the way to Skyhold. The song is fine by itself. The fact that a senior and reverend member of a clergy is singing a hymn in such unrestrained and narrow vibrato pisses me off, as both a fan of religious music and music in general. If she had sung in a wider vibrato, I wouldn't've thought twice about it, but how the hymn is sung in the game makes me think that the singer in question has no self-awareness in singing, which would be contrary to the training of either an actual singer or a notable member of clergy. It's just flat out grating.

fashion
  • fashion

Glory to Mankind!

• Members
  • None

Posted 6 days ago Edited by fashion, 6 days ago.

Nevermind :)

Noale
  • Noale

INKWIZYCJA

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 6 days ago

Mass Effect: Andromeda had a thing where every time you traveled between planets, you'd have to sit through the entire flight maneuver. I always dreaded that part. It turned a 2 second task into a 20 second one, and it adds up.

Thank god they added an option to skip now.

• Actlikeyouknow likes this

LiangHuBBB
  • LiangHuBBB

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 6 days ago

been playing and enjoying HS & Overwatch since their release but

• Gettin up, Audi and Actlikeyouknow like this

Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

Boy You Make Me Make Bad Decisions

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 6 days ago

I loved Manhunt 2's gore(I have it uncensored), but the storyline is so short and sh*tty.
  • Piggsy pls and Actlikeyouknow like this

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

Camp Crystal Lake

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 6 days ago

GTA IV. The camera phone lacking an option to save photos. I'll give GTA V props for correcting this with the Snapmatic.

Mafia II. The constant urgency to get to mission locations. Mafia III handles this better by allowing to deselect objectives IMO.

Mafia III. As stated in the Mafia III thread no fast travel option is really annoying.

Forza games in general. Always starting mid pack or towards the back in races. The series needs a qualifying format bad,
  • Scaglietti and Actlikeyouknow like this

Sir Michael
  • Sir Michael

EMFN.

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 6 days ago

-Tapping a button to sprint in GTA. I didn't mind it too much ten years ago, but that changed the moment I started to play shooters where pressing the left stick initiated sprinting. The CG version of GTA V has this option, even though it's kind of awkward.

- Third-person running animations on the last-gen Fallout games. I love playing 3 and NV in third-person, but the lack of diagonal running animations kind of bugged me. IIRC it had something to do with the Gamebryo engine, but I'm not too sure. This somewhat got fixed in Fallout 4, yet the running animations in that game weren't that great either IMO, especially since running up and down hills/stairs still used the same animation as the basic run. IDK, just one of those attention to detail things that bugs me when I notice it...
  • B Dawg likes this

Coleco
  • Coleco

Shut up and dance you FOOLS

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 5 days ago

The ending of Fallout 3.

All i'll say is this: reloading my save and blowing Fawkes to gibs over and over with my rocket launcher was the closest I could get to a decent conclusion for that game.

• Actlikeyouknow likes this

Rafae
  • Rafae

Boss

• GTAF Crew
  • None

Posted 5 days ago

The f*cking checkpoints in GTA San Andreas/VC/III.

Made me stop playing each for months at a time it was so bad. Thank god they fixed it with IV.

Majesty Dreamworth
  • Majesty Dreamworth

Grand Marquess of Slumberdom

• Members
  • None

Posted 5 days ago

The f*cking checkpoints in GTA San Andreas/VC/III.

Made me stop playing each for months at a time it was so bad. Thank god they fixed it with IV.

What checkpoints? You mean checkpoint-style diversions?

Rafae
  • Rafae

Boss

• GTAF Crew
  • None

Posted 5 days ago

What checkpoints? You mean checkpoint-style diversions?

Should have clarified my bad

The mission checkpoints when you fail them
  • Majesty Dreamworth likes this

Audi
  • Audi

ヤクザ

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 4 days ago

The servers on Rainbow 6 Siege

The toxic community of Overwatch

The lack of a briefcase for firearms in Hitman 2016

No car customization in Project CARS

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forgetti.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 4 days ago

Bioshock: Infinite - only two weapon slots and no visual changes on weapons after you upgrade them.

Max Payne 3 - every single character, but mostly Max's personality shift from an awesome detective with a penchant for dramatic narration of his own life to a self-pitying depressed alcoholic and a mass murderer. Sweet core gameplay though. It makes me want a remake of the first two games in RAGE.

I know I have more, but these will have to do for now.

• Mister Pink likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Pink.Inc

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 4 days ago

Max Payne 3 - every single character, but mostly Max's personality shift from an awesome detective with a penchant for dramatic narration of his own life to a self-pitying depressed alcoholic and a mass murderer. Sweet core gameplay though. It makes me want a remake of the first two games in RAGE.

I know I have more, but these will have to do for now.

I loved his internal monologues. I liked the bitter, depressive Max Payne. It seemed real. It seemed like a natural progression for a man who was a former detective and had his family slaughtered. However, I can also empathize with you on that change. I'm a fan of the originals since release and enjoyed Max for who he was, even with Max Payne 3's flaws as a game. I can also completely understand if anyone didn't like Max for how you described. 

One thing I may regrettably admit for topics sake is that maybe I think I would have enjoyed Max Payne 3 more if it stayed in a night time drenched east coast US city either in it's roots in New York or another city like Boston or even Detroit. I was a staunch defender of the idea of going to Brazil. I was so open-minded about it. I'm happy to have explored Sao Paulo through Max Payne and I'm grateful for Rockstar doing something original in that respect. But, now I can see the argument of those wanting it to stay in New York.

• HaythamKenway, Stormingz and Payne Killer like this

ShadowPerson
  • ShadowPerson

I´m the beast that descends from the shadows.

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 4 days ago

The Division... the freakin long walks you must take!

Homemade Dynamite
  • Homemade Dynamite

Melodrama

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Concept 2015 [GTA Online: Liberty City Expansion]

Posted 4 days ago

I've been playing Overwatch for a year now, and It's one of my favorite games. It's not without flaws, however.

I hate the constant "balance changes" that Blizzard implemented. They made my first love D.Va from being awesome to being way too fragile for a Tank (though I've gotten used to it, like I hit the sh*t switch and adjusted to her suckiness, and now I do alright) and they made Bastion from being mildly annoying to a major PITA to fight, especially before they nerfed its passive, where the game might as well have been called "Bastionwatch" because games were decided by which could pocket their Bastion the best. To this day, I bring that up as an example of Blizzard not actually giving a damn about balance.

Also, the lack of real additional content. It's been over a year, and we've only seen three new maps and four new heroes. Come on, Blizzard, you could give us more than that. And much of the new content, such as skins, emotes, voice lines etc. are LOCKED behind temporary events, likely to produce revenue for paid loot boxes. Very little of that content has actually been permanent. I can (sort of) understand holiday events like Halloween and Christmas, but Uprising and Anniversary? Give me a break.

Finally, there's no story in the game itself. Overwatch has a fascinating lore, and I am very much looking forward to the story and how everything is going to happen. That is, when they actually get around to telling that story. As it stands, we get a 10 page comic every three months, and something substantial is even more rare. This is unacceptable. I really hope they have something big planned in the future, because this is making me feel fatigued. There have been hints at more linear media, possibly a Netflix series, and I hope to God it happens because I need something like this in my life. Bring in some graphic novels as well, please. Right now, the game feels almost like a tie-in to something that doesn't actually exist yet.

Now after all that, it might sound like I hate the game, but I don't. Not at all. As mentioned above, it's one of my favorites of this generation, and this is nitpicking. I've put in over 120 hours into the game and I don't see myself stopping any time soon, I just have to disagree with some of Blizzard's practices.

• Audi likes this

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forgetti.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 4 days ago Edited by The Yokel, 4 days ago.

I loved his internal monologues. I liked the bitter, depressive Max Payne. It seemed real. It seemed like a natural progression for a man who was a former detective and had his family slaughtered. However, I can also empathize with you on that change. I'm a fan of the originals since release and enjoyed Max for who he was, even with Max Payne 3's flaws as a game. I can also completely understand if anyone didn't like Max for how you described. 

One thing I may regrettably admit for topics sake is that maybe I think I would have enjoyed Max Payne 3 more if it stayed in a night time drenched east coast US city either in it's roots in New York or another city like Boston or even Detroit. I was a staunch defender of the idea of going to Brazil. I was so open-minded about it. I'm happy to have explored Sao Paulo through Max Payne and I'm grateful for Rockstar doing something original in that respect. But, now I can see the argument of those wanting it to stay in New York.

Max Payne 3 is a game with an incredible gameplay and a terrible story IMO. But more importantly, Max Payne 3 is a symptom of a much bigger problem within Rockstar. Look at their recent stories. They're all about horrible, damaged and unrelatable characters doing horrible things, and it just isn't that fun. They don't know how to write an interesting and compelling character anymore. Their old games were full of goofy and likable characters. Even horrible characters were fun. Like Tenpenny and Pulaski or Lance Vance. And their protagonists like CJ and Tommy Vercetti, despite being some of the most violent characters that they've created, are infinitely more compelling and easier to relate to than any of the characters in GTA IV, GTA V or even Red Dead Redemption. But I'll give GTA IV props for having a few goofy old school GTA moments and characters.

• Mister Pink likes this

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

The Infidel

• Members
  • Cook-Islands

Posted 4 days ago

Mafia III. As stated in the Mafia III thread no fast travel option is really annoying.

Damn 7th gen games spoiled you. Mafia III map is not exactly True Crime NYC to have fast travel.

Now lack of it in Streets of LA was really a problem.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users