Read portable HDD with Samsung tablet using adapter

2 replies to this topic
Nico
  • Nico

Do you think you can tell?

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted A week ago

Is it possible to read a portable HDD unit from a Samsung Galaxy Tab using an adapter? I attempted it, and the tablet does make the HDD work, but I'm unable to access it. The tablet is a 10.1 from a couple of years ago, not the latest model.

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted A week ago

Well, first of virtually any plug and play USB device that works on Linux also works on Android, which is great. I assume you have the necessary cable to connect it to the tablet since you confirmed that it can power the HDD on.

Android has a function called USB On The Go (OTG) that needs to be enabled in order to make USB devices function properly. Since yours is a Samsung device this function has to be enabled manually from the settings menu or some other more complicated way but you can Google a solution for this (presumably there is one for Samsung tablets).

Nico
  • Nico

Do you think you can tell?

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted A week ago

I do have a OTG cable adapter, I bought it precisely to connect my own HDD to the tablet. Problem is, the tablet is not even mine, it belongs to a friend I see once a week. I need to transfer files from my HDD to the tablet, but I don't want to mess up with her stuff.

Anyway, I think I'll just send her the files through email and tell her to transfer them to the tablet before I go. Is nothing urgent really.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users