Net Neutrality, just more big government

17 replies to this topic
Jarlaxle
  • Jarlaxle

Thug

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 July 2017 - 04:29 PM

I do not need the same bandwidth and consistency to load this webpage or an email that I do to watch Netflix in HD or play GTA Online.

If ISP's want to offer a better option for services that need a bigger pipeline let them offer it!

This net "neutrality" thing is just more big government intervention where it's not needed, and will have unintended consequences. Scrap it.

zanesix
  • zanesix

Stupid Malaka

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:54 AM Edited by zanesix, 13 July 2017 - 02:54 AM.

I don't think you have any understanding what net neutrality actually is. I recommend you watch this video:

• Tchuck, epoxi, Mister Pink and 13 others like this

Noale
  • Noale

INKWIZYCJA

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 13 July 2017 - 04:53 AM

I do not need the same bandwidth and consistency to load this webpage or an email that I do to watch Netflix in HD or play GTA Online.

If ISP's want to offer a better option for services that need a bigger pipeline let them offer it!

This net "neutrality" thing is just more big government intervention where it's not needed, and will have unintended consequences. Scrap it.

giphy.gif

• Tchuck, Fuzzknuckles, Pat and 6 others like this

Shaytan
  • Shaytan

"It can't be that difficult"

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:18 PM Edited by Zombified Andy, 13 July 2017 - 03:29 PM.

So, from the depths of your innocence, you believe the abolition of net neutrality will allow ISPs to increase the bandwidth for websites that require it the most due to increased users and heavier content, is that it? So, you truly think ISPs would take this as an opportunity to take the effort of selecting the websites that need more bandwidth based on an equity principle, all of this with as a solely altruistic move to provide a better service to everyone?

From all the narrow-minded, naìve arguments I've read so far against net neutrality, yours has to break all the boundaries. Big corporations don't do anything to truly improve their services unless that means profit. Most likely, by now your ISP has a detailed profile of yourself, with all your networking habits, usage data and more because the US government also believes stopping ISPs from collecting users' data is just "big government intervention where it's not needed"; do you think that's to improve the service provided to you to make it better to your personal needs? Of course no, rather it's to auction all the data and stats to the highest bidder (which can be an advertising agency, the government or who knows else). If you investigate the power it gives to ISPs to control the bandwidth of each site, you can easily wonder all the curious ways they can make money out of that.

Edit: I tried to guess OP's state, I had "bet" for either Texas or Alabama, wasn't that far.
  • Finn 7 five 11, Evil empire and thehambone like this

Matrelith
  • Matrelith

Inveniam viam aut faciam

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:19 PM

I think you got it the wrong way around. 

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

First of his name

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:56 PM Edited by The Yokel, 14 July 2017 - 07:19 AM.

Congratulations on being brainwashed.

Just when I though that people on the internet couldn't get any dumber. I guess it's a good thing that I can still be surprised, even if the surprise is negative.

• Niobium, Cripto136 and Shaytan like this

Evil empire
  • Evil empire

Homie

• Members
  • France

Posted 13 July 2017 - 11:57 PM Edited by Evil empire, 14 July 2017 - 01:07 AM.

Our bosses and corrupt politicians already control the traditional medias so this attempt to give a different bandwidth to the different websistes doesn't suprise me, it will make their opponents sites out of range for the average citizen and make our countries closer and closer to North Korea or USSR.

Hayduke
  • Hayduke

Square Civilian

• The Precinct
  • United-States

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:28 AM

Holy sh*t brainwashing genuinely works. I was skeptical until this day. Net Neutrality, or rather not having net neutrality is an issue that has such massive ramifications for the internet as a whole that even some more new school tech corporations are in favour ofnet neutrality.

What Net Neutrality actually does is ensure that ISPs cannot restrict bandwidth based on the size, funding, google ranking etc of a webpage, not allowing faster speed for bigger websites.

Scrapping Net Neutrality is literally information control and you support it because 'ain't gonna affect mah netflix', are you really so vapid and uncaring about your own liberty and the information you receive that your only concern is NETFLIX!?

• Tchuck, thehambone and Cripto136 like this

ShadowPerson
  • ShadowPerson

Intergalatic Empress of Evil.

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:41 AM

2FABA0FC00000578-3377831-image-a-14_1451

Noale
  • Noale

INKWIZYCJA

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:06 AM

This is what happens when you leave your Intelligence attribute points at zero.

• El Diablo, Tchuck, Kippers and 6 others like this

make total destroy
  • make total destroy

RAD XTREME LEFTIST

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None
  • Not Very Punk 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Bloody Ungrateful 2016

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:19 AM

• Niobium, Femme Fatale and The Deadite like this

Small Moist
  • Small Moist

you can call me... SUPERLIGHTDUSKMASTER99

• Members
  • None
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:14 AM

And here I thought net neutrality was something everyone but wealthy Republican politicians and ISPs supported...

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Lifetime Achievement Award
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:38 AM Edited by GTA3Rockstar, 14 July 2017 - 04:39 AM.

LOL

Can't be much older than a 10 year old... Hell, some 10 year olds are pretty smart, so maybe I'm being too generous.

If they were to remove net neutrality, then you'll have to buy a package, along with just getting basic internet, to play games online, watch Netflix, use Google, log into Facebook, read up on Wiki, etc. Those will all add up, especially since they can charge you whatever they want and let alone, have a data cap to go along with it - unless you want to buy more..

So, that's a big No from me to remove net neutrality. If you want your internet restricted as'f, go live in North Korea

P.s - Be more educated on a subject before you make yourself look foolish next time. :^:

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

XMD5A

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:20 AM

OK, I think people have made their point, maybe it's time to stop insulting the OP's intelligence and rather show and present evidence. Attack the argument not the person. 

• Carbonox and Fallcreek like this

EmSixTeen
  • EmSixTeen

Godfather

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Ireland

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:22 AM

OK, I think people have made their point, maybe it's time to stop insulting the OP's intelligence and rather show and present evidence. Attack the argument not the person. 

I agree with the need to cut out throwing sh*te at him, but I don't really think you can present evidence to someone who has a complete misunderstanding about what they're talking about. Really seems like he's got the wrong end of the stick and ran with it.

• Mister Pink likes this

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:42 AM

I don't want to sound like a tin foil hat guy but seriously what is wrong with government. In Australia the exact same thing is happening this phenomenon where the government is taking away more and more consumer rights and giving large corporations more power for profit. It's despicable and I have been getting more and More motivated to perhaps one day move into politics. I'm still pretty young and have a lot of growing up to do and learning of course but it's so frustrating feeling powerless when everybody is getting screwed.

Niobium
  • Niobium

england is my city

• Members
  • Canada
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:25 PM

if it weren't for your join date being two years ago, i would have believed thay you were either a bot or a troll getting paid by ISPs to spread this nonsense.

yes, ISPs have resorted to this tactic now.

Argonaut
  • Argonaut

what did he mean by this

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 July 2017 - 05:08 PM Edited by Argonaut, 14 July 2017 - 05:14 PM.

Services that require a "bigger pipeline" deal with it themselves when required due to demand and the like. As others have said, you have completely misunderstood what this is about and how the Internet works; sites are all not hosted in one group as you seem to presuppose in a system that has levers to restrict bandwidth on certain ones. All are hosted independently, which highlights how ISPs in this proposal are trying to artificially change how the Internet works based on whether site owners can cough up enough money for "fast access".

Oh, and Trump appointed the guy who wants this to happen, which should particularly sting Trumptards who may often champion equal free speech and highlight leftists who restrict it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users